AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-07-20, 22:06   Link #81
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
^Apparently it's quite a simple formula. Skip to the relevant section(s):

So having (or trading for) different types of food, smaller cities, health buildings everywhere, and forests + environmentalism contribute to making your country into a Scandinavian welfare utopia. That's...pretty close to reality actually.

Most players play for raw power, however, and population is power. Extra health buildings are also quite low on the build priorities unless the player is looking for a buffer for future growth or potential loss of resources. There's always that next wonder to build, one more modern armor to pump out to fuel the war machine, or just plain wealth or science production when there's not much else to do.

And those forests? Well Archon_Wing demonstrated their most common use in one of his posts above.

As for the play Archon and Kaioshin are having. I'd say you tech and colonize and cooperate with Kaioshin to leave the rest of the world behind in their Medieval squalor. Then you can always choose whether you'd crush riflemen with tanks or aim for the stars. What is Kaioshin doing in that game beside culture warring with the Dutch by the way?
The Dutch expanded really fast for starters which really hurt me for the last 1000 years or so. For another I've never made it beyond the classical age cause my friends I've played with before always drop out on me at that point. This means I'm still pretty inexperienced at this portion of the game, but I'm learning fast. I'm choosing to focus on research now with my Representation powered scientists (thank you pyramids) and we are going to trade techs and move to Africa and be well ahead of the rest of them quite quickly. It looks bad for me now, but I should be moving up into second place reasonably soon.

Getting boxed in by the Dutch really hurt though as I mentioned. I can't begin to stress how fast they expanded. Like we're talking beyond anything I've ever seen in the games I've played before.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 23:44   Link #82
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
It looks bad for me now, but I should be moving up into second place reasonably soon.
When in doubt, tech trade with your friend 'til you're back on the running. It's okay because the AI does it too, especially on a higher difficulty level (which level are you guys playing at?). What's up with the Dutch though? Did they have a food fiesta capital to spam settlers from or something?

Too bad I can count the number of times I've played Civ4 Multiplayer on one hand, and finished games at zero. And the tally won't increase anytime soon since one of my RAM sticks died and made Civ4 lategame well nigh unplayable in my current PC.

Of course by the same metric I cannot even hope to touch Civ5. Good for me in a sense, when I eventually get to play it I will be playing a polished game at cheaper prices, maybe even with an expansion or two. Plus I get to avoid all those "this Civ sequel sucks" dramas.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 00:32   Link #83
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I have that same problem... I played so many Civ5 games, but could never finish them fully.
Old 2011-07-22, 04:38   Link #84
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Irenicus: We're not playing on any special difficulty. Kaioshin's set @ warlord, and I'm set @ noble. Maybe I should upload the save, apparently you can play as any player if you load it on your own comp.

Heh, well, I recorded myself playing a really run of the mill Civ IV noble difficulty game for an hour as a tutorial for Kaioshin and others. Now I'm uploading it to youtube as we speak but I'm sure Youtube will ruin the quality and make everything unreadable so what's a good space to upload a couple of 250 MB files? Civ games tend to be kinda long so...even compressed an hour is going to be ~1.5 GB (below that and it gets awfully blurry)

Also, I had to use Window mode for it to record right, so it's gonna be a bit jerky.Kinda lame Civ IV's Window mode is so bad (no option to lock cursor for scrolling) and for this reason I can't play turning the resolution any lower. I was already playing at like half speed and was still managing stuff very poorly. Especially painful was the massive massive amounts of jungles and I absolutely despise having to chop it... there should be a auto-clear jungle button, but then again Civ IV's interface is so god awful, that's too much to expect.

It is however, God, compared to Civ V's interface...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa6qu0LrC64
And that's part one. You'll have to full screen for it to be readable, if you can deal with that, I'll upload more.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-07-22 at 05:17.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 04:51   Link #85
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I have that same problem... I played so many Civ5 games, but could never finish them fully.
I've only finished twice - on a Huge map set to Marathon. Sadly, both ended on diplomatic victory, because it's way to easy to do that (or potentially lose to it).

The one unit per hex, as well as the ridiculous unit production levels actually minimized the amount of "stuff" that could be put onto the field. So, at least, that was a significant improvement for the modern age playability.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 17:16   Link #86
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

I'll be collecting all my video links here
Part 1 (to 1720 BC):
And here's part 2... (to 600 BC)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cax_3lhnEzU
Part 3 (to 75 AD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsLrHxEmoPc
Part 4 (to 840 AD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DuCoLWeDMc

Edit: See http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...06#post3701406

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-07-23 at 19:30.
Old 2011-07-22, 17:43   Link #87
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Irenicus: We're not playing on any special difficulty. Kaioshin's set @ warlord, and I'm set @ noble. Maybe I should upload the save, apparently you can play as any player if you load it on your own comp.

Heh, well, I recorded myself playing a really run of the mill Civ IV noble difficulty game for an hour as a tutorial for Kaioshin and others. Now I'm uploading it to youtube as we speak but I'm sure Youtube will ruin the quality and make everything unreadable so what's a good space to upload a couple of 250 MB files? Civ games tend to be kinda long so...even compressed an hour is going to be ~1.5 GB (below that and it gets awfully blurry)

Also, I had to use Window mode for it to record right, so it's gonna be a bit jerky.Kinda lame Civ IV's Window mode is so bad (no option to lock cursor for scrolling) and for this reason I can't play turning the resolution any lower. I was already playing at like half speed and was still managing stuff very poorly. Especially painful was the massive massive amounts of jungles and I absolutely despise having to chop it... there should be a auto-clear jungle button, but then again Civ IV's interface is so god awful, that's too much to expect.

It is however, God, compared to Civ V's interface...

And that's part one. You'll have to full screen for it to be readable, if you can deal with that, I'll upload more.
Hey though, more jungles means more stockpiled lumber which means more free hammer icons in the long run. That's one thing that I've made particular note of for my next game. It's really important to use your forests cause hammer tiles can be really hard to come by if you don't have a lot of hills early on for mines.

Now of course I should mention for the purposes of the thread that a forest tile adds +0.4 health to your city, which isn't much, but could help early on if you are really desperate for extra health bonuses and are playing on a higher difficulty. It's best to think of health as a further cap on growth the same way that happiness effects your growth. For every unhappy person over your total of happy people you get one less worker available and for every unhealthy person over your total of healthy people that person consumes twice as much food. Really bad if you are trying to grow your city.

The two biggest things that effect health are the buildings you have as well as the population of your city since disease spreads faster in crowded areas and certain types of buildings like say forges or factories spread pollution. Forests can counteract this, but so can your medicine and other types of buildings so once you get those you won't be needing a whole lot of forest in your area anymore.

The two biggest things that effect happiness are again the population of your city, but also the manner in which you govern. Certain buildings and improvements give extra happiness as do certain civics while others take away from happiness. Use the whip to hurry production and you'll find yourself with some unhappy people for a generation or two. Keep the citizens well protected with a strong garrison and you can negate or with the right civic even improve the ratio of happy to unhappy people and open room for tons of growth.

It's all a matter of balance, much like the majority of the features in this game.
Old 2011-07-22, 18:08   Link #88
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Sadly, Jungles are counted different from forests in IV. They're actually worse than useless.. They do not give you any lumber, cause unhealthiness (malaria?), and require the very expensive Iron working to cut down. For the most part they're usually very harmful for you cities; while IMO they should have acted like floodplains (more food but in exchange for unhealthiness.) The only good thing about jungle is that they usually hold calendar resources and thus is good plantation/farmland after you chop it down.

It's for this reason why any start near jungle blows so hard-- you can't even use most of those tiles til later on.

Overall, happiness is definitely the more limiting of the population caps, and thus we usually don't bother too much with health. The reason for that is that unhappy citizens don't do anything but waste food and cost maintenance. Usually you'll have enough food surplus to overcome unhealthiness until later on. If the city doesn't have that much food to begin with, unhealthiness won't be a problem. And if your cities are truly unhealthy and unhappy, just whip them down.

And a final note to why you should chop down forests is that they are liabilities during war. If the enemy sets up on defensive terrain on your land, you'll have a lot of trouble. There are some gimmicks like using forrested forts at narrow spots but in the majority of wars you just don't want your enemy securing themselves in a nice spot.

