AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-26, 00:06   Link #981
monster

Hmm, not a bad ending overall, though I didn't particularly care for Mako and Korra's relationship. I would've preferred it if Aang had just appeared but not given Korra her bending back, still I'm okay with it as well. Finally, while I also would've liked to see Amon and Tarlock get a chance at a fresh start, if they have to die, that was probably the best way to do it.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 02:18   Link #982
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post

edit: And after that long rant they just announced another comic series focusing on Zuko's mom

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=39354
Best part about that interview is that it focuses on Zuko and AZULA. God, that psychopath needs a return to the spotlight.

And thank goodness for less Gaang. I'm slightly put off that Sokka and Toph aren't going to be featured heavily, but if it means I get to see less of Katara, I'm all for this sequel.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 05:55   Link #983
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Wow that ending was just: wow. While some characters really bogged the series because of some really terrible romance, my god was the plot of this series amazing.
Old 2012-06-26, 08:15   Link #984
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
Best part about that interview is that it focuses on Zuko and AZULA. God, that psychopath needs a return to the spotlight.
Can't wait! Azula was and still is my favorite character in the series! And she is the one about whom I want to know more... did she stay crazy for the rest of her life in a cage or did she get some kind of redemption? Did she meet her mother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post

And the series makes it out that Korra losing her bending is so horrible, when Asami just got dumped and had her father try to kill her. It certainly doesn't help matters.

It also really doesn't help when the rest of the characters are so flat. I am fine with Bolin being comic relief...but why can't he be more than that. All the characters in ATLA could make me laugh hysterically, but I cared about them all deeply as well & they all grew as characters.

Mako as I said previously is just the worst because the story doesn't even acknowledge that he is doing anything wrong. Instead he has two girls after him (and I can't even explain it) and somehow gets to be a great fighter.

And the whole romance thing with Korra/Mako/Asami was just horrible. It's just the worst possible love triangle. We don't even really see why Mako & Korra care about each other, before they jump into a triangle. Why not develop the relationships between the characters first and then start on a romance, but to start it off with a love triangle immediately is just silly.

Those actually were my main complaints.
Mako is an ass and series don't show it. And people wonder why there are so many douchbags and blind around.
Korra losing her bending is sad but as you yourself said, others had it worse. Actually these last 2 episodes killed all the sympathy I had for Korra =/
Bolin became almost none existent after his episode with Korra.
Old 2012-06-26, 09:32   Link #985
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Can't wait! Azula was and still is my favorite character in the series! And she is the one about whom I want to know more... did she stay crazy for the rest of her life in a cage or did she get some kind of redemption? Did she meet her mother?

Those actually were my main complaints.
Mako is an ass and series don't show it. And people wonder why there are so many douchbags and blind around.
Korra losing her bending is sad but as you yourself said, others had it worse. Actually these last 2 episodes killed all the sympathy I had for Korra =/
Bolin became almost none existent after his episode with Korra.
Korra losing her bending was the equivalent of someone getting their arm chopped off, though. A very important part of her was removed.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 10:16   Link #986
kitten320

^She still had air in her disposal while 100s of bender had nothing left at all. Now that's called hand chopping.

Ling lost everything she ever had. To her bending was a link to mother as well because of the feel through feet and she was robbed of it! She lost her job too. Has she locked herself up? No, she is still the same.

Korra lost fire, water and earth bending but she gained the rarest bending: Air. And she got Mako who cares and supports her. She still can bend and do most of stuff she used to. Air bending allows her to create air wacums, it bursts, it flows... it is a big mix of other elements

Asami lost her whole family and boyfriend about whom she cared a lot. She lost everything without gaining anything in return and she never once complained and was worried about others Korra included. At least she has some friends.

Sorry, but no matter how you look at it, Korra's lose was not the greatest. Just because she is a main chara doesn't mean she has to get everything and others nothing.

That's why I didn't like the finale. Yes it was a shock factor at first which is understandable but I have a feeling that it would have lasted for a long time if Aang did not step in.
Korra was always over the top with being an Avatar, letting her cool her head down would've been a good lesson and would allow her to actually develop and relate to others and as Avatar it is important.
Old 2012-06-26, 14:53   Link #987
Awrya
U mad?

I expected Amon taking Korra's bending away, but at least 3 times, for water, earth and fire, but he did it all at one, okay.

I really did like how she manages to air bend once she was driven into a corner and had no other elements to rely on, it follows the principle of air bending pretty well (consider all possibilities and then choosing the optimal one).

Mako is a waste of space, he dumps Korra for Azami, then dumps her for Korra. If only Korra rejected him in the last episode, the ending would rise by one star.
Old 2012-06-26, 20:24   Link #988
monster

The only thing I'm still curious about is the real nature of Amon's ability. I get that he's somehow bloodbending, but if Korra could still airbend, what exactly did Amon do?

If it's just a matter manipulating the flow of chi, as someone previously mentioned, then Korra shouldn't be able to airbend at all.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 20:38   Link #989
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
^She still had air in her disposal while 100s of bender had nothing left at all. Now that's called hand chopping.

Ling lost everything she ever had. To her bending was a link to mother as well because of the feel through feet and she was robbed of it! She lost her job too. Has she locked herself up? No, she is still the same.

Korra lost fire, water and earth bending but she gained the rarest bending: Air. And she got Mako who cares and supports her. She still can bend and do most of stuff she used to. Air bending allows her to create air wacums, it bursts, it flows... it is a big mix of other elements

Asami lost her whole family and boyfriend about whom she cared a lot. She lost everything without gaining anything in return and she never once complained and was worried about others Korra included. At least she has some friends.

Sorry, but no matter how you look at it, Korra's lose was not the greatest. Just because she is a main chara doesn't mean she has to get everything and others nothing.

That's why I didn't like the finale. Yes it was a shock factor at first which is understandable but I have a feeling that it would have lasted for a long time if Aang did not step in.
Korra was always over the top with being an Avatar, letting her cool her head down would've been a good lesson and would allow her to actually develop and relate to others and as Avatar it is important.
She's not the Avatar if she's just an airbender. That was kinda the point. Korra places a lot of importance on being the Avatar. Aang was a lot less gung-ho about it. To you or me, it doesn't seem that bad, but from her perspective, she lost the very thing that defined who she is.
Old 2012-06-26, 22:40   Link #990
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
The whole 'mother' thing has been such a tease that the writers have had a lot of sick fun with. That said, as much as I'd love to finally get that story, it's almost become a meme within the Avatar universe, and I sometimes wonder if the mother story is best left untold, because of it.

It's like the cabbage cart -> Cabbage Corp. I'm not sure that meme would be as good if they decided to tell us the story of how that actually occurred.

I'm also hoping Azula did get to move on with her life. She didn't get an epilogue like almost every other character did at the end of the Last Airbender, which made me so sad.

She'd also be a great choice for somehow telling the story of the mother, because that relationship was quite possibly one of the key reasons Azula turned out the way she did. When they were on that beach retreat, and having that heart to heart talk among the four of them, how could you not feel yourself go 'aww' over her comments regarding her mother? I always felt far more sympathy for her, than Zuko.

Lastly, she may have gone off the deep end at the end, but there's no way she'd have been content sitting in some jail for the rest of her life.

As for Korra herself (not the show), I think she was a fine character. Almost great even. Which is completely separate from my opinions on how they ended the first season, or why after showing such savvy and spunk when she first encountered the two brothers in the whole girl-meets-boy(s) sort of way, she turned into such a simpering idiot over Mako. What is it about chiseled-faced heroes? Maybe he dies during the offseason, and we get Korra back as the strong, self-confident woman who doesn't need Mako's strong arms. On a less(?) serious note, Katara did end up with Ang, rather than Zuko, so there's always hope they don't end up pairing Mako the stereotypical superman figure with Korra. A little hope.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 22:51   Link #991
Destined_Fate

They wont kill Mako off screen. He's actually pretty popular with the kids, they don't want to make Korra emo, and he's handsome so yeah... If anyone would die off screen it would be Bolin or Asami and even that's unlikely. They have no reason to kill any of the main cast off before Book 2 starts so why would they even bother?
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 23:31   Link #992
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
..we get Korra back as the strong, self-confident woman who doesn't need Mako's strong arms. On a less(?) serious note, Katara did end up with Ang, rather than Zuko, so there's always hope they don't end up pairing Mako the stereotypical superman figure with Korra. A little hope.
Everybody needs somebody. Besides, there's more to Mako's body besides his arms.

Nah, we have the couple. Zutara fans were pissed enough. The produces prob don't want to piss them off more. That angry, crying kid on YouTube prob sent chills up the producers' spine. They don't need to have parents not letting their kids watch the show for fear that incident repeating itself after an episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
They wont kill Mako off screen. He's actually pretty popular with the kids, they don't want to make Korra emo, and he's handsome so yeah... If anyone would die off screen it would be Bolin or Asami and even that's unlikely. They have no reason to kill any of the main cast off before Book 2 starts so why would they even bother?
But Asami isn't really "main cast" now that Book 1's done. The main cast is Korra and the 2 brothers.
Old 2012-06-27, 00:35   Link #993
Starshipw
Free Opinions Available

Quote:

Emotions do not work that way. You don't go to a funeral and tell a child "Buck up kid. So you lost your mother. You still got one parent left. Those orphans over there aren't making such a fuss." Every bender who was cleansed was shown to be depressed, pro benders, police, etc. Lin probably handled it better than anyone, but that is expected considering her personality.

Korra's self image is tied up with being the Avatar. Remember she is a teenager. Girls her age can sulk worse than that over missing a concert.
Starshipw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 01:03   Link #994
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
I know it's the internet, but I never believed in the whole 'text has no tone' mantra. Did you really take what I said seriously? Even with the emoticons?
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 07:59   Link #995
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
She's not the Avatar if she's just an airbender. That was kinda the point. Korra places a lot of importance on being the Avatar. Aang was a lot less gung-ho about it. To you or me, it doesn't seem that bad, but from her perspective, she lost the very thing that defined who she is.
It might be important but it is not the end of the world. Being an Air bender is almost as rare as being Avatar in their age.

I know what it feels like to lose something important that keeps you away from your dream. My dream got crashed at the age of 14 and my whole life became different because of that. I'm not able to do most of things I was comfortable with because of injury. And by now I had more than one of those and under went 4 surgeries by now. Am waiting for 5th now -_-

I do still have my depression moments sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshipw View Post
Emotions do not work that way. You don't go to a funeral and tell a child "Buck up kid. So you lost your mother. You still got one parent left. Those orphans over there aren't making such a fuss." Every bender who was cleansed was shown to be depressed, pro benders, police, etc. Lin probably handled it better than anyone, but that is expected considering her personality.

Korra's self image is tied up with being the Avatar. Remember she is a teenager. Girls her age can sulk worse than that over missing a concert.
I know and that's why I'm not really bashing her. Whole problem lies in the pace, how rushed it was.
If things didn't go happily ever after way, I'm sure she would stay depressed for most time and that's where my annoyance would actually come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I'm also hoping Azula did get to move on with her life. She didn't get an epilogue like almost every other character did at the end of the Last Airbender, which made me so sad.

She'd also be a great choice for somehow telling the story of the mother, because that relationship was quite possibly one of the key reasons Azula turned out the way she did. When they were on that beach retreat, and having that heart to heart talk among the four of them, how could you not feel yourself go 'aww' over her comments regarding her mother? I always felt far more sympathy for her, than Zuko.
Same, for me she was more entertaining and maybe even more tragic.
Old 2012-06-27, 12:54   Link #996
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But Asami isn't really "main cast" now that Book 1's done. The main cast is Korra and the 2 brothers.
What exactly gives you that impression?

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 15:36   Link #997
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momobunny View Post
Probably because she appears later in the series than Korra+brothers. Though she becomes part of the main cast at the start of the war.

Now I'm curious how they will resolve the Korra-Mako-Azami triangle, as Korra+Mako are practivally a couple now. Will Azami turn to the dark side later in the story as revenge?
Old 2012-06-27, 16:06   Link #998
kitten320

^That actually wouldn't make much sense at this point.
I prefer for her to move on and find someone more worthy if we will get romance again. And after some consideration, Iroh seems like a perfect choice right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
In all honesty once Makorra kicked in, everyone except those 2 became secondary characters.
Asami actually was far more involved in all the action and drama than Bolin. He became almost none existent.
Hope that'll change and that focus will move to everyone else now in season 2, Asami included. It would be a waste to kick her out just because she is not with Mako. Would make her look used more than she already was.
Old 2012-06-27, 16:10   Link #999
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by momobunny View Post
I think the implication they were going for may be that Asami was only in the main cast because she was Mako's girlfriend.

Personally I don't think that has to be true. There's plenty that could be done with Asami in the series still.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-27, 16:11   Link #1000
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

I agree that it wouldn't make sense... so far Asami has been nothing but reasonable and level headed about everything... it wouldn't make sense for her to suddenly lose all of that and focus on revenge. As for the love triangle, I also hope that Asami moves on (I think she deserves better than Mako... and honestly, I think Korra does too...) though I'm not much of a shipper so I can't say that it's high on my list of concerns regarding this series. ^^;

I think Asami will continue being a main character... I don't know how exactly she would leave the group when she has nowhere else to go...

momobunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra