AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-10, 04:14   Link #1
Riria

Animes that meets my long list of requirements: Ver. 2

Oh my...I'm out of animes to watch again...I posted what I liked before but I don't want to revive an old thread, so here's a new topic, revised version of my requirements...hopefully a bit easier for you guys to find what I like.

Good luck people...

First of all, I like magic, mahou shojo or mahou shoune or even magical animals are fine. Examples will be Lyrical Nanoha, DNAngel, Matantei Loki, Mermaid Melody. Cool magical battles like Nanoha will be a bonus, but it's not necessary.

Second of all, romance, don't care if the main character is male or female. Romance is not necessary needed if the seires is good enough and strong with other requirements I have. No pure romance like Hatsuki(or however you spell it), and I'm not into those animes that came from renai games like Shuffle! and Canvas 2 cause that would fall under pure romance. Examples include Ginban Kaleidoscope, Matantei Loki, Spiral(a little too little in this one).

Third of all, relaxing, slice of life, cuteness, comedy, examples will be Bottle fairy(love those fairies) and Aria, Ginban Kaleidoscope.

Fourth of all, a good, deep plot, depressing is okay, with a strong theme too. Example will be SHinigami no Ballad. This is not absolutely necessary.

Fifth of all, if possible, over 13 epis...I'm tired of short animes...but this is not necessary.

Lastly...Good art style....

Not every series is required to have all of the requirements, list what you guys think fits me.

Here's a list of animes I like for your reference.

Absolutely a masterpiece! (In my eyes anyways)

Ouran host club (Absolute favorite right now)
Gakuen Alice
Cardcaptor Sakura
Meitantei Loki (though the ending sucked)
Bottle fairy (too cute for words)

Really loved it

Detective Conan
Tsubasa Chronicles
MS Lyrical Nanoha

Can't think of more now...

Currently watching:

Scrapped princess
Otoji-jushi Akazukin TV

Good luck....and thanks for the help!
Old 2006-08-10, 04:26   Link #2
nemoleo
Uruz-7

Except for the fourth point, I think that Ultra Maniac would correspond to what you want.
Old 2006-08-10, 04:48   Link #3
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riria
relaxing, slice of life, cuteness, comedy,
That sounds exactly like Ichigo Mashimaro. Not a deep series, but quite enjoyable. It's licensed by geneon, and I believe the second dvd was released recently. The third and final volume should be out soon. It's a bit short though

I'd also recommend Mahoraba. (see sig) Not a deep series, but a nice, light romantic comedy. 26 episodes I'm not sure if it's quite what your looking for though.

You could also try AIR if you want depressing. Also a bit short, but it's over 13 episodes, if one includes the recap and the AIR in Summer specials.

You also might want to take a look at Karin. 24 episodes

For something a bit less shounen, try Nana. Not the kind of series I like, but I thought it was well done from what little I've seen.
Old 2006-08-10, 04:54   Link #4
jedinat

Well, in your last thread I recommended Princess Tutu which seems to meet all your points... very well in fact . Dunno if you considered it.
edit: Ah, I see in a reply you were less than enthusiastic about it

I'll add Kamichu! which is a great anime. It's slice-of-life, cute, magical (godly powers ^^), nice art, and has a innocent little romance going on. Only thing it doesn't have is any deep ongoing plot, but it doesn't need one. Ah, and it's only 12 episodes, but that doesn't really matter either I think... (edit: actually there are 16 episodes if you count the specials, which are pretty much just regular episodes indistinguishable from the rest, if you watch them in the proper placement)

Last edited by jedinat; 2006-08-10 at 05:11.
Old 2006-08-10, 05:26   Link #5
wao
OK.

Have you tried Mai-Hime? It's licensed and out on DVD now but it fits #1, #2, #4 (at least according to most people!) and #5.

#1: No transformation but they get to call out magical animal-mecha thingies and things. Also includes a suspicious organisation. It's not a heck of a lot of magic (for that, watch Mai-Otome which is a sort of 'spin-off'/'alternate universe' sharing some same characters). Lots of cool attacks and weapons and abilities and things.

#2: There is romance. Not much to say here.

#4: Well, it counts as a deep plot here I guess. More like the intertwisting of various elements in the story and there are a lot of DRAMATIC TURNS!!! Pure joy, happy times, as well as angst and depression. Lots of angst and depression!

#5: it's 26 episodes long.

I'm not enthusiastic enough to go check out your previous posts and see whether you've tried it or not but give it a spin anyway.

