AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2012-11-08, 05:33   Link #61
revive4563

I came back for this and JoJo
I watched the episode 01 and caught the scent of youth from Initial: D as always

btw I feel pity for Katsu-Anri (VA).
He is playing uncool guy in anime always, in spite of cool guy who is playing guitar on his band.
This time...he's playing Fake Takumi
revive4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 08:11   Link #62
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

from music, character design even old same style animation

episode 1 can't be more Initial D than this

IIRC Natsuki and Takumi started dating again after 3rd Stage (Movie)

almost nothing happened during 4th Stage and now they break up already?
Old 2012-11-08, 09:47   Link #63
steven3242

anyone know whats the music that played when the AE86 appear (by drifting) to show off the fake one? its almost at end of the episode.

the music is godly as usual i see

EDIT : found it (thanks to initial d forum), the song called gas gas gas by manuel.

Last edited by steven3242; 2012-11-08 at 09:59.
steven3242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 11:28   Link #64
Uribatake

Loved this first episode, but am I the only one who's a bit weirded out by how the characters never age, even though the series started back in the late '90s? To me, it's like meeting a bunch of friends from high school and realizing they're still up to the same stuff from back then. Maybe I'd feel differently if I had kept up with the manga instead of patiently waiting for a new season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post
IIRC Natsuki and Takumi started dating again after 3rd Stage (Movie)

almost nothing happened during 4th Stage and now they break up already?
Takumi and Natsuki made their peace with one another at the end of Third Stage, but they didn't really start dating again. By the time Fourth Stage started, she had already moved to Tokyo.
Uribatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 12:04   Link #65
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uribatake View Post
Loved this first episode, but am I the only one who's a bit weirded out by how the characters never age, even though the series started back in the late '90s?
That's because in the story time it's been barely one year after Takumi graduated from high school and IIRC Project D only start the first spring after Takumi graduated, and Takumi only started racing during his final year in high school - and like Itsuki and Takumi was discussing in the car last summer they still had school holidays but they just realised starting from this year they don't have summer holidays anymore, so if you add up all the times the entire story of Initial D takes place within a span of something like only 2 years, whereas we've waited many years in real life between each series. I think it's been six years since 4th stage according to the anime webpage.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 13:50   Link #66
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
It backfires, cause it looks cool. You don't need a misfiring system to backfire. There's been plenty of times where cars have backfired in the show without misfiring systems.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_a_car_backfire
It did 3 backfires in a second, it that's normal for a backfire....
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 14:08   Link #67
Uribatake

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
That's because in the story time it's been barely one year after Takumi graduated from high school and IIRC Project D only start the first spring after Takumi graduated, and Takumi only started racing during his final year in high school - and like Itsuki and Takumi was discussing in the car last summer they still had school holidays but they just realised starting from this year they don't have summer holidays anymore, so if you add up all the times the entire story of Initial D takes place within a span of something like only 2 years, whereas we've waited many years in real life between each series. I think it's been six years since 4th stage according to the anime webpage.
I know that, but it makes me wonder if the current chapters are set "now" or in an indeterminate year in the '00s. If the characters were still stuck in the '90s, Shigeno wouldn't be able to include modern cars in the story, but it's hard to imagine some stuff from the early arcs happening only two years ago. That whole thing with Iketani not being able to tell Mako he was stuck in a traffic jam was easy to accept in a time where cell phones weren't as widespread, but nowadays it would never happen.
Uribatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 21:59   Link #68
steven3242

one thing does get upgraded though.

now they are using "proper" modern phone, not the "nokia" one
steven3242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 22:16   Link #69
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Hey, at least it ain't as bad as Ah! My Goddess. Been running for about almost 20-odd years, while only two years or so in-universe have passed.

Also FUCK YES INITIAL D.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 00:21   Link #70
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Quote:
Takumi and Natsuki made their peace with one another at the end of Third Stage, but they didn't really start dating again. By the time Fourth Stage started, she had already moved to Tokyo.
ah yeah thanks for the explanation

what happened during the 4th stage, except the last race is kinda blur to me
Old 2012-11-09, 03:58   Link #71
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
I know that, but it makes me wonder if the current chapters are set "now" or in an indeterminate year in the '00s. If the characters were still stuck in the '90s, Shigeno wouldn't be able to include modern cars in the story, but it's hard to imagine some stuff from the early arcs happening only two years ago. That whole thing with Iketani not being able to tell Mako he was stuck in a traffic jam was easy to accept in a time where cell phones weren't as widespread, but nowadays it would never happen.
I think while Shigeno takes quite some liberty with when the story takes place, the time span in the story is pretty much fixed (so everything we've seen takes place over a span of two years). As for the cars, the newest car model he had drawn I think is the Nissan Fairlady/350Z which was first released in 2003, but otherwise the other cars are pretty much 90s or before cars. It may as well because since the 2000s most of the Japanese car makers had totally shifted from making sports car anyway so it's not like there are really any sports car he could include in the story, also considering a lot of the racers in the story aren't exactly making big money I doubt they would be using the latest cars anyway.
Old 2012-11-09, 04:11   Link #72
touge-n00b
ZC6 Eishi

