AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-29, 19:53   Link #701
Vena
Carpe Diem

Excellent episode.

We didn't see chibi-Wien, what is this world coming too?!
Old 2012-07-29, 20:29   Link #702
Midonin
Last Engage

たりたり♪♪ 05 - The Eternal Blade

So Ganbaranger is the name of the Sentai team whose figure figures into the story. Noted. I don't expect it to get as much of a role as Granbelion, but it's something that I would notice.

There was a lot of drama this week, so I was wondering if there wouldn't be much for me to say. From my perspective, drama speaks for itself most of the time, so there's only so much I can add to it. The start of the episode, however, had enough lighthearted elements to offset the rather heavy second half.

The whole musical song-and-dance routine that Konatsu, Wien and Sawa prepared for the badminton match was great to watch, on par with their Hawaiian luau from last week. (And Wien did a toku hero-esque pose in the eyecatch. I think it's clear where his ideas on Japanese culture came from.) Perhaps, Wakana will play those maracas some day.

My take on the whole Wakana thing is that it's clear she's grateful deep down, but she's simply so driven for success she never really got a chance to loosen up (though clearly, she did when she was younger.) I think Mahiru's problems with her daughter and her problems with Takakura are the same, if the picture is anything to go by.

Maybe after next week, Wakana will get one step closer to maracasing.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 20:50   Link #703
Aesthetic Shampoo

It has been so long since any kind of drama didn't make me pause the video so i could calm down a bit first. Good going, Tari Tari.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 21:23   Link #704
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Well, after watching the subbed version, it looks like I was correct on both accounts. Sakai is a spoiled, rude, self-centered, mean-spirited brat, and the anime is turning into the Sakai Soap Opera.

I've nothing against a good bit of drama, but this "drama" just doesn't do anything for me. I don't feel sorry for Sakai; she hasn't earned my sympathy. In short, she had a piss-poor attitude, her mother died, she gets rid of her two most important momentoes of her mother (her piano and the "dolphin"), and now she's feeling sorry for herself. So what? Let this be a life lesson to her: you treat people like crap, and you end up feeling like crap yourself.

I am much more interested in finding out more about the person Wien was talking to in the opening sequence, presumably this Ying that he writes to. In fact, I would rather have watched badminton boy bounce a shuttle cock off the gymnasium wall for twenty-four minutes. Watching Sawa-mom ride the waves for a whole episode would've been more interesting. Watching Sawa do anything for a whole episode would've been better, or listening to Konatsu sing.

Speaking of singing, I sure do hope the choir club gets back into the limelight.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 22:26   Link #705
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Well, after watching the subbed version, it looks like I was correct on both accounts. Sakai is a spoiled, rude, self-centered, mean-spirited brat, and the anime is turning into the Sakai Soap Opera.

I've nothing against a good bit of drama, but this "drama" just doesn't do anything for me. I don't feel sorry for Sakai; she hasn't earned my sympathy. In short, she had a piss-poor attitude, her mother died, she gets rid of her two most important momentoes of her mother (her piano and the "dolphin"), and now she's feeling sorry for herself. So what? Let this be a life lesson to her: you treat people like crap, and you end up feeling like crap yourself.
Guess I can understand that one can feel that way but don't think I could really blame her for being spoiled, since it seems her mother did spoil her.
While Wakana is a spoiled brat, it was only towards her mother, the person that spoiled her.
But one important fact is Wakana loved her mother alot, despite how she acted towards her.
She reminds me of my wee sister, spoiled by my parents and only acts like a spoiled brat to them.

And well, it's always hard blaming a kid on how they act after experiencing something like losing a loved one.
Emotional problems are tricky stuff to fix, especially for kids.

Anyway I rather enjoy ep 5 alot.
The badmin cheer stuff was great, it nows creates the problem of who I like more now, Sawa-sama or Kona-chan!?
And even more fuel for the Sawa X Taichi ship to power on with!
However was it hinted that Taichi maybe abit of a siscon?
That can work for me as well

As for the drama, felt that was handled pretty well. They didn't need to go over baord with it and they didn't, at least not yet anyway.
Old 2012-07-29, 22:43   Link #706
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I just finished episode 5, an amazing and really deep episode since we've now seen a bit of Wakana's back story of her mother and the sole reason why she gave up music.

Before I get to that, it sucks that Taichi didn't make the position to make it to the finals. Konatsu and Sawa's dance and cheer was amusing to watch, and it looks like Wien is starting to feel more active with the other members of the group it seems. So Konatsu and Sawa showing an interests into why Tachi loves badminton so much, and the latter checking on him to see if he's alright. Love triangle route incoming...who knows?

During the rest of the episode, Wakana seemed to be somewhat forcing herself to remove the things that trigger the memories of her late mother and the guilt that came out of it due to her bratty behavior. Her getting rid of the piano and that cute little whale, blowfish, or goldfish whatever was proof of this. Considering the attitude she showed to her mother when she was just trying to genuinely help, she felt compelled to make herself feel guilty because she never had the chance to apologize for the way she treated her after the news of her late mother came known during the exam. She's suffering through a lot of guilt, and has a hard time forgiving herself and moving forward because of the way she handled the situations with her mother.
Old 2012-07-29, 23:13   Link #707
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
So Konatsu and Sawa showing an interests into why Tachi loves badminton so much, and the latter checking on him to see if he's alright. Love triangle route incoming...who knows?
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

I do think Sawa might like him, but I think so because she's actively trying to get close to him. Konatsu asking about him is just her being curious about a friend IMO. Being concerned about her friends is Kanatsu's main character trait after all.
Old 2012-07-29, 23:13   Link #708
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post

I am much more interested in finding out more about the person Wien was talking to in the opening sequence, presumably this Ying that he writes to. In fact, I would rather have watched badminton boy bounce a shuttle cock off the gymnasium wall for twenty-four minutes. Watching Sawa-mom ride the waves for a whole episode would've been more interesting. Watching Sawa do anything for a whole episode would've been better, or listening to Konatsu sing.

Speaking of singing, I sure do hope the choir club gets back into the limelight.
Wakana volunteered to make dinner when she saw how busy her dad was, so she can't be that bad. She was certainly a brat when she was younger, but her mother's death seems to have changed her quite a bit.

Wein does need some focus though. One of the things I liked about this show was that the main cast was actually relatively gender balanced, but it seems like the girls have been getting a lot more focus than the guys.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 23:22   Link #709
deadite

Anyone notice the songbook teen Vice Principal was holding in the picture?
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 00:32   Link #710
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

its not ill temperament. its her own drive to be better, so she places priorities where her parents aren't putting them. namely academics over music. she thinks exams are more important than what she did when she was a kid, but she realized by the end of the ep that it wouldn't have hurt to still keep in touch with what she did as a child, instead of shut if out completely like she did.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 00:35   Link #711
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Tari Tari Episode 5 was indeed an excellent episode with a lot of good drama in it. It does raise some mild concerns for me, but nothing that serious (at least not yet).

Wakana's backstory is interesting, and was very well-presented here. Like Fred, I did find her to be a bit of a harsh brat at times. But like Kaoru Chujo, I also get the impression that Wakana's parents aren't quite with it, and that this somewhat legitimately contributed to Wakana being the way she was. My impression of Wakana's parents is that they're good, decent, loving parents, but they're not good at keeping on top of things, which might have frustrated Wakana a lot.

There was a lot of "Oomph!" and integrity to how Wakana's section in this episode was presented.

Other positives:

1. Wien is starting to "fit in" at least. He feels like part of the team now. He still doesn't have "an issue" of his own, but the rest of the club seems to genuinely like him at least, and they do interact with him some.

2. Sawa's subtle crush on Taichi was very cute. I really liked their scenes together. Taichi might have missed Top 4 in Badminton, but he's really lucked out in gaining Sawa's attention, lol.

3. Wien's brief scene with Wakana was also nice, and I'm hoping that Wien later plays a role in snapping Wakana out of this funk she's in.

4. Konatsu makes for a good club leader. She has good zest and enthusiasm.

Things that concern me:

1. In spite of what I wrote on Wakana, I'm not sue if she's a good female lead for this (which definitely now seems to be her role). If she does remain the female lead, I hope she won't spend the entirety of the anime getting over her mother issues. It's great for now, but it could get tiresome.

2. As others have said, it would be nice to see the two guys get more to do, and have more to say.

On the whole, Tari Tari continues to be an excellent show! Definitely the most consistently good of this season's slice of life shows, imo.
Old 2012-07-30, 01:07   Link #712
Shenlong

I wouldn't even call her a brat, she is one of those super-driven types who wants to work hard and get into a good school while her hippy mother keeps on distracting her with that whole singing silliness. I am really sympathetic cus I am kinda the same way, I called my mom after watching this episode for the first time in a while..
Shenlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 02:16   Link #713
Excorsism

Wein still a mysterious figure, his interaction with Konatsu was top notch too.
Old 2012-07-30, 03:12   Link #714
Blaat

Wakana's dead mother is voiced by Jintan's dead mother, coincidence? I know Okada isn't involved in this show but still...

Anyway I'm guessing prince of Badmi is a siscon. Well not in that way, he just genuinely likes his sister considering she's the reason he started with badminton and join this school.

Also did anyone else see the guy on the background checking out Sawa during the badminton tournament, even telling his buddy next to him about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
1. In spite of what I wrote on Wakana, I'm not sue if she's a good female lead for this (which definitely now seems to be her role). If she does remain the female lead, I hope she won't spend the entirety of the anime getting over her mother issues. It's great for now, but it could get tiresome.
Agreed I enjoyed the drama but I'm really dreading that the next seven episodes will be focused on her and her dead mother issues.
Old 2012-07-30, 04:09   Link #715
novalysis

When I first watched Tari Tari, I hoped that it would be a Slice of Life at least in the vein of Natsuro Kiseki - competently executed, watchable characters. It's definitely surpassed the mark of merely "adequate" slice of life.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 05:29   Link #716
Kakkou
Tch.

What sort of training is that supposed to be anyway?
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 05:44   Link #717
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post

What sort of training is that supposed to be anyway?
Its a "Weird" training I say...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 05:49   Link #718
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

^ Both of those are legitimate exercises. It's just something you do separately, I think.

Anyway, this was certainly an excellent episode. I never once felt Wakana was being bratty so I fully sympathised with her. I disagree that she's turned into the female lead though and I still think that role belongs to Konatsu.

It was nice to see more development between Sawa and Taichi. And watching Konatsu and Wien clown around was definitely what I was waiting for.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 06:04   Link #719
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I disagree that she's turned into the female lead though and I still think that role belongs to Konatsu.
But Wakana is billed first in the ED credits. She must be the lead despite Konatsu having the typical personality female protagonists from this sort of series usually have.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-07-30 at 06:36.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-30, 06:16   Link #720
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Wakana getting rid of the piano reminded me back when I got rid of mine. It took me months to find a buyer for my piano, though.

A nice episode all around.

Tags
drama, music, original anime, pa works