AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

Old 2007-09-21, 09:44   Link #121
darktruth

Ordered the limited edition of the movie DVD from CDJapan a few days ago and it was shipped today (yay!). Cost me over $120AU but it's worth it for me. I thought I had almost missed out on getting the first press edition that comes with a bonus poster as they put my items on hold when they needed my approval on an updated shipping charge and all the first press editions were sold out when they notified me. Luckily I emailed them and got a reply saying my item is the first press edition so I'm happy.

I've yet to get the movie soundtrack for it though, so I'll probably order it sometime later but I'm disappointed that the piano rendition of "Hishoku no Sora" isn't on it and it'll probably never see the light of day now. Can't wait to see the new shana-tan on the bonus disc lol.
darktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-21, 12:59   Link #122
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
The movie was nothing special more so I was annoyed by the fact that they completely ignored the
Spoiler for scene:

Overal, its really nothing great but a few cut short Shana scenes and a few additional Yoshida scenes... Also the last battle was done differently and I liked it better. The best thing about this movie is that I didnt wasted my money on buying it.

TV series are better than it (with an exception of the last battle). Even the animation isnt all that better than TV series.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-21, 14:42   Link #123
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

With the caveat that I just quickly browsed through it, stopping on the interesting parts... I really liked the changes they made to a few scenes (especially the Yukari ones), as well as completely torching all the Ramies stuff and assorted long/boring exposition. Pretty much the entire final episodes between Margary, Shana and Friagne were totally reworked too. Most of the first half looked 100% ripped from the series though, completely down to the halfassed 'fight' scene between Marianne and Shana.

Super omega 260 cap barrage.
http://blog.seiha.org/?p=344
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-21, 17:12   Link #124
Devard

While the first bit of the director's cut was largely the same, I did notice a couple of subtle differences slipped in here and there.

Spoiler:

I'm rather curious about how many scenes were rehashed for the theatrical cut. If I recall correctly, I think someone noted that the theatrical version started off after the first fight and such.
Devard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-21, 22:56   Link #125
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
I've gotten an impression that they tried to make Yuji more distant to Shana and closer to Yukari than in TV. Basically because Shana scenes were cut and Yukari scenes were changed to give her more focus than in TV animation. And Being a Shana fan, I didn't like it all that much.

The last battle scene was good though.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-22, 00:54   Link #126
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
I've gotten an impression that they tried to make Yuji more distant to Shana and closer to Yukari than in TV. Basically because Shana scenes were cut and Yukari scenes were changed to give her more focus than in TV animation. And Being a Shana fan, I didn't like it all that much.
I've always felt sorry for poor Yukari (anime). The photo scene made me . Again...

But the Shana-tan bonus was great. Absolutely.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-22, 01:32   Link #127
cyth
Banned

Can anyone make a comparison to the original material and point out whether the TV series or the movie was more faithful story-wise? My copy of the movie is still shipping. ;p
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-22, 17:29   Link #128
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
Can anyone make a comparison to the original material and point out whether the TV series or the movie was more faithful story-wise? My copy of the movie is still shipping. ;p
Spoiler:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 16:39   Link #129
X10A_Freedom

Just watched it. The battles indeed are far better than the anime and Yuji actually of good use! The sequence of events seem to make better sense as well.

Spoiler:

I was hoping for better animation but it's about the same standard as the anime. Since it's a movie afterall, I was hoping for more colours to take the standard closer to Ghibli. The CGI is much improved over the anime series nonetheless which was good to see.
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 22:17   Link #130
Wavedash
Mayo on everything

A lot of people are saying it's pretty close to the TV series. I offer my own opinion that it is drastically different in terms of quality.

I rewatched the TV series shortly before watching the movie, so I had it fresh in my mind. The movie's first half is more or less taken straight from the TV with cuts and small additions here and there, most notably the new Yoshida scenes and redrawn Shana in almost every cut. If you don't see it, compare the eyes.

Once they left the TV realm, the animation quality actually took a rather impressive boost in terms of detail. Perhaps the framerate was not too much better, but there were certainly more flames, more embers, and in general more background details. If the color palette was lacking, it was because this is Shana, not a Miyazaki film. It's meant to be both dark and flamelit.
Wavedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-25, 23:41   Link #131
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post

The last battle scene was good though.
Well that sucks since I found Yukari very annoying in the TV series I was hoping she have less screentime in the movie.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 00:39   Link #132
neutralizer
Hinagiku-ist

Send a message via AIM to neutralizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Well that sucks since I found Yukari very annoying in the TV series I was hoping she have less screentime in the movie.
I hope you mean Yoshida. Yukari is the name that Shana took to blend in with the school.
neutralizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 00:50   Link #133
Vivioha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
wait, you mean Hirai Yukari?
Spoiler for Yukari:
Vivioha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 02:27   Link #134
darktruth

My copy of the limited edition DVD was delivered today! Yay! I watched about half of the theatrical cut before dozing off since I haven't had much sleep since yesterday morning. Gonna rewatch it sometime later but the parts that I saw, I noticed they added some new bits and pieces in the fight scenes (most particularly the one between Shana and Marianne). Couldn't help but feel like the movie was rushed through but I guess it's because I've seen the TV series already that made me feel like that.

I gotta say the packaging of the DVD is great and it's heavy too with the extras that comes with it like a whole booklet of character sketches and designs and a separate booklet of promotional art drawings. They also included a 4 frame film reel of a random scene in the actual movie as well. The first press poster is also kind of big as well and it's the same picture that's used as the front cardboard slipcase for the DVD inside.

I just checked out the bonus disc of materials and it contains a 30 minute making of/behind the scenes of the movie, the premiere of it and the anime convention held at Akihabara that featured Shakugan no Shana as well as theatrical trailers, promo spots and interviews. There's also a new 6 minute shana-tan of the movie. I guess the producers and writers are running out of jokes for the first season as many of them weren't really outrageously hilarious, just a few of them made me laugh but the rest I was just staring blankly at it. There wasn't any sexual jokes in this one although the closest came to Yuji and panties. I took a few screencaps of the shana-tan omake below.

Spoiler:

Oh yeah, I also received this Shana DJCD where it's claimed that you can only get this with the DVD if you pre-ordered the movie. It contains the Japanese VA's of Shakugan no Shana on a special radio program for the movie I think and it runs for 30 minutes.

There's also one where you can also get a special 3D card from pre-ordering it but I didn't get it with my order. I think obtaining the 3D card depends on where you pre-ordered the DVD. I ordered mine from CDJapan and they had a poster as their special first press item.

Last edited by darktruth; 2007-09-26 at 02:37.
Old 2007-09-26, 05:21   Link #135
z3phyr.mp3
:love: Tsukasa :love:
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to z3phyr.mp3
finally finished writing my thoughts about the movie...

for me it was better than the anime... and shana's character was less annoying...
z3phyr.mp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-26, 06:13   Link #136
Devard

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktruth View Post
There's also one where you can also get a special 3D card from pre-ordering it but I didn't get it with my order. I think obtaining the 3D card depends on where you pre-ordered the DVD. I ordered mine from CDJapan and they had a poster as their special first press item.
Where was this mentioned?
Old 2007-09-26, 11:20   Link #137
darktruth

I originally found out about the card from doing a search on Yahoo Japan Auctions and the DJCD and the card were being put up. The seller stated both were special extras that came with the DVD if you pre-ordered the movie. That's also claimed in this blog as well (scroll down to the fifth picture to see the card). I don't know where you would get the card though or which place has that but both places I found it from have claimed they're special pre-ordered DVD extras.
Old 2007-09-26, 11:58   Link #138
Devard

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktruth View Post
I originally found out about the card from doing a search on Yahoo Japan Auctions and the DJCD and the card were being put up. The seller stated both were special extras that came with the DVD if you pre-ordered the movie. That's also claimed in this blog as well (scroll down to the fifth picture to see the card). I don't know where you would get the card though or which place has that but both places I found it from have claimed they're special pre-ordered DVD extras.
Very interesting, thanks for the details and the link.
Old 2007-09-27, 07:25   Link #139
Kristen
*Author

Is anyone subbing this movie? I can't find anyone who is...
Old 2007-09-27, 08:08   Link #140
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralizer View Post
I hope you mean Yoshida. Yukari is the name that Shana took to blend in with the school.
Doh! Meant to say Yoshida yeah.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, bishoujo, drama, fantasy, j.c. staff, movie, romance, shounen, tsundere