An exception is probably the national park.

Well, you could save trees in tundra areas since tundra tiles are so bad anyways.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-22, 18:13   Link #89
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Sadly, Jungles are counted different from forests in IV. They're actually worse than useless.. They do not give you any lumber, cause unhealthiness (malaria?), and require the very expensive Iron working to cut down. For the most part they're usually very harmful for you cities; while IMO they should have acted like floodplains (more food but in exchange for unhealthiness.) The only good thing about jungle is that they usually hold calendar resources and thus is good plantation/farmland after you chop it down.

It's for this reason why any start near jungle blows so hard-- you can't even use most of those tiles til later on.

Overall, happiness is definitely the more limiting of the population caps, and thus we usually don't bother too much with health. The reason for that is that unhappy citizens don't do anything but waste food and cost maintenance. Usually you'll have enough food surplus to overcome unhealthiness until later on. And if your cities are truly unhealthy and unhappy, just whip them down.

And a final note to why you should chop down forests is that they are liabilities during war. If the enemy sets up on defensive terrain on your land, you'll have a lot of trouble. There are some gimmicks like using forrested forts at narrow spots but in the majority of wars you just don't want your enemy securing themselves in a nice spot.

An exception is probably the national park.

Well, you could save trees in tundra areas since tundra tiles are so bad anyways.
i only chop down trees right next to my city. Otherwise i try very not to chop down tress. The Lumber mill on a hill next to a river is too good to pass up.
Old 2011-07-22, 18:29   Link #90
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Lumbermills are good improvements. But it's just that 20 hammers right now is usually way more important than a few more hammers and commerce/ turn much later down the road. The other thing is that you could have built a mine, and have it a small chance of finding gold, as well as getting a lot of hammers for the many years from the mine.

If there are any trees by the time you reach replacable parts in newer areas, it may be worth it, especially if you can have offshore colonies where you don't really need the 20 hammers.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-22, 21:22   Link #91
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Spoiler for The Rape of Africa:

The rape of Africa has begun!!! As you fine folks can see I'm already stinking rich and plan to be richer still. If all goes well Archon and I might even be able to combine for a Wealth Victory by building the World Bank.

Another thing I have in abundance is research points and so does Archon so we could also go for a research victory by winning the space race. In any case Archon and I have been trading techs like mad and hold a monopoly on Gunpowder as of now.

Speaking of which....

Spoiler for Back home:

Back home my first Musketeer is on the way and things are going well. My capital is now a monster capable of churning out just about any type of unit in under 10 turns. I can spam workers/settlers and take all of Africa for myself pretty quickly as well. As for Archon he is keeping the rest of the world at bay by inciting war amongst our rivals while I keep hitting them up for money in exchange for useless old techs that we've long since had.
Old 2011-07-22, 21:37   Link #92
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Kaioshin and I played to 1190 and...

Mostly just heavy teching. A jewish missionary found his way to my lands and I quickly converted to judaism. Tokugawa will talk now and accepts war bribes against Kaioshin's neighbor Wilem. The Dutch are clearly pissed at this cowardly act, but Japan's too excited over shiny techs they should have gotten 1000 years ago.

I actually can switch to representation but haven't due to political reasons. Gilgamesh and i are on very good terms and we signed a defensive pact (Got Liberalism first and took Military Tradition as a tech). Kaioshin also signs one with me after we traded techs and then with Gilgamesh for a triple alliance.

As Orange is fuming, he falls behind. Kaioshin is 2nd in score and said I should take a screencap...

Wilem's worst enemy is quickly becoming me. But with a defense pact going and Tokugawa annoying him, he can't touch me. But just to make sure...

They actually aren't doing too much, but they certainly aren't trading with each other anymore and demanding their ex friends cut off connections.

Being with that Kaioshin easily expanded to the west, only to see Hannibal there. Fortunately Hannibal's colonies aren't growing and the maintenance is pretty gonna wreck him soon. I will send missionaries to boost the French culture up.

Meanwhile, the French have clearly outsnobbed the ailing Dutch, and I aim for democracy to get the Statue Of liberty. Meanwhile, i'm slowly constructing stables to build Cursassiers and later Cavalry

We enjoy a pretty big tech lead

And now, 4 of the 5 top cities in the world belong to me, the 5th is the French capital. The AI still hasn't built any wonders yet.

lol wut. I have roughly 7x the population, 6x the gnp, and 3x the production of the nearest competitor; I'm almost meeting the domination population requirement by myself, just need more land. South of me is the place to go. Of course, I prefer to conquer cities over building them, so...

The funny thing is the other major power, Gilgamesh is aligned with us, so we might actually be able to win domination just by settling enough land.

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-07-22 at 22:22.
Old 2011-07-22, 22:19   Link #93
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
I'll be collecting all my video links here
Part 1 (to 1720 BC):
Part 3 (to 75 AD)
You seem to having some trouble with the jungle to the left of your heartlands.

The barbarian city looks like it took away a pretty good city spot there. I imagine you were building those chariots for an expedition there?

Nice tutorial. It's good to see how other players play. (And were you trying to start a war between Justinian and João of Portugal for a moment there? XD) I myself still can't find the best balance between early military/worker production which cost me in different ways. Sometimes I lose workers to barbarian raids because I don't have enough warriors. Other times I get left behind because my tiles aren't developed enough to keep up with AI in tech. I think it's because I'm chronically reluctant to whip production when I should.
Old 2011-07-22, 23:02   Link #94
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
You seem to having some trouble with the jungle to the left of your heartlands.
Indeed, personally I hate maps with lots of jungle

Quote:
The barbarian city looks like it took away a pretty good city spot there. I imagine you were building those chariots for an expedition there?
Yea, I was actually like WTF! They had to set it up right now??? That set me back a bit. I actually was trying to build chariots to take the barb cities, but it actually takes longer then it should. Chariots weren't the best choice as you'll see soon, considering the zulu have the mobile impi spear unit. But yea, I was slowed down greatly by this. It could have been prevented though...

Quote:
Nice tutorial. It's good to see how other players play. (And were you trying to start a war between Justinian and João of Portugal for a moment there? XD)
Yes, but alas they're hard people to convince.

it's a good idea to check that option every now and then. If it's redded out with "we have enough on our hands right now" it either means they are at war, and if they're not, they're planning to attack someone. With this in mind, if this happens to you, and you are close, you must prepare an army. If they are pleased or better, ask them for a cheap gift-- that creates a forced peace treaty for 10 turns.

Fortunately, the BUG mod, which I was using will check for you as well as other notifications about what people will trade. It doesn't change gameplay in any way, but is mostly for interface improvements. http://sourceforge.net/projects/civ4bug/. It's probably one of the most popular mods out there.

Quote:
I myself still can't find the best balance between early military/worker production which cost me in different ways. Sometimes I lose workers to barbarian raids because I don't have enough warriors. Other times I get left behind because my tiles aren't developed enough to keep up with AI in tech. I think it's because I'm chronically reluctant to whip production when I should.
Depends on the map. If you see no metal or horses, then you might want to invest in archery. But you shouldn't need anything besides warriors to fight against barbs until near the end of the BCs when Barb axes start coming out. Warriors fortified on forested hills can take barb archers on usually.

Actually a lot of the best players don't even fight barbs at all. They abuse the fact that barb units cannot spawn within 2 tiles of any unit. By creating these "spawn busters" they can ensure that barbs never spawn that much to begin with. But if there's a lot of empty land, that may not be feasible. This also means that if you're isolated/semi-isolated, you have to worry more about barbs.

In general, (and I was sadly too lazy to do this) you should create a ring of warriors around your empire, fortified on hills. This gives you much more advanced notice on barbs.

As for when to whip, that's kind of a hard question. If your city is unhappy, it definitely could use a beating. If you're working only good tiles, you might want to hold off on the whip except for whipping extremely important infrastructure. Well, early game, you don't really need infrastructure besides a granary and perhaps a monument, if one isn't creative. I guess a whipped library in the capital early works wonders too.

