AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-06-27, 10:31   Link #1
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Run Vista-only titles on XP

I expected to see someone else post this, but since it hasn't shown up, I'll post it:
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=6146&Itemid=2

"Hacking group warez has released a patch allowing gamers to run Halo 2 and Shadowrun, both released by Microsoft as Windows Vista-only titles, on the firm’s older Windows XP operating system."

There's also a Slashdot discussion of this article.

We don't play PC games, so it doesn't matter here. Thought some of the rest of you would like to see this, though.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 10:53   Link #2
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

So, are these hacks applied to the game or to the OS (so that xp apears as vista)?
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 11:30   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

In the case of Falling Leaf Systems, they appear to be releasing compatibilty libraries. DK about the "warez" versions, though I think the actual reference should be to Razor1911.

That's all I know about this; from here on, you're on your own
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-27, 15:50   Link #4
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Both of these games feature online right? Wouldn't it be funny if Microsoft pulls another stunt like banning all those mod'd 360's on these people? I'd certainly get a chuckle out of that.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-28, 13:38   Link #5
arcadeplayer987

Microsoft seems to enjoy this hack
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=1643&Itemid=1
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-29, 05:05   Link #6
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

The article doesn't say anything about what Microsoft thinks of this, actually. It only says
Quote:
Microsoft should be happy with this, since a lot of people will probably buy the game to run it on their XP systems.
The only new piece of information that I can see in this article is that Shadowrun doesn't require DirectX 10 at all.
Old 2007-06-29, 13:54   Link #7
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
The only new piece of information that I can see in this article is that Shadowrun doesn't require DirectX 10 at all.
There aren't any games out or coming out any time soon which would *require* DX10 (a few have some kind of optional support for it though.). And when they do come out we won't be seeing them running on XP.

Microsoft probably isn't particularly enjoying this hack. The only reason they're making games Vista only right now is to sell Vista, not because they'd have any great difficulty getting the games to work in XP as well.
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-29, 14:12   Link #8
arcadeplayer987

I agree but vista is selling well anyway
Old 2007-06-29, 15:26   Link #9
Tiberium Wolf

I have tested this hack and it works on halo 2. . I think I can forget vista.
Old 2007-06-29, 19:45   Link #10
Joe88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
I have tested this hack and it works on halo 2. . I think I can forget vista.
that is until ms starts releasing patches that will probably ban from running on xp
which means your gonna be limited to single player only
Joe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-30, 01:33   Link #11
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe88 View Post
that is until ms starts releasing patches that will probably ban from running on xp
which means your gonna be limited to single player only
It is limited to single player already. I think. Anyway I don't even have money to play for online gaming. Unemployed again.
Old 2007-07-05, 18:55   Link #12
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

I run Vista ... but god I hate MS sometimes ... this is ridiculous.

When a company says vista only I'd like that to mean that it CANNOT run on XP. F U mircrosoft.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-07, 11:16   Link #13
arcadeplayer987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander View Post

When a company says vista only I'd like that to mean that it CANNOT run on XP. F U mircrosoft.
But you cannot run games vista only on Xp.
The fact that someone hack the game and you can run it on Xp now is another story.
Old 2007-07-07, 18:38   Link #14
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I didn't read the link so I don't know exactly what this hack involves, but I think you're missing the point, arcadeplayer987, which is that there's an artificial restriction going on. The games are being used in a carrot-and-stick approach to get people to switch over to Vista. The games run perfectly fine in XP - there are no glitches or anything.

There was a similar act put up when Windows XP came out. I believe someone mentioned that Age of Empires did this. The person was using Windows 2000, and the game popped up a message saying that it needed Windows XP. However, when they installed the game using "network mode" the installer skipped the OS check, the game installed just fine, and it played just fine.

Artificial restrictions like that are a pretty dirty tactic, in my opinion.
Old 2007-07-07, 19:29   Link #15
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:

The best way to show your hate for MS is to stop using it altogether. Even piracy has a positive effect in the MS dominance of the market, so even if you use a bootleg copy of Windows, you're aiding the monopoly.

I got sick of MS a couple of months ago and switched to Linux. Ever since then, I've never looked back.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-08, 00:10   Link #16
Jo-Roll
// ## Bug 41686

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
The best way to show your hate for MS is to stop using it altogether. Even piracy has a positive effect in the MS dominance of the market, so even if you use a bootleg copy of Windows, you're aiding the monopoly.

I got sick of MS a couple of months ago and switched to Linux. Ever since then, I've never looked back.
I'm trying to go this route with my machines at home. I got a few of 'em with some windows only hardware (modems mostly) and they can't be converted over until a driver is written or I can replace the hardware (not likely any time soon...).
Jo-Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-09, 23:31   Link #17
Joe88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Roll View Post
I'm trying to go this route with my machines at home. I got a few of 'em with some windows only hardware (modems mostly) and they can't be converted over until a driver is written or I can replace the hardware (not likely any time soon...).
the only problem is gaming ...
Joe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-09, 23:56   Link #18
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
the only problem is gaming ...
That's what consoles are there for

Naw, seriously speaking, I've lost almost all interest of using the PC for gaming, mainly because putting up with today's gaming standards is too much of a hassle (and a pocket-burner). Besides, there aren't PC games out there that really grab my attention. With consoles, on the other hand, I am guaranteed that the game I want to play will work no matter what. And there are a lot of more interesting games that please my tastes more (mostly Japanese RPGs, which are almost nonexistent in the PC). The only gaming on the PC that may interest me is for the purpose of emulating old games, but every console has an emulator under Linux.

And besides, there's also the Wine project. It's not 100% effective for all games, but many of them run, and do it better on Windows.

Gaming under Linux is just a small decision on the part of the gaming industry... that is, to opt for open source software such as OpenGL instead of feeding the MS monopoly by investing in the proprietary DirectX.

Old 2007-07-10, 06:24   Link #19
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
The only gaming on the PC that may interest me is for the purpose of emulating old games, but every console has an emulator under Linux.
I remember someone saying a couple months ago that there's no decent Genesis/Mega Drive emulator for Linux.
Old 2007-07-10, 09:54   Link #20
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
I remember someone saying a couple months ago that there's no decent Genesis/Mega Drive emulator for Linux.
Then he lied miserably. Gens is a perfectly working open source Sega Genesis emulator, and it's multiplatform.