Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-14, 06:22   Link #721
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
For those that want a taste of the new episodes (and a peek at chapter 3) here's fresh out of Nicovideo, the previews for episodes 4, 5, 6 and 7. Enjoy them while they're up.

Ep 4 preview
-The Nurse a stalker type, looking at Yuki and Kodai while they're talking and getting excited.
-Yuki looks good with her hair up
-YUKI IS GETTING ABDUCTED BY GAMILONS OVER THE SHOULDER CAVEMAN STYLE!

ep5 preview
-Freaking deflecting giant beam cannon!
-They seem to be going over more physically how the fighter launching process works in this show. A big fancy rotating fighter launch system. THIS itself might be a reason for the Yamato getting increased in size, because they realized that the models for these internal hangar area's were too large to fit in the old ship.
-Yamato shields seem to have bleed through effect rather than completely absorbing the attacks until they pop. The shield is clearly dampening the beam, and it seems the Yamato would have been completely destroyed without it. It seems they're trying to set up the Yamato as being a legit tank to compensate for inferior numbers.

Yamato 6 preview
-They seem to have crash landed from the previous episodes reflex cannon attack. In the water no less. This has created an interesting situation where the ship is flooding, and sections need to be sealed off. This might be a good reason for everyone in the ship to wear space suits...but then again, if the water pressure outside gets really high, a pressure suit designed to keep pressure in might not take to well to heavy water pressure.

episode 7 preview
-Still in the solar system, but the number of character action shots suggests to me that they're finally going to be getting out into the wider galaxy.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2012-07-14 at 06:41.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 09:54   Link #722
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Ep 4 preview
-The Nurse a stalker type, looking at Yuki and Kodai while they're talking and getting excited.
-Yuki looks good with her hair up
-YUKI IS GETTING ABDUCTED BY GAMILONS OVER THE SHOULDER CAVEMAN STYLE!

ep5 preview
-Freaking deflecting giant beam cannon!
-They seem to be going over more physically how the fighter launching process works in this show. A big fancy rotating fighter launch system. THIS itself might be a reason for the Yamato getting increased in size, because they realized that the models for these internal hangar area's were too large to fit in the old ship.
-Yamato shields seem to have bleed through effect rather than completely absorbing the attacks until they pop. The shield is clearly dampening the beam, and it seems the Yamato would have been completely destroyed without it. It seems they're trying to set up the Yamato as being a legit tank to compensate for inferior numbers.

Yamato 6 preview
-They seem to have crash landed from the previous episodes reflex cannon attack. In the water no less. This has created an interesting situation where the ship is flooding, and sections need to be sealed off. This might be a good reason for everyone in the ship to wear space suits...but then again, if the water pressure outside gets really high, a pressure suit designed to keep pressure in might not take to well to heavy water pressure.

episode 7 preview
-Still in the solar system, but the number of character action shots suggests to me that they're finally going to be getting out into the wider galaxy.
That Reflex beam being deflected was a goosebump moment for me, along with the sunk Yamato. As for the episode 7 preview, most of it was made using footage from the Opening Credits Sequence, wich might account for the Solar System shots. Also that episode, 7, is the one in wich they leave the Heliosphere so not that much out of place. Can't wait for the 27th...plus shiping time... ARGHHHHH!!!!!
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 12:41   Link #723
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Looks like the shields are deflecting rather than absorbing. Energy is being dispersed back into space for half the hull's length, then the shield starts to fail as the beam starts to cut a scar in the hull while the rest is still deflected. Then the shelds fail and beam hits something that explodes. Looks like it hit a set of doors just aft of the side missile tubes. Under the aft secondary turret.

Though that makes one wonder how the Earth beams from before were bending around the Gamilas shields. My guess was that the beam partly penetrated and was deflected out into the shields again, but this time it followed the inside curve of the shield until it stopped. Then the beam continued in a straight line again.

As for episode 7. I wonder if they are going to combine the elements from the old Episode 9 and 10 for that one. I only reason that due to the one shot of them all with protective goggles on...which they normally only use for when they fire the Wave Motion Gun. This suggests a fight happens.