Also, don't get caught up on wonders too much if you're not Industrious or have a special resource. Although I personally like wonders a lot, for the purpose of the video, I largely avoided them, except the Great Lighthouse, because it's that damned good.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-23, 00:30   Link #95
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

I like to use the whip as a means of population control. If my city is growing faster than it can remain happy and or healthy and a sacrifice won't set my next growth milestone back more than 5 or so turns to get back up to where I was I'll usely take the hit to finish something like a world wonder or a building that I need as fast as possible.

If such a situation presents itself I then do a little math. I find it's best to use the whip only in situations where the impact on your population and their happiness is less than the gain in hammers and how long it would take you otherwise. If the setback on your population is equal to or less than the number of turns it would take to finish the project, use the whip.
Old 2011-07-23, 19:29   Link #96
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Ok, the game is completely uploaded; I'll consolidate the links all here; Please watch in full screen:
Part 1 (to 1720 BC):
Part 3 (to 75 AD)
Part 4 to 840:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DuCoLWeDMc
Part 5 to 1390:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8APsG_mC-Hw
Part 6 to 1720 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3_5FXx09lE
Part 7 to 1814:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31WMlztPVMw
Part 8 to 1840:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9okG1S5qbk
Part 9 to 1892 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxpBX9wjONs
Part 10 to 1922:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGZAFme3Lqc
Part 11 to 1943:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW7bCMJIxPw
Part 12 to 1961:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ReM29jWyfQ
Part 13 to 1976:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c61Z5nwmXsI

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-07-24 at 00:05.
Old 2011-07-24, 18:01   Link #97
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

It's long yet it's a lot shorter than a usual Civ run, lol. Will edit comments as I watch.
Quote:
I was like "why are you appeasing the Portuguese when their spies keep ruining your day?" And then I saw you beelined Liberalism and chose Nationalism and I was like, oh.

Too bad you're weren't fast enough to finish Military Tradition for the first war. Fortunately their pillaging didn't do much long term damage with your armies of workers you made to cut down on all that jungle.

At the end of Part 6 I imagine you were like "revenge!" But I'm wondering if you could demand some techs or gold out of them before you declare war? I'm not entirely sure how it works but sometimes having a huge military force (like your cavalry horde) next to the enemy's borders make them...pliable. Then I attack them anyway.

...what did the Mongols ever do to you? XP

Well aside from Genghis being a pain in the butt especially if you are unlucky enough to be his early game neighbor.

But I wonder if you're neglecting infrastructure a bit building those huge overseas expeditionary armies? I'm kind of an infra-whore in that I really don't like to see green and red faces in my key cities. That and I can't stop building wonders, wonders, and wonders, and if I want to build lots of wonders I need high hammer buildings -- which means I need health buildings to back it up.

Then again, if you're aiming for a domination victory you're well on your way there.

You went through all that warring to win a Diplomatic Victory!?

I've never really fought a modern war in Civ before (I rarely finish Civ games, and by that point I would be aiming either for the space race or a UN victory). You said it wasn't your best war in the description -- but how do you properly fight a modern war?

Last edited by Irenicus; 2011-07-24 at 19:22.
Old 2011-07-24, 19:07   Link #98
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
It's long yet it's a lot shorter than a usual Civ run, lol. Will edit comments as I watch.

I was like "why are you appeasing the Portuguese when their spies keep ruining your day?" And then I saw you beelined Liberalism and chose Nationalism and I was like, oh.
Appeasing him guarantees a 10 turn peace treaty. As you note, I did it more than once, and he declares war almost as soon as the treaty expires. If I didn't, it's almost certain he declares war INSTANTLY. And I am not ready for that, those techs I give him aren't enough to really put him far ahead.

If you don't want a war now, you must swallow your pride or risk dying. That's why I was slowly building units during these peace treaties.

Honestly I think I should have grabbed Military Tradition off Liberalism but I was afraid someone was more advanced on the other side.

Quote:
Too bad you're weren't fast enough to finish Military Tradition for the first war. Fortunately their pillaging didn't do much long term damage with your armies of workers you made to cut down on all that jungle.
Well, the problem is that I failed to guard the iron and curassiers require that. If this kind of resource is vulnerable, I might just consider building forts.
Quote:
At the end of Part 6 I imagine you were like "revenge!" But I'm wondering if you could demand some techs or gold out of them before you declare war? I'm not entirely sure how it works but sometimes having a huge military force (like your cavalry horde) next to the enemy's borders make them...pliable. Then I attack them anyway.
It's possible, but honestly they never really give that much. Plus the whole peace treaty thing I mentioned above. It's more of an issue of timing. Cavalry are one of the most overpowered units for its time, and hitting them before they have rifling too is an immense advantage. If you are a good player (not me), you can chain capitulate multiple civs with just Cavalry+ pinch upgrade (25% vs gunpowder)+ airships, which dominate everything until infantry. And they can still hold their own against that. Infantry are next age units too!

Quote:
...what did the Mongols ever do to you? XP
Nothing yet, but he's not a reliable ally either.

Quote:
But I wonder if you're neglecting infrastructure a bit building those huge overseas expeditionary armies? I'm kind of an infra-whore in that I really don't like to see green and red faces in my key cities. That and I can't stop building wonders, wonders, and wonders, and if I want to build lots of wonders I need high hammer buildings -- which means I need health buildings to back it up.
It's actually quite a mistake on my part as later on that made the last part of the game really slow. In between wars it's a good idea to just prepare and then later build massive invasion forces. It's a good idea to consider building at least factories for more production. Well the attack on Khan was fine but later on it gets ugly.

It really depends. If I think I can take them on now, I'll go all out military. Total war is needed for these situations.

For the most part, the great boost in production outweighs unhealthiness.

However, an overseas attack demands large armies, even if your enemy is behind in tech . In fact I have to raze cities simply because I can't hold them all.

A good overseas attack involves carriers with fighters and marines. I forgot about the carriers. :S

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-07-24 at 19:17.
Old 2011-07-24, 20:05   Link #99
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
You went through all that warring to win a Diplomatic Victory!?

I've never really fought a modern war in Civ before (I rarely finish Civ games, and by that point I would be aiming either for the space race or a UN victory). You said it wasn't your best war in the description -- but how do you properly fight a modern war?
Yea, I was getting tired, and didn't want to upload yet another video on youtube, so I just took the quick way out.

Modern war is fought the same way as most war past ancient ages-- with lots of collateral damage from siege weapons. But the advantage of modern war is that there's a new form of collateral damage from bombers. Therefore to win, you need to clog the skies with aircraft. Fighters shoot down enemy fighters and bombers do massive damage to enemies. Massed fighters do a lot of damage on their own, and also can draw fire from antiair. For overseas attacks, I would like several carriers loaded with aircraft to provide air superiority and to cram as much into an area as possible. You can defeat advanced enemies if you own the skies and use siege. It's also the only way to win naval battles decisively.

It's necessary to relegate certain fights to "intercept" so they will shoot down enemy aircraft. Infantry/Artilery is solid enough, but tanks help. You may also use small strike forces of marines to attack coastal cities, but that requires heavy air support.

Because of the extreme mobility of the enemy thanks to railroads, you may not be able to hold onto cities-- some may just have to burn.

Against backwards stacks, machine guns help a lot. Build airports in your cities and use the airlift function to reinforce captured cities.

Nukes help a lot, but I strongly dislike fighting a nuclear war at tech parity-- it pretty much devolves into whoever nukes first. Against backwards enemies, nukes are the easiest way to win. But if they have nukes too, it's a real pain unless you build SDI.

Another thing to worry about is war weariness. Use the culture slider to combat this.

Finally, you should have production infrastructure ready as much as you can handle. Power is always good, it's always nice to have a city that 1 turns modern armor.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-24, 20:33   Link #100
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

So airpower, airpower, and more airpower basically.

The way you said it makes so much sense -- airbomb, attack, airdrop -- and it's not like I don't understand modern war (I play a lot of the HOI series of games, and in those games airpower is serious business), but I guess I couldn't intuitively translate that to Civ's war mechanics.

Mm, maybe I'll fire up Civ 4 again to try intercontinental modern warfare. Maybe I'll finally get to see the USA's Navy SEALS in action...