AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-10, 15:12   Link #481
Theowne
耳をすませば

Up to episode 22, and very much still love the show. It's been a long time since I had that "just one more episode" feeling with an anime, so that's something.

For the musically inclined, I've done sheet music for two of the show's piano tunes that didn't seem to be available online. You can grab them off my website:

http://omohide.com/3049/sheet-music-...no-souja-erin/

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-19, 07:30   Link #482
Theowne
耳をすませば

Just passed episode 40. Wow. Hard to believe I was complaining that Cross Game was underrated while at the same time this show was quietly airing. Even I would not have imagined the events of episode 39 and 43 being portrayed as brutally frank as they were. The only thing I am still hoping for is for the Mist People to become involved in the plot in a significant way by the end, as they were always one of the most interesting parts of the story for me. I've also appreciated the understated bond between Ial and Erin throughout the length of the series.

Unless something extremely strange happens, giving this show another look was a very good decision.

Last edited by Theowne; 2011-07-19 at 11:29.
Old 2011-07-20, 12:49   Link #483
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Was going to comment on your blog but since you posted here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Just passed episode 40. Wow. Hard to believe I was complaining that Cross Game was underrated while at the same time this show was quietly airing.
It's really a shame that this show didn't manage to get the same amount of attention as Cross Game had back in '09. I can only hope that IG get around to animating the sequel we can all chip in to get it more recognition.
Quote:
Even I would not have imagined the events of episode 39 and 43 being portrayed as brutally frank as they were. The only thing I am still hoping for is for the Mist People to become involved in the plot in a significant way by the end, as they were always one of the most interesting parts of the story for me. I've also appreciated the understated bond between Ial and Erin throughout the length of the series.
I don't want to discuss the overall plot of the show in detail just yet, at least until you finish the show. But I will say that what still amazes me about this show is how honest it is in not only it's central message, but just about everything about it. Things like Jon's semi agnostic views, Erin's desires, the Schools decision to break away from their traditional teachings to embrace their scientific ideals, and even down to how even when raising Lilan might be more humane, it still makes her unable to return to the wild. And like you said, the brutal honesty of how despite Erin's dream, Lilan is still ultimately a Beast, and no matter how close the two get, she is still a danger to other humans. But we'll get to see how that plays out at the last stretch

Where this show really impresses me is that the amount of thought and clarity in the story is something that you find rarely not only in children anime, but also in anime aimed at adults or heck even normal shows or movies. This is really a well crafted story, with a strong female lead that champions a good message, but faces some actual dilemmas and problems that aren't simply waved off with her coming out in the right. In fact, by the end, Erin realizes that her dream, no matter how beautiful it is for Humans to live in complete harmony with nature without the two harming each other, is still a dream.
Quote:
Unless something extremely strange happens, giving this show another look was a very good decision.
The series isn't going to let up at this point
Old 2011-07-20, 20:02   Link #484
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Was going to comment on your blog but since you posted hereIt's really a shame that this show didn't manage to get the same amount of attention as Cross Game had back in '09. I can only hope that IG get around to animating the sequel we can all chip in to get it more recognition.
Not so sure I want that, if I remember the spoilers correctly the sequels had an incredibly depressing ending and I'd like to pretend that it doesn't exist actually. But I agree that people at least knew about Cross Game when it was airing, when CR announced the stream I tried out the show, liked it, and then went to find fansubs to cover the gap (CR didn't have all the episodes at the time) and I really had to hunt around to find them, it was definitely one of the most obscure shows of the year.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 10:12   Link #485
Theowne
耳をすませば

Will have a full review up on my website later, but for now, here are some quick thoughts:

The series overall was excellent enough to go on my favourites list, though I found the ending only "good" (by that I mean the final resolution - the ending arc itself was also excellent overall). The "rescue" scene between Lilan/Erin was, of course, done exceptionally. Despite having a feeling that it would happen, the creators caught me off-guard with their execution, so kudos for that. The way Erin was woven into the mythological artwork towards the end was also beautiful.

What I would have liked is greater closure with the Mist People (whose role in the story I appear to have overestimated, perhaps due to my enthusiasm at the idea of Erin reconnecting with lost "roots") or even with her childhood village. I would have preferred to see more of what happens with her/Lilan/Ial/etc immediately after the climax rather than the "20 years later" sort of scene (which, to be fair, I have never liked the concept of altogether).

However, in the grand scheme of things, these are relatively minor qualms. It was a beautifully-told and warm story, and the first time in a long while I've truly become attached to a character/world in anime. Again, thanks to those who've recommended it to me in various places - I should have followed up on it sooner.

On a side note, I like Erin's voice actor in the latter half, whose voice I found very distinctive, with a tinge of heaviness that worked very well with the story. It wasn't the sort of voice acting you hear a lot in anime.

Finally, I suppose I sound like a broken record by now, but I still find it hard to accept how little popularity this show seems to have achieved, particularly when I look at the size of this thread and compare it to the size of threads for *insert random 13 episode comedy here*. It seems to have simply aired its 50-episode story quietly for an year than retreated, which is really a shame. I suppose I have a new benchmark for "underrated".

Last edited by Theowne; 2011-07-24 at 10:25.
Old 2011-07-24, 13:26   Link #486
Gooral
Banned

I think one of the reasons why it wasn't very popular is because many people dropped the series before they've reached 8th episode. And for the first 7 episodes it was rather boring (for me it was boring for about 3 episodes and then I found myself liking it, after 8th episode I became a fan). Many people thought it was about ecology or animal taming or sth like that and didn't see a reason to continue. It was also anime directed for kids (although older audience would find it interesting too, maybe even more), without having kameha-meha or kage bunshin no jutsu techniques or (naked) boobs. I know some people like that also. All in all, older people (like me) to enjoy it would have to not have their inner child killed and know how to enjoy uncomplicated, warm and toughing story. Unfortunately there aren't that many people like that any more. Now I see that people prefer to watch loli-killers (Madoka, Higurashi) or erotic scenes instead of family shows. Which is sad actually and shows that instead of evolving we have devolving and people are getting more primitive and have lower standards with each year.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 14:00   Link #487
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral
Many people thought it was about ecology or animal taming or sth like that and didn't see a reason to continue.
I suppose I can understand that. When I first started the series, I enjoyed it for what it was but was hesitant to invest 50 episodes worth of time based on what I'd seen of the initial episodes alone. It was only after more comments from others (whose taste usually match mine) that I committed to giving it more time. This is probably where a more vocal fanbase or online presence would have really helped - in convincing people that there is indeed something even greater lying beyond those initial gentle episodes before they hastily dropped it.

P.S. - Novel translations available in French and German, yet not English, is unfortunate. Were the forecasts for the English market this poor?

Old 2011-07-25, 08:06   Link #488
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
On a side note, I like Erin's voice actor in the latter half, whose voice I found very distinctive, with a tinge of heaviness that worked very well with the story. It wasn't the sort of voice acting you hear a lot in anime.
Erin is voiced by Hoshii Nanase. It was her first performance as a seiyuu, but she's appeared in a number of J-dramas and is also a singing idol. (That bleached blonde look is pretty far removed from her "normal" appearance, if there is a such a thing.)

I thought she did a remarkable job of modulating her performance to match Erin's maturation.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 23:28   Link #489
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
I suppose I can understand that. When I first started the series, I enjoyed it for what it was but was hesitant to invest 50 episodes worth of time based on what I'd seen of the initial episodes alone. It was only after more comments from others (whose taste usually match mine) that I committed to giving it more time. This is probably where a more vocal fanbase or online presence would have really helped - in convincing people that there is indeed something even greater lying beyond those initial gentle episodes before they hastily dropped it.
Cross Game took everything I had during that time. And unfortunately its current champion, Guardian Enzo didn't get to watch it till much later.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 11:14   Link #490
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Well, must say that was actually pretty good series. Sure there's some... let's say, 'confusing' things like Mist People don't really have powers over beasts (then how did Soyon save Erin?), how gullible Seimiya was (especially when she had linked Erin already towards the 'traitor Ial'), and the hypocrisy of Erin (I will never use whistle/beasts for war! No, never! >_>).... but overall it was a very enjoyable and entertaining series as a whole.

But man, first 7 or 8 episodes was BORING as hell (kinda like my favourite anime of all time, 12 Kingdoms in which it took that long to establish the 'hook'). Main reason why it took me like 2 years to cover them, but episode 8 and on was golden and marathoned it in 2 days. If it weren't for the fact that my friend keeps on dangling the carrot in front of me ("There's not one, not two, but 3 childhood couples, I swear!"), I'd never would've finished this series.

Overall, a highly recommended series for those who like an epic fantasy anime series that takes itself seriously. Very much unlike what is usually shown today, and I hope they'd show more things like these, because I know 12 Kingdoms (which is very much like this series in terms of atmosphere and themes) won't be going to be finished anytime soon.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 18:53   Link #491
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Just began this series and I am delightedly surprised ... it looks to be very good thus far. Many thanks to SeijiSensei for recommended it in another thread. btw

Edit: I just finished ep 15 (of 50 eps). It is STUPENDOUS thus far.

Highly recommended!

Last edited by Flower; 2011-10-26 at 21:53.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 16:47   Link #492
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Finally completed the series.

Wow....

Just my style! Thanks again for recommending this one Seiji!
Old 2011-12-20, 05:01   Link #493
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It was an excellent series, although it could have been a bit shorter in some cases. Yes, I know what happened to her mommy, you told me 64363463 times already.

On the good side, Erin's a good character and showing her growth as will as her relationship with Lilian is great storytelling. And the little beast lord is cute too.

And it looks like Erin will have children of her own.

Soundtrack is really good. Insert songs were nice, and all OPs/EDs were of very high quality. Love the lyrics!

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 05:18   Link #494
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
It was an excellent series, although it could have been a bit shorter in some cases. Yes, I know what happened to her mommy, you told me 64363463 times already.

On the good side, Erin's a good character and showing her growth as will as her relationship with Lilian is great storytelling. And the little beast lord is cute too.

And it looks like Erin will have children of her own.

Soundtrack is really good. Insert songs were nice, and all OPs/EDs were of very high quality. Love the lyrics!
Agreed! For me the growth of slow, steady and clear growth of Erin's character is prolly the best part of this series - and that is saying much, since there is so much to it that is so well done.

Iirc the last few moments of the last ep show at least one child: a boy named Jesse, who is ... well, I won't harp on that here: no spoilers after all, right?

Really good overall - wish it would get more "love" than it does.
Old 2012-08-10, 02:39   Link #495
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Good Show. I am watching this non-stop, even putting my "Weekly Download" anime on Hold. Currently at episode 20.

EDIT

Finished the show, I love how the heroine wasn't the answer to everything and she has less control of the situation. The bond between the God Beast and Eren was so lovely. I have to say its better than a romance between 2 humans.

Kind of sad to see this over, because the viewer really gets close to Eren at age 10 and slowly all the way to motherhood.

Last edited by vansonbee; 2012-08-13 at 12:28.
vansonbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-25, 17:49   Link #496
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Thought folks might find this interesting about the author of the novels that served as the source material for this series and Moribito - Guardians of the Spirit:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...n-author-award
Old 2015-03-17, 01:03   Link #497
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Tonight I started re-watching the series on Crunchyroll. I didn't watch their version the first time around. I found myself being struck all over again by what an exceptional character Erin is - intelligent and inquisitive without being an annoying, stereotypical precocious whiz-kid. She doesn't know everything instantly. She has to put all the clues together in her head in order to figure things out. That's all too rare.

I also noticed how tired and sad Soyon look, and just like Erin, it's right from the beginning. She has probably already made up her mind to do what she's going to do.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-24, 22:55   Link #498
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

While going down memory lane I found this reinterpretation of the opening theme, Shizuku by Sukima Switch (the first people who sang it from ep 1-30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou6U...UgcE5RApYAks9Q

The video was uploaded by Youtube's automated content generation algorithm so I think it should be safe to post, but I'll happy to remove it if that's not the case.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-17, 20:38   Link #499
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

After years of periodically checking around the net, I have found a very detailed synopsis of the third and fourth books in the series.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LightNovels...34_a_detailed/

Make sure you unhide all the comments, because a good bit of the story is in them.

I'm still not happy with the ending. I must admit, though, that a more detailed and nuanced explanation places it in context and gives it more meaning than the short version that's been bouncing around the net all this time. Also there's an epilogue that makes up for some of it and adds a more hopeful secondary meaning to the story.

They just did a great job adapting the Moribito books, but I don't see how they'd ever adapt these. It would break the NHK budget.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-18, 09:02   Link #500
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Looked to me like they had plenty of money for the Moribito adaptation. I haven't watched Erin in quite some time, but I don't recall sequences any more expensive to film than the attack on the mountain king's fortress or the assault on that castle in New Yogo.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, production i.g.