Also there is Yuria on a microphone, so I guess they are going to have her fill in her Yamato Radio roll in story as well.
Old 2012-07-14, 14:02   Link #724
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Looks like the shields are deflecting rather than absorbing. Energy is being dispersed back into space for half the hull's length, then the shield starts to fail as the beam starts to cut a scar in the hull while the rest is still deflected. Then the shelds fail and beam hits something that explodes. Looks like it hit a set of doors just aft of the side missile tubes. Under the aft secondary turret.
Which is probably something that's going to freak the hell out of the Gamilons. They DID hit the Yamato with a huge land based super cannon, and it looks like the extensive damage the Yamato suffered had more to do with a critical weak point being hit than because of the overwhelming power of the beam. It's possible that if the shot had been somewhat off, Yamato would have shrugged this hit off with minor damage.

The fact that your weapon which should be able to slice a Gamilon capitol ship in half is doing that kind of unreliable damage to Yamato is kinda stressing what a monster this thing is in terms of durability. Mostly due to the crazy energy output they get from their wave motion engines to power their shields.

Quote:
Though that makes one wonder how the Earth beams from before were bending around the Gamilas shields. My guess was that the beam partly penetrated and was deflected out into the shields again, but this time it followed the inside curve of the shield until it stopped. Then the beam continued in a straight line again.
Well when you come down to it, the properties of deflectors and shields in fiction is often pretty wonky. It's possible if there's a sufficient gap between the strength of the shields and the beam hitting them, that crazy properties of the defensive field just makes the incoming beam weapon just completely bounce off, effectively redirecting all the energy away from the ship.

If the beam is stronger though, it can punch through the field partially, leaving the field only able to shed off bits of energy from the beam in a clumsy manner.

Quote:
Also there is Yuria on a microphone, so I guess they are going to have her fill in her Yamato Radio roll in story as well.
Yamato radio?
Old 2012-07-14, 14:28   Link #725
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yamato Radio seems to be a Monday online radio show done on the Onsen network. It stars Aya Uchida (Yuria) and Cho (Analyzer). I'm not entirely sure if there is a radio drama in it as well as the segments from fan letters and the like.
Old 2012-07-14, 18:05   Link #726
macdawson

Episode 7 deals with the Yamato passing the boundary of the Heliosphere and the crew saying their goodbyes to their loved ones back home. Yuria on the microphone might just be her taking her turn.

Interesting points on those previews (besides the amazing visuals):

-Ep04:
An Aurora on Saturns south pole, wonder if that is just for spectacle or it will play any relevant part on the story...
Kodai, Yuki, Analizer and Makoto seem to be aboard a Cosmo Seagul, good to finaly see it in action.
Wonder if that Gamilas peeking through the Yukikazes ports over Yuki is an actual soldier or an android like the upcoming Orta?
It seems that hole in the Cosmo Zero's nose isn't there just for looks as it fires a shot. Maybe a larger projectile, like a grenade...
The geisers of Enceladus in action... cool
We finaly get to see the new side-arms. They seem more compact that the original Cosmo-Gun. And Kodai now uses his brothers gun.

-Ep05:
The Reflexion Satelite Cannon firing is just a beautiful thing to behold.
The satelites seem to use energy field to deflect the energy, much like its been discussed on the previous comments. This was always implied but the actual animation made it seem like the beam would actually be bounced off the satelites. Here we see the field deploying just before the beam hits.
We see the crew in a room. In the original they went to the 3rd bridge (only time they actually gave it a purpose and a use, besides "Resurrection") but that was only after the Yamato had sunk and was upside down. So this might be an actual CIC.
The fighter launches are awesome. And the whole squadron flying in formation towards what i believe is Charon ... just beautiful stuff.
The Reflex beam hiting the shields... we get a sense of how powerful that thing is and how resilient the Yamato is, despite the massive blast. Without those shields i believe the Yamato would have been finished right there. Let the battle of wits begin.

-Ep06:
This time we have a frozen ocean with a big hole where the Yamato and the subsequent Reflex Gun shot opened a big hole. The Yamato is still upright, like in the original, where Okita ordered the ship be turned upside down just as a way to trick the Gamilas. And the depth charges just like in the original, too.
Kato loosing a pilot and being pissed off at it.
The Yamato tracking the satelite's positions. Are they keeping an eye out for the next shot or locking on to destroy them?
Kodai and Akira fly in the Zeroes through some sort of light barrier. The afore mentioned cloacking device barrier, perhaps?
The Yamato releasing balast to surface. It's on!!!

-Ep07:
The first few shots are from either the credits sequence or previous episodes, like Kodai and Okita looking at Mars. The shot of Nambu with the goggles, wich made you believe that the WMG will be fired is from episode 3. (though i havent seen that one yet, that image is on the new Yamato Crew Chapters 1 and 2 Digest Clear Files, on the sequence related to that episode). The next few shots of the crew are from the actual episode. There is one interesting shot of Yuki wich looks like the one in the opening sequence but this is longer. This makes me believe that at least part of the opening sequence scenes will be used in the episodes.

Why so much stuff from other sources instead of episode 7? One possible explanation, and this is just me talking, the next chapter will only come out in October, almost four months after chapter 2. Maybe not enough of episode 7 was ready in time for the volume 2 release so they went with it this way. Or the episode features scenes from what came before (maybe crew members telling their families what they've already been through, though i doubt they would use the little time they have for that). I would keep an eye out for the episode 7 preview in the retail version or in the 2013 TV run. XD

Last edited by macdawson; 2012-07-14 at 18:43.
Old 2012-07-14, 18:23   Link #727
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The game system had suggested there was a large cannon in the Cosmo Zero's nose. Also there were episodes of shots coming from there, but then shots came from all over that fighter's nose due to various animators doing it.

The weapons panel for the Cosmo Zero that we've seen before (empty in Episode One on Kodai's borrowed "00" and in the new OP sequence). It shows four guns and six missile hardpoints with various types of missile and bombs being possible (as well as a drop tanks for extended range). And it shows a Cannon in the centerline with up to ten rounds in it.

The website says it has as shield as well. Might be how they get through whatever is protecting the Pluto Base.

I wonder if there will be flashbacks to earlier in the war. I think the director wanted to do a prequel OVA. Maybe the Second Battle of Mars...or the arrival of the first Iscandarian ship to Earth. Those might be the same event for all we know.
Old 2012-07-15, 22:19   Link #728
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

And now for some action. I saw this on Nicovideo today and later found a version on Youtube.

Yamato's first fight.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-07-15, 22:26   Link #729
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

I've got goosebumps all over. That was epic.
Old 2012-07-15, 22:30   Link #730
GundamFan0083

Quote:
And now for some action. I saw this on Nicovideo today and later found a version on Youtube.

Yamato's first fight.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
You know that after the wave motion gun destroyed the floating continent Col. Gantz/Shultz was like "What the hell was that?"
Old 2012-07-15, 22:44   Link #731
YF19EX

That is what I am talking about! A good old fashioned ship to ship combat with the Wave Motion gun thrown in. Always been a sucker to the massive ship weaponry that can always destroy the enemy in one shot but is always used as a last resort! (anime rule number 27)
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 23:36   Link #732
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Looks like the Gamilon shields were absolutely useless against the Shock Cannons and Fusion Shells. Not even a hint of them deflecting even a fraction of the energy Yamato unleased at them.

And they dent up really nice fromn either physical shells or energy weapons with enough power behind them.

There is something to be said for seeing the scale of the damage the Wave Motion Gun does. Before it was great, but seeing the blast taking apart the continent with the knowledge of just how big Yamato is compared to that mass. It just shocking how much damage it does and how large of a blast it is.

I wonder if it was more powerful than the Earth expected? They just took out something the size of Australia.
Old 2012-07-16, 02:25   Link #733
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

I've been waiting for this... WAVE MOTION GUN

That entire sequence just gave me the chills. And seeing its destructive power brings tears to my eyes

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 03:47   Link #734
Tri-ring

Quote:
Looks like the Gamilon shields were absolutely useless against the Shock Cannons and Fusion Shells. Not even a hint of them deflecting even a fraction of the energy Yamato unleased at them.

And they dent up really nice fromn either physical shells or energy weapons with enough power behind them.

There is something to be said for seeing the scale of the damage the Wave Motion Gun does. Before it was great, but seeing the blast taking apart the continent with the knowledge of just how big Yamato is compared to that mass. It just shocking how much damage it does and how large of a blast it is.

I wonder if it was more powerful than the Earth expected? They just took out something the size of Australia.
In the original series they never went into details of what wave motion (波動エネルギー) is but in this series they went a little deeper elaborating that the wave motion generator is actually powered by a micro black hole and that the wave they are talking about is a gravity wave.
In essence the wave motion gun is a gravity wave gun in which an immense gravity distortion beam is generated which ripples the fabric of space along it's path.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 03:51   Link #735
macdawson

Awesome clip Yep, the size of freakin' AUSTRALIA. Guess they call it a Floating Continent for a reason. Not to mention this is also the first shot they take at Gamilas, since the continent is a piece of Gamilas itself. I doubt the developers knew it would be that powerful since this is an experimental thing.

Last edited by macdawson; 2012-07-16 at 04:14.
Old 2012-07-16, 03:52   Link #736
macdawson

And here's another one from episode 5, with the launch of the Cosmo Zero's and Cosmo Falcons. Also we have the answer to a question raised earlier, the room in wich the main staff is during the battle IS NOT the 3rd bridge, but the 2nd. And Kodai call Akira "Yamamoto"... that will make her proud.

And a treat for the music lovers, the new version of the Yamato Theme. I uploaded it a few days ago but forgot to post it here. XD

Last edited by macdawson; 2012-07-16 at 04:54.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:07   Link #737
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post

And a treat for the music lovers, the new version of the Yamato Theme. I uploaded it a few days ago but forgot to post it here. XD

Here is the original

Even the music is 100% gorgeous.

Interesting point is the starting guitar in both which sounds so macaroni(spaghetti) western.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 13:07   Link #738
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

A zero-g hanger? Okay that works too.

The English is strong for catapult launches.

I am wondering if the one Cosmo Falcon that has the shark teeth is Shinohara's. It also has a black fin like Kato's does so I am guessing he is the other squadron leader. Though Kato's "100" fighter is painted more like the Far Eastern region fighter squadrons we saw in the second episode than the rest of Yamato Squadron fighters (blue and yellow).

The scene music was a clear update for the Cosmo Tiger theme from the second Yamato film.
Old 2012-07-16, 15:18   Link #739
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

These videos ARE starting to make it seem a bit more plausible why the Gamilons would have trouble dealing with the Yamato despite of their superior numbers.

They bassically have two options for a stand up fight.

A:Take big fleet in formation and charge into Yamato
Result: Wave motion gun annihilates fleet in one shot

B: Disperse fleet enough to not take heavy casualties from the Wave Motion gun
Result:Yamato picks the fleet apart squadron by squadron, practically in one salvo each time. Fleet units are to spread out to support each-other in attacks

It sounds like the Gamilons are going to have to be clever to take the Yamato out. Especially since they're an interstellar empire. That gives them large fleets...but it also means they have lots of commitments everywhere. Their empire can't afford to mobilize fleet after fleet after fleet just to be used as cannon fodder against the Yamato.

Defense's aren't an option either. The Gamilons haven't been preparing fortified bases/cities the way Earth has...and the wave motion gun is far more destructive than planet bombs. The Gamilons could build the greatest planetary or asteroid fortress...and the Yamato could pretty much one shot it with the Wave Motion gun.

still, the Yamato isn't invincible, as this shows. The Gamilons have the means to destroy the Yamato, they just need to be able to get those heavy cumbersome instruments into the right place.

Quote:
A zero-g hanger? Okay that works too.
I love Zero G hangers!

When you think about it, wouldn't it be more efficient to not turn on gravity in the hanger, where it'd only make it harder to move things? In zero G, a guy with magnetic boots can slowly move heavy missles that in 1G would be extremely cumbersome to move.

Just took another look at the first episode, and it's pretty clear this isn't ablative.

While most of the beam is getting * shunted* away from the Gamilon ship, it's very clear that some of it is still getting through to the hull. Notice that even the beam that bounced has been defracted, and is really multiple weaker beams now. It's simply too weak to do any damage. As opposed to the Reflex cannon on the Yamato that was powerful enough that what managed to plow on through caused that secondary explosion.

Now that I really think about it, this is the first visual media sci-fi I've seen where the physics of wacky energy shields could be directly observed.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2012-07-16 at 15:44.
Old 2012-07-16, 17:32   Link #740
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Interestingly a shot from Yamato's Shock Cannons hit about the same spot on the same ship type and does this:

No shield reaction at all and the ship breaks in half.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato