AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-04-25, 09:33   Link #81
Altima of the Gates
Casting a spell on you...
*Graphic Designer

Location: Where there are no mallets or tentacles.... and the female cast of Tenjou Tenge is mine, all mine!
Send a message via AIM to Altima of the Gates Send a message via MSN to Altima of the Gates Send a message via Yahoo to Altima of the Gates
I've watched 1 and 2, and to me, its not that bad. I mean really, I've seen much worse than this.
Now then: (prepares for the flames)
About Kiriya: to me, he seems kinda flat, like hes just going along for the ride.
If you would say that Souma is brash and brainless, then I would say that Kiriya is pretty close to being an emotionless doll. I've never played any Shining games past Shining Force II on the Genesis, so I don't know anything about Shining Tears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retracnosna View Post
watched episode 3

starting to think japanese writers are self loathers, or masochists or something

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Altima of the Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 23:46   Link #82
retracnosna

er, no. Way to dumb it down to absurdity though. kudos

just saying they go overboard. To the point it seems strange to me, and makes me wonder about them a little
retracnosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 00:27   Link #83
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
just saying they go overboard. To the point it seems strange to me, and makes me wonder about them a little
It's called DRAMA. I mean, what's a story without the guy going through some hardships? Only difference is that this one kinda stabs him in the back...2 times over. But at least he knew about one of it prior. It'd be a lot worse if he didn't know the girl he liked liked Kiriya.

I don't particularly like Souma and Kiriya yet, but Souma's growing on me, especially after the 2nd half of Episode 3. I still think the show needs to at least give more hints on Xion/Zero though, and hopefully they'll do that in Episode 4. How did he become Dark Mk.II?

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 00:52   Link #84
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
watched episode 3

starting to think japanese writers are self loathers, or masochists or something

Spoiler:
I think you're looking at it the wrong way. It's a great way for character growth. If the character was likeable at least. Souma is probably gonna end up with his partner in the end. I don't agree with it, but hey I'm not the writers here. I hated Tenge Tenjou as well because of this particular part of the story. Didn't like the main guy, and hated how the main girl swooned over said loser. Souma needs to stand aside and let Xion/Zero or whatever his name, take over. OR at least let the emotionless doll(as Altima puts it), re-arrange his whole thought process.

I really don't like Souma at all, and hope to see Kiriya fleshed out some, as I think he'd make for a cooler main character. Too worn out of all the antsy hot-blooded kids who frequent anime these days. Must be me getting older. I can't relate with them at all(not that I really could when I was a teenager anyway). Cool & collected > Angry and dramatic.
Old 2007-04-26, 03:12   Link #85
retracnosna

you can put obstacles in a characters way without castrating him

start a character off as a eunuch and some people (like me) are going to tune him out

some shows get it right, I didn't think this one did but could be wrong because I wasn't all that into it to begin with
retracnosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 22:25   Link #86
Key Board
Carbon

episode 4 aired

in it, the first real links to Shining Tears

Spoiler:
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 10:57   Link #87
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Yay for Ryuna and Elwyn.

Still waiting for Neige though...
Old 2007-04-28, 13:04   Link #88
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I hated Tenge Tenjou as well because of this particular part of the story. Didn't like the main guy, and hated how the main girl swooned over said loser.
What he said. Tenjou Tenge was a pain in the ass because of this. A wannabe badass male lead with no skills to speak of and no redeeming qualities, only gaining attention because of some bloodline (or something like that, I'm shady on the details of the dragon summoning/hunting/whatever in that manga. TBH, couldn't care less.)

I pinned Kiriya for the main character in the beginning of episode one, and was surprised to see the POV shift to Souma quickly. He's self-centered, has a lousy sense of humor, jumps to conclusions quickly, and is hot-headed, which is probably why he is suffering now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I can't relate with them at all(not that I really could when I was a teenager anyway). Cool & collected > Angry and dramatic.
Which is why Kaze no Stigma is in my opinion a great pick this season, even though one blogger pinned it as "complaining over 4 months stale bread" Give me a male lead that can keep his wits about him any day...
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 15:07   Link #89
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
What he said. Tenjou Tenge was a pain in the ass because of this. A wannabe badass male lead with no skills to speak of and no redeeming qualities, only gaining attention because of some bloodline (or something like that, I'm shady on the details of the dragon summoning/hunting/whatever in that manga. TBH, couldn't care less.)

I pinned Kiriya for the main character in the beginning of episode one, and was surprised to see the POV shift to Souma quickly. He's self-centered, has a lousy sense of humor, jumps to conclusions quickly, and is hot-headed, which is probably why he is suffering now.

Which is why Kaze no Stigma is in my opinion a great pick this season, even though one blogger pinned it as "complaining over 4 months stale bread" Give me a male lead that can keep his wits about him any day...
You must be my twin. So hard to find people who think the way I do on characters.

I'm about 1 episode shy of dropping this series. Something I never do. If I make it to 3 episodes, I usually stick with it. I can't blame it all on Souma. The whole series is lackluster IMO. But I'll give it 1 more episdoe.
Old 2007-04-28, 15:11   Link #90
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

I love everything about this series!

The seiyuus are great! The storyline holds a lot of potential. Who cares about the game? As long as the anime is good, that's what matters.

Am I the only Souma fan here?

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 15:40   Link #91
Tiberium Wolf

Does anyone knows a blog that has screenshots of ep 4? Preferably a blog that does it before the fansubs comes out.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 17:35   Link #92
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

http://blog.xuite.net/rookierookie/moe/11308128

In cantonese.
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 18:32   Link #93
Kaka
罪人クロノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Princess View Post
well it's not really cantonese
since any chinese speakers can read it

LOL@ most of the comments XD
the comments on the ring part and the part where Triheart pulled out a shinken from the guy made me laugh so hard XDDDDDDD
Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 18:35   Link #94
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Spoiler:
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 19:22   Link #95
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I am calling it now. Kiriya will die and this will turn into a harem for Souma.

Really though, Kiriya seems like a killable character in my opinion.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 19:38   Link #96
KBTKaiser

so...which shinken have we seen so far?

(Kureha)
(Shiina)

Excellion(Zekuti)
Balmung((Jiido)

Seiryuuken(Ryuna)

I think that's all of them so far?
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 21:01   Link #97
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Good! Then I won't be reading anything. I Won't be spoiling myself like in other english blogs.

Wow! At the of those screenshot it had an relationship chart I think. Does anyone know 1 in english ?
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 21:12   Link #98
Strike-Zero

Kiriya isn't gonna die anytime soon because he's the main character in the game. It seems that in the game you play through Kiriya's POV, while the anime makes it Souma's POV to make things different and let fans see both sides of the story. Personally I'm a Souma fan and like his hot-bloodedness and love the Shining series and this anime.
Strike-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 21:22   Link #99
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Well I did not say right off the bat. I think one of the main four will.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 07:28   Link #100
Celes
Wanderer and oddball

I haven't played any game in the Shining series, therefore...

Spoiler for Episode 4: