AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-09-19, 11:55   Link #10541
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Okay, now that I think I understand a little more about what Nisio is trying to accomplish with this character and this arc, I think I'm a hell of a lot more enthusiastic about the manga again.
Spoiler for speculation:
But didn't she still accomplish this in the end of the True Flask Plan Arc? It would seem that she saw an impossibility being made right in front of her.
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 12:19   Link #10542
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnEmperor View Post
what the heck? How does Iihiko qualify as a protagonist character? Is it just some overpowered designation now?
The idea is that there are some people who "win" no matter what, but that these kind of people only appear once every thousand years or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfenstein View Post
But didn't she still accomplish this in the end of the True Flask Plan Arc? It would seem that she saw an impossibility being made right in front of her.
Well, yeah, she "beat a protagonist", so now the only thing left that she can't do is kill herself.

Last edited by Tyabann; 2012-09-19 at 13:34.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 14:45   Link #10543
orangejuicetang

Quote:
Although the way she 'beat' a protagonist was pretty indirectly. Since from what I recall, she pretty much Zen confront Medaka rather then going against Medaka herself directly by making Zen into an 'artificial protagonist' or something, and then the competition between the two was an 'indirect' one like the elections rather than a 'direct' one like a battle or something. So perhaps it's still possible for a 'protagonist' to defeat her in a direct battle or something?

Well, that's all just random guessing and theorycrafting on my end, so feel free to dismiss it as wrong.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 15:35   Link #10544
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
So perhaps it's still possible for a 'protagonist' to defeat her in a direct battle or something?
That's exactly why Iihiko beats her. Protagonists, by definition (the definition used here, at least), do not lose.
Old 2012-09-19, 16:01   Link #10545
Wolfenstein

Ah, I see where you're getting at.
Old 2012-09-19, 17:08   Link #10546
Naginoura
匂宮家

This is why it's always better to wait a little before going all crazy about a chapter with Nisio --and spoilers no less. Iihiko looks like he came from a different world... Maybe he was active in an Edo period manga, travelling with a monk or something... (with his Asura like design and all)

Naginoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 17:20   Link #10547
Wolfenstein

You know, Orange, it's still strange, since Medaka herself said she'd lose to Ajimu, and she's the protagonist.

I guess It was possible she was just bullshiting us. One way or the other, she was giving us false information in the sentence "I'd prostrate before her", If she's still a MC.
Old 2012-09-19, 17:49   Link #10548
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
Well, if Ajimu can't beat Iihiko that would mean he's the main antagonist (i do not know what the japanese term for protagonist is, but if it's something along the lines of main character, or centre character, then the main antagonist-protagonist pair should be untouchable for Ajimu)
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 18:45   Link #10549
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
You know, Orange, it's still strange, since Medaka herself said she'd lose to Ajimu, and she's the protagonist.

I guess It was possible she was just bullshiting us. One way or the other, she was giving us false information in the sentence "I'd prostrate before her", If she's still a MC.
Just because Medaka believes that she stands no chance against Ajimu does not mean that she actually wouldn't.
Old 2012-09-19, 20:03   Link #10550
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Just because Medaka believes that she stands no chance against Ajimu does not mean that she actually wouldn't.
A fair enough statement, but I did say that one way or the other, she was giving us false information.
Old 2012-09-19, 20:07   Link #10551
novalysis

Quote:
A fair enough statement, but I did say that one way or the other, she was giving us false information.
I think it's more likely that she doesn't know the limits of her ability, The End. More likely, the kind of minuses that she'd have to acquire to stand a prayer of beating Ajimu would be the kind Kumagawa has. It's possible that she is aware enough that copying such skills is a horrible idea.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 20:30   Link #10552
Wolfenstein

Really, it's unknown at this point. Ajimu said he can easily cancel her The End, so meh.
Old 2012-09-19, 22:26   Link #10553
DawnEmperor

Well remember, Ajimu beating Medaka isn't just about fighting. I think Ajimu's aware she could defeat her, but it wouldn't bring her any satisfaction.

I was wonder....did Devil Style really mean anything? We've heard the characters rationalize it for how Zenkichi managed to win against Medaka, and why Kumagawa didn't see his old foes(which seems like a coincidence in of itself).
DawnEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 23:18   Link #10554
orangejuicetang

Quote:

I wonder if that's possibly be because she got 'shocked and awed', so to speak. As in, Ajimu showed off her numerous skills and 'wow'd' Medaka into thinking she'd stand no chance, and she normally wouldn't. But if the two actually got into a fight, Medaka's 'protagonist modifier' would kick in and there would be some kind of coincidence or something along those lines that would allow Medaka to somehow pull out a victory, or something. Hence how 'devil style' is the 'nullification of the protaganist's privilege', or however Ajimu described it. But returning to the Ajimu vs Medaka deviless style fight, it's possible that despite completely outclassing her, due to Medaka's 'protagonist' classification, Medaka will win through some coincidence. However, Medaka doesn't really think of her as a 'protagonist', and thus doesn't really expect/think about those 'coincidences', so she thinks she'll lose. On the other hand, Ajimu knows about those 'protagonist coincidences', so she thinks Medaka will win.

