AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-05-31, 07:44   Link #401
jwai

I've now up to the actual amphibious assault on Vasel Bridge, and have again noted the following:

- I often have to hold back my Scouts, which is a damned pity. Yes, they can cover more ground than anyone else, but they don't take hits very well, and their rifles aren't nearly damaging enough unless you are lucky to catch someone out of cover to get headshots. I've already had Alicia knocked out twice because of poor decisions. Thankfully, I rarely leave units unsupported, so it's not terribly hard to get a medic at this stage.

- I don't know other people's playstyles, but I tend to have a lot of Shocktroopers as the core. Their machine guns do pretty good damage, and they don't get hammered as badly if things get a bit hairy. My current favourite tactic is to get them as far forward as possible behind sandbags to draw the enemy towards them and abuse the free reaction attacks. Unfortunately, I don't nearly have enough CP's most of the time to move everyone up, so sometimes the troopers are left without timely Sniper or Lancer support, the latter being desperately needed against tanks.

- 2 CP's to work Edelweiss is quite a big price to pay, so you have to make as much use of it during the time you control it.

- There was one time where Dallas was behind Edelweiss and I accidentally backed into her. I heard Dallas scream, thought OH CRAP, but when I went to have a look at Dallas, she was perfectly fine. Somehow, she just gets repositioned. A similar thing also happened when I dropped a mortar shell onto an enemy Lancer which sent him flying into a creek, only for him to reappear and get back up on dry land LOL

I'm also starting to see why they tweaked Alicia in the anime. While she's not boring in the game, she's not that fascinating either.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-31, 08:07   Link #402
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Oh boy, continue playing and you'll see why we the gamers think of her as the goddess.
Old 2009-05-31, 16:03   Link #403
kalbron

All Lancers have an Anti-Explosion effect tied to their armour. Using grenades, mortars or anything similar won't do much damage at all.
kalbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-31, 16:04   Link #404
cloner4000

You are correct...while tank can run over friends or foe, they don't get damanged, but it's useful to push enemy out of cover for your scout to finish them.

Mortar do terrible damage to Lancers..like single digit dmange..but it does knock them out of cover for you to kill them.

Scout's rifle have longer range, and they can move further, so you can try to hit the enemy's blind spot.

But shocktrooper is a lot more reliable but you need two or three on most missions. But nothing wrong with playing slowly.

It really take practices and experience to get the balance of the game.

Take in mind that the units decrease AP if you activate them multiple time in a turn. So if you know you are going to need the lancer, start moving them toward the spot on turn 1, so that by the time you actually need them, they are relatively close and don't waste their AP as much.
cloner4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-31, 20:40   Link #405
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

for me actually, i find missions easier when i use a small team of characters instead of mobilizing all 9 or however many characters i get. generally its like the tank, a scout, a sniper, and maybe a shocktrooper and engineer depending on the scenario. since grading on the game is done solely on how many turns it takes to finish the mission, i think its easier to work it like that rather than move everyone at the same pace, especially since not everyone can progress the same distance every turn.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-31, 23:50   Link #406
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
for me actually, i find missions easier when i use a small team of characters instead of mobilizing all 9 or however many characters i get. generally its like the tank, a scout, a sniper, and maybe a shocktrooper and engineer depending on the scenario. since grading on the game is done solely on how many turns it takes to finish the mission, i think its easier to work it like that rather than move everyone at the same pace, especially since not everyone can progress the same distance every turn.
Yea this is a good approach.

I just didn't like how CPs were tied to Alicia, Rosie and Largo. I never felt that someone elses potential was good enough to miss out on an extra CP every turn.

I wish there was a system that allowed you to reassign CP bonuses to the characters you use most often. It's not like Alicia, Rosie or Largo had any negative attributes anyway, so it can't really be said to be imbalancing. I would just like to personalize my squad a bit more and have more variance in the line-ups. Even though the roster allows 20, I only ever chose the same 12~ characters.

Anyway... when playing for the first time, I would always deploy the maximum amount of troops allowed and make every move tactical. So I would usually end up with C ranks or lower due to taking my time. I dealt with every mishap and death... well, mainly because I didn't even realize you could save during Command Mode until after completing the game.

But noone died permanently though as I would always go out of my way to rescue every soldier. This would really bump up the difficulty when things didn't work out at times, causing a chain reaction of people dying. i.e.: He covered her, and she covered another guy, so when he died, she died, and that guy got severely wounded, causing him to blah blah blah, etc...
Old 2009-06-01, 00:55   Link #407
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

yeah, if i want to develop a character, i use them, but still include Alicia, Rosie and Largo for the points. saving during command mode is excellent too. i normally have one save at during my first turn and a second save before deployment, so i can change who i use depending on what happens. i'm not ashamed to say that i play each battle at least twice, so i know what to expect.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 03:59   Link #408
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Oh boy, continue playing and you'll see why we the gamers think of her as the goddess.
But you said you haven't played the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
i'm not ashamed to say that i play each battle at least twice, so i know what to expect.
It's not a bad idea to go into the mission for the first time for the sake of finding out what the level can produce, though saying that i do like that the AI's actions are not always the same. Makes for fun reply, especially the skirmishes on hard or EX mode.
Old 2009-06-01, 05:23   Link #409
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I probably shouldn't have used the "we".
Old 2009-06-01, 06:38   Link #410
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

Having CPs tied to Alicia and Rosie is not that much of a problem as they are both amongst the best in their class. Largo and the Shamrock is another matter though as they are a bit of a letdown.
don_Durandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-01, 07:12   Link #411
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
Having CPs tied to Alicia and Rosie is not that much of a problem as they are both amongst the best in their class. Largo and the Shamrock is another matter though as they are a bit of a letdown.
But the thing is... if someone decides to deploy a team that they chose because of how they liked the characters (rather than their abilities/strengths) that doesn't include Alicia, Rosie or Largo, then they will play with a -3CP penalty.

It seems to hamper the 'Friend' bonuses a bit, since you might as well pick all of the people friendly to Alicia, Rosie and Largo to some extent.

I played my 2nd playthrough without Alicia, Rosie and Largo on the team because I wanted to play with the other unused characters and tried to utilize the friend bonuses more. It ended up making chapters a little harder (which can be a positive thing if you want more of a challenge). If people are downed rescuing them becomes even harder with your limited CP.
Old 2009-06-01, 07:23   Link #412
jwai

Argh, I really need to get better at this.

I just finished the Vasel Bridge mission, with only one turn remaining. Again, I forgot to move my lancers up, and it was only really the fact that Welkin was parked next to a camp that he managed to survive so many shots from lancers and tanks while I was moving the lancers to deal with those damned tanks. The single enemy sniper on the map also held up the assault, as I then needed to pull Catherine out of reserve to deal with him.
Old 2009-06-01, 23:34   Link #413
cloner4000

Without the 3 CP is very damanging in hard/Expert Skirmishes as you'll literally starts around 5 or so CP while the enemy have 16.

I really don't think you can have a perfect setup without looking at the battle itself, also the maps is hard to see, if it's play on a conventional TV.
Old 2009-06-05, 09:24   Link #414
jwai

Urk. Kloden Wood was quite hard. It took me about three attempts to figure out what to do. In the end, I managed to take out Lupus by getting Largo to go around the back and put a lance through the radiator. I'm not very fond of using Edelweiss to go for standing tank duels, because it can very easily cost the mission if things don't go well, and a point blank lance to the rear can sort things out quite quickly.

I think I've missed the chance to get one of Irene's reports. Is it such that I won't be able to get it until I play the game through to try again?

Elysse cracks me up when she speaks. Her slowness of speech reminds me of Moe from Da Capo. Using Jane or Wendy also makes me smile too. I dunno why I like the platoon nutjobs LOL

Last edited by jwai; 2009-06-05 at 09:46.
Old 2009-06-05, 10:35   Link #415
Barbobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
I think I've missed the chance to get one of Irene's reports. Is it such that I won't be able to get it until I play the game through to try again?

Elysse cracks me up when she speaks. Her slowness of speech reminds me of Moe from Da Capo. Using Jane or Wendy also makes me smile too. I dunno why I like the platoon nutjobs LOL
I don't think it's possible to miss a report from Irene as once they become available to buy by progressing through missions they just sit there until you buy them. BUT there is a report that you can't get until you play New Game+ as it contains a spoiler for the last chapter so they couldn't really put it in a first time game as it would spoil stuff.

Also Elysse is win. Her and Audrey create the Lancer Duo I always use (assuming I want more than 1 lancer).
Barbobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 15:09   Link #416
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Quote:
Urk. Kloden Wood was quite hard. It took me about three attempts to figure out what to do. In the end, I managed to take out Lupus by getting Largo to go around the back and put a lance through the radiator. I'm not very fond of using Edelweiss to go for standing tank duels, because it can very easily cost the mission if things don't go well, and a point blank lance to the rear can sort things out quite quickly.

Elysse is my favourite Lancer too. I love how she says "Yatta!" after taking down an enemy. Whenever one of her potentials gets activated she always sounds really cute. Wendy was also in my line up, and due to her personality I'd have her being a lone wolf, mopping up stray enemies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbobot View Post
I don't think it's possible to miss a report from Irene as once they become available to buy by progressing through missions they just sit there until you buy them. BUT there is a report that you can't get until you play New Game+ as it contains a spoiler for the last chapter so they couldn't really put it in a first time game as it would spoil stuff.

Also Elysse is win. Her and Audrey create the Lancer Duo I always use (assuming I want more than 1 lancer).
Yea the reports work as above. Therefore you should only really keep an eye out for Orders being offered by the old gentleman at the graveyard. You should grab the Orders whenever they are available since it's very random when they will be offered again.

But in the end, there's no worries about missing out on stuff. There's always going to be more chances at getting the stuff again.
Old 2009-06-05, 16:58   Link #417
cloner4000

You kill Lupus? wow you sure go above and Beyond. At that stage you don't actually need to kill him, just capture the camp. But the game didn't really make it too clear though.

Yes..Elysse is the lancer I ended up using for anti-tank duty. Largo had become the mortar man instead. Her personality and quote are just funny to hear.
Old 2009-06-05, 20:00   Link #418
jwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloner4000 View Post
You kill Lupus? wow you sure go above and Beyond. At that stage you don't actually need to kill him, just capture the camp. But the game didn't really make it too clear though.

Yes..Elysse is the lancer I ended up using for anti-tank duty. Largo had become the mortar man instead. Her personality and quote are just funny to hear.
Yes, I was aware that you only needed to capture the camp. I had already tried going for that, but that ended up in disaster, with three shock troopers defending the camp. Figuring that wouldn't work, I went with taking on Lupus.

It was pretty much do or die for Largo, as I had moved him between two building, but still very exposed to both Lupus and the camp defenders. Thankfully, the AI was dumb enough to move Lupus forward enough to expose the radiator to put a point-blank lance through it.

I find lancers to be a lot easier to conceal than Edelweiss, and the blast suits help reduce the incoming damage a lot. Not to mention the inherent awesomeness of sneaking up behind a tank with a single guy and putting a rocket through the tailpipe.

In Skirmish 2, I got panicked the first time when the light tank ploughed through the wall towards my camp. Now I simply have a lancer wait along the side of that wall for the tank to break the wall, sneak up behind and lance it point-blank. Works every time.
Old 2009-06-05, 21:29   Link #419
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
In Skirmish 2, I got panicked the first time when the light tank ploughed through the wall towards my camp. Now I simply have a lancer wait along the side of that wall for the tank to break the wall, sneak up behind and lance it point-blank. Works every time.
Wait, you give him enough time to do that? He's either dead or I've won by then...
Old 2009-06-06, 02:25   Link #420
jwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Wait, you give him enough time to do that? He's either dead or I've won by then...
Well, I'm not a l337 scout rusher. I tend to get C or D rankings for all my missions thus far, but I don't take many risks by nature.

The tank comes through the wall around turn 2 or 3.