EDIT: Okay I went to look and looks like you weren't too interested in it. Oops... what else is there, have you tried Gatekeepers? It's got a sort of magical theme because the characters can uncover a hidden power to open gates of energy with different elements... the main character can open a Wind Gate and things that he throws through it would gain a lot of velocity and so on. It's been a long time since I watched it so I can't remember the plot, but there was romance, I'm fairly sure of it. It's 26 episodes long...
Old 2006-08-10, 10:08   Link #6
miaka

Let see... I'll start with new anime (vintage: 2006)
Nishi no yoki majo (good witch of west-astraea testament) --- gothic style anime with fairy tale theme but its only 13 episodes. It has some magical quality near the end.
Zero no Tsukaima - Harry potter style/ set in magic school
Ah my goddess - season 2 currently ongoing
Fate/Stay night - action anime with some romance
Saiunkoku Monogatari - It is based from novel so expect to have a deep plot and character development/discoveries, but no magic girl/boy...
Mamotte Lollipop - fits all your requirements (magical element, easy to watch, romance, comedy) but i am not so sure if someone going to sub this one. Its typical mahou genre but this time its mahou shounen with some cute talking creatures. Its manga is serialized in Nakayoshi ( same w/ other mahou shoujo titles like Card captor, sailor moon, Sugar Rune, Mermaid Melody, Tokyo Mew), so its style is kinda similar.
Old anime in case you haven't seen them
akazukin chacha --- very hilarious magical adventure... but may be too kiddy.
Haruka naru Toki no naka de - its based from game, concept kinda similar with Fushigi Yuugi ( both borrow the concept of 4 God)
Tactics - story-- case to case basis similar with Loki.
ragnarok the animation - action adventure romance magic based from rpg game.
master of mosquiton - adventure comedy and vampire

Last edited by miaka; 2006-08-10 at 10:24.
Old 2006-08-10, 16:57   Link #7
mit7059

hmmm, i think you should try The Meloncoly of Haruhi Suzumiya. Its got magic, comedy, a little romance and all around hilariousness. It can be a little confusing because the episodes don't go in order but it was so good i watched it in one day.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-08-10, 17:38   Link #8
Budweineken
Crap

Although it's only 13 episodes, I think Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo meets all your requirements.
Old 2006-08-10, 20:21   Link #9
ImClueless
Rawr

Full Moon wo Sagashite

Mahou Shoujo - Check (features Shinigami and transformations)
Romance - Check
Slice of Life - Check
Plot - Check
Long - Check (52eps)
Art - Well that is purely subjective so dunno

Bonus - Widely considered one of the best

Downside - Almost no battles (one fist fight)
Old 2006-08-11, 01:39   Link #10
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Maburaho...It has quite a bit of Fan Service, But fits most of those requirements.
Its main story is a romance between 3 then eventually 4 girls and one guy...But it has a lot of unique magical Twist to it. Its also my favorite anime^^
Old 2006-08-11, 08:14   Link #11
EdenB
Overlord

Psychic Academy: 24 episodes, though they're all short episodes. It has comedy, romance, magic (well, aura powers they call it), fights and everyday stuff inbetween. It only has small parts that hint at deep stuff though and never goes into it.

Good art style is dependant on taste really, so examples below:

Spoiler for Click for screenshots:
Old 2006-08-11, 14:50   Link #12
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

Kaleido Star- it's like ginban kaleidocsope but much better in my opinion, it's got comedy/romance/circus, very good anime
52 eps

IF I say Kaleido Star I guess I must say FUll moon wo sagshite it's a great romance though the first 15 eps or so are filler but without 'em you wouldn't know the characters

like someone else said
Akazukin Cha Cha -very funny anime, magical girl, great characters
74 eps
Ichigo mashimaro - funny cute slice of life anime....
Old 2006-08-11, 16:04   Link #13
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budweineken
Although it's only 13 episodes, I think Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo meets all your requirements.
That's what I said the last time this thread came up.

For those of you curious what else has already been recommended: Here's the original thread.
Old 2006-08-13, 08:00   Link #14
Riria

Let's get started...

Ultra maniac: Watched it

Ichigo Mashimaro: Hmm...seems interesting...I'll check it out.

Mahoraba: Seems...ecchi...three girls over one guy? Feels like pure romance to me.

Air: Watched it

Karin: Vampires? Well...other than the vampire part...it seems interesting...

Nana: Too shouen...

Princess Tutu: Actually...I watched it and enjoyed it! It's actually very good!

Kamichu: I would've watched it...but no one is uploading it on Youtube...

Mai-hime: Watched it...It was pretty good!

Nishi no yoki majo (good witch of west-astraea testament)-doesn't apeal to me...

Zero no Tsukaima - watched some...it's echii...

Ah my goddess - maybe....

Fate/Stay night - The main character looks ugly...(I'm picky)

Saiunkoku Monogatari - It's...not very appealing...

Mamotte Lollipop - I wanted to watch it...but it's not subbed!

akazukin chacha --- Art too ugly...

Haruka naru Toki no naka de - Maybe...

Tactics - Hm...Demons...not interested...

ragnarok the animation - Hate the character art

Master of Mousquition-art looks old...and vampires?

Okusama wa mahou shoujo-It just doesn't appeal...

The melonchonly of HS-It's just not my type...it's like shakugen no Shana, and I hated Shana.

Phsychic acadamy-art looks old...and I hated the manga.

Full moon-watched it

Kaleido star-maybe...looks interesting..but isn't this an old series? I'm not sure if the art will pass my standard.

Sorry people! Can you think of anything else?
Old 2006-08-13, 09:09   Link #15
Akeval

Send a message via AIM to Akeval
How about... Steel Angel Kurumi o.o

dont hate me if you've seen it, but i think its something you would like...never gets boring with kurumi, and while it focuses on their relationship at the same time it doesn't... dont know how much sense that makes, but really give it a shot i know its on youtube if you wanna watch it there
Old 2006-08-13, 12:29   Link #16
Budweineken
Crap

Quote:
Okusama wa mahou shoujo-It just doesn't appeal...

The melonchonly of HS-It's just not my type...it's like shakugen no Shana, and I hated Shana.
I would really like to know what about Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo doesn't appeal to you. It meets all your requirements, and without actually watching it you can't tell anything about it. All descriptions about the series fail, so if you're judging this series based solely on those, I think you'll be surprised on how good of a series it is. The plot and romance are presented in a more mature way than most anime out there, especially one about Mahou Shoujo, and that's really what makes the series appealing.

And the Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi similar to Shakugan no Shana? You really have to check other sources for information, because they have zero similarities. This series uniqueness prevents it from being similar to any other anime out there.
Old 2006-08-13, 13:27   Link #17
jedinat

Quote:
Kaleido star-maybe...looks interesting..but isn't this an old series? I'm not sure if the art will pass my standard.
It's actually only 2-3 years old. Give it a try, the series was quite good.
Old 2006-08-13, 13:31   Link #18
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budweineken
I would really like to know what about Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo doesn't appeal to you. It meets all your requirements, and without actually watching it you can't tell anything about it. All descriptions about the series fail, so if you're judging this series based solely on those, I think you'll be surprised on how good of a series it is. The plot and romance are presented in a more mature way than most anime out there, especially one about Mahou Shoujo, and that's really what makes the series appealing.
I also wasn't very attracted by the descriptions of it... and when I started watching it, it appealed to me even less
Old 2006-08-13, 17:45   Link #19
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Mahoraba: Seems...ecchi...three girls over one guy? Feels like pure romance to me.
I think you're confusing this series with Maburaho, which someone else recommended. They are not the same, nor are they related in any way. Mahoraba is not ecchi at all. Plus the relationship in it is one guy, one girl.

Quote:
Umm... It's a shoujo series. Or is it josei... Well, either way I recommended it because everything else was either shounen or seinen. It's good to have varity after all.

Quote:
Kamichu: I would've watched it...but no one is uploading it on Youtube...
It's licensed. The first two dvds are out.

Quote:
Fate/Stay night - The main character looks ugly...(I'm picky)
You'll find yourself missing out on some good series if you refuse to watch based on some minor detail. Besides, how important can animation and art be if you're watching these series on youtube?

Quote:
ragnarok the animation - Hate the character art
You'd have to be a fan of the game anyway. If not, it's rather dull.

Quote:
In what way is it like Shana?

As for new recommendations, I don't know, powerpuff girls z? I'd recommend Magic Knight Rayearth, but you'd probably just shoot it down for it's age. The manga's better anyway, lot of filler in the anime.

You could try Kannazuki no Miko. I held off recommending it before, because of the mecha component, but if you don't mind that, it may be close to what you're looking for.
Old 2006-08-13, 20:40   Link #20
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
I think you meant too shoujo, it most definitely is not too shounen (it's nothing like shounen, even the art screams shoujo).

As for Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi and Shana - I can see what she means, they are sort of similar. Either way, neither matches her lists of requirements very well.

Actually, since the last time your list came out, I might have a new recommendation (albeit a weird one) - xxxHOLiC. It's on episode 16 (I think), but was originally only supposed to go for twelve (or thirteen, I can't remember now). It's a companion to Tsubasa Chronicles that deals with Yuuko (the space-time witch from Tsubasa) and Watanuki. It's Shounen (not Shoujo, which seems to be the way you skew), but then so is Tsubasa Chronicles and MS Lyrical Nanoha. It's also extremely episodic (meaning that there's not a very large over-arching plot) so you can watch it in pieces and not feel like you're missing much by not watching every episode. It only has a little bit of romance, and the art is kind of weird and stylistic (everyone is very long and thin).