Once again, I'm just randomly fanwanking here, feel free to tell me how wrong I am.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
Old 2012-09-19, 23:38   Link #10555
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnEmperor View Post
I wonder....did Devil Style really mean anything? We've heard the characters rationalize it for how Zenkichi managed to win against Medaka, and why Kumagawa didn't see his old foes(which seems like a coincidence in of itself).
I liked to think that Devil Style was the perfect microcosm of the new world of Medaka Box, the new kind of protagonist it had, and Zenkichi's new mentality.

Now, though? Yea, seems rather...more than largely forgotten? Maybe Nishio has something in store for it or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange
I wonder if that's possibly be because she got 'shocked and awed', so to speak. As in, Ajimu showed off her numerous skills and 'wow'd' Medaka into thinking she'd stand no chance, and she normally wouldn't. But if the two actually got into a fight, Medaka's 'protagonist modifier' would kick in and there would be some kind of coincidence or something along those lines that would allow Medaka to somehow pull out a victory, or something. Hence how 'devil style' is the 'nullification of the protaganist's privilege', or however Ajimu described it. But returning to the Ajimu vs Medaka deviless style fight, it's possible that despite completely outclassing her, due to Medaka's 'protagonist' classification, Medaka will win through some coincidence. However, Medaka doesn't really think of her as a 'protagonist', and thus doesn't really expect/think about those 'coincidences', so she thinks she'll lose. On the other hand, Ajimu knows about those 'protagonist coincidences', so she thinks Medaka will win.
But, you know what I find even more interesting? Before being "defeated" by Zenkichi, Medaka never once seemed worried about facing Ajimu in combat.

I guess it is purely a personality thing.
Old 2012-09-20, 02:00   Link #10556
orangejuicetang

Well, if I remember correctly, Medaka would constantly make snarky comments about how Ajimu was overestimating her and Ajimu could easily overwhelm her with her 600 billion people and however many skills, with Ajimu then replying that Medaka would still win.

But anyway, if we take Ajimu's descriptions of 'protagonists' to be true, then that means the only one who can defeat Iihiko are other protagonists, meaning Medaka herself or possibly Zen, if he still qualifies as an 'artificial protagonist'.

Although thinking about it again from yet another view, I have the feeling Shiranui will play a large role, since for the most part this arc seems to focus on her

Old 2012-09-20, 02:59   Link #10557
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Well, if I remember correctly, Medaka would constantly make snarky comments about how Ajimu was overestimating her and Ajimu could easily overwhelm her with her 600 billion people and however many skills, with Ajimu then replying that Medaka would still win.

But anyway, if we take Ajimu's descriptions of 'protagonists' to be true, then that means the only one who can defeat Iihiko are other protagonists, meaning Medaka herself or possibly Zen, if he still qualifies as an 'artificial protagonist'.

Although thinking about it again from yet another view, I have the feeling Shiranui will play a large role, since for the most part this arc seems to focus on her
12,858,051,967,633,864 skills I believe, and Zen is in a way the "protagonist" of this still I guess
Old 2012-09-20, 07:32   Link #10558
17Sevens

Quote:
Now, though? Yea, seems rather...more than largely forgotten?
Wait a minute... if Devil Style basically means that the manga (it's a very meta-ability, after all) won't go the way it is expected for the protagonist... then the fact that it didn't become very important is defying expectation, as clearly outlined by nearly everyone's posts. Devil Style is at it again!!
17Sevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-20, 07:37   Link #10559
Wolfenstein

Maybe. But if so, I think I'd like Nishio to kinda show some restraint with it like he did in the True Flask Plan Arc. That seemed to be the perfect medium for the ability.

Now, I don't think anyone who read the Jet Black Bride arc would've considered Zenkichi the protagonist, but, when you read the previous arc, it's more than apparent.

Because he just dosen't feel like the protagonist anymore. And that's freakishly important. At least, for me. Since it was basically the point of the True Flask Plan arc.
Old 2012-09-20, 07:45   Link #10560
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

Well.
Spoiler for chapter 163 spoilers, do not open if you're not ready. Like, seriously.:
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council