AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-31, 11:25   Link #401
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
Lastly, when she opened the door to the outside, part of me thought it might be a Dark City reference. Which would be really fitting, since the Fairies seem to act pretty close to the villains in that movie.
Isn't it a reference to The Truman Show?

And remember, the plot of The Truman Show begins when a lighting fixture falls from the "sky".
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 15:33   Link #402
bbee

Dropping this after 5 eps. Not even sure why I kept watching this long, the senseless randomness had me throughly annoyed after 2 eps already. There was a bit of satire in ep4 that was somewhat worth watching, but nowhere near enough to justify wasting any more time on this show. Ep 5 was back to the standard meaningless total-randomness of story and vacuous characters with no personality.
If this was even remotely funny, I could forgive the randomness, but as is, given that absolutely anything could happen, I find it impossible to care about the characters or what little story there is.
Old 2012-07-31, 17:34   Link #403
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbee View Post
Dropping this after 5 eps. Not even sure why I kept watching this long, the senseless randomness had me throughly annoyed after 2 eps already. There was a bit of satire in ep4 that was somewhat worth watching, but nowhere near enough to justify wasting any more time on this show. Ep 5 was back to the standard meaningless total-randomness of story and vacuous characters with no personality.
If this was even remotely funny, I could forgive the randomness, but as is, given that absolutely anything could happen, I find it impossible to care about the characters or what little story there is.
Well, "quality" anime are not for everyone. If you don't get the humor, miss the character development, and think that it's random, there are plenty of other anime with better subtitles that are easier to enjoy

My only complain for this one are the subs, CR localizes and interpretes, instead of translates, like most appreciated fansubbers, but in with this one it messed up several times to the point of confusing a lot of viewers (save for ep.04 which was the most accessible to "outsiders")
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 17:41   Link #404
Midonin
Last Engage

I don't think all those cases of viewers getting confused was strictly the fault of the subtitles. One of them I will fully admit was wholly my own fault. The subtitles themselves have been fine.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 22:00   Link #405
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
I think that it's also the director (or scriptwriter) to blame, because, to tell the truth, the direction is lacking in this anime.
Spoiler for "SHOW DON'T TELL" ©:

I'm not Aroduc but I fully agree that this moment was quite stupid in terms of direction.
I think that the first 2 episodes had the best direction for now.

Last edited by Iby; 2012-08-01 at 00:24.
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 00:25   Link #406
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iby View Post
I think that it's also the director (or scriptwriter) to blame, because, to tell the truth, the direction is lacking in this anime.
Spoiler for "SHOW DON'T TELL" ©:

I'm not Aroduc but I fully agree that this moment was quite stupid in terms of direction.
I think that the first 2 episodes were the best directed for now.
I was laughing at that scene. The "Humans Get with the Program" moment. Chance of survival proportional to fairy density.
Old 2012-08-01, 02:58   Link #407
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Well, Romeo's writing is superb and I'm not criticizing him.
BTW speaking of preorders...

As you can see, the last episode didn't go very well with it's audience.
Old 2012-08-01, 03:22   Link #408
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
I don't think all those cases of viewers getting confused was strictly the fault of the subtitles. One of them I will fully admit was wholly my own fault. The subtitles themselves have been fine.
Of course not! Episodes 1-3, particulalry 3 had subbing problems. Another factor is that a lot of information is either considered a spoiler (for example here) or is non-existent (in other otherwise informative anime sites). Add to that 2channers' trolling and you get a lot of viewers confused. This didn't happen last year with Mawaru Penguin Drum for example, which was even more complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iby View Post
Well, Romeo's writing is superb and I'm not criticizing him.
BTW speaking of preorders...

As you can see, the last episode didn't go very well with it's audience.
I disagree with the assessment, the first two arcs were more referential, while this one more approachable abroad, that alone can explain the trend since the consumer base has well known quirks that do not converge with the preferences of foreigners.

As for the direction, I think the second arc had the most brilliant approach with a very difficult script to adapt (visually). The current arc, I will agree that seems inferior, but I'd rather wait the completion of the arc before judging.

It's a little naive to judge series by episode, I understand that it is common because of the need of financers and the audience to decide upon devoting resources, but artistically it's the least unfair.
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-01, 04:51   Link #409
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

While I don't agree with your statement that the problem is in the more approachable content (the direction in the last episode was jarring and not inspiring, e.g. that manual scene), I'm interested in how will those people who preorder discs react to the 6th and 7th episodes.
Old 2012-08-02, 14:51   Link #410
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I watched the first 2 episodes and while I can't say I love this show, it was surely entertaining.

The best part is the wtf scene that could be described as Noe Isurugi's worst nightmare, and our female lead TL;DR'ing the evil speech while the translator was working improperly.

Fornicate you, female dog!

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 17:53   Link #411
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
what thread is complete without a Bollywood parody ?

Well, South Indian movie industry (making the distinction because this is far more prominent there than rest of India) likes to have shit tons of songs with shit tons of backdancers. Oddly fitting in this case given the shit ton of fairies in the background and the random dance in the original.

Ugh... it was really hard to follow this episode. Maybe even too hard. If they are really are packing in more stuff into this and the next episode than the previous arcs of two episode each, then I have to admit I think that's a horrible idea. It is rather tough to follow this when it gets this jarring.
Old 2012-08-05, 10:57   Link #412
Midonin
Last Engage

End of the World Party 06 - Super Eclectic Striker

And once again, I find myself being more interested in the characters that are only around for a fortnight. Mai may have her wits about her, but Pion and Oyage are Nana Mizuki and Nobuyuki Hiyama, they dress like superheroes, and can turn into giant cats. They don't do a very good job at being human, but that just makes them all the more lovable. Even if the end was kind of Carl Sagany, with how vast space is and how much nothingness there is in it, seeing the two probes make some friends on Earth was pretty heartwarming. And they're waiting, just in case they want to talk like old friends some day. The start of this two-parter was a little confusing, but the end was a lot of fun.

And so, the show circles back to where it began, sort of. Where to go after this?

Last edited by Midonin; 2012-08-05 at 18:28. Reason: "Nobu-" and then my brain gave out
Old 2012-08-05, 15:09   Link #413
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Episode 06

What's with the "THE END"-ish type of ending for this episode?

Wow, what a wacky fun episode from dumb robots to large adorable killer cats.

I have to ask, but what the heck does "dealimasu" mean? Pion keeps saying at the end of each sentence.
Old 2012-08-05, 15:22   Link #414
Midonin
Last Engage

It's であります, which in Japanese means you're speaking formally. Nana Mizuki uses the same method of speech for Ricotta in Dog Days.
Old 2012-08-05, 15:32   Link #415
Dawnstorm

Things are actually coming together for me, although I'm not quite sure how to express it.

I think that a fairy might be a rogue nano-bot colony. Instead of grey goo, think rainbow goo. They cohere only because they have meaning; thus to be "alive" they need meaning (i.e. entertainment). They can't produce that themselves, so they need to keep humans alive for that.

That's just the basic shape of my theory. I'm not hot on any of the details. But it would make sense that they wouldn't like to be around electricity. And the multi-coloured slimes would also make sense. It's even possible that one of the satellites has brought them from space (depending who crashed first and how long ago, or if time travel is involved, too).

In any case, I feel the show is highly coherent SF.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 16:42   Link #416
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
End of the World Party 06 - Super Eclectic Striker

And once again, I find myself being more interested in the characters that are only around for a fortnight. Mai may have her wits about her, but Pion and Oyage are Nana Mizuki and Nobuhiko Okamoto, they dress like superheroes, and can into giant cats. They don't do a very good job at being human, but that just makes them all the more lovable. Even if the end was kind of Carl Sagany, with how vast space is and how much nothingness there is in it, seeing the two probes make some friends on Earth was pretty heartwarming. And they're waiting, just in case they want to talk like old friends some day. The start of this two-parter was a little confusing, but the end was a lot of fun.

And so, the show circles back to where it began, sort of. Where to go after this?
That was actually Hiyama Nobuyuki as Oyage.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 16:45   Link #417
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That was actually Hiyama Nobuyuki as Oyage.
That's who I was thinking of, but not who I actually typed. Something must have gotten lost in transmission there.
Old 2012-08-05, 16:48   Link #418
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Memory leakage due to microwaves.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 18:13   Link #419
Dop
Mmmm....

I did like the reference to the Pioneer anomaly. This is a very real phenomenon where Pioneer 10 and 11 were observed to have slowed down for no absolutely known reason.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 18:18   Link #420
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I liked Episode 6. My views on it are similar to Midonin's.

One of Jinrui's biggest strengths in both this arc and the last has been the guest characters. They've been pretty fun to watch, and they really add a lot to the show.

That being said, I'm not exactly sure what is being lampooned or satirized here. Shonen action and shonen tropes? Sci-fi stories about AIs/robots wanting to be human? I saw bits and pieces of both, and they did make me chuckle a bit, but I didn't get anything all that coherent from the episode as a whole (certainly nothing like the manga arc).

But then, maybe I missed some humor due to how this episode actually worked as just a straight-up semi-serious sci-fi story to me. It was oddly heartwarming and pleasing in a way. And it was nice to see the main character really play a pivotal role here, by taking risky actions (and ultimately punishment) in order to help the two probes, rather than simply going along with the plot.

Tags
fantasy, shounen