AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2006-05-29, 11:38   Link #41
ShuiMei

BONNIE PINK is one of my favourite Japanese artists who ocassionally sings in English. I also really love OCEANLANE and ELLEGARDEN, and there's the aforementioned Rie fu

Utada, Kuraki Mai, Crystal Kay, have all released albums in the United States, but with little success. Miz has released stuff in Sweden and Yaida Hitomi had some moderate success with her releases in the UK.
ShuiMei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 08:00   Link #42
K.M. Revolution

I can not believe that that DISCRIMINATION was implied here or should i say somewhat hurting people

sorry for the big word there but can you reflect if these words will be sent in Japan and being read by the Japanese artists

just like the Desperate Housewives issue against my fellow Filipinos

Look if you are [or we] are banning Japanese people to sing/peak in English that was a DANGEROUS

that was contradicting because English is the UNIVERSAL LANGUAGE

sorry for this S****,F****** post here

maybe I am defensive but those posts on the first page was painful

if I am only Japanese maybe I will react more offended

For me at least they are learning, being artist you must know how to connect to the world, learning new languages etc....etc...etc...etc

I will leave a qoute here so please understand and it really happened to me

"If you hate one that means you will hate all"

Again sorry for this post
K.M. Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 09:28   Link #43
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Chill dude. Ignore those dudes who think they score perfect in the only language they know. Next thing you know, they're going to argue which English is better: British or American.

Sure, Japlish is pretty laughable but hey, most of the Japanese singers aren't really marketing their stuff to an overseas market, so why should they care what those white skinned people feel about their Engrish? Man, Japanese aren't the only ones trying to adapt Engrish into their native songs, there're Indians, Chinese, Koreans etc. There's a lot more laughable Engrish in the world than you think.

Anyway back to topic, my favourite Japanese singer who sings AND writes English songs would be Bonnie Pink. The group Love Psychedelico has pretty awesome English songs as well. Sakamoto Maaya has a few English songs under her belt, and her pronounciation is actually pretty good for someone who knows little English.
musashiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 09:32   Link #44
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Angela Aki. She's good, seriously.

Beat crusaders.. their pronunciation, articulation and lyrics may not be good, but the music and style is excellent.
Phantasmagoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 11:15   Link #45
Flame-X
Anti-fan

some jrock bands sing completely in english. one is X Japan's Art of Life and I.V.
the other is a band called Pay money To my Pain, however they sing very emo-ish stuff. =\
one jpop artist i can think of is Ryohei Yamamoto. his cover albums are all in english. I personally recommend him.
Old 2008-01-28, 11:55   Link #46
Ama no Kagaseo
Your local dark deity.

Send a message via MSN to Ama no Kagaseo Send a message via Yahoo to Ama no Kagaseo
I can't believe you guys have 't mentioned the pillows at all. They sing in both Japanese and English, and their English is pretty alright, granted it's not fluent but it's understandable.

Anyway, in regards to Japanese people being BANNED FROM SINGING IN ENGLISH OGOD!!1!!

You make it sound like everyone who listens to Japanese music understands it, too. Which is NOT the case at all. For me, what it comes down to is.. Does it mater what language it is? Personally, I don't give a shit what the words are, what the language is, or what the meaning is as long as the voice compliments the music and makes a song.

So.. Engrish, Japanese, or fluent English doesn't matter from my point of view, as long as what they're making is good music.
Ama no Kagaseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 18:56   Link #47
UzumakiW
J-rocker

Send a message via AIM to UzumakiW Send a message via Yahoo to UzumakiW
Hmmm....well because I love J-rock and J-pop music, I know a lot of bands who sing songs in all English or with English phrases. Some examples of this are:

Blood Stain Child
Deathgaze
Intestine Baalism
Gazette
D'espairs Ray
Siam Shade
etc...

There's a big lis of artists who do this. And as for people saying that Japanese people should be banned from singing in English is just plain stupid to say. Not everybody who listens to Japanese music knows what they're saying, but they like it because it sounds good. Why is it different if they sing in English? If the artists want to sing some English songs, who has the right to say no? It shouldn't matter what language it's in, if it sounds good, that's all that matters.
UzumakiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 08:21   Link #48
K.M. Revolution

X Japan

Beat Crusaders

How about .hack songs they are english
K.M. Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 09:19   Link #49
Nicest of the Damned
hikikomori

Ellegarden (a 'pop-punk' band in the vein of blink-182, Simple Plan, Newfound Glory etc.) sing almost all of their songs in English, and quite well I might add. The lead singer apparently spent a lot of time working in the U.S, so he's had a lot of practice with the language. Some things still sound strange though.
Nicest of the Damned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 14:17   Link #50
DarkHonour

Sometimes when Love Psychedelico sings, their songs tend to sound very English especially when their songs are almost covered with English words.

the brilliant green sings some English songs too although you may want to question Tomoko Kawase's standard of English. Quite evident of it in her Tommy Heavenly solo project.
DarkHonour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-03, 06:02   Link #51
Enchaos Ivan
AsuNegi FTW & I <3 Chacha

Well, I had to admit that most JP singers using ENG are rather bad, but, despite the poor lyrics, heavy accents and such, its really fun to hear if you like its beats and etc

for example

"Hit in the USA" by Beat Crusaders, the english accent is rather half light but heavier, which appeals to the good mix of music as well

but Utada Hikaru's Simple and Clean is what stands out in most English songs that the japs did, it shows off the effect of calming and lament, which almost mixes well for me
Enchaos Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-03, 07:26   Link #52
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
Mai Kuraki - Secret of my heart album

old detective Conan theme song, but certainly one of her best T_T
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-03, 07:28   Link #53
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
Japan should be banned from using english.

It's like giving a little kid a gun...

-Tofu
Quote:
AGREED. English songs by the Japanese, more often than not, blow chunks. Witness: all of Utada Hikaru's fucking English album. Absolutely embarrassingly atrocious.
QFMFT xD
- I had to correct someone elses romaji and try to translate the 2nd Naruto OP (you are my friend)
Let's jut say my deep hatred of the debuchary of the english langugage phonetically grew from that song;
Japanese artists (ideally) should by law be made to take the English evquivalent of JLPT level 2 before even condsidering touching English, unless they have an english parent of some sort and went to an international school, where their pronounciation for both languages is awesome. (see Crystal Kay)

It gets really ridiculous when for example when I went karaoke in Tokyo and sang the D-Techonlife tune for Bleach OP2, so I was seeing the lyrics on screen in full for the first time, that I stopped singing and was stumped cause I saw english words on the TV screen and was like "the hell!?! There's english in this song!?!?!
(Much to the amusement of my friend at the time.)
The "english" that for the love of me, i never caught by ear whenever I listened to the song in full, that's gotta be saying something, right? :\

Or are some of the musical fans here got a sharper ear for being able to weed out Engrish sentences from Japanese sentences by listening alone, no matter how bad the accents of the singers?
(on a side note, mystie still makes it a mission of hers anytime her Japanese friends ask: )
Them: 'I want to speak better, what advice do you have?'
Me: The katakana alphabet? Forget about it. It's not 'shinima' but 'cinema' (si-ni-ma), not 'tsu-' but 'two' (tu), etc.
- and yes, i do help them to learn to develop sounds that they've never had to develop in their lifetime, but it's harder on their end to be honest.

At the end of the day, technically when singers use engrish in their music, their audience is primary for those in japan. (not us, lol - it's something we need to keep at the back of our minds to be honest)
They can't tell the difference between accents of Americans or British or Austrailians; I doubt they're too bothered about their accents of their English in general, as long as they're not addressing any native English speakers. (sadly)

As long as it's in there, it's 'cool' and helps to sell more records.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2008-06-03 at 07:41.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-03, 11:58   Link #54
patnam

abingdon boys school
sure you will find some english songs in its first album...
patnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 10:25   Link #55
Ichihara

Yeah. abingdon boys school is pretty awesome ( Though there english may to hard to understand, but its not their native language..) The lyrics to those english songs are quite good too. I love "Desert Rose" for both its lyrics and tune.

Well, Utada Hikaru and Angela Aki came to mind. I wouldn't say I heard much from Angela Aki, but her songs have great tunes. As for Hikki, I really love her lyrics, and her voice <3 Have I mentioned the english sneaked into Hikki's songs are equally awesome?
Ichihara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 12:04   Link #56
mandarb916

hearing Japanese trying to speak/sing English is just as bad as hearing Americans (or westerners in general) trying to speak Japanese.

back on topic though...I'm not familiar with her works, but ELISA's performance with Euphoric Field (ef OP) is beautiful both in Japanese and English. English still has a hint of Japanese accent, but it's better than most that I've heard.

Rocky Chack (chuck?) sounds god awful horrible in Spice+Wolf ED...
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 14:47   Link #57
imarhiagbe
Make the flood seem still

I live in England but i'm Nigerian Isn't that weird :P? I like listening to American band, Linkin Park. You might have heard of them. Anyway, people who sing in English but really have a thick accent should stick to their native language. There is a reason why Japanese music is unpopular. Although emozart are decent.
imarhiagbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 17:31   Link #58
Oo Izumi oO

I believe Utada Hikaru is the only one I actually thought wasn't Japanese. She just sounded like she was born speaking english. But, yeah, I've noticed it. And, I agree about Euphoric Field .
Oo Izumi oO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 23:37   Link #59
Same_Shark

Japanese kids are required to take English classes at some time in their life. I'm sure most Japanese citizens have a VERY BASIC understanding of the English language. I honestly don't mind when Japanese singers use English in their songs. There's no reason to be pissed off at them for it, afterall, we butcher their language with "carry-ohkey" and "ca-rot-ee."
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 01:55   Link #60
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oo Izumi oO View Post
I believe Utada Hikaru is the only one I actually thought wasn't Japanese. She just sounded like she was born speaking english. But, yeah, I've noticed it. And, I agree about Euphoric Field .
I'm pretty sure Utada was born in NY and grew up stateside
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote