AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

View Poll Results: Which will you buy?
Playstation 3 88 49.72%
Revolution 63 35.59%
X-Box 360 8 4.52%
All three of them 18 10.17%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2005-12-20, 20:42   Link #21
Yuiichi
Retired.

Personally, I like all 3. I'm considering buying all 3 as well (but I don't know if my wallet will agree).

The only one I'm hesitant on getting earlier on in the game is the PS3 - it's going to be pretty expensive from what I hear.

Oh well... it also depends on the games. I might forego getting one or all 3 if no good games surface.
Yuiichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-20, 21:06   Link #22
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Has there been any news of games that will be system release for PS3 and Revolution. I only know of SSBM for Revolution.
________
HERBALAIRE REVIEWS

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 07:38.
Itachikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-20, 21:14   Link #23
Taylor--
!

I gave revolution my vote, just for trying something new. To Nintendo, it's not about the specs and how powerful their machine is... It's all about the games. I usually always enjoy Nintendo's titles (Mario platformers, Zelda, Metroid, and the Mario RPG's) I hope they can make the games play great with the new controller.

Anyways, I'll still more then likely get the ps3 because that's where alot of the good RPG's and platformers. The occasional good third person shooter game come on the PS's too :P

As for FPS's, I've got the trusty PC here for those :P

Xbox, I dunno. It depends what games they bring out, but I doubt they'll have too much Japanese support and most console games I play are from Japan. I'm really interested in Xbox Live though...

Last edited by Taylor--; 2005-12-26 at 03:03.
Taylor-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 01:10   Link #24
Syn13
Sui Yein Ng 13

The PS3 and Revolution is starting to remind of the current PSP vs DS thing right now.
Although IMO DS is doing much better than the PSP but it looks like they are going through the same path.
Revolution - Lower specs, innovative new way to play games, plays past console games, mainly for games.
PS3 - High specs, higher capacity storage media, multi-purpose system, backwards compatibility(unlike PSP because its new in it's market) and somebody will most likely find a way to modify the system.

The only hunch that I have that Sony will probably do better(i'm not sure about that) is that Sony always has a big titles/developers behind it...Price tag aside.

The thing that I don't like about the PS3 is the price tag(Gonna be expensive!!) and the controller design, if the ps3 controller is the same button layout as PS2, gonna get a adaptor for my PS2 controller and use it on PS3 if it works.
Syn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 01:47   Link #25
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
Out of these three, PS3 is the best option once the mod-chips come out prices drop. Have to see what new games it gets, too.
Actually, I am hoping that the PS3 won't need a mod chip. The PSP was region free. That may have been indicitive of a new policy at Sony. Perhaps they intend to make the PS3 region free as well.

As far as I know, they haven't released any information about this yet.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 02:36   Link #26
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Whoa region free...one can dream though.

Still, I dont see why these game consoles have to create THREE differenct regions..NTSC/J ; NTSC/UC, and PAL. I think it would be much easier to make it region free.

I think that although the PSP is region free with games, dont forget that its competing with the DS, which is also region free. So basically, if the PSP wasnt region free, it wouldnt have much sales.

The Revolution would be the best, re-living Chrono Trigger, Ice Climbers, SNES Mario series, Im getting too excited over this.

Dont forget, that even though the PS3 will be coming out during Spring/Summer 2006 and Revolution for Thanksgiving 2006. People tend to forget the games that are coming out during that year, such as Final Fantasy 12 (PS2), Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2), Legend of Zelda (GC), Metroid (DS), Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (DS), Gran Turismo 4 (PSP), Killzone (PSP), and many more....
________
SUZUKI GSX-R1100

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 07:39.
Old 2005-12-21, 13:39   Link #27
Yoska
フランキー

Nintendo's handhelds has always been region free, right? But handhelds are a bit special, they don't struggle from having to work with two different television standarts.

Which will get to my next awesome point: a good while ago I gave away my 28' inched brainwasher. It's lame how you have to have a television of any sort, HD or not, to get full enjoyment from a console. Boo! Now I'll have to ask it back or buy a new once Revolution comes out. And you know how I hate buying...

But, yeah, I think I'll buy a Revolution anyway. It just fit me the best. The other two looks cool too but I wouldn't have money or time to play all of them. I do hope the market shares will be more equal this time around though. So it wouldn't be just Sony being a self proclaimed ruler and N and Bill being two pity midgets, fools, quarreling on it's feets. Yet I doubt a change. But anything can still happen. Nobody won't rule forever - neither didn't Rome, neither didn't Nintendo.

A tad bit of off topic but I kind of fail to see how Gamecube was a failure. And I hear it a lot. It wasn't a huge succeed, perhaps it was the worst of the three but worldwide sale figures were okey and if Nintendo is to believed they actually didn't take a hit everytime they sold an unit unlike Sony and Microsoft did and still do.
Yoska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 16:03   Link #28
Syn13
Sui Yein Ng 13

Actually I don't really know the specifics of the Gamecube sales but its a good system, I'm guessing its because people says it has a "kiddy" image but actually my game list I have aren't really kiddy for single player titles and the multiplayer games are top notch which is great because I happen to have alot of friends to come over and play + connectivity between the GBA and GCN as a controller was sometimes a life saver lol!
Old 2005-12-21, 16:56   Link #29
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Actually, I am hoping that the PS3 won't need a mod chip. The PSP was region free. That may have been indicitive of a new policy at Sony. Perhaps they intend to make the PS3 region free as well.

As far as I know, they haven't released any information about this yet.
They have, as of today it's official that bluray discs will be region encoded. Not surprising, since Sony is trying to push bluray into the industry and control the new home video market. They're still upset about Betamax, it seems.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 17:12   Link #30
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn13
Actually I don't really know the specifics of the Gamecube sales but its a good system, I'm guessing its because people says it has a "kiddy" image but actually my game list I have aren't really kiddy for single player titles and the multiplayer games are top notch which is great because I happen to have alot of friends to come over and play + connectivity between the GBA and GCN as a controller was sometimes a life saver lol!
GO turn on your Gamecube while holding down the Z button then you might see why people say that about the Gamecube. However they do produce some good games.
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 17:23   Link #31
Syn13
Sui Yein Ng 13

OMG LOL! WTF is that haha! Sqeeky sounds + kids laughing on the GCN startup screen?? nice one
Old 2005-12-21, 21:46   Link #32
Taylor--
!

I don't see how that would make the Gamecube seem kiddy... It was just an easter egg.
Taylor-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 00:55   Link #33
TTHX

I just bought a gamecube recently. And just because it has a broader aim towards a broader audience doesn't mean that it's kiddy. It's a great system with quite a few great games. Plus it's so cheap, you'd have to be nuts not to get it for either the Mario games, Metroid, or Zelda.

I'll most likely be getting the Revolution, I really want to see how this new gameplay this is going to work. Looks really cool.

And, I'll get a PS3 for the uber graphics and power and multimedia.
TTHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 01:49   Link #34
Tommy Feb6
Lonely in Gorgeous, Yeah~

I think I have the answer.

It's a simple mathematical equation.

Basically...

PS3 * Revolution * Xbox - 360

We just have to find out the numeric values for ps, revolution and xbox.

A revolution is one turn. Therefore in radians it is 2pi.

ps3 can determined by finding ps2. Dividing that by 2 so you can find out what ps is and then multiply that by 3.

But honestly.... staying on topic.

I personally like the Revolution. The DS has shown me that Nintendo knows how to innovate.

Like this....

PS2 = 149.99
ps2/2 = 149.99/2
149.99/2 = ps

74.995 = ps

Xbox turns out to be 179.99 (my numbers could be incorrect.)

So we plug all our numbers into the orginal equation like this.

(74.99500 * 3 * 2 * pi * 179.99)

And we get the answer of 254 437.904

Or to the correct sig digs, 2.54x 10^5
Tommy Feb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 01:53   Link #35
Syn13
Sui Yein Ng 13

I remember seeing a commercial online of ideas on how people will play games on the Revolution. The ideas were neat, I remember seeing Tennis, Cooking, Conductor(music), drums, baseball, fishing, dentist, Mario, shooting, fly swapping and etc...There's no footage of the games but just people playing showing off the possibilities of the games.
Old 2005-12-22, 02:09   Link #36
Lumir

Bottom line is that the sony company has the best quality in almost everything. I will stick with a ps3 simply because xbox 360 is a sad attempt to stay up to date with only games to support it. As for the revolution i have nothing bad to say about it. Nintendo has always dilivered somthing new and fun.

I seriously predict sony will dominate this console war due to the fact that sony is not just hardcore graphics/power. As i see it sony is a multi type company that gose for console power and new ideas, and they balance the two.

For nintendo i see them completely focused on new ideas, and are lenient tword power/graphics resulting in not the best but not bad.

The xbox its still new to the gamming world and has alot to learn through experience. xbox360 is just simply a more powerful system with nothing new about it worth noticing.
Old 2005-12-22, 02:31   Link #37
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Revolution. Nothing beats Smash Bros. Online or Fire Emblem 10. Also, Nintendo might bring some visual novel type games over (as evidenced by DS's lawyer game and Trace Memory) which I like, enough of the Madden and FPS clones.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 04:00   Link #38
xxxplizit
triple-echhi

Send a message via AIM to xxxplizit Send a message via MSN to xxxplizit Send a message via Yahoo to xxxplizit
Here are my thoughts:

Microsoft XBox360 sold very well all around the world except for Japan. This system was the first to take advantage of HDTV's and the first of the Next-Generation consoles, meaning it gets a head start. Microsoft had made a dramatic impact comparison from its predecessor with a more feel-good controller (first XBox controller blows), massive support with XBox Live, the sexy hourglass shape, the strong business hold in the Market in terms of non-japanese related support, simple development kits, and the fact that it is supportive with PC's and other USB-related peripherals. The biggest downfalls that the system had is the newly aquired glitches and problems it currently has, reasoning why specific 360's are shipped back. Another downlfall is that it does NOT prove anything else new., meaning less ways to expand the video game market. Power? It is basically the same power as a high-end PC, which can be a problem when tryin to fight the colossal PS3 which is superior hardware-wise. Another bad news is that Microsoft decides to drop the HD-DVD formats, meaning they are stuck with standard DVDs. Is it a big problem? Yes, because the amount of room space needed to pump HD itself is a healthy amount and DVD's may be a tad too short to do so. Spending 2 standard DVD's just in case is One of the biggest problems with Microsoft's new system is that it doesn't acquire the needed amount of Japanese developers who make up most of the Video Game industry. Not that I am saying that it is a requirement, but less support equals trouble attracting others from the competition. Of course, its launch wasn't too impressive, the same reason why XBox almost failed as a product until Halo alone saved their @sses. The games is where it is supposed to deliver because THAT is where they are supposed to make their money. Every system they sell loese their revenue because it costs around $100 more in production than to sell. Accessories are about even in capita. The only hyped game is has is PDZ and Kameo. Overall, it doesn't deliver more exclusive content as some or most of the stuff are released in other systems or not new. Only time will tell if Microsoft will survive this battle. It will do pretty well mainly for its "Microsoft" Logo (IMO where the OS's make their money) and Bill Gates's business tactics, but can it take tops against the heavier competition?

The Playstation 3? We all know it's going to sell. Sony had the ability to dethrone Nintendo in the past when both companies had major conflicts with each other. Though Sony is going to gamble on every PS3 sold (yes they may lose more than $150 per sold system), their games will make up for their revenue just as how their PS1 and PS2 has sold more games than any other system, making it the the #1 system in the video game business. The main reason is because of the heavy support from big third-party companies like SquareSoft, Konami, and Capcom. However, that does not mean they Sony has a perfect system. One of the biggest problems it has so far is that it currently has problems hardware-wise. I would assume this will be fixed before it ships in as they are well known for having fragile equipment (PSP is no exception to this). Of course, the biggest challenge that the PS3 face is the distribution of the Blu-Ray. The Blu-Ray, though space-intense and efficient enough to withstand the data the PS3 will pump, isn't as popular to the consuming market yet (not many devices are released with Blu-Ray support) and is very expensive to produce both production-wise and retail. But because the blu-ray readers are capable of raading DVD's and CD's, expect it to have decent compatibility unlike the PSP's UMD's which are inefficient market-wise. Of course, the controller itself has given laughs to those calling it the 'boomerang'. However, with the amount of success that Sony has in the PS3's cutting edge technology (yes it's the most poweful of the three systems) and the dominant market share around the world, its label itself is destined to sell regardless. But at this day of age, can it still deem itself as #1 in the console market? Can Ken Kutaragi deliver his divine creation?

Revolution, on the other hand, will be one that will step up into going the extra mile with its new innovation with its controller. The biggest advantage that this system has is that it comes with a very affordable price ($200 on system and less than $50 on games) and profits overall. Rather than the standard 12-14 buttons, it takes another direction of playing games just like how the DS reinvents handhelds. Shall this open new doors to creative developers? I believe so. If not, then Nintendo games can make up for it as the quality that Nintendo delivers exceed people's expectations with successful new innovation and top-notch standards especially by the game guru himself, Shigeru Miyamoto. The only thing is the amount of developers who are willing to go that mile and the development kits along with it as production, though not expensive, takes more time to develop and possibly more difficult. In addition, not only will it standard DVD's in its production, but it is the least powerful of the three systems which can be a disadvantage to those who demand intense graphics. Not that I am saying that the Revolution won't deliver such as it depends on the developers to pump that much power, but many people can't live without their HD. Also, many spread rumors about Nintendo being a child image, which can drawback the older audiences, but it seems more like a stereotype than what is in truth (see RE4 for Gamecube par se). Reggie Fils-Aime and Iwata have shown some strong premises for ths upcoming system considering how much criticism they have taken from Nintendo's previous designs, the Gamecube and the DS. With the reputation the Gamecube has build up compared to the N64 (great system but was overwhelmed by the PS1/PS2) and the success of the DS (currently beating PSP), only time will tell if this 'innovation' will sell, and I feel that IS what games are meant to be played: "To be played like games". The only thing is, while it straws away from the mainstreamed way of playing games, can it create that "Revolution" and blow the competition away from the bigger behemoths like Sony and Microsoft?

Of course, all three systems support the following features:
-Online play.
-Wireless controllers.

It's really a tough decision, but I would buy the Revolution mainly cuz of budget issues plus I entrust their reputation since the 80's. PS3 looks nice as it has the most power. XBox360 is sold out and won't come out til the PS3 is launched.
Old 2005-12-22, 04:15   Link #39
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn13
I remember seeing a commercial online of ideas on how people will play games on the Revolution. The ideas were neat, I remember seeing Tennis, Cooking, Conductor(music), drums, baseball, fishing, dentist, Mario, shooting, fly swapping and etc...There's no footage of the games but just people playing showing off the possibilities of the games.
Best part was in the end, when this guy was playing, sounds like Zelda, with the whole sword play. That was kick ass.

xxx: The only reason why Im getting the PS3 is to fill up my time for the Revolution to come out. Also, me pre-ordering/purchasing on the release date all depends on what games come out with the PS3, which I havent heard much about. We already know that SSBM, with online feature , will come out with the Revolution, which is my TOP priorty to purchase ASAP. Overall, I think this competition is between PS3 x Revolution and the game god himself, Shigeru Miyamoto behind the wheel, more Nintendo goodness.
________
Vaporizer Instructions

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 07:43.
Old 2005-12-22, 12:01   Link #40
Ending

@ Sync13 and co.

Sure, sure... "It wasn't kiddy and it was a good console" -and pigs fly. But there is no reason to repeat what I have already argumented succesfully HERE. Pretty long (if interesting) reading, though, so don't tell you weren't warned.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote