AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-29, 18:04   Link #1761
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Wait! Wait a sec.

Where was it actually told that the 900 tons of explosive come from kaiten's warheads? I don't think it was specified. All that I remember is Bern saying that since that was a military base then there were explosives.

If I missed a sentence that clearly specifies the 900 tons of explosive come from torpedo's warheads, please quote it.

Quote:
So you're saying the explosives do not come from WW2 in short, if I get this right?
Is it possible to uuh gather 900 tons of explosives from the black market, even given 30 years? Also I guess it should've been a lot less then 30 years if Kinzo's "madness device" meant to work properly.
I'm not saying that, I'm merely saying that the explosive can't possibly come from missile warheads. I think you can speculate that the military base still had some huge amount of TNT for whatever reason.

But frankly I'm not sure what's more ridiculous: that the japanese military just forgot about 900 tons of explosives and carelessly left them in Kinzo's hands. Or that Kinzo managed to pile up such ridiculous amount of explosives from the black market.

Old 2010-11-29, 18:49   Link #1762
Darkpierrot
The Clown from the abyss

Excuse me if this have been disccused before but can anyone tell me please what happened Exactly between Kyrie and Eva?
Old 2010-11-29, 19:14   Link #1763
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
A big ol' gunfight.
Old 2010-11-29, 19:21   Link #1764
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

The base may have had explosives for construction, but I would question whether it had 900 tons of them. If there's caverns under the destroyed area you could certainly make due with less (by just collapsing it), but the story seems to suggest that much exists.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Old 2010-11-29, 19:30   Link #1765
Darkpierrot
The Clown from the abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
A big ol' gunfight.
I know that, but I was talking about their conversation, Sorry if it sounded rude...
Old 2010-11-29, 21:07   Link #1766
TehChron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
It's still theoretically possible if she has the trigger and never touches the munitions, but that would make the shrine story a lie or fabrication.
Why not make it into a fantasy?

Like Gaap/Beatrice being responsible for the crap going missing, Yasu fantasized herself as having blown up the shrine with explosives to convince herself she's some great demolitions expert.
Old 2010-11-29, 21:33   Link #1767
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

I can see it now. "I totally tested out my awesome explosives. Now to rig this up so I heroically blow up the culprit and leaves everyone else totally and totally unhar-" BOOM. And none were left alive.
Old 2010-11-29, 21:38   Link #1768
TehChron

Quote:
I can see it now. "I totally tested out my awesome explosives. Now to rig this up so I heroically blow up the culprit and leaves everyone else totally and totally unhar-" BOOM. And none were left alive.
Pretty much.

And Battler's sin wasn't that he made that promise.

His sin was for asking Yasu how the bomb actually worked. When she tried to show him, she set it off, thus killing everyone. Had Battler not asked, then the bomb would have gone off after everyone was at the minimum safe distance.

This actually fucking works.
Old 2010-11-29, 21:43   Link #1769
Cao Ni Ma

In this light...Shkontrice isn't capable of being the mastermind culprit
Old 2010-11-29, 21:46   Link #1770
TehChron

Pretty much.
Old 2010-11-29, 21:53   Link #1771
Cao Ni Ma

I would love to see the series of murders being actually caused by a bumbling ditz though, wanting to help people but getting them killed in the process.
Old 2010-11-29, 21:56   Link #1772
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

"Oh god, I have to go tell Eva and Hideyoshi about what happened! Open the Door! Oh my god, hurry, open the door!" Trip. Spring trap she set up for another hypothetical culprit. "Oh goddammit!"
Old 2010-11-30, 03:19   Link #1773
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
The base may have had explosives for construction, but I would question whether it had 900 tons of them. If there's caverns under the destroyed area you could certainly make due with less (by just collapsing it), but the story seems to suggest that much exists.
Bern's questionable story suggests that much exists.

Old 2010-11-30, 09:52   Link #1774
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Is 900 tons necessarily the mass of the explosives? IIUC, explosives are frequently described by the mass of the equivalent amount of TNT.
Old 2010-11-30, 10:29   Link #1775
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
"Oh god, I have to go tell Eva and Hideyoshi about what happened! Open the Door! Oh my god, hurry, open the door!" Trip. Spring trap she set up for another hypothetical culprit. "Oh goddammit!"
I know for a fact that ep2, ep3, and ep7 can all be explained entirely with accidents (if you disregard red in some cases, of course). I'm sure if we tried hard enough every single one could be so explained.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Bern's questionable story suggests that much exists.
Yes, well, I wasn't going to be the one to say it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
Is 900 tons necessarily the mass of the explosives? IIUC, explosives are frequently described by the mass of the equivalent amount of TNT.
Yes, but that's also how the explosives are described. The question isn't the mass of the explosives themselves (i.e. are there 900t worth of torpedos or just 900t of TNT sticks), but the amount of explosives you would need to have a blast of that size. The candidates right now are military torpedos (which are large, but it's historically improbable that so many of those torpedos would exist in one place) or construction explosives (which would most likely just be TNT). The latter would require a huge number of explosives, more than seems reasonable for construction of a small military outpost that already has a natural cave system to work with.

Basically, either that's some kinda bunk, or there was much more going on at Rokkenjima than Kinzo said in ep7. If they were building something else, then I could see needing 900t of blasting explosives.

Or if the explosives were explicitly present to destroy whatever was there...

Old 2010-11-30, 12:02   Link #1776
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

The problem is that the 900t worth of explosives are enough to blow up half of the island. There isn't any kind of construction in such a limited space that would realistically need such a huge amount of TNT.

A more realistic theory would involve thinking that the secret base became a TNT storage for some unknown reasons.

Old 2010-11-30, 12:33   Link #1777
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

If they were building something absolutely huge, or engaging in some major construction projects, or had a secret vault or something designed to be destroyed if discovered, then yes I could see 900t of explosives. Otherwise we're stuck with what Jan-Poo said, "they just decided to store a bunch of explosives there." Which is rather silly. A remote island is the last place you want to store something as generic as explosives, especially when the only means of getting them in or out would be small boats or submarines (neither of which are known for their cargo capacity).

Old 2010-11-30, 14:06   Link #1778
legomaple

well, my worries about which to play/read has been solved... super meat boy isn't released yet(somehow?), so I've been reading some Umineko.
Spoiler for Episode 7 partial patch 2:
Old 2010-11-30, 14:14   Link #1779
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Yasu can't count explosives, obviously.
Old 2010-12-01, 04:45   Link #1780
guro
I like ice cream.

Everything I thought has been confirmed so far. This is quite awesome.

Spoiler for Episode 7, first half:

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-12-01 at 05:27. Reason: spoiler tag title added
Closed Thread