AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Full Metal Panic

Notices

Old 2018-04-04, 12:53   Link #361
Ulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Speculation: maybe they're going to air half the series in the Spring, take a break over the Summer, and finish it in the Fall. That sort of approach has been used by several shows over the last few years.
I wouldn't find it surprising. Split cours are in these days
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-05, 02:06   Link #362
Dextro
He Without a Title

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is going for a split cour. I can't see them finishing the show in 13 episodes.
Old 2018-04-08, 16:15   Link #363
dasvik

Send a message via Yahoo to dasvik
Anyone knows if a fansub group will translate the series?
dasvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-09, 07:06   Link #364
Mugen26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasvik View Post
Anyone knows if a fansub group will translate the series?
Since the series is officially licensed by Funimation/Crunchyroll, I'd imagine most places, legal or not, will have their version of English subtitles rather than fan-subbers taking the time to translate it themselves. But I could be wrong.

Personally, I have Crunchyroll's VRV service and plan on watching the series there along with the eventual dub, but as far as I know that's only a perk U.S. fans have access to.
Mugen26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-09, 10:50   Link #365
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I read the Sigma manga so I'm pretty sure the novels will be adapted into two cours.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-12, 01:03   Link #366
archoel

http://fullmeta-iv.com/story/01.html episode 1 info
sypnosis: 波しぶき立ち上がる岸壁近くの墓地で出会う双子の兄妹、レナードとテッサ。対峙する二人。テロ組織「アマル ガム」は“その時”を迎えるべく、着々と準備を進めていく。一方、冬の都立陣代高校では間もなく、三学期を 終えようとしていた・・・。
archoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-12, 16:07   Link #367
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by archoel View Post
http://fullmeta-iv.com/story/01.html episode 1 info
sypnosis: 波しぶき立ち上がる岸壁近くの墓地で出会う双子の兄妹、レナードとテッサ。対峙する二人。テロ組織「アマル ガム」は“その時”を迎えるべく、着々と準備を進めていく。一方、冬の都立陣代高校では間もなく、三学期を 終えようとしていた・・・。
Seems to be something about the two siblings Leonard and Tessa facing off against each other, the terrorist group Amalgam biding its time, and winter coming to Jindai high school as the third school term is in session.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-12, 17:12   Link #368
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

You think episode 1 might try to do a recap?
Old 2018-04-12, 17:44   Link #369
dasvik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
You think episode 1 might try to do a recap?
No, the synopsis is pretty much how "Continuing on my own" starts:
Spoiler for Novel content:

So it doesn't sound like a recap, and also a recap seems a total waste both in term of wasting (half) an episode and from a resource / cost point of view. I mean, we've had 12-13 years to recap what happened
Old 2018-04-13, 11:28   Link #370
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Looks like the English version will have a simuldub next month, considering the amount of shows that they got lately.

PS - Mad, there’s a separate episode 1 thread for IV.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-13, 11:33   Link #371
HunterSeeker
The Spirit of Steel

Location: HKSAR, PRC, Asia, The Earth, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Send a message via MSN to HunterSeeker
I spoke in the Episode 1 thread and I'll say again:
THE WHOLE FOURTH SEASON IS JUST A MIRACLE TO US.
Watching the first episode made all those spoiler posts from BOMF onwards like yesterday's stuff.
And from what we saw from Fafner EXODUS and Yamato2199 I am pretty sure XEBEC can handle this.

Good thing for us is that they go directly into action this episode. Doesn't feel they've lose the touch.
HunterSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-13, 11:51   Link #372
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post

PS - Mad, there’s a separate episode 1 thread for IV.
Thanks, I removed it from this section and moved it there.
Old 2018-04-13, 17:39   Link #373
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

BTW, I haven't read the Light novels but I recently read this "Based on the scripts they posted on Twitter, it seems that this cour will cover volumes 7-9 of the LNs."
Old 2018-05-11, 11:04   Link #374
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv165
*Graphic Designer

Since this week episode is a recap with virtually no additional content, there won't be any need for a weekly thread.

That being said, it is kind of ironic the music direction is way better in the recap. Particularly the actual use of Tatakau M9 during the fight against the Behemoth B.
Old 2018-05-11, 16:32   Link #375
dasvik

There's a new preview (kind of, it's very short) about the next arc on the official site.

Also, can someone please explain to me what's with this "1 week break" from FMP? I know TV shows do that, but that's because they still have to put stuff together from time to time, or it's some holiday season or other various reasons that I really can't believe can apply to anime. I mean, didn't they finish it already? And if they did, why interrupt it now? I know, new arc and all, but this season only has 12 episodes anyway, do we really need to drag it on? Can't they put that recap episode on a Wednesday, or a Sunday, or some other time, instead of replacing this week's episode with it?
Old 2018-05-11, 17:24   Link #376
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
There's a new preview (kind of, it's very short) about the next arc on the official site.

Also, can someone please explain to me what's with this "1 week break" from FMP? I know TV shows do that, but that's because they still have to put stuff together from time to time, or it's some holiday season or other various reasons that I really can't believe can apply to anime. I mean, didn't they finish it already? And if they did, why interrupt it now? I know, new arc and all, but this season only has 12 episodes anyway, do we really need to drag it on? Can't they put that recap episode on a Wednesday, or a Sunday, or some other time, instead of replacing this week's episode with it?
Actually anime episodes are usually finished just a couple of days or even hours before airing so scheduling is usually incredibly tight. This is the norm even if there are some exceptions in the industry (KyoAni for example manages to have more leeway supposedly). While some studios are just known for consistently failing to finish episodes on time *ahem*SHAFT*ahem*

And honestly I think this might explain some of the lower quality CGI in the previous episodes. If they were rushing for time, saving on shading during that car chase sequence makes sense.
Old 2018-05-11, 18:31   Link #377
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv165
*Graphic Designer

It is worth noting that it is the production committee that -buy- the broadcast slots at the TV channels, and even then, not delivering the anime episode in time can lead to a penalty/fine as result.

This is the very reason why anime series behind schedule don't prolong their initial broadcast period. In fact, the production commitee cannot except extremely rare exceptions. This is also why some series had to push back their last episode(s) for another season or even relegate them as BD/DVD episodes. This was the case for Kekkai sensen.

Generally, the producer(s) and the director call the shot: either they cut corner and deliver an half baked episode or use the usual recap episode to fill that slot, and do something about the last episode being pushed back.
In some cases, the production committee can foresee some trouble or the need for breathing room in the early stage of the production, leading to a recap slot being counted in advance. But that's not really common considering they all know recap episodes are not exactly thrilling for the audience. It is more often expected for mainstream shounen series because they usually are longer than even 2-3 cour, so they need to place some recap episodes here and there to give some leeway in the production as a whole.

And that kind of stuff happen because it is nearly impossible to catch up the intended schedule of the production if even 1 single episode is late, as it has a snowball effect on the series as a whole.
As such, don't event expect a noticeably better production value for the next episodes. If anything, that recap is so early and the fact they had to delay the broadcast for 2 cours are pretty much evidence that the studio has huge troubles to finish the episodes in time.
Old 2018-05-11, 18:47   Link #378
dasvik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Actually anime episodes are usually finished just a couple of days or even hours before airing so scheduling is usually incredibly tight. This is the norm even if there are some exceptions in the industry (KyoAni for example manages to have more leeway supposedly). While some studios are just known for consistently failing to finish episodes on time *ahem*SHAFT*ahem*

And honestly I think this might explain some of the lower quality CGI in the previous episodes. If they were rushing for time, saving on shading during that car chase sequence makes sense.
Ok, so if it's like that, what are they doing the whole time before a series actually premieres? In FMP IV's case, the first info we got about a new season was in autumn 2015. Sometime at the end of 2016 / beginning of 2017 they said the anime will air in autumn 2017. Then they changed that date to spring 2018 because, despite their efforts, they could not finish it in time.

And now, despite all that, they still haven't finished the episodes, and are actually retouching them just before airing? What in the world did they do all this time? I mean, yeah, they did that audio drama for DVMC, but I hardly think that's relevant, and while the announcement was made in 2015, the prolly started to work on the series far later, but still.

I must say, I don't know anything about anime-production, maybe if I did this would not seem so strange. But seeing that I don't, this is really, really confusing for me.
Old 2018-05-11, 19:33   Link #379
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv165
*Graphic Designer

Announcement doesn't mean they can work on the production immediately.
They have to look for the studio, the said studio need to assess if their manpower is sufficient for this (be it animation directors, animators and so forth).
There is also a lot of other things to check, such as Seiyuu auditions or making sure the returning seiyuu are available during the given production period.

Another fundamental common issue is the script and storyboard. The director have to discuss with the scenarists and scripters (and the original author) what to cut, what kind of stuff they expect to do and so on.
Then the directors and/or animation directors have to create the storyboard (basically the blueprint of an episode), which can be extremely troublesome.

And all of this is assuming they do everything in house. If they have to outsource stuff (which is very likely in FMP IV considering the CGI and production mishaps), it add even more potential trouble midway.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2018-05-12 at 05:38.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-12, 06:42   Link #380
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Ok, so if it's like that, what are they doing the whole time before a series actually premieres? In FMP IV's case, the first info we got about a new season was in autumn 2015. Sometime at the end of 2016 / beginning of 2017 they said the anime will air in autumn 2017. Then they changed that date to spring 2018 because, despite their efforts, they could not finish it in time.

And now, despite all that, they still haven't finished the episodes, and are actually retouching them just before airing? What in the world did they do all this time? I mean, yeah, they did that audio drama for DVMC, but I hardly think that's relevant, and while the announcement was made in 2015, the prolly started to work on the series far later, but still.

I must say, I don't know anything about anime-production, maybe if I did this would not seem so strange. But seeing that I don't, this is really, really confusing for me.
Shirobako really helped a lot put anime production into perspective. It's a very lighthearted take on it but they did tackle the issue properly.

I bring this up because I remember that show showing a table of the typical anime production schedule. I can't seem to find a screencap of it but here's one I found googling:

You can see that broadcasting usually takes place immediately after the final step and the usual production doesn't really have a large enough number of people to have more than 2, maybe 3 teams tackling animation or editing for example (let alone voice acting which, for obvious reasons, you cannot have a second team).

So usually if one of those steps in the process fails you need to re-organize the entire schedule to try and keep it together. And hardly any of those steps can be re-ordered. Maybe you can do voice recording based on the storyboards and animate after but that's about it.

We can only speculate what's causing production issues to FMP but I'd venture a guess that CG is a big part of it going from what we've seen in the first 4 episodes but it could be anything else really and I don't really have any more info to try and guess further.