AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2008-04-20, 19:12   Link #1
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Character Discussion - Rolo

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Rolo related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Code Geass fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specific episode talk, there are already threads serving that purpose.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favorite.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won't be tolerated.
  • Discuss, not Chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (#animeuki) on ZiRC.
  • Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.
  • Use spoiler tags!Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-04-22 at 08:54.
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 19:13   Link #2
Kingdom geass

I dont understand what really rollo is. DOes he know hes not his brother. and y is he so protective of the locket?
Kingdom geass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 19:28   Link #3
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Regarding Rollo and his Geass power:

I believe that we should categorize it as a mind stop ability. His power does not stop time within this radius, which can be shown by the water that continues to flow in the scene in episode 3.

If I was to compare it to any weapon, I'd call it an EMP for the mind.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 19:31   Link #4
coba

I am guessing that Rollo is probably an orphan (just like Mao) or a clone who nobody cares. I believe he really yearns family. That's why he really protect that locket since it is probably the first time someone gave him a birthday present. That will ikely become the reason why he will help Lelouch in the end considering that Lulu (in the past one tear) is probably the first person who "cares" for him.
coba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 19:38   Link #5
Meatrose
Antihero

Yup, an "EMP for the mind" would probably be a rather accurate description. The scene where he disappears in front of Kallen and Urabe doesn't seem to add up though. I almost think that they made a mistake in that scene. Time is obviously not frozen when Rolo does his thing. We, the viewers, were also "affected" by his Geass in Turn 2 when it looked as if he teleported himself and his Vincent in order to get past his attackers and end up standing in front of Lelouch. Both Kallen and Urabe should have "teleported" as well since they were moving at high speed when it happened.
Old 2008-04-20, 19:44   Link #6
Rena Ryuuguu
Hinamizawas Cleaver Girl

Send a message via MSN to Rena Ryuuguu
*jumps up and down*
Rollos character thread is open
he is my fav. character besides Lelouch and C.C
Old 2008-04-20, 19:46   Link #7
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatrose View Post
Yup, an "EMP for the mind" would probably be a rather accurate description. The scene where he disappears in front of Kallen and Urabe doesn't seem to add up though. I almost think that they made a mistake in that scene. Time is obviously not frozen when Rolo does his thing. We, the viewers, were also "affected" by his Geass in Turn 2 when it looked as if he teleported himself and his Vincent in order to get past his attackers and end up standing in front of Lelouch. Both Kallen and Urabe should have "teleported" as well since they were moving at high speed when it happened.
Well they wouldn't have to be teleported or anything at all, since they're inside their Knightmares. Those things would still be moving, even if their pilots are mentally not there for a few seconds.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 19:48   Link #8
Meatrose
Antihero

Yeah, that was my point. Their KMFs would've kept moving during the time we were Geassed and it would've seemed as if they also teleported.
Old 2008-04-20, 19:48   Link #9
ashlay
the red string of fate

So Rollo's severely messed up in the head and has abandonment issues and an inferiority complex towards Nunnally and doesn't care at all about human life in general.

And the workings of his geass are confusing because of protrayals in episodes 27 and 28.

I don't think this is a particularly interesting discussion until we get into what those shots of Rollo at ages 6 and 10 were all about though. Without motivation, this is in many ways all mere speculation. :\
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 19:52   Link #10
Rena Ryuuguu
Hinamizawas Cleaver Girl

spoiler for Image Rollo as child
Spoiler for image:
Old 2008-04-20, 20:02   Link #11
Z3120

Hypothetically, if the Geass is restricted to abilities only able to manipulate the mind, then it's likely the knightmares weren't stopped at all. Because if Rollo did deflect both of Urabe's and Kallen's attack, which I doubt he did and simply charged forward, then I suspect their mobile suits wouldn't have continued with their current momentum. Since their momentum didn't stop, I would think Rollo simply charged forward given the gap made by Urabe and Kallen.

But the real question is what's the limit to Rollo's Geass? So far we know it has an "EMP" effect range, which to me looks like the size of a regular track and field course.

The sentimental value Rollo has with the locket is something I can't really put a finger on. I'll probably post my thoughts of it when I think of more later.
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 20:03   Link #12
CharlesDiBritannia
IRABUYUU

That is SOOOOO CUUUUUTE!
CharlesDiBritannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 20:09   Link #13
katel

his piloting skills are superior to suzakus.
he has geass.
first v.v. next rollo. then what? superman?
this is getting annoying.
katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 20:25   Link #14
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Good Black Ops antagonist/undercover agent with a very potent super-power.

That's really all I can say about Rollo so far, after watching 3 episodes of Season 3.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 20:34   Link #15
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by coba View Post
I believe he really yearns family. That's why he really protect that locket since it is probably the first time someone gave him a birthday present. That will ikely become the reason why he will help Lelouch in the end considering that Lulu (in the past one tear) is probably the first person who "cares" for him.
Since he seems to react when the words "Family" and "Birthday" are pronounced, I agree with you

I like that part of him.

But beside that, I dislike the fact that he doesn't mind killing people :/
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 20:38   Link #16
Peachys

Oh, i posted in Episode 3 thread, should have figured a Rollo's Geass speculation thread would be best in this one.

Neways original post is what follows - spoiler to make it easier to navigate.
Spoiler for Not a Spoiler, Just Huge Text for Speculation for Rollo's Geass:

Im actually surprised people here already considered the mind stop over time freeze. and the whole audience is geassed

Hmm good point on the fact that we should see teleportation of the Guren / Gekka rush if we were to be totaly "geassed", dont think I can come up with an explanation for that one either >_>

Newho - Speculation on limitations:

For now ill place my bets on a Usage limitation with a cooldown factor

like he can either use it for very short intervals several times (instances in EP 2, to "teleport" and confuse) + limitation on # of uses seen as he didnt just get out of the way immediately when urabe blocked his attack

or use it once with a long interval (to hold the informant in place to get the kill, short intervals wouldnt work in this case, needed the guy standing still)

Anywas, speculation is fun :3
Peachys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 20:50   Link #17
hamstar
just passing by

mind EMP is definately possible but lulu said "he stopped time" which is probably how the CG staff is trying to explain it to us.

Does anyone else think rollo is gay? He acts like lulu is more than someone he's just spying on... i think he has feelings for him.
Old 2008-04-20, 20:56   Link #18
Rena Ryuuguu
Hinamizawas Cleaver Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstar View Post
mind EMP is definately possible but lulu said "he stopped time" which is probably how the CG staff is trying to explain it to us.

Does anyone else think rollo is gay? He acts like lulu is more than someone he's just spying on... i think he has feelings for him.
Sure that's why he ( seemed apparently) try to kill Lelouch
Old 2008-04-20, 20:58   Link #19
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

I don't think Lelouch's explanation is supposed to mean anything. I mean, to him it must have seem like time stopped with the gun missing and Rollo right behind him.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 21:00   Link #20
Rena Ryuuguu
Hinamizawas Cleaver Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
I don't think Lelouch's explanation is supposed to mean anything. I mean, to him it must have seem like time stopped with the gun missing and Rollo right behind him.
I agree with you