AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2009-03-05, 18:31   Link #1001
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta Gundam View Post
I thought the Red Coat was just like the Top graduates of the military academy or whatever?
It is, Lunamaria obviously stole hers
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 19:08   Link #1002
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Send a message via MSN to M_Flores
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dearka View Post
WAlls of text, but ultimately it is just you saying that "you did not enjoy it". You still claim the producers wanted to make something "believeable" etc. To be honest, I don't even think the creators even got an idea where this show will lead them. Surprisingly, what seemed to be the show just as "half-baked" as it can be, it turned out a huge success. Why? I have no idea.... whether it was pure luck or real Fukuda's talent. Well, to me it is exactly the story that I liked in the first SEED. The way of "escape" you just did not see. I can hardly see the "trying" you claim the creators are guilty of. Everything makes sense to me as a normal viewer. I don't expect them to invent some true way of implementing nuclear reactors in robots or explaining the mobility of humanoid MSes or the intricacies of Mirrage colloid. My bet is just that... you are irritated by the "soapish, dramtic innocent freindship/romance mood" and the fuss it caused in the world of Gundam which for a long time seemed to be more serious and realistic a show. You have the right to think so, though u have to accept many opthers don't share this view
I'm gonna have to agree. And it's exactly what made me like SEED. Because compared to the usual Gundam series, this one seems a lot more fantasy and unreal (like G, and most other AU's). A lot of the dramatic scenes with Freedom, etc. seemed more like 'magic' rather than 'technology' kind of mood.
Since SEED was introduced, I've stopped watching Gundam as a Gundam series. I start watching Gundam as their own stand-alone individual anime.
That's what some people cannot accept. Because it's called Gundam, people think it has to be the same flavour as the previous. I don't blame them and some people find it difficult to accept change, so they will keep comparing every new Gundam series that comes out to UC, etc. etc.

With all due respect, as much as I loved the UC - I think that was all yesterday (not talking about Unicorn). Bring me overpowered, cheesy, flashy mecha with 10+ beam weapons and Master Grade kits.
M_Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 20:07   Link #1003
Aquaman OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
It is, Lunamaria obviously stole hers
Or she's an ace, but just isn't quite hero caliber level. Athrun/Shinn/Kira are a league of their own.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 21:41   Link #1004
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

For Luna, I always thought that her strengths were of the "off the field" type. That's why I had the impression that Red Coats are akin to lower ranked officers in the average army. You got to admit: Luna seems more the paper-pusher type than the troop-leading type. Also, the mini-skirt thing? Not cool at all.
Old 2009-03-05, 21:42   Link #1005
kakakka

Quote:
Also, the mini-skirt thing? Not cool at all.
I never get that too. Did it mention in the series why she's allowed to do that?
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 21:44   Link #1006
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka View Post
I never get that too. Did it mention in the series why she's allowed to do that?
I don't think so. Apparently, being a militia meant that you can get away with turning a decent looking uniform into a fashion disaster. Maybe, her qualities as a paper pusher helped her cook up some excuse.
Old 2009-03-05, 23:17   Link #1007
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
For Luna, I always thought that her strengths were of the "off the field" type. That's why I had the impression that Red Coats are akin to lower ranked officers in the average army.
Red coats are awarded to the top five graduates in a group, if I'm not mistaken.

Considering how universally terrible everyone is at piloting mobile suits in Destiny, having Lunamaria as a red is not far-fetched by any stretch of imagination.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 01:59   Link #1008
Charred Knight

Quote:
For Luna, I always thought that her strengths were of the "off the field" type. That's why I had the impression that Red Coats are akin to lower ranked officers in the average army. You got to admit: Luna seems more the paper-pusher type than the troop-leading type. Also, the mini-skirt thing? Not cool at all.
Their supposed to be ace pilots, for example Dearka used to be one, but he was busted down to green because of his defection to Orb. Though for some reason even though the Black Tri Stars are clearly better pilots than Lunamaria only the leader has a red coat, the rest have green.

Also I agree on the miniskirt. That's basically the equivalent of the Director saying that at no point in time is Lunamaria supposed to be a serious intelligent human being, she is eyecandy and your supposed to look at her legs and her ass. I mean the Director and writer can write intelligent competent women, they just didn't even try with Lunamaria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb View Post
Red coats are awarded to the top five graduates in a group, if I'm not mistaken.

Considering how universally terrible everyone is at piloting mobile suits in Destiny, having Lunamaria as a red is not far-fetched by any stretch of imagination.
I guess your right, as much as I think Britannia from Code Geass is full of incompetent morons, at least their not the Earth Federation. They have one great MS pilot (Neo) and the rest are basically brain dead retards. I mean their three best suits where given to two psychos and a person who was clearly mentally handicapped. Their leader is also a lip stick wearing moron who attacks his own allies for no apparent reason

Zaft is probably about as incompetent as Britannia, massively stupid, and horrible guards but they at least have a couple competent human beings.

In a world where the average IQ is probably around 80 than Lunamaria isn't so farfetched.
Old 2009-03-06, 18:36   Link #1009
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb View Post
Quote:
Since the red coats are earned for having good marks at the Academy, it's not surprising that it doesn't necessarily translate to actual combat performance. For a real world example, Ulysses S. Grant was well-known as mediocre during his stint at West Point, but he was still one of the best generals during the American Civil War.

On the other note, Lunamaria's skirt isn't any worse aesthetically than the tails on the regular red uniforms.
Old 2009-03-06, 19:24   Link #1010
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Since the red coats are earned for having good marks at the Academy, it's not surprising that it doesn't necessarily translate to actual combat performance. For a real world example, Ulysses S. Grant was well-known as mediocre during his stint at West Point, but he was still one of the best generals during the American Civil War.

On the other note, Lunamaria's skirt isn't any worse aesthetically than the tails on the regular red uniforms.
Its more the fact that the skirt sends a message that Lunamaria's isn't supposed to be taken seriously as a soldier.

Compare her style of dress to say Fullmetal Alchemist where all field officers where the same uniform.
Old 2009-03-06, 19:25   Link #1011
Roadie
Banned

Except not everything has to conform to FMA standards?
Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 19:39   Link #1012
4Tran

Quote:
Its more the fact that the skirt sends a message that Lunamaria's isn't supposed to be taken seriously as a soldier.
Chalk it up to cultural differences. There are plenty of examples of military uniform which can look silly or weak to modern eyes. PLANT happens to have a culture where they think that long tails are appropriate attire, and where a fleet commander can feel comfortable going into battle wearing an outright dress. Lunamaria's skirt is only a minor change in the grand scheme of things.

Quote:
Compare her style of dress to say Fullmetal Alchemist where all field officers where the same uniform.
Why? ZAFT has had non-standard uniforms from the very beginning, and why would you want to compare it to another show?
Old 2009-03-06, 19:57   Link #1013
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

The regular red coat had tails? I thought they wore pants?
Old 2009-03-06, 20:12   Link #1014
4Tran

That prominent split in the front of the uniform coat is reminscent of tuxedo tails.
Old 2009-03-06, 20:21   Link #1015
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
Except not everything has to conform to FMA standards?
The point is that Hiromu Arakawa wants you to take Riza Olivier, and Maria seriously. I never got that from Lunamaria who pretty much did nothing but look pretty in skirts.
Old 2009-03-06, 20:43   Link #1016
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
That prominent split in the front of the uniform coat is reminscent of tuxedo tails.
I get what you mean, but I thought tuxedo tails were at the back? That's why I didn't link that split with tuxedo tails.
Old 2009-03-06, 23:05   Link #1017
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Well Luna was always a happy-go-lucky energy-rush. She played that role very well and was better for it. Plus, she kept Shinn in line at least somewhat. She was entertaining, and hey...she survived, didn't she? Which means she's far better than the vast majority of the pilots in the battlefield--plus--SHE SOLOED A DESTROY!!! So don't be knocking her

As for the coats, I never got that idea. Also since when did a ZAFT commander ever wear a dress? Since when did ZAFT ever have a female commander to begin with? Lacus doesn't count. She stole the Eternal, remember. Though I gotta admit...

WHO THE FUCK PAINTS A BATTLESHIP PINK?!
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 00:04   Link #1018
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post

WHO THE FUCK PAINTS A BATTLESHIP PINK?!
Good point... The Eternal should have been painted red... 3X the speed!
Old 2009-03-07, 08:24   Link #1019
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I suspect the Lacus fanboys among the ZAFT techies who built the ship slipped in the suggestion on the plans, and like Luna's skirt, it got approved.
Old 2009-03-09, 01:08   Link #1020
Dan the Man
Defeater of Robot Masters
*Artist

Location: Wherever YOU aren't. Thanks for not visiting... *Sniff*
Send a message via AIM to Dan the Man Send a message via MSN to Dan the Man
Quote:
Also, the mini-skirt thing? Not cool at all.
It's actually a result of a severe rationing of pants among Zaft. They had plenty of pairs of pants until Destiny started, then they lost a pair or two somewhere or another...

Quote:
Of course... Had Mustang had his way, all female officers would be like Lunamaria, wearing tiny miniskirts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratoSpear View Post
Good point... The Eternal should have been painted red... 3X the speed!
YES!!

Of course, you could always say it isn't pink, it's lightish-red.

-----Chicks dig giant robots------
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote