AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-04-02, 19:06   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei LN - Anime Comparison & Speculation

This is a thread for Mahouka Anime Comparison & Speculation. As you watch the anime, please post any thoughts you have from a novel-reader's perspective in this thread, and do not risk spoiling anything in the anime thread. Posting any sort of hint, spoiler, or novel-inspired speculation in the anime thread is grounds for an immediate ban. We will be enforcing this strictly. So, use this thread instead.

As this is a source material thread, it is expected that you should be reasonably caught up to the latest source material when participating. However, if spoiling major plot points that others may not yet have read, please be considerate and use properly-labelled spoiler tags that indicate to the reader whether it's safe to open the tag. Spoiler tags with no label are not allowed!

Please stay on-topic.
  • No shipping talk
  • No pointless chatter
  • No posting raws or source illustrations
  • No posting translations of the source itself
  • No asking about when translations will be done
  • No posts only to update people about translation status (or to just say that something's "out")
  • No posts only to thank translators (please us PM or VM instead)

If you want to discuss a related topic, please feel free to request another thread be created about that topic.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 11:21   Link #2
Ultragunner

Guess I'll be the first one then

Just finished the 1st episode D. Though some details have been cut out (nothing serious) and the pace feels a bit fast (maybe due to I read this LN quite slowly ), I have to say they did a good job .

Love the action sequence , but I wish it would be a bit longer (hey hey, anyone would enjoy a manly fist battle in a magic world, eh? ).

The ed looks cool enough, but I don't think it's a good idea to put some spoilers in there (just like how they did it in the OP of Log Horizon), not really a wise move IMO.
Old 2014-04-05, 11:48   Link #3
guestuser

where did u watch it
guestuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 11:54   Link #4
Ultragunner

There is a live streaming of the channel airing in Japan, but I don't think we can post it here
Old 2014-04-05, 12:35   Link #5
Guest2

Its truly fast paced and somewhat disjointed when they remove so much of Tatsuya's monologues and explanations, but seeing it animated was great!

Kinda sad to see Juumonji just barely squeezed into the opening but Mikihiko was made to look pretty bad ass.

Last edited by Guest2; 2014-04-05 at 12:52.
Guest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 12:47   Link #6
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

loaded up crunchyroll, it says that the simulcast will start in 13 mins
Old 2014-04-05, 13:06   Link #7
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest2 View Post
Its truly fast paced and somewhat disjointed when they remove so much of Tatsuya's monologues and explanations, but seeing it animated was great!

Kinda sad to see Juumonji just barely squeezed into the opening but Mikihiko was made to look pretty bad ass.
Well I like what they did here. They just let the animation do most of the talking for them, and I think this first episode effectively set up all the awesome stuff that comes later. The general viewer wouldn't really want to hear about all the mechanics and are mostly content just to see something cool.

As for monologues, as long we get to dive into the darker aspects of Tatsuya's character, I'll probably be content.
Lucarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 13:11   Link #8
BW95
Banned

Everyone note some of the differences in the anime. In the flashback where little Tatsuya used Material Burst, he used a gesture of a finger gun unlike opening his hand in the novel. Also, note how the producers chose to show Honoka trying to stop the other students from using magic, which was only shown in the Yuutousei manga.
BW95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 13:16   Link #9
pampz21
ShipCore

For a anime only view; alot were probably at lost. No explanation was giving any sort and just move on to the story. But still quite intriging for a LN reader.

For the OP; it barely show Tatsuya's OPness so it was OK; Alot of anime viewer only is probably wondering why theres already a "kissing scene" but rather it was a "breaking seal" (wassup it rhymed)
Shows how powerful Jummonji and badass Miki is. Btw you can really feel their character by their expression. Took attention for Leo, it looks to me that he was running away from something.(which to LN reader probably know what kind of thing is he running away from) and Tatsuya spending time in an empty room; which made the impression that he normally doesnt sleep much only monitoring Miyuki even at night. Miyuki being Miyuki try to look beautiful even tho it looks like she is thinking about something serious. And Lastly for Erika in a dojo alone(again for LN readers it is easy to figure it out)

Kudos to Ishida-san for try to elaborate about the expressions. The scene where Leo and Erika was arguing is something I expect especially Erika; you can clearly see a girl 100% making fun of a person

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

pampz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 13:18   Link #10
BW95
Banned

In any case, this episode clearly demonstrates MADHOUSE at its finest.
Old 2014-04-05, 13:20   Link #11
larethian

Most of the important stuff are actually there. Anime viewers are supposed to watch/hear between the lines and think for themselves. I have no complaints for the composition of episode 1. Except the Taijutsu scenes seemed average to me. The magic activation animations on the other hand were just wow.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 13:21   Link #12
Guest2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW95 View Post
Everyone note some of the differences in the anime. In the flashback where little Tatsuya used Material Burst, he used a gesture of a finger gun unlike opening his hand in the novel. Also, note how the producers chose to show Honoka trying to stop the other students from using magic, which was only shown in the Yuutousei manga.
No the anime is the same in that case. It was pretty cool. And in Honoka's case it makes sense since the blinding magic she was going to use would have had no real effect on Tatsuya's group and more effect against Morisaki's group, since they were the aggressors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucarion View Post
Well I like what they did here. They just let the animation do most of the talking for them, and I think this first episode effectively set up all the awesome stuff that comes later. The general viewer wouldn't really want to hear about all the mechanics and are mostly content just to see something cool.

As for monologues, as long we get to dive into the darker aspects of Tatsuya's character, I'll probably be content.
No I mean the monologues relating to his comments about Mizuki, Erika and Mayumi. In the anime he expresses surprise or caution for each person, but the viewer has no idea why without Tatsuya's monologues. They did include all his shorter monologues.
Guest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 13:26   Link #13
pampz21
ShipCore

Quote:
No I mean the monologues relating to his comments about Mizuki, Erika and Mayumi. In the anime expresses surprise or caution for each but the viewer has no idea why.
Tatsuya barely had any monolouge where in the novel most things he do is doing monolouges. Which is what I pointed out that having less info dump is bad, and having more is bad too....it clearly shows the disadvantage of the LN compressing info dumps in the anime.

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

pampz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 13:28   Link #14
Ultragunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW95 View Post
Actually, right before the screen switches to the blast, we can see Tatsuya opens his palm (the one he just posed as a handgun ). In the LN, he moved the hand to the side then opened it, but oh well, at least it's not some Yu Yu Hakusho's rip off
Old 2014-04-05, 13:29   Link #15
BW95
Banned

Quote:
No the anime is the same in that case. It was pretty cool. And in Honoka's case it makes sense since the blinding magic she was going to use would have had no real effect on Tatsuya's group and more effect against Morisaki's group, since they were the aggressors.

No I mean the monologues relating to his comments about Mizuki, Erika and Mayumi. In the anime he expresses surprise or caution for each person, but the viewer has no idea why without Tatsuya's monologues. They did include all his shorter monologues.
In the anime, Tatsuya used a finger gun, but in the novel he just unclenched his fist.
Old 2014-04-05, 13:50   Link #16
anonfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampz21 View Post
Tatsuya barely had any monolouge where in the novel most things he do is doing monolouges. Which is what I pointed out that having less info dump is bad, and having more is bad too....it clearly shows the disadvantage of the LN compressing info dumps in the anime.
I kind of always figured the anime would moreso follow the format of the manga than the Light novel.

In the manga it's mostly event focused, with a few explanations here and there. Like everytime Tatsuya does something special it stops to complain it, but it doesn't really go as deepy as the Light Novel does.

That's more or less how I see the anime going. If it spends a lot of time doing narrated info dumps it could take up half an episode, cutting out a lot of the info dumps effectively makes the Novels shorter, meaning the Anime can cover more content by compressing them.

If they find a right balance between the 2 it could be alright.
anonfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 14:20   Link #17
Meltyred

They could fit in the CAD info dump into next episode's events, because a certain someone would be perfect for pointing out CADs....
Though the lack of showing the treatment of Course 2 students was a little jarring, mainly confusing people that would be wondering why the class was surprised that a teacher walked into the class.
Meltyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 14:32   Link #18
Echizen777

Would have liked more Tatsuya's monologues but it's pretty good so far and they are doing his character right. Production values are good, I hope they won't skip memorable scenes that I want to see animated.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 14:32   Link #19
Galacticichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
In the LN, he moved the hand to the side then opened it, but oh well, at least it's not some Yu Yu Hakusho's rip off
Lol that would've been hilarious. Now I kinda want Tatsuya to get his Trident taken away and fire spirit guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonfr View Post
I kind of always figured the anime would moreso follow the format of the manga than the Light novel.

In the manga it's mostly event focused, with a few explanations here and there. Like everytime Tatsuya does something special it stops to complain it, but it doesn't really go as deepy as the Light Novel does.

That's more or less how I see the anime going. If it spends a lot of time doing narrated info dumps it could take up half an episode, cutting out a lot of the info dumps effectively makes the Novels shorter, meaning the Anime can cover more content by compressing them.

If they find a right balance between the 2 it could be alright.
It's all about the balance! This whole episode felt surreal since I only started the LN last month but it was fun. Episode 2 and on is what matters I believe; since they are trying to set the tone with this one I won't really bash it.
Galacticichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 14:36   Link #20
Rasen

Animation-wise, this is what I expected of Madhouse. Think I'll just delete Mahou Sensou from my memory.

That being said, I'm not sure how I felt about them seeming to indicate Tatsuya running using personal acceleration magic. Wasn't he supposed to be able to run that fast through purely physical skills?

Also, a little surprised Tatsuya seemed so willing to step in with magic during the argument at the end.

Character-design wise, I think they made Morisaki and Hattori look too young.
Rasen is offline   Reply With Quote