AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-01-31, 22:27   Link #121
Ebichuman
Ebichu Transform!

Ugh, I don't like watching shows in the dark. It's too hard on my eyes. I prefer watching anime in a bright room, in a big comfy chair and on a TV screen (the larger the better) as opposed to a computer screen. Although it does depend on the anime somewhat. Example - Boogiepop Phantom is best viewed in a small, dark room with surround sound speakers.
Old 2006-01-31, 22:30   Link #122
EternityOfPain
Boss of AnimeLessons

Send a message via AIM to EternityOfPain
Head set, because my 7 dollar speakers suck ass. As for lights, I normally watch during the day so if its bright enough outside then no need for lights. But i usually turn them on anyways. Doesn't bug me a bit.
EternityOfPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 22:39   Link #123
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

BTW, people should know that there is very little medical evidence that suggests watching TV in the dark (or low light) is bad for your eyes.

- http://www.parkhurstexchange.com/qa/.../1999-08-02.qa
- http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/ophtha...ythsfacts.html
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 22:51   Link #124
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I usually watch anime in a well lit room, sitting a good distance from the monitor. Of course that "good distance" is about a foot and a half, as anything further than that I need my glasses to see. *nearsighted*

I use speakers, as I don't like using headphones when it's not necessary. Normally I sit in my computer chair, but on occasion I'll turn the monitor and watch from bed, though it means I have to wear my glasses.
Old 2006-01-31, 23:32   Link #125
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

I watch it in the dark mainly because my computer room has no lights in it but black lights and some really bright lights for when i do computer work. So, I just turn on only the black lights and chill (no windows in that room).

Headphones on because my computer speakers are crap, but my headphones are very good. Also, other people live in my house and they prefer not to hear it.

Listening to Elfen Lied in loudly without headphones would sound odd to everyone else .
Orchunter226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 23:38   Link #126
Morisato

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
Just wondering if anyone's like me or how the watch their anime...Generally I watch all my anime with headphones on...For as long as I remember I've always lived or been in places where watching anime extremely loud on speakers wasn't something I could do freely...Whether it was in college because I had roomates or in my apartment (or family home) where really loud music could be a prob with neighbors I pretty much strap on the SONY or MAXWELL air-tight earphones and rock-it...I'd love to listen to it on surround sound super-loud (which I have done on occassion especially when I have company over), but really can't like I want to so being able to blast my ear-drums off with headphones is what I do the most(Remember connecting straight to the cpu sucks...even powered speakers can be too low at times...I use a reciever and amp most times with powered headphones to boot)...

As for watching anime I'd say I watch 80% of everything in the dark (Besides being simply better to me...It makes the colors more vibrant...I doubt that I'm the only one who enjoys this thus dispelling the freakyness of watching so much in the dark) Now I watch anime on TV in the daytime at random, but all the new series I watch each week I usually watch them at night before I goto bed...(Don't think I've ever watched a Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Gundam new episode not this way)...When I'm by my friend's house I find it irritating when watching anime programs with a
2000 watt light-bulb scorching my retinas...Often times I just act like an a$$ and turn them off anyways without permission...I'm really a complulsive when it comes to this...sometimes I'm even shocked by how much...

So basically tell me how you like to watch your anime and the little nuances that makes your way the most enjoyable...Headphones or not, Light or Dark?
Wow man, do you wear glasses?

Anyways, speakers and light.
Morisato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 23:43   Link #127
MarcusG
Remember Law of Ueki

Since I am known to blast the crap outta my speakers I always wear headphones,
when lights are on. In my chair. Things that I will never do again- Watch the whole season of anime I never seen before in one day. Like for example I watched 60 episodes of Naruto and I think that Iam Ninja, then have nightmares.
MarcusG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 23:58   Link #128
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Wow man, do you wear glasses?

Anyways, speakers and light
Nope I have perfect 20/20...I have no idea about that myth of watching stuff in the dark causing bad eye-sight...My eyes feel much worse when I'm exposed to really bright light (Why do people buy the super-bright lightbulbs? 40watt and sometimes 75 does the job)...Watching anime in the dark simply has a better feel (That movie theatre feel) to me and accentuates the color...The anime and it's colors are on display rather than a well-lit room where it isn't as vibrant...

I don't get the stuff about a glare on the screen while in the dark (Never experienced that)...Usually it's a glare when you have the bright-light on (You see the reflection of your light-device in the screen)...I do however agree with the black-light technique...I had one in college and it made watching anime even better...I have a 19-inch flat-screen monitor and have never had much probs visually (I generally sit within 3-5 feet of the monitor, I'm the type who moves my CPU around pretty much too, so sometimes I'll be in the bed watching, other times in a chair, other times on the sofa because I have an extra-long monitor cord)...I guess the big monitors have that glare or whatever...

Alot of you seem to like the light, that's OK just not my style....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus G
Like for example I watched 60 episodes of Naruto and I think that Iam Ninja, then have nightmares.
rotflcopters xD... Nightmares...You think your a genin huh?
Old 2006-02-01, 00:25   Link #129
Roughy
-?-

Got a lamp pointed up into the roof, gives the whole room a darkish soft light, and headphones <3
Roughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 00:29   Link #130
sorvani

there isn't a light bulb in my house brighter than 40 watts.

since i own my own place and live alone. it's light on, speakers, couch or very comfy office chair. i have to have a single low level light on whether it is 27" TV or 22" PC, or my eyes get sore after an hour or so.
sorvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 01:32   Link #131
Chronissz

On my PSP before I go to bed (in bed), w/ headphones of course that PSP speaker is crap and everyone else is sleeping.

Only problem is when they use non standard formats, pain to convert to avi then convert again in psp9, but definitly worth it in the end.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls
BTW, people should know that there is very little medical evidence that suggests watching TV in the dark (or low light) is bad for your eyes.
Even if it did, I would think laser eye surgery could fix any problems. I have poor eyesight to begin with so I couldnt care less, if it makes it worse its just more excuse to go get them fixed.

Last edited by Chronissz; 2006-02-01 at 01:43.
Chronissz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 01:43   Link #132
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
Nope I have perfect 20/20...I have no idea about that myth of watching stuff in the dark causing bad eye-sight...My eyes feel much worse when I'm exposed to really bright light (Why do people buy the super-bright lightbulbs? 40watt and sometimes 75 does the job)...Watching anime in the dark simply has a better feel (That movie theatre feel) to me and accentuates the color...The anime and it's colors are on display rather than a well-lit room where it isn't as vibrant...
Wow, its about the same thing for me.

For like, the past few years that I stayed up all night playing on the computer at night(yes, Im a bad bad boy. ), yet right now Im the only person in the family to NOT have the need to wear glasses...

Though, I dont watch anime in the dark specifically, and I dont watch at night due to the lack of a headphone + my super-naggy parents.

And I too have no idea why watching anime in the dark is bad unless the brightness is completely out-of-control bright...
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 01:56   Link #133
Aristophanes
I have returned

Send a message via MSN to Aristophanes
5.1 and pitch black.
Aristophanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 02:24   Link #134
Mina-sama
Vita-chan moe~

I watch it with 2.1 Stereo at home, preferably in the dark, if there's no daylight. Sometimes, after 2 AM or so I sometimes get complaints from my parents to turn the noise down, since I like it loud and with Full Bass/Full Treble settings on my Winamp equalizer and some additional external equalizer settings.

If I'm out, I use my cellphone to watch anime and I use Sony's Earbuds. They cancel a lot of noise. The downside of those is that you can't hear cars if you're walking down a street or your friends.
Mina-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 02:41   Link #135
Calca
Expressionless

Depends on the anime. Usually for some reason, I make the environment match the anime.

A bright cheery anime like Azumanga or Magikano I watch with the lights on.

More serious plot driven anime like FMA, I watch with the lights off.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 04:26   Link #136
Rushuna
Supaa Handsome Boi

I always wear headphones, and how lit the room is depends on what time of the day it is.
Rushuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 05:34   Link #137
Incoan
Jinuar Mumbir

Send a message via ICQ to Incoan Send a message via MSN to Incoan
Lights on , since I sometimes do my homework AND watch anime at the same time , so I need some light to be able to read textbooks...
And I don't wear headphones , I just don't have them.
Incoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 06:04   Link #138
Animoid
So what?

Send a message via ICQ to Animoid
I watching anime always in headphones, because my speakers are bad
Sometimes I turn my light off, but it usually on.
Animoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 06:26   Link #139
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

I usually watch anime in the afternoon with the shades open. No headphones required because at that time I'm alone at home. (Not to mention that the distance between my ears and the TV set is almost 2,5 meters (9 feet) away , so my "head-band type" headphone wire just blocks the way in my living room. But the audio quality is good. I once managed to watch a F1 GP at 6:00am with it.)

I watch in my living room lying on the couch through my family's 36" TV set and DVD/Divx player. But I can't stand too much contrast. When it's winter in the northern hemisphere (like now) the sun sets at 18:00pm, so by that time I have to light a small lamp to ease my eyes.

Sometimes I also watch at night, but it's very rare because all the family is back home, it's troublesome. In such occasions I watch majorly single movies.
Old 2006-02-01, 10:06   Link #140
DaFool
Resident devil

When my brother used to be around, usually in the dark with headphones hooked up to computer speakers. Those speakers have since broke, and my bro has since moved all over the place, so recently I hooked the surround system to the PC and just blast away to my heart's content. I don't care about the neighbors...I am their landlord...and those chickens of theirs which wake me up in the morning with their rooster calls...they gotta go soon.

I now keep the lights on because during the rainy season the bugs are attracted to the nearest light source...and if I turn off the light they will all start crawling on the monitor...so annoying.

I don't use the TV / stand-alone DVD / VHS anymore, and don't subscribe to cable. Anime on PC or DVD-ROM is all I watch nowadays.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote