AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

Old 2012-01-19, 01:14   Link #381
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well I guess I'll chime in here. I don't really see Another as a horror at this point, but more so of a suspenseful psychological thriller. You just know something's wrong underneath everything and you're waiting for some bomb to be dropped in some form or another. The atmosphere of the anime that sets this up I find really quite remarkable.

So yes, it may not be scary, but for what has been shown so far, I think it excels at other things so much that it comes into its own really.

And it wasn't like Higurashi was that scary either. Had a similar mood about it really, with something just not seeming quite right underneath everything all the time.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-19, 01:17   Link #382
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well I for one think that the concept of health is central to the plot of the story, and also a bit like Silent Hill, is that the situation they are in isn't exactly something they can merely escape by enrolling somewhere else. In the same way that the Silent Hill protagonists are being brought back to the physical representation of the battle between good and evil, perhaps the characters in Another are being brought together to that class and to that circumstances by a power that they cannot begin to imagine.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-19, 01:21   Link #383
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Worth wondering why the students couldn't have simply refused to enrol in that group, if it does indeed have such a reputation. It may well be that they, or possibly their parents, were related to the incidents 26 years ago.
In general, students have no say in which class they are allocated to. In fact in some anime there are scenes of students crowding around bulletin boards to see their class allocation during the sakura season, and usually they would be in great joy if they share the same class with their friends/gf/bf.

Students are free to drop out and transfer to another school, however, as long as they can secure a place somewhere else.

This alone doesn't make your theory less valid though. At this point of time the connection between the students and the incident (if there was one) has not yet been made clear.
Old 2012-01-19, 03:14   Link #384
Unknown Soldier
:D

The class allocation ritual can be seen at the beginning of Persona 3.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-19, 18:12   Link #385
kitten320

I wish I didn't read series description because it makes me want to scream at the class "Just say it already!". It is really unfare of them to keep the guy in dark while constantly mentioning things in front of him.

Also why did he decide that someone had died?

Duno, I can't get into freaky mood here. And I even switched off the lights and waited for everyone to go to bed =/
I'm not horror fan but this feels weak...
Old 2012-01-19, 19:10   Link #386
White Manju Bun
Born to make history
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I agree with what Reckoner said above, I think its more mystery/suspense right now, Horror is kind of a general genre that a lot gets put in under.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-19, 22:01   Link #387
FateAnomaly

Quote:
I wish I didn't read series description because it makes me want to scream at the class "Just say it already!". It is really unfare of them to keep the guy in dark while constantly mentioning things in front of him.

Duno, I can't get into freaky mood here. And I even switched off the lights and waited for everyone to go to bed =/
I feel that way too. But actually he doesn't seem interested in it also. He doesn't even try to ask them or his aunt about it for that matter.

He probably read too much horror stories. Girl + midnight visit to morgue = ghost
Also there is a weird part. Which floor is HE suppose to stop at anyway? The elevator doesn't go beyond B2....
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-19, 22:07   Link #388
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
I feel that way too. But actually he doesn't seem interested in it also. He doesn't even try to ask them or his aunt about it for that matter.

He probably read too much horror stories. Girl + midnight visit to morgue = ghost
Also there is a weird part. Which floor is HE suppose to stop at anyway? The elevator doesn't go beyond B2....
I think he wanted to go up, but didn't realize the elevator was going down?
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 00:52   Link #389
TinyRedLeaf
Feeling comfy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
I think he wanted to go up, but didn't realize the elevator was going down?
I haven't properly formulated my ideas so my explanation will sound garbled but, for what it's worth, here's my take.

I've posted earlier that the second episode alluded several times to sight and, more importantly, to the concept of seeing. It opens, for example, with Yuya Mochizuki's painting of the lemon's scream, itself an allusion to Edvard Munch's more famous painting, The Scream. When Koichi Sakakibara wondered aloud whether looking at The Scream makes one feel uneasy, Mochizuki hesitantly agreed, saying that he "feels uneasy about everything".

He added ominously that "it doesn't do any good to pretend you can't see what's going on".

That was when Teshigawara popped up and carelessly let slip that the class was cursed. Remember that this was the first time Sakakibara learnt about this. Up until now, he only felt it odd that there is this quiet girl in class he sees, but everyone else doesn't seem to. A girl he had last met at the hospital, walking towards the morgue, in the middle of the night.

Sakakibara may not say it out loud, but he would be incredibly dense if he doesn't suspect by now that Mei Misaki may be something a little bit more than normal. And I think that is part of the reason he is so apparently fascinated with her — he wants to know if what he suspects is true. That's why he decided to ask the nurse if a girl had died recently in the hospital. I get the sense that he doesn't quite believe it, but he wants to be sure that he isn't, in fact, "seeing dead people".

(Incidentally, I find it interesting that the hospital is apparently located in Yomiyama. The kanji literally reads as "Night Sees Mountain".)

As for the lift, there were actually two lift trips in the episode. The first one had Sakakibara very clearly skipping a "non-existent" floor to arrive to the "fifth" storey and meet the nurse. During their conversation, the lift started moving again, this time going down to the second basement. No one was apparently inside the lift. And when the doors opened at the second basement, there was no one waiting for it.

What did we, the audience, (not) see?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 01:17   Link #390
larethian

@TinyRedLeaf

I didn't notice it (and can't check it now), but by non-existent, you mean level 4? It's actually not abnormal to find missing level 4s.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 01:34   Link #391
TinyRedLeaf
Feeling comfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
I didn't notice it (and can't check it now), but by non-existent, you mean level 4? It's actually not abnormal to find missing level 4s.
That's why I wrote "non-existent" with inverted commas. People may choose to label it as level five, but it doesn't change the fact that they are still, in truth, on level four (death).

Mochizuki: "It doesn't do any good to pretend you can't see what's going on."
Old 2012-01-20, 05:53   Link #392
Unknown Soldier
:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
As for the lift, there were actually two lift trips in the episode. The first one had Sakakibara very clearly skipping a "non-existent" floor to arrive to the "fifth" storey and meet the nurse. During their conversation, the lift started moving again, this time going down to the second basement. No one was apparently inside the lift. And when the doors opened at the second basement, there was no one waiting for it.

What did we, the audience, (not) see?
Well, what we the audience should have seen was that the elevator, apparently empty, made the exact same trip down to B2 in this episode that it did in the first episode. The difference is that Kouichi wasn't in the elevator. When Kouichi was in it, Mei was there. When he wasn't, neither was she. It did exactly the same thing though, it went to B2, the doors opened, and a period of time passed (Kouichi was hanging out of the open door asking Mei what her name was), and then the doors closed.

At this point I find it really hard to imagine this is coincidental. The animators have been very careful and purposeful this show to make sure we see exactly what we are supposed to see and everything we see is for a reason. Elevators don't go to arbitrary floors for no reason. Well, in most buildings, elevators have a reset floor they go to if no one has used them awhile, usually this is the first floor so they are ready to take passengers. Elevators do not, however, open their doors when going to the reset floor, and nobody would set a basement floor as the reset floor.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 06:04   Link #393
TinyRedLeaf
Feeling comfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
At this point I find it really hard to imagine this is coincidental. The animators have been very careful and purposeful this show to make sure we see exactly what we are supposed to see and everything we see is for a reason. Elevators don't go to arbitrary floors for no reason. Well, in most buildings, elevators have a reset floor they go to if no one has used them awhile, usually this is the first floor so they are ready to take passengers. Elevators do not, however, open their doors when going to the reset floor, and nobody would set a basement floor as the reset floor.
It's actually creepier than that. The lift wasn't going to a "reset" floor. Look again. The button for B2 in the lift was lit, meaning someone had pressed it, intending to go to that floor.
Old 2012-01-20, 07:47   Link #394
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Well, what we the audience should have seen was that the elevator, apparently empty, made the exact same trip down to B2 in this episode that it did in the first episode. The difference is that Kouichi wasn't in the elevator. When Kouichi was in it, Mei was there. When he wasn't, neither was she. It did exactly the same thing though, it went to B2, the doors opened, and a period of time passed (Kouichi was hanging out of the open door asking Mei what her name was), and then the doors closed.

At this point I find it really hard to imagine this is coincidental.
Nice catch.... I noticed it too, but didnt think about it any further. Does that actually mean, that Kouichi is the only one, who can see her? Or one of the few who do, so when he isnt around, Mei becomes invisible? Oo
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 08:53   Link #395
kitten320

Even as mystery it lacks... take Ghost Hunt as example, now that was strong. But this... I get irritated far more than excited and I love ghost stories

Am really hoping that we will get to main story soon because running around the bush like that is getting us nowhere especially when series description got pass all this staff in just few sentences =/

Shiki series were also clear from the start yet they still manage to keep the attention.
Old 2012-01-20, 12:42   Link #396
Cosmic Eagle
『青い空』、きっとキレイなんだろうなぁ

Lol the old woman in the shop and Chibiki-san actually look less creepy here...

す べ て の 想 い に  巡 り 来 る 祝 福 を
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 17:08   Link #397
Iron Maw
Banned

The doll transitions are really starting to irritate me, and that and several things such feel like the show is trying to force it's atmosphere sometimes. Otherwise fairly intriguing episode.

Quote:
This too bothered me especially in the manga for later reasons in the show.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-20, 22:04   Link #398
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
The doll transitions are really starting to irritate me, and that and several things such feel like the show is trying to force it's atmosphere sometimes. Otherwise fairly intriguing episode.
I'm rather glad that they got to the doll shop in Ep. 2, so that the doll transitions now feel less like "We're gonna throw in random creepy images in the hope of generating some atmosphere" and more like something that now has some connection to the actual storyline, at the least rising to motif or metaphor status. Before, they were just jarring. Kind of like the opening theme, really.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 07:44   Link #399
NeoChan
Banned

I just seen the OP and my first impression was it's like a murder theme anime... the dolls being mutilated, the eyes, road... it's like a one of those mind bubbing psycho suspense anime... I hope this anime has really a good ending ... and not hanging...
NeoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-21, 08:44   Link #400
kitten320

With this pacing and only 12 episodes to go, I'm doubting a normal ending...

Tags
horror, mystery, seinen