AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Old 2007-04-11, 13:31   Link #381
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

I found episode two to be mightily good but then again I tend to be a sucker for anime showing hopelesness and despair.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 13:35   Link #382
Jaden

Nice first 2 episodes. I'll definately keep watching this. Funny, I too have developed a tendency to predict the following events when watching anime.
I predicted the meaning of the black card correctly, but I didn't expect Clare to do the deed so easily...thought it'd get a little more dramatic. The only emotion she showed was a faint reaction when receiving the card. I think this will change later, though...
Old 2007-04-11, 14:57   Link #383
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flick View Post
I've just finished watching the first episode and am seriously wondering if I should watch the second... seeing as I then have to wait another week or something for the next one hehe.
There's always the opition of watching the whole thing during a weekend after every episode has been subbed (or after every episode has been released on DVD, in case of a license). I sometimes found myself enjoying some shows more if I watch them like this.

I will probably end up doing this with Nanoha Striker S btw.
Old 2007-04-11, 15:07   Link #384
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Ep2 is released cant wait for it to download thank you Eclipse : D
Old 2007-04-11, 16:59   Link #385
flick
電脳コイル'd

Alot happens in the first episode I agree... I can't say I noticed the background music very much so I'd better watch it again just in case.
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 17:54   Link #386
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Episode 2 doesn't have much action but focused more on the fate of the Claymores.

I'm glad they didn't try to play up the yoma of the week and just kept it short and brief while focus on showing a bit more of the Claymore's background.

Spoiler for episode2:
Old 2007-04-11, 18:05   Link #387
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Anyone want to explain why Rubel kept calling claymores claymores even though he's part of the organization? I don't why, but it kind of annoys considering claymores don't like being called claymores.
This should really be fairly obvious from the context. When he's talking to Raki, he isn't representing the organization (he answers "I don't know" to things that he, of all people, should be aware of), he's acting like a random passerby who just happened to have some information to share (with, combined with his earlier conversation with Clare, an implied intention of driving a wedge between Raki and Clare). As such, he'll use the "public" term for Clare's kind, rather than any term they use internal to the organization. And Clare's not there to take offense at that point anyway.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 18:16   Link #388
Wosho128
I like tinkering on stuff

I like this episode better than it was shown in the manga.

The transitions for this series are ridiculously fast. The fast pace of the episodes is a welcome change though, haha.

Anybody else notice the awesome background themes in this episode? The music is a lot more diverse than the first episode. The last theme used in the actual episode is excessively pretty. The use of the piano sort of fits with the dark and morbid scenes.

RAWR! I want a soundtrack!

Nice episode!
Wosho128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 18:50   Link #389
ghosthunter

I love the manga for this Anime. I showed it to my brother and he thought the character designs were sparse and boring. I disagreed with him though. There is something subtle about it that makes it interesting. Like the lack of facial expression or reaction from Clare really contrasts with the Dynamic action.

As far as the Anime goes I think it is very good. I'm a novice but I like how they injected some lush color into the backgrounds. The forests, mountains, and villages look great and adds to the atmosphere.

I was a bit worried at how they would deal with the more risque gore and nudity in the manga. I didn't know if they'd tone it down. But they kept the action exciting and shocking (cringed when the Yoma infilcted that injury on Clare) and the parts were Clare removes her armour was done tastefully. I can't wait to see the next episode.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 21:26   Link #390
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 2.

I think they've done the right thing by already showing us how the Claymore end their lives, but seeing as it's early days and I don't really care all that much for the characters yet, the whole thing was rather melodramatic. But, as a chapter in the entire story, it was good, as it keeps the lingering question of death hanging over Clare for the rest of the series, which will make for some inevitable drama later on.

Animation-wise, I still don't think this is Madhouse's greatest effort ever. Seems a little below-par for them. Still early days on this show, so it's impossible to call whether it's a winner or not.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 22:02   Link #391
jtrog

I liked EP. 2 a lot. There is a mysticism with the graphics fog and darkness of the skys. Like in the midevil times when clouds covered the skys for a year. This is one series I would like to see as a 'real life' series with a lot of quality CG graphics like many movies are being made with today.

The producers could do a lot with blue screen effects.
jtrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 23:27   Link #392
Joojoobees

@Sorrow-K:
I completely agree with your post. It did have a melodramatic feel to it.
Spoiler:

As to the animation, it is a real mix. I think the character's faces are very nicely handled, but the rest (especially the backgrounds, which are absolutely minimal) are not impressive.

Still, I felt good that a lot of exposition was gotten out of the way this episode, so I'm looking forward to the real plot kicking in soon.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 23:35   Link #393
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Random Thoughts on Ep02:
---- ----
  • More fast-forwarding this week, but I don't mind. They kept all the important plot points in, and expanded a bit more on the friendship between Clare and Elena, so it is all good.
  • Watching this episode reminded me how much I wanted to slap Raki for being so clingy.
  • I guess I am in the minority here, but I really like the OP for Claymore. The music style is one that I happen to like, and I don't get to hear it often in anime. The ED is nice too, but I prefer the OP.
Cheers.
Old 2007-04-11, 23:50   Link #394
Joojoobees

Thumbs up You are so right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Watching this episode reminded me how much I wanted to slap Raki for being so clingy.
THANK YOU.
Spoiler for Raki needs a slap:
Old 2007-04-12, 00:38   Link #395
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I am probably among the last to watch the second episode, but watched I did in the end.

Not much for me to add. Good episode all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane
Watching this episode reminded me how much I wanted to slap Raki for being so clingy.
Same here.
Old 2007-04-12, 03:19   Link #396
Cythraul

Wasn't anyone else bothered by the "half-human, half-yoma blah blah blah half-human, half-yoma blah blah blah half-human, half-yoma blah blah blah half-human, half-yoma blah blah blah" excuse for a dialogue? I mean seriously, how many times was everything repeated in this episode? And it's not like "using monster powers will eventually turn you into one" is so radically new idea that it even needed to be explained. It's been done so many times that it should have been glaringly obvious by the first episode. Watching the second episode made me feel like I was being treated like a slightly moronic little child, ie. Raki.

So yeah, the second episode really frustrated me. I think the series has potential, but IMHO it's simply badly written (even by anime standards) and underestimates the audience too much. Will it get any better? Or am I alone in feeling this? As it is now, I guess I'll give it one more shot before dropping it.
Cythraul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 03:25   Link #397
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_Method View Post
Anyone want to explain why Rubel kept calling claymores claymores even though he's part of the organization? I don't why, but it kind of annoys considering claymores don't like being called claymores.
Just for the record but.... We never actually hear this guy's name during the episode.
Old 2007-04-12, 04:54   Link #398
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
I think the anime is at least on par or even better than the manga. I can't really find much flaw in it and the drawings are better than in the manga imo.
Old 2007-04-12, 05:05   Link #399
Mentar
Banned

Overall, the anime has a better structure than the manga. Yes, some of the stuff was redundant, but then again, they had to fill out the episode before the next arc. I wouldn't read too much into it. Constraints of a single episode.

It certainly was a good idea not just to talk about Elena's/Clare's shared past, but to show it at least partially. Also, especially during the flashbacks (and the conclusion) I got to like the orchestral background score alot.

We'll get more than enough action in the near future ... ep2 concluded the "early explanations" and underlined that being a Claymore is pretty much the worst thing you can imagine. We gotta live through these parts, too.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 07:14   Link #400
Child_of_Sierra

Second episode pretty much answered where the yoma got the claymore outfit last episode.
>>so they just bury their dead wherever they fall? Organization does treat them as tools.

Fushigi-san doesn't seem to like Raki and I agree: That kid is a distraction.
Kinda like that elf thing from Berserk (keep forgetting his name). I know the main character needs someone to interact but still...

Okay episode but the bgm's are distracting for me cause I still can't get used to them

Episode summary:

Raki: Clare, Euthanasia is Bad!
Clare: We slept together when we were young but all good things must end.

Last edited by Child_of_Sierra; 2007-04-12 at 07:17. Reason: ooh what does this button do?
Child_of_Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote