AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-11-13, 07:25   Link #1
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Battle: Los Angeles

Aliens invade Los Angeles and it's up to the MARINES to stop them.

After the cluster fuck that was Terminator Salvation, and the not really a clusterfuck but not really focused on war Dances with Smurfs, it's good to see a sci-fi war movie.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 07:46   Link #2
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

While there have been many movies featuring the (US) military vs aliens, this is probably one of the few, if not the first in my experience that totally looks at the grunt angle of the battle on the ground-pounding frontlines. And this time it's US Marines vs aliens, not Space Marines

Totally on my list of must-see movies next year.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 07:55   Link #3
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Therer are so much movies like that these days , not that i'm complaining , on the contrary i like those kind of movies ! Apocalyspe now
The trailer looks awesome with the bgm.
So it doesn't only happens in Los Angeles but the movie will focus there.
My first opinion was : Terminator Alien?
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 09:10   Link #4
sa547
*Author

I'm sold on this one. This one's far grittier than Independence Day, and just possibly as terrifying as Aliens.
Old 2010-11-13, 12:44   Link #5
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

...Oh, yeah. I might actually go and watch this one...and that's coming from someone who seldom goes to the theaters nowadays.
BTW, were those biomechanical aliens? That's a welcome change from all those extraterrestrials going commando in our (potentially) biologically hostile world...the humanoid design kind of reminds me of Crysis 2 (vaguely, I must amend), truth be said.

...Strangely, I am not really surprised to see Michelle Rodriguez in this film. XD
Old 2010-11-13, 14:52   Link #6
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Looks interesting.

The main thing all these "Aliens invade earth!" movies miss, is that they can simply drop rocks from the sky and destroy all of Earth's infrastructure. They don't need to land or even come into our atmosphere, until everything is rubble. Of course, that's assuming they don't have better weapons they could use from orbit.

So the meteor parts in the trailer look decent enough.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 15:33   Link #7
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
The main thing all these "Aliens invade earth!" movies miss, is that they can simply drop rocks from the sky and destroy all of Earth's infrastructure. They don't need to land or even come into our atmosphere, until everything is rubble. Of course, that's assuming they don't have better weapons they could use from orbit.
...Provided they don't care about the landscape, the resources therein or human infrastructure (for future study, out of mere curiosity). One also needs to consider whether they have WMDs along with them if they're a migrating species or just wish to conquer Humanity's homeworld to assert their superiority in the galaxy - and how powerful it is. They might actually be reluctant to irradiate or sterilize the place they intend to live in...

Anyway, we'll have to wait for the movie to see how exactly they're carrying out the assault, if they did something preemptive (like zapping out all comm. satellites out of orbit) to destabilize our civilization or if they are just content with their rendition of the D-Day landing, preceded by Shock & Awe-type surgical air strikes to prepare the terrain.
Old 2010-11-13, 15:50   Link #8
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Carefully optimistic. As usual I love the concept, but it usually devolves into "OMG VISUALS! POPCORN BLOCKBUSTER" like most Hollywood action/military/apoc movies. Not that it's a bad thing, but... Yea. If user reviews gets better than Skyline, I'm in.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 16:08   Link #9
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
...Provided they don't care about the landscape, the resources therein or human infrastructure (for future study, out of mere curiosity). One also needs to consider whether they have WMDs along with them if they're a migrating species or just wish to conquer Humanity's homeworld to assert their superiority in the galaxy - and how powerful it is. They might actually be reluctant to irradiate or sterilize the place they intend to live in...
Tactical colony drops don't produce radiation.

And you're not really preserving the local infer structure much better after having thousands of ground troops fighting over it with heavy weapons.
Old 2010-11-13, 16:40   Link #10
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I've been waiting for this trailer for a LONG LONG time. Needless to say I'm impressed and pumped up.

Can't wait to see it.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 17:10   Link #11
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Tactical colony drops don't produce radiation.

And you're not really preserving the local infer structure much better after having thousands of ground troops fighting over it with heavy weapons.
Depends on what kind of weaponry they're using - for my previous argument, I wasn't exactly thinking about humongous "rods from god" but alternatives like hypothetical beam weapons (think Halo-style planet glassing) or nuclear warheads (or something that could produce particle burst or toxic fallouts upon use - and therefore contaminate the environment on a scale large enough to make you wonder whether the end result justified the means).

I wonder...what's bound to create more destruction and damage the said infrastructure - a massive colony drop whose impact and surface shockwaves can make everything collapse or turn to shrapnel in a wide radius...or the use of ground troops that can actually clear buildings in a relatively meticulous fashion? We don't even know if they have anything as big to throw at us (a nearby asteroid towed towards Earth's immediate vicinity for this very purpose) or if they can afford using one of their own space vessels for the orbital bombardment.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2010-11-13 at 17:26.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 17:12   Link #12
LMF

Worth watching.
LMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 18:41   Link #13
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
I wonder...what's bound to create more destruction and damage the said infrastructure - a massive colony drop whose impact and surface shockwaves can make everything collapse or turn to shrapnel in a wide radius...or the use of ground troops that can actually clear buildings in a relatively meticulous fashion?
Won't be as bad as a colony drop, but if your ground troops run into any serious and dug in opposition, the objective of keep the city relatively intact pretty much goes right out the window.

Most militaries don't deal with heavily fortified hostile buildings by sending infantry into it to clear it room to room. Their usual response if they know it's heavily fortified is to blast it to hell with artillery and air strikes in coordination and support of infantry attacks. Those infantry assault troops will often use indiscriminate weapons themselves, like rockets and demolition charges.

Pretty soon that city you wanted intact isn't looking to hot.

But what the hell. This movie looks awesome.
Old 2010-11-13, 18:57   Link #14
GundamFan0083

I heard about this film awhile back.
Looks really good.

Supposedly it is loosely based on actual events (though not an alien invasion) of the 1942 Battle of Los Angeles.

BTW, thank you for the trailer Roger Rambo it is much appreciated.
Old 2010-11-13, 19:10   Link #15
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
I heard about this film awhile back.
Looks really good.

Supposedly it is loosely based on actual events (though not an alien invasion) of the 1942 Battle of Los Angeles.

BTW, thank you for the trailer Roger Rambo it is much appreciated.
I think the film was announced back in early 2008, and the trailer is barely released today.

Talk about a long wait eh?
Old 2010-11-13, 19:18   Link #16
GundamFan0083

No kidding, but by the looks of the trailer it may have been well worth it.
Old 2010-11-13, 20:57   Link #17
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

So I paused the trailer at 1:47, and got a nice glimpse of invaders themselves. They kinda look like a machine wrapped up in flesh, techno organic if you will.
Old 2010-11-14, 11:39   Link #18
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:

Anyway, we'll have to wait for the movie to see how exactly they're carrying out the assault, if they did something preemptive (like zapping out all comm. satellites out of orbit) to destabilize our civilization or if they are just content with their rendition of the D-Day landing, preceded by Shock & Awe-type surgical air strikes to prepare the terrain.
It all depends on what aliens want Earth for.

Raw resources - we have quite a few, but nothing that can't be gained elsewhere. Hell, mining the asteroid belt would provide more. Dropping rocks on Earth is a nice way to reduce the human population and render it not a threat, thus allowing access to our resources.

Water - We have plenty, but again, you can get water elsewhere

A place to live - One of the more viable reasons for aliens invading, although that would mean the aliens are similar to us biologically speaking, which are fairly long odds. Dropping rocks gets most of the humans out of the way, and you can build up your infrastructure mostly unopposed then.

Food - Assuming they want to munch on our flora and fauna (and possibly us), dropping rocks wouldn't be too great an idea, but you could still land a few on the major threat areas, and leave plenty of wildlife and humans around. Humanity can also breed like rabbits, so we'll populate once again, providing a steady food supply.

Assholes - we got unlucky and the aliens are just douchebags, killing us off for fun, and to make sure we never grow up to be an intergalactic threat. Actually probably the most plausible reason for alien invasion. It's often been speculated that an alien species might decide to just wipe out other intelligent life so they'd be the only game in town; thus acting pretty much like gods.

In most cases, aliens can get what they need elsewhere; Earth provides very little, other than real estate and perhaps food. But it's fairly long odds of a species being close enough to us that would need either of those things.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-16, 19:11   Link #19
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Neat interactive map.

Assuming those are alien landing zones...we're pretty screwed.
Old 2010-11-16, 22:02   Link #20
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I'll catch it in theaters. Looks decent enough.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie, movies