AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-07, 20:20   Link #3301
freeofgreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Real authors speak through their work. Those who needs to explain their shit afterwards... well, I wouldn't even call them authors...

I'm talking in general terms though. HunterxHunter is a pretty well written series, and I don't see Togashi going out of his way to explain anything. The guidebooks only give trivia information, and I seriously doubt they're written by Togashi himself anyway.
By your logic then, every author who has ever written a guidebook( including Togashi) isn't a "real author" then. Also as I've stated before the guide books credit Togashi as the author, so unless you have a source saying he wasn't the one who wrote them, there is absolutely no reason to believe otherwise.
freeofgreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 20:40   Link #3302
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeofgreed View Post
By your logic then, every author who has ever written a guidebook( including Togashi) isn't a "real author" then.
Well, that would depend on what the guidebook is about. Trivia information's okay I suppose, since it's basically irrelevant to the story.
Old 2013-07-07, 23:06   Link #3303
Upscaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeofgreed View Post
People are still debating this? Pitou is man! If you guys want to refer to him as a female that's completely fine but officially Pitou is man. Want a source? Here you go.

The character circled in both images is kare (he), also Pitou refers to himself using Boku, which is a masculine pronoun. Also the anime made Pitou look a lot more femine than he did in the manga (though he did become more femine as time went on in the manga as well, he never had breasts iirc).

Also the argument about the databooks being unreliable is a horrible one to make. Just because certain facts were retconned doesn't automatically make everything in them invalid. So seeing as how Pitou's gender was never retconned it stands as fact until Togashi proves otherwise. The guidebooks were written by Togashi so they take precedent over EVERYTHING except the manga.

I don't know why people are trying to debate word of god here, next your gonna have people saying Knuckle is actually a female...
The second data book does not refer to Pitou as "kare" ("he.") That "kare" is referring to someone else.

The first guidebook came out fairly early in the arc. Togashi worked on the Chimera Ant arc for eight years, and, let's just say, a lot can happen in eight years.

Also, the Japanese use of the kanji 「彼」 , while strongly implying that a person is male, does leave a little more wiggle room than the English word "he," since the same kanji can be used for "aré" ("that".)

As far as I'm concerned, Pitou's gender is ambiguous by design. You will find circumstantial evidence pointing to Pitou being male, while other factors imply that Pitou is female.

P.S. The second guidebook entry contains some heavy spoilers for anyone who can read Japanese, although I'm not sure what the policy is regarding spoilers that are not in English.

Last edited by Upscaled; 2013-07-08 at 10:05.
Upscaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 23:48   Link #3304
christinemarie
Crazy One

Pitou is a girl in anime even had the seiyuu voiced Pitou and that won't be questioned. I don't want my image of Pitou gets ruined.
christinemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 00:28   Link #3305
akumaten

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinemarie View Post
Pitou is a girl in anime even had the seiyuu voiced Pitou and that won't be questioned. I don't want my image of Pitou gets ruined.
Sure, because you don't want a psychotic Royal Guard who murdered Kite to have its image ruined.

akumaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 01:36   Link #3306
bbsbwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumaten View Post
Sure, because you don't want a psychotic Royal Guard who murdered Kite to have its image ruined.

well...you know... some male anime audience find it extremely important to have female objects of desires in their favorite shows. Having cute looking characters to be confirmed as female would make they guilt/shame free to project whatever they desired to (ie: H/violent rape doujinshi). The ever unconfirmed gender of Pitou made them feel insecure to fantasize (but they'll do it anyway). In manga, Pitou is showed to have flat chest (where he isn't wearing clothes). But of course the rape doujinshi has to give 'her' huge breast. Otherwise i really don't understand why Pitou's gender is all that important, he's a monster and an interesting one nonetheless. It's always some people complaining not wanting their fantasy ruined, or how 'she's too cute' to not to be a girl... it tends to be that kinda girl crazy horny angle. Male cats appeared 'feminine' in their voice, face, demeanor too...when compares to mainstream standard. His outfit look like a school boys uniform to me (his hair, school boy coat, just reminded me of classic pretty boy cliche). More importantly, he identified himself as 'boku' (not once did he ever act nor talk like Zazan or Sina), so that's good enough for me.

Last edited by bbsbwk; 2013-07-08 at 01:48.
bbsbwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 02:05   Link #3307
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

WTH happened to this thread?? Two pages of heated debates regarding of whether an ambiguous monster-ant is male or female?? I’m assuming that it’s gonna be important in the future, but if it’s not, and his/her/its purpose in the story is only to fight our heroes until he/she/it is defeated or dies then why bother?
Old 2013-07-08, 07:55   Link #3308
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Pitou's gender is completely irrelevant to the plot. Togashi himself probably doesn't even care what her gender is. We're discussing it because genders are important to us viewers, I suppose. We need to know which pronoun to use when referring to the character in order to avoid causing confusion. I'll just stick with CR's translation, since I assume most of us are watching their subs.
Old 2013-07-08, 08:22   Link #3309
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

As for myself, if I’m torn about Pitou’s gender, I will simply refer using “it” or its name since Pitou itself is a monster/mutant-ant. I think ants (beside queen & the fertile males) has their own definition of gender. I mean, who knows, from ant’s POV, someone like Colt (with obvious man's heavy voice) might still count as an infertile female ant like the normal soldier/worker-ant in our world .
Old 2013-07-08, 09:14   Link #3310
Hamster

"word of god" can only go so far.

What if Togashi brings back Leorio into the story, and he's still the exact same person we know him to be complete with his chin stubble...but then announces that he's actually a canon girl?

Then Gon goes to visit his aunt Mito, still the same as ever...but no, she was a man since the beginning...at least officially now he is.

Remember Razor? Yeah, about that.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 09:19   Link #3311
kakakka

^Those are disgusting suggestions just to make a point.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 09:39   Link #3312
Upscaled

OK, at the risk of pouring oil on a fire, here's one more comment about Pitou's gender. Obviously, I can only point out what has already been shown in the anime. And I will admit that what has been shown so far largely point to Pitou being male. The use of "boku," the clothes that look like a schoolboy's uniform, and the use of "kare" in the earlier data book have already been pointed out. Although I will note that in the original manga, Pitou first appears with what looks like large, lacy ribbons tied at the front with a rose to counterbalance the schoolboy's uniform. However, that accessory quickly disappears, and never appears in the anime.

Then there's the name. The name is almost certainly a reference to an old, French, children's picture book, "Pitou la petite panthère," by Pierre Probst. That Pitou was a little panther, and he was male.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/150124912/...-panthere-1968

Last edited by Upscaled; 2013-07-08 at 10:10.
Old 2013-07-08, 10:07   Link #3313
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upscaled View Post
The name is almost certainly a reference to an old, French, children's picture book, "Pitou la petite panthère," by Pierre Probst. That Pitou was a little panther, and he was male.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/150124912/...-panthere-1968
Note that I’m not arguing about Pitou’s gender here (wasting time imo). It’s just, the argument about the “Pitou” name is kinda interesting. So, what about the “Nefer” part that preceded the “Pitou” part? Isn’t it derived from the Egyptian princess called Nefertiti? So, maybe Togashi intended her name to mean “Princess Panther” or something like that.
Old 2013-07-08, 10:19   Link #3314
Upscaled

From Wikipedia:
"Nefer is a word in the Ancient Egyptian language that was used to symbolize beauty and goodness. The exact translation of the word in English is "Beautiful on the inside and the outside". [citation needed]

"The term Nefer has been incorporated into many female names in Ancient Egypt. Examples include Nefertiti, Nefererini, and Nefertari.

"Nefer was an ancient Egyptian pharaoh who ruled for two years, one month, and a day, from 2197–2193 BCE, according to the Turin Canon, though he reigned during the reign of Pepi II Neferkare."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nefer

Re. Pepi II Neferkare, again from Wikipedia:
"His throne name, Neferkare (Nefer-ka-Re), means "Beautiful is the Ka of Re"."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepi_II_Neferkare

Nefer-ka-Re. There's a joke in there somewhere...

Last edited by Upscaled; 2013-07-08 at 10:31.
Old 2013-07-08, 10:20   Link #3315
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
WTH happened to this thread?? Two pages of heated debates regarding of whether an ambiguous monster-ant is male or female?? I’m assuming that it’s gonna be important in the future, but if it’s not, and his/her/its purpose in the story is only to fight our heroes until he/she/it is defeated or dies then why bother?
No comment on Pitou's gender, but I'm not sure why you think a villain's only purpose is to be defeated. Is Hisoka's purpose to be defeated? Pitou is a character and will get his/her own character development.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 10:37   Link #3316
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
From Wikipedia:
"Nefer is a word in the Ancient Egyptian language that was used to symbolize beauty and goodness. The exact translation of the word in English is "Beautiful on the inside and the outside". [citation needed]

"The term Nefer has been incorporated into many female names in Ancient Egypt. Examples include Nefertiti, Nefererini, and Nefertari.

"Nefer was an ancient Egyptian pharaoh who ruled for two years, one month, and a day, from 2197–2193 BCE, according to the Turin Canon, though he reigned during the reign of Pepi II Neferkare."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nefer

Re. Pepi II Neferkare, again from Wikipedia:
"His throne name, Neferkare (Nefer-ka-Re), means "Beautiful is the Ka of Re"."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepi_II_Neferkare

Nefer-ka-Re. There's a joke in there somewhere...
Exactly. I guess “beautiful” is the key here. That’s why they used that word to name a princess. So, does that mean Neferpitou = Beautiful Panther?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
No comment on Pitou's gender, but I'm not sure why you think a villain's only purpose is to be defeated. Is Hisoka's purpose to be defeated? Pitou is a character and will get his/her own character development.
Clearly, you miss the big “if” in my comment. I’m not saying or thinking that every villain’s purpose is only to be defeated (Though some villains are exactly like that. Just, look at many Roger Moore’s James Bonds megalomaniac villains who exist only to be defeated without even helping Bond’s character develop). I'm saying if even the author wants/meant Pitou to be an "ambiguous" character, why bother? Let’s all just enjoy Pitou’s ambiguity together and enjoy the show together .
Old 2013-07-08, 10:45   Link #3317
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
The use of "boku,"
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Bokukko

Also, do we really have to spend so many pages debating the uncertain gender of someone whose gender is completely irrelevant?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 10:56   Link #3318
Upscaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Bokukko

Also, do we really have to spend so many pages debating the uncertain gender of someone whose gender is completely irrelevant?
Well, gender identity is a topic that I find endlessly fascinating. It seems to interest Togashi as well. He has created other examples of gender confusion, including a notorious example that is neither Kurapica (obviously male IMHO,) nor Pitou.

P.S. Re. bokukko: I'm not saying Pitou is male. My position is that Pitou's gender is indeterminate, and that Togashi designed things that way. There are at least three major hints in the story that imply that Pitou's personality is female.

Last edited by Upscaled; 2013-07-08 at 11:53.
Old 2013-07-08, 11:06   Link #3319
noktown

Quote:
Real authors speak through their work.
It's obvious that Pitou's design was presented WITH the intention to mess with our heads.He's not the first nor the last author who does this.

Quote:
Those who needs to explain their shit afterwards well, I wouldn't even call them authors...
Yeah,the sales of Hunter x Hunter and Yu-Yu Hakusho say hi.

You're throwing around the word "author" a lot ,an author is an artist,there's no rule to being an artist,just like there's no rule to drawing a picture or writing a song.It's all about what's going on through the artist's head,what he feels,the vibe.
Every piece of art most of the time is based on something personal or an experience in that person's life,they hide the meaning in their work.

Frankly if Togashi saw a discussion like this,he would probably laugh his butt off,but I felt like saying that.
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 12:36   Link #3320
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
Yeah,the sales of Hunter x Hunter and Yu-Yu Hakusho say hi.
I wasn't talking about HunterxHunter in particular, but I think you're missing the point anyway.

Tags
action, shounen