Quote:
, also considering a lot of the racers in the story aren't exactly making big money I doubt they would be using the latest cars anyway.
Sheesh with all the money Ryosuke pours into Project D he could probably afford a brand new Toyota 86 or Subaru BRZ with mods!!
touge-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 04:55   Link #73
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by touge-n00b View Post
Sheesh with all the money Ryosuke pours into Project D he could probably afford a brand new Toyota 86 or Subaru BRZ with mods!!
Why would you do that? A new 86GT or the BRZ cost between 3-4 million yen, you could easily find a cheap second hand Lancer EVO V or VI for 500k-700k yen and fix that for a much better base platform to work with and still have a couple of million to burn on mods.
Old 2012-11-09, 07:19   Link #74
brocko

Car timeline in Initial D is out of wack, don't bother trying to make sense of it all. Cars pop up earlier before they're actually made because they can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
It did 3 backfires in a second, it that's normal for a backfire....
Good observation, I'm not quite knowledgeable enough to say for sure, but you might be onto something here.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 21:06   Link #75
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Damn I just watched the first episode and I was smiling like an idiot the whole time.

Welcome back old friend. XD

Plus new love interest for Tak should be good.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 03:19   Link #76
touge-n00b
ZC6 Eishi

Quote:
Why would you do that? A new 86GT or the BRZ cost between 3-4 million yen, you could easily find a cheap second hand Lancer EVO V or VI for 500k-700k yen and fix that for a much better base platform to work with and still have a couple of million to burn on mods.
I'm not saying they should do it, I'm just using it as an example showing that Project D certainly spends much more money than the average enthusiast.
Old 2012-11-10, 04:13   Link #77
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by touge-n00b View Post
I'm not saying they should do it, I'm just using it as an example showing that Project D certainly spends much more money than the average enthusiast.
I dunno, most of the cost would actually be fuel and tires and maintenance, otherwise we haven't really seen them make outrages mods to the mechanical side of things on Project D, plus Project D has their own mechanics, so that would also take a huge part of the cost out of the equation. Also Japan has a very healthy and competitive auto parts market - both OEM and after market for the entire car, you can get really good bargains on parts if you know where to look. The only reason JDM parts are so expensive overseas is only because of the exchange rate and logistics of moving these parts, otherwise things in Japan are a lot more manageable.

Though I'd still like to see how much it costs to maintain Keisuke's FD, having owned one myself I can only imagine the tire and fuel cost must be through the roof with the way he drives.
Old 2012-11-10, 05:58   Link #78
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

IIRC at this point Ryousuke is resigned to having to take over his parents hospital, thus he lives vicariously through Keisuke.

That said, what I would really like would be to see that FC ride again. XD also the OP suggests that Emperor might show up again...

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 15:10   Link #79
touge-n00b
ZC6 Eishi

Quote:
I dunno, most of the cost would actually be fuel and tires and maintenance, otherwise we haven't really seen them make outrages mods to the mechanical side of things on Project D, plus Project D has their own mechanics, so that would also take a huge part of the cost out of the equation. Also Japan has a very healthy and competitive auto parts market - both OEM and after market for the entire car, you can get really good bargains on parts if you know where to look. The only reason JDM parts are so expensive overseas is only because of the exchange rate and logistics of moving these parts, otherwise things in Japan are a lot more manageable.

Though I'd still like to see how much it costs to maintain Keisuke's FD, having owned one myself I can only imagine the tire and fuel cost must be through the roof with the way he drives.
I don't know, an Re Amemiya kit and Advan RGIIs for Keisukes car, plus a van full of Bridgestone RE-01Rs seems like it wouldn't be cheap no matter where you live. But I'm forced to look at the world through the eyes of a poor car enthusiast so yeah.
Old 2012-11-10, 18:57   Link #80
slidingk1

Any info how many episodes we are going to get. I have a feeling that we will be missing a few bits unless they give us 24 episodes. Reason the NSX in the intro is well very much down the road from where they left off. Although the manga chapters are very short so animewise it should be fairly easy to do.

I have a feeling the NSX race is kinda like last boss. After that we will get a "new" area move that they will use to conclude the story. Then everyone waits another 4 years for another anime adaptation.

Tags
seinen, sports