AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-01-25, 17:35   Link #32661
Tiberium Wolf

They must be having a lot of fun playing with that catapult.
Old 2014-01-25, 17:37   Link #32662
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

That looks more like a trebuchet to me.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-01-26, 01:05   Link #32663
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
But for the first three weeks of this year, New Delhi’s average daily peak reading of fine particulate matter from Punjabi Bagh, a monitor whose readings are often below those of other city and independent monitors, was 473, more than twice as high as the average of 227 in Beijing. By the time pollution breached 500 in Beijing for the first time on the night of Jan. 15, Delhi had already had eight such days. Indeed, only once in three weeks did New Delhi’s daily peak value of fine particles fall below 300, a level more than 12 times the exposure limit recommended by the World Health Organization.
“It’s always puzzled me that the focus is always on China and not India,” said Dr. Angel Hsu, director of the environmental performance measurement program at the Yale Center for Environmental Law and Policy. “China has realized that it can’t hide behind its usual opacity, whereas India gets no pressure to release better data. So there simply isn’t good public data on India like there is for China.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/26/wo...i.html?hp&_r=0

gee, i wonder why
Old 2014-01-26, 01:10   Link #32664
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
gee, i wonder why
Quote:
“In China, people are extremely concerned about the air, especially around small children,” Mr. Hammes said. “Why there’s not the same concern in India is puzzling.”
Simple. Many people in India couldn't afford the air filters.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-01-26, 06:29   Link #32665
killer3000ad

Ukrainian rioters stormed a local gov admin building.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-01-26, 07:35   Link #32666
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I am amused that RT doesn't even hide their bias. They even called the rioters Nazis at one stage in a different video they uploaded.

Oh well, guess it can't be helped. RT is pretty good as a news source as long as it is about news NOT associated with Russian politics. So now I have to avoid them for the duration until this whole thing blows over.
Old 2014-01-26, 12:22   Link #32667
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I am amused that RT doesn't even hide their bias. They even called the rioters Nazis at one stage in a different video they uploaded.
Do they even know what Nazi are?
How could any riot of any kind be considered parallel to Nazism?
I mean, by the nature of rioting, they're not on the side of totalitarian authority, no?

It seems to me that most people these days that compare "the other side" to Nazi think Nazi is a generic word for "dem bad folks".
Old 2014-01-26, 12:47   Link #32668
sneaker

There are definitely Neo-Nazi groups among the protestors. You can see them in some of the photos of the riots.

http://libcom.org/news/neo-nazis-far...raine-23012014
Old 2014-01-26, 22:25   Link #32669
JokerD

Kim Jong-un 'executes direct relations of purged uncle'

I wonder how true this is. But ouch, the entire family? They must be threatening his rule.
Old 2014-01-26, 22:34   Link #32670
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

It's like the old china execution rule, you execute all his/her direct relation up to several generations(depending on the crime) to prevent revenge
Old 2014-01-27, 19:38   Link #32671
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Thai police rescue hundreds of Rohingya in raid on suspected traffickers' camp
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A0Q0IU20140127

Teen sets himself on fire in suburban Denver high school
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A0Q1C520140127
Old 2014-01-28, 22:51   Link #32672
LeoXiao
思想工作

Someone at work sent me this, but the link is now broken...

5 Phrases You Should Stop Using To Describe China

(quoted are the two points I found most interesting)

Quote:
2. Crediting the government with “lifting hundreds of millions out of poverty” — From The New York Times to Time to the World Bank, this phrase has become so standard and ubiquitous that people tend not even to think about it.

The problem is this: Chinese people weren’t “lifted” out of poverty. They lifted themselves. The Chinese economy’s incredible growth since 1980 came about not because of some omniscient Communist Party planning, but because the party backed off from the crushing, destructive Maoist policies.

After the nightmare of famine and chaos in the 1960s and 1970s, it is undoubtedly a miracle that China grew as fast as it did — but the credit for that goes to the resilience and entrepreneurialism of the Chinese people, not to the party that held them back for decades.
Quote:
5. Referring to free thinkers as “activists” or “dissidents” — There are many, many people in China who want more political liberties, freedom of speech, and rule of law. Most of them try to pursue these goals within the political system. Very, very few of them actively seek to subvert the Chinese government.

So why, when writing about people like the sacked professor Xia Yeliang, blind lawyer Chen Guangcheng, billionaire liberal Wang Gongquan, or human-rights defender Gao Zhisheng, do we always call them “activists” or “dissidents”? (I also have done this.)

Professor Perry Link, a sinologist at the University of California, Riverside, pointed out this cliché to me. The problem, he says, is that it unfairly marginalizes legitimate Chinese voices.

“Calling free thinkers ‘dissidents’ makes them seem like a fringe, when actually most dissidents have spoken for mainstream opinion,” he wrote in an email to GlobalPost.

“What makes them unusual is only that they are ready to pay the price for speaking frankly, while others are not. The Party explicitly uses the metaphor ‘mainstream’ to refer to its official positions, even when they are way out of line with popular feeling.”

In other words, people only become dissidents when the Chinese government decides to punish or persecute them for views that aren’t necessarily unusual.
Spoiler for full text:
Old 2014-01-29, 00:02   Link #32673
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Agree with the second, third and the fourth point.

1. 5000 Years? Even we Vietnamese only use "thousand years of past and culture". I've to admit, that is kind of too extremist.

2. Well, it's true that the people lited themself. Free economy, the government only here to maintain rule and balance, while making the rich-poor rift smaller.

3. Not all of the people understand the political system of Communist Country. The Party rules, and the General Secretary together with the Standing Comitee are the highest positions who control both the government and military.
Old 2014-01-29, 00:30   Link #32674
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I find it very interesting that the article relies on certain half truths that betray the author's own biases even as he criticises those of other journalists.

I'm on my way to an assignment and typing this from my smartphone, so I can't go into a more detailed analysis. Maybe later tonight if I have the time.
Old 2014-01-29, 00:36   Link #32675
LeoXiao
思想工作

I think the article is heavily opinionated and thought it could've done away with the "everyone else is doing it wrong" bit in the beginning, but I found its points eye-opening since those cliched phrases he talks about are indeed things you see a lot. But the fact that it was editorial in nature should be readily apparent from the title's use of "should".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Agree with the second, third and the fourth point.

1. 5000 Years? Even we Vietnamese only use "thousand years of past and culture". I've to admit, that is kind of too extremist.
There were Chinese dynasties around at least 4000 years ago, and certainly various kingdoms in the Chinese cradle of civilization before then, so "5000 years" isn't the problem. The issue is that many feel the need to mention it when they bring up China, but not for other countries that have a similarly long period of civilized society.
Old 2014-01-29, 01:18   Link #32676
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Yeah, just like if i say that "my family heritage has last for thousands and thousands years". It sounds grand, but does not quite means anything, as everyone could say the same.

Most country with big river running through can found a past civillisation of thousands years old to link themselves to, so it's all expected. Even in Australia, linking the recent white migration with thousands years of Aboriginal heritage to be part of "Australian culture" is also a common thing. So just a bit on integration and boom, that's gonna be 70,000 years of kangaroo-riding history on us, bitch
Old 2014-01-29, 01:19   Link #32677
LeoXiao
思想工作

There is a difference between culture and civilization, though admittedly the line is blurry. Usually we take into account things like legal codes, writing systems, architecture, etc.
Old 2014-01-29, 01:32   Link #32678
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Most Europeans can't trace a lineage back taht far because there was a serious break in the record keeping around the time Rome fell. I think the oldest legitamate family account is an Irish family in the 400s AD due to being a line of kings or clan leaders or something. There are a few who try to claim older, but there just aren't records for that. I'm not even sure the Jews can claim legitamate lineages back to the days of the twelve tribes and King Solomon (or even older) other than knowing they come from a specific tribe based on the family name.
Old 2014-01-29, 02:01   Link #32679
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
There were Chinese dynasties around at least 4000 years ago, and certainly various kingdoms in the Chinese cradle of civilization before then, so "5000 years" isn't the problem. The issue is that many feel the need to mention it when they bring up China, but not for other countries that have a similarly long period of civilized society.
I think what's unique about China in terms of history is the relative isolationism. It's not that they didn't trade with foreigners or anything, but like Japan they were largely spared from the Colonial Era or the Roman/Persian Empires, unlike many of their neighbors, until the modern era at least.

Heck, China's history is almost a microcosm of human history. There's a really good reason the western world looks at China, Japan, Korea, etc., culture in an almost mythical sense.
Old 2014-01-29, 02:27   Link #32680
AnimeFan188

India close to buying Japan-made military aircraft in $1.65 billion deal:

"India is set to become the first country since World War Two to buy a military
aircraft from Japan, helping Prime Minister Shinzo Abe end a ban on weapons
exports that has kept his country's defence contractors out of foreign markets.

The two countries are in broad agreement on a deal for the ShinMaywa Industries
amphibious aircraft, which could amount to as much as $1.65 billion, Indian officials
said on Tuesday."

See:

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/in...on-deal-476482
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international