AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-14, 06:36   Link #21
cohen

It is a good thing we don't know enough about Exceed to confirm that. That was merely speculation.

The rule for Koaki Meru is that if you already have something shown, you cannot reveal it again. It is a common rule actually. If any card is revealed in your hand, you keep it revealed until the end of the turn. So, if your whole hand is revealed (not shown) you cannot activate the reveal effect and would have to use the discard effect.
Old 2011-01-15, 00:06   Link #22
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I was wrong about the Exceed Summon, then.
Old 2011-01-23, 21:26   Link #23
cohen

Rank 2 is out now, see if you can find a summary somewhere.
Old 2011-02-23, 18:41   Link #24
cohen

Sorry for the double post, this is just an update

Preview for Yugioh Zexal. Seems there will be a female opening, which is new to the franchise since the second opening of Duel Monsters. Oh, and Yuma sounds a lot like Sena from Eyeshield 21, even though that VA will voice Astral, the blue guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtfVjR_y5g4
Old 2011-03-29, 12:40   Link #25
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

'Yu-Gi-Oh!' Creator Terminates U.S. Deal and Sues for Millions of Dollars

I wonder what sort of problems will pop up from this. Still, it doesn't seem to bode well for American fans, although since it's 4kids maybe people are actually happy that someone else who isn't nearly as bad might get the license instead?

That said, even though they aren't getting sued (apparently), Funi's name has been popping up in all sorts of bad headlines lately.

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2011-03-29 at 12:53.
Blue-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 14:19   Link #26
cohen

Yeah, looks like we won't have any idea. I doubt Konami would not want the anime to air in America, but you never know. As for the anime itself, I have this to say

The guy most likely responsible for this retired a few months ago, no longer being a part of the company. Watch CW this week and see what 4kids puts together.
Old 2011-03-30, 17:48   Link #27
stardrago

I just saw final episode of Yu-gi-oh 5d's and they did a big time skip; I wonder if ZeXal takes place during that time skip?
stardrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-30, 17:51   Link #28
cohen

100% doubt.
Old 2011-04-11, 16:20   Link #29
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Spoiler for 1:

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2011-04-11 at 16:41.
Old 2011-04-11, 16:37   Link #30
cohen

Hey guys, could we move this please ...

I don't see how VG delivered more to the table than Zexal did. Zexal presented 7 characters so far, and more side characters that will gain importance later on. It showcased the new mechanic of Yugioh pretty well, while explaining exactly what was going on in the duel, to a much better OST.

I'll give VG the opening, but nothing can beat ZX ending.
Old 2011-04-11, 16:40   Link #31
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohen View Post
Hey guys, could we move this please ...

I don't see how VG delivered more to the table than Zexal did. Zexal presented 7 characters so far, and more side characters that will gain importance later on. It showcased the new mechanic of Yugioh pretty well, while explaining exactly what was going on in the duel, to a much better OST.

I'll give VG the opening, but nothing can beat ZX ending.
No, no, that's not what I meant. ZEXAL compared to Vanguard had much better everything. Maybe I should rephrase it, since you got it the other way around.

Just the game itself would be enough to make ZEXAL much more appealing than VG, but the production was quite nice as well and we even got some great music. Not to mentionthe main characters, because no matter how much of a kid Yuma is, at least he's not as boring to watch as Aichi was. There's simply no competition, really.

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2011-04-11 at 16:52.
Old 2011-04-11, 16:53   Link #32
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

It's been a while since i've watched a Yu-Gi-Oh series. I'll be checking this out for sure.
Old 2011-04-13, 17:29   Link #33
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 1:
Old 2011-04-13, 19:54   Link #34
cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Spoiler for ep 1:
I assume the entity that took over Shark was the entity that controls most of the number monsters. Astral has memories he needs to recover, each memory being represented as a number monster. There are 99 of these (in the manga that is).

Well, subs are calling it either "Fly to Pop" or "Rise to the Sky", but 'official' subs call it "Bring it to Em" (CR preview subs) which is where everyone is kinda iffy on. What is exactly the right translation for Katto Bingu? I go with Bring ... as an official type of source gave us it.
Old 2011-04-13, 22:22   Link #35
Matsura
Musha Shugyou

I just finished watching.

The production values are obviously quite high, and a lot of quality art went into the creation of it, but I just don't see anything particularly new from Zexal. The environments came as a shock at first, but only because they were coming from Yu-Gi-Oh!

This is the type of art design I'd expect from Astro Boy or Rockman EXE--not in the sense that it's bad, because these designs worked fine there, but rather that at heart the designs belong there and not here. Yu-Gi-Oh! was always unique in my mind for integrating some very dark, urban environments with fantasy. Even in broad daylight you could see thickly shadowed alleys peeling away into an underworld sleeping beneath Domino, and the most popular characters--Kaiba, Pegasus, Marik, and Yugi himself--were some of the most psychologically unhinged in the original series. Let's not forget that this all started with an ancient Egyptian serial killer possessing a young boy to take revenge on bullies.

And now, onto spoilery discussion:
Spoiler:
Matsura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-13, 23:21   Link #36
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Spoiler for first episode:

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-14, 04:48   Link #37
ShiroiRyu

Saw the first episode.
For one time, the hero look really dumb and bad.
After one who was really strong (Yusei), i think it's was good. ^^
ShiroiRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 21:23   Link #38
cohen

Even though the anime has yet to be licensed in America, NAS and TVT feel the need to take down the episodes from youtube ...

They do this all the time with Yugioh, but it makes you wonder what would happen if all this would be legalized. Some of these videos have well into the tens of thousands of views.

Oddly enough though, the same guy who uploads subbed Vanguard has his videos intact. I think it might have to do with subbed versions of Yugioh ... here is episode 1 raw he has up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek_VH..._order&list=UL
Old 2011-04-18, 14:18   Link #39
cohen

Guess I am going to be posting a lot in this thread ...

Spoiler:

edit: http://up.b9dm.com/lz/23525.html

edit: Youtube linked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUKsb...&feature=feedu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGraT..._order&list=UL

Last edited by cohen; 2011-04-18 at 19:57.
cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 20:49   Link #40
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Being a Yu-Gi-Oh! fan all around (not just because of competitive card tournaments), I think people have been a bit too hard on ZeXal, especially with only the anime/manga JUST beginning as well as Exceed Summons and so many people judging ZeXal as a failure SOLELY because of seeing character designs before anything even started before, and then based on just the first 2 episodes/chapters.

I liken it to GX a bit in being a breath of fresh air from a long, dark, gloomy, etc series previously (Duel Monsters for GX and 5D's for ZeXal) and being more light-hearted and "casual", but people hate on it because of them NOT being like them, being too "childish" in comparison (whether in design or personality) and such. I think GX got WORSE when they got to the middle of Season 3 and into Season 4 BECAUSE they tried to integrate so much darkness, angst, etc into the story; forcing Judai into a complete 180 of his character, shoving virtually everyone else into the background, generating a bunch of new questions without ever answering the older ones, and so on. Even the final Duel against Yugi involved some inexplicable time travel and wasn't THAT great overall.

It's why I prefer the GX manga to Seasons 3 and 4 of the anime. The manga actually balances out Judai's character and other things.

Also, while Yusei may have been "strong", he also became REALLY boring and one-dimensional, and the story became really...lame not too long after Season 2 started for 5D's. Don't even get me started on the "revelations" learned during the Duel against Z-ONE and such. Hell, I think Aki, Rua, and Ruka got more overall character development than the likes of Yusei, Jack, and Crow. I also disliked Yusei's