AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-05-20, 19:24   Link #1
Lost World
Banned

NARUTO in Newtype USA: An original character?!

Hey guys,

I highly recommend everyone pick up Newtype USA if you can this month. There's an article about Studio Pierrot (The creators of Naruto) and they devote about a passage to discussing the show itself. Real interesting stuff, but what I found most intriguing was this comment by the show's director, Hayato Date:

"[We've] burned through all of the manga to a certain extent...I was thinking we'd make Naruto a bit cheerier than it has been up until now..."

"Date suggested adding a few of their own episodes...He's contemplating introducing a new character based on Mori no Ishimatsu - A real historical figure who lived at the end of the Edo era. The character would be one who 'loved wine and women, was quick to fight and lose his temper"

"The show hasn't had a character like that yet, so I thought it'd be fun if a character like that got mixed up with Naruto somehow"

"The new character is tentatively slated to debut on TV after the theatrical release - a stand-alone story helmed by Tensai Okamura"

Yup, so it looks like a few standalone episodes (possibly arcs) are coming up around August. and the movie is a standalone. Pretty obvious stuff, but I know there were a few on this forum who refused to believe it. Original characters-- That I didn't count on though.
Lost World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 19:28   Link #2
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
It's not surprising. They might reach the point where the anime has caught up with the manga in terms of storyline.

At least it shows they have the initiative to develope new content - and he is right, Naruto will be getting fairly depressing if it continues on with only the manga storyline.
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 19:28   Link #3
Gai-Kakashi

Cool, sounds good. Could he possibly be another Samurai character? That'd be cool.
Gai-Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 19:51   Link #4
Avi
HeNta| ArmY WinG-Comman.

Send a message via MSN to Avi Send a message via Yahoo to Avi
hehe nice, i shall be gettin the Newtype this month then
Avi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 19:55   Link #5
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasuke Uchiha
The character would be one who 'loved wine and women, was quick to fight and lose his temper"
But isn't Jiraiya almost like that? Well, not the quick to loser temper part...but meh.
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 19:56   Link #6
SåßrêStrïké

Send a message via AIM to SåßrêStrïké
I think it's a bad idea. Already there are too few animes that closely follow the manga... Naruto is one of them. I think it's survived this long because it hasn't deviated too much from the manga, aside from the special and the upcoming movie. Personally, I think they should just keep it like it is. Otherwise, we may see Naruto go the way of GTO, where the anime stops but the manga keeps going. I'm seeing Naruto finally wind down in the late 300s if they stick to being faithful to the manga.
SåßrêStrïké is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 20:00   Link #7
Kouji
StrykerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasuke Uchiha
Hey guys,

I highly recommend everyone pick up Newtype USA if you can this month. There's an article about Studio Pierrot (The creators of Naruto) and they devote about a passage to discussing the show itself. Real interesting stuff, but what I found most intriguing was this comment by the show's director, Hayato Date:

"[We've] burned through all of the manga to a certain extent...I was thinking we'd make Naruto a bit cheerier than it has been up until now..."

"Date suggested adding a few of their own episodes...He's contemplating introducing a new character based on Mori no Ishimatsu - A real historical figure who lived at the end of the Edo era. The character would be one who 'loved wine and women, was quick to fight and lose his temper"

"The show hasn't had a character like that yet, so I thought it'd be fun if a character like that got mixed up with Naruto somehow"

"The new character is tentatively slated to debut on TV after the theatrical release - a stand-alone story helmed by Tensai Okamura"

Yup, so it looks like a few standalone episodes (possibly arcs) are coming up around August. and the movie is a standalone. Pretty obvious stuff, but I know there were a few on this forum who refused to believe it. Original characters-- That I didn't count on though.
Sounds interesting, I may just have to check it out. =^_^=
Old 2004-05-20, 20:01   Link #8
ubdevoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasteak
But isn't Jiraiya almost like that? Well, not the quick to loser temper part...but meh.
Hehe, I was thinking the same thing when I read they where introducing a new character.

I think it is gonna be interesting how they break the story up though, the manga readers know what's coming up and it all seems to happen pretty quickly with no real gap for another adventure. But I've always though Naruto is at its best when its happy, so more power to them, I'm looking forward to it.
ubdevoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 20:07   Link #9
LeafNinja

Wow, well there is our filler arc then, which would coincide with when the search for Tsunade arc ends around.

Which months issue is that, May? Or is June out?

Last edited by LeafNinja; 2004-05-20 at 20:24.
LeafNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 20:24   Link #10
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Well, it's rather interesting to know we'll have a filler arc soon, probably after Tsunade arc. It can be a total mess that may contradict the story; an useless junk (like the One Piece Sennryuu arc); or a somewhat good arc. We'll have to wait and see.

At least it's good to know a very good director such as Tensai Okamura is involved in this project. He's responsible for, among some anime; Wolf's Rain and the 2nd Memories short (Stink Bomb). But he's also responsible for Medabots... but that was a long time ago, huh?

Now, Mori no Ishimatsu... I searched Google for it, and I found out that it's a movie. I'm not sure if it was based on a real historical figure (but I don't think so). If so, he lived in the end of the Edo era; that was the Bakumatsu in the 19th Century, during the Meiji Revolution, that opened paths to the end of the Shogunate and the return of the Emperor.
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 20:41   Link #11
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

I don't see the NEED to add a character. Seeing as Naruto himself is quick to fight and then there is super pervert sennin Jiraiya

So does why would it be necessary to mess with it?
I see so many different acrs that could be done instead....
stories on:
other villiages
other nins
other clans
history of the great war
how Kakashi got his eye (but the suspence is great also)

as much as I liked the cute little flying dragons in One Piece, I think it would drive most Naruto fans nuts to have to WAIT for say the
Spoiler:
in the manga.

bleh... but I'm a lousy writer also.... Personally I rather see more other stories than just a made up dude who is not even in the manga.
pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 20:43   Link #12
Lost World
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafNinja
Wow, well there is our filler arc then, which would coincide with when the search for Tsunade arc ends around.

Which months issue is that, May? Or is June out?
June. I just picked it up today, since I heard Pierrot had an article this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathyfinder
other villiages
other nins
other clans
history of the great war
how Kakashi got his eye (but the suspence is great also)
You are aware that any of these stories could possibly contradict later manga chapters that Kichimoto has yet to write, right? ESPECIALLY the History of the Great War and Kakashi's Sharingan History, both of which will almost certainly be explained by in the manga later.
Old 2004-05-20, 20:55   Link #13
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
I don't really care about divergences if the resultant story is done well and coherently.

Neverthless, they should approach Kishimoto and put their heads together to think about this new content. It is his creation after all.

As for person in charge of creating this... Wolf's Rain? Gah... somehow, I'm going to prepare for the worst now...
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 20:55   Link #14
LeafNinja

Thanks! I think I'll stop by Barnes and Noble after work to see if they have that for sale yet.
LeafNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-20, 21:13   Link #15
Kouji
StrykerX

Would this be the June or May issue that your talking about?

EDIT
Forget the post
Old 2004-05-20, 21:14   Link #16
Dragon Flame
Wet Kimimaro Love

Send a message via ICQ to Dragon Flame
you even read the posts in this thread? look 3 posts up from yours...
Old 2004-05-20, 21:20   Link #17
Kouji
StrykerX

Well that's great then. Though, unfortunately I'd have to wait till June to pick it up. Seeing as I don't suscribe to NT USA
Old 2004-05-20, 21:23   Link #18
Lost World
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouji
Well that's great then. Though, unfortunately I'd have to wait till June to pick it up. Seeing as I don't suscribe to NT USA
Because clearly by saying "I went to pick it up because it had a Pierrot article in it" means I must subscribe to it...
Old 2004-05-20, 21:30   Link #19
eLstar
(^_^)v

Well, some of you may be opposed to the idea but I kind of look forward to it. As The Sempai said, it will either rise up or crash and burn. Hopefully, it will be for the best, as long as none fo the major storylines are altered not for the better.
eLstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-21, 00:39   Link #20
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
At least it's good to know a very good director such as Tensai Okamura is involved in this project. He's responsible for, among some anime; Wolf's Rain and the 2nd Memories short (Stink Bomb). But he's also responsible for Medabots... but that was a long time ago, huh?
I liked Medabots! Its actually really funny. They make fun of sentai superheros, Pokemon, robot servant stereotypes, Crayon Shin-chan, etc. Its hilarious! The villains look like they're wearing giant condoms (and the series knows it and doesn't take them seriously). Wolf's Rain....I wanted to like it but I couldn't stand the characters or the lack of cohesive plot.

I guess, overall those two cancel out but Stink Bomb was awesome so Tensai Okamura is cool again.

Back to Naruto:

Uh new character? I don't know if I like filler arcs...
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote