AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2004-08-21, 22:32   Link #41
Secca
nya`
*Artist

When Diana Counter arived, everything happen so fast.
Spoiler:
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-21, 22:38   Link #42
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
When Diana Counter arived, everything happen so fast.
Spoiler:
I'm with ya.
Spoiler:
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-21, 22:46   Link #43
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I like Harry tho, the guys with mask in Gundam series always cool. ^^

And Harry has a bug mask like Kamen Rider. ^^

Edit: just watched episode 5.
Spoiler for ep 5:

Last edited by Secca; 2004-08-23 at 05:29.
Old 2004-08-23, 16:25   Link #44
Vaitalien
State Alchemist

Send a message via AIM to Vaitalien Send a message via MSN to Vaitalien
Hi, I'm a fan of some of the Gundam series but I haven't seen very much. I just came on AnimeSuki and saw Turn A Gundam and was like "What! No way...how? that's years old"

So, there's my question, isn't it licensed? Doesn't AnimeSuki only support unlicensed anime?
Vaitalien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 17:28   Link #45
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Nope, it's unlicensed--as are plenty of older shows.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-24, 01:07   Link #46
Trickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
The "TURN-A GUNDAM" voice-over at the start of the music reminds me of the "RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE" guy from old-school Altered Beast... lol
Thats the first time I've heard a west midlands accent before in Anime!
Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-25, 12:31   Link #47
jethrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouji Kabuto
On a personal note, it's just the head of the Turn A and the core fighter that I don't like. Otherwise, I actually like the rounded designs.
I am so happy to be able to get this on digisubs finally. HK DVDs don't do this series justice.

As for the mecha designs, to be fair, while the Turn A looks ugly, the same guy did WaDom and Turn X Gundam, easily two of the coolest mecha ever concieved. The SUMOs aren't bad either. Mind you, Syd Mead has actually done some Gundam designs int he past (traditional looking Gundams at that), and is easily the best scifi artists in history (with blade runner under his belt!). Don't get to mad over one awkward design.

Most of the other mecha thant he ones I mentioned though are actually done by a variety of designers, including Kunio Ookawara. In fact, one very cool thing is if you watch closely int his series, you will see a lot of "easter egg" designs from past Gundams, including a castle that was once a UC spaceship. (much later int he show). Zakus and Kapools also show up prominently in this.

Personally, this is by far my favorite Gundam series, and I encourage people not to be put off by its odd stylistic approach.
jethrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-25, 23:11   Link #48
Sledeau

The first time I saw this anime, it was filled with a bunch of Japanese to Chinese to English subs. I'm definitely going to have to check how these are.
Sledeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-25, 23:56   Link #49
jethrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imazul
As a hard core Gundam fan , its my duty to hate Turn a Gundam.
What did they do to my Gundam!!!!!!!!!! The mech design is almost repulsive if you saw any other series.
This is a perfect example of how the single most creative Gundam show gets ignored, while rehashed, unimaginative shows like SEED canb e successes. Turn A is bad because you don't like the Turn A's design look? It's true, the Turn A doesn't make good action figures, but it works well in the show, and the show has a great plot. Isn't that what matters?
Old 2004-08-26, 11:40   Link #50
AzrielBlack
Guardian Of Deamons

Send a message via AIM to AzrielBlack Send a message via MSN to AzrielBlack
A brilliant Anime. I really like this keep the good work up!
AzrielBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-26, 12:04   Link #51
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

by far the best AU Gundam series imo (or is it considered part of the UC? it's confusing, anyway it's one of the best overall Gundam series), and I love the unorthodoxical mech design, especially Turn X
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-26, 12:28   Link #52
trebus

What did they do to my Gundam!!!!!!!!!! The mech design is almost repulsive if you saw any other series.

Well I dont think you are a hard core gundam fan as i think you only like cool
mecha action.Turn A is actually Tomino's(creator of gundam) greatest work after he came out of his depression and you know, he is actually disgusted at how seed and wing went.The true meaning of gundam is not the mecha but the story of how wars affect people.Turn A fits the category and more with one of the best stories i have seen.Actually I personally think Turn A gundam is one of the best looking gundams yet.

Ps.If you guys are impressed with the battles now the future battles are more interesting as Rolan comes up with inventive ways to use Turn A.
trebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-26, 17:55   Link #53
FlyByNite

This supposed "as a Gundam fan I hate Turn-a" thing reminds me of how many Star Trek fans never gave Deep Space Nine a chance because it was different (Set on a space station not a ship, more arc-based story) and how IMO out of all the Star Trek's DS9 is the best and it's still considered the black sheep of the family by a lot of trek people.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-27, 01:26   Link #54
jethrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
This supposed "as a Gundam fan I hate Turn-a" thing reminds me of how many Star Trek fans never gave Deep Space Nine a chance because it was different (Set on a space station not a ship, more arc-based story) and how IMO out of all the Star Trek's DS9 is the best and it's still considered the black sheep of the family by a lot of trek people.

There's also the fact that DS9's plot was very reminiscent of a certain other...much smaller budgeted scifi show..........
Old 2004-08-27, 01:49   Link #55
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebus
Turn A is actually Tomino's(creator of gundam) greatest work after he came out of his depression and you know, he is actually disgusted at how seed and wing went.The true meaning of gundam is not the mecha but the story of how wars affect people.Turn A fits the category and more with one of the best stories i have seen.Actually I personally think Turn A gundam is one of the best looking gundams yet.
There was this piece of criticism I once read a long time ago how Turn A is the actually the most successful in what Tomino wanted to express in Gundam. I have no idea what he/she meant, but that statement prompted me to check this out. I've just started now however.

I'm currently watching Mobile Suit Gundam right now, and damn hell, I can confidently say that it's probably the best Gundam series I've seen so far. As usual, it also has the problematic teenager, but at least it doesn't take an entire season for him to start growing up.

If the flavor of Turn A is closer to this than to Wing's or Seed's, then I could be in for a great ride.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-29, 10:30   Link #56
rainysky

just started watching, up to ep3, don't really like the design of the mechs or characters in this series, don't get me wrong i like gundam (models) but just not for this series...

but a lot of you guys say the story is good, i don't exactly get whats going on... so far i get..rolan and his 2 other friends are from the moon but during that ceremony the people from the moon attack? and rolan defends the town from them...is that right?
rainysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-29, 13:40   Link #57
Blaat

I'm liking Turn-A Gundam so far. About the MS design, I have mixed feelings for example I loath the WaDom yet I love the SUMO and Turn-A. It depends per suit.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-29, 13:48   Link #58
Imazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebus

Well I dont think you are a hard core gundam fan as i think you only like cool
mecha action.Turn A is actually Tomino's(creator of gundam) greatest work after he came out of his depression and you know, he is actually disgusted at how seed and wing went.The true meaning of gundam is not the mecha but the story of how wars affect people.Turn A fits the category and more with one of the best stories i have seen.Actually I personally think Turn A gundam is one of the best looking gundams yet.

Ps.If you guys are impressed with the battles now the future battles are more interesting as Rolan comes up with inventive ways to use Turn A.
Didnt say anything about the story, but I really cant stand the "dirty sanchez gundam" like my friends liek to call it for some reason.

And just to be sure, Gundam Wing, Gundam Seed and Gundam X are not real gundam serie, well not in my opinion at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrek
This is a perfect example of how the single most creative Gundam show gets ignored, while rehashed, unimaginative shows like SEED canb e successes. Turn A is bad because you don't like the Turn A's design look? It's true, the Turn A doesn't make good action figures, but it works well in the show, and the show has a great plot. Isn't that what matters?
Lol no, Gundam is one of the only anome serie where the mech design matters, in fact its my favorite thing in the gundam universe. Mech are so ugly drawn in Turn A that it is really repulsive, compared that to the orinigal gundam serie or to mech in Char's Counterattack or my personnal favorite Gundam ZZ where even if the image quality isnt that great the gundam doesnt look like sh**. Not to mention that the Turn A gundam is hugely overpowered for someone interested a little in the gundam stats.
And the story is far from being a genius story like most of you seems to think. I liked alot more that dark Gundam Victory or the military atmosphere of the original Gundam than how they try to pull it off in Turn A. I still consider it like a Gundam serie tough so it should be enough. But a medium story with crappy mech design just doesnt cut it.

Last edited by Imazul; 2004-08-29 at 13:59.
Imazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-29, 14:27   Link #59
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainysky
but a lot of you guys say the story is good, i don't exactly get whats going on... so far i get..rolan and his 2 other friends are from the moon but during that ceremony the people from the moon attack? and rolan defends the town from them...is that right?
Yup. What I understand so far: ^^

The story start with Loran, Keith and Fran Doll on the mission to infiltrate earth and try to blend into the society. Their mission was to obeserve for 2 years and then the Moon Race will start migrating to earth.

This is in a way, just like back in the day when Europe were on the age of world exploration. The moonrace think they are far more advance than the native in technology and surely the native will recognize that and will give in to their demand to settle into earth. But they didn't expect the native despite their low tech decide to put resistance. Just like when European arrived in America continent and met the Indian.

The intial contact between the Diana Counter and the Militia was pretty much what human usually do when they encounter an unknown race, shoot first, talk later. ^^;;

Loran despite his age is very responsible person and he was protecting Sochie when the Diana Counter arrived. He was torn what to do since he's a Moonrace and loyal to Diana sama but he likes Earth too and just cannot abandon them.
Old 2004-08-29, 15:20   Link #60
Trickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
I'm currently watching Mobile Suit Gundam right now, and damn hell, I can confidently say that it's probably the best Gundam series I've seen so far. As usual, it also has the problematic teenager, but at least it doesn't take an entire season for him to start growing up.
Zeta is much better. Although it helps to have seen the original msg first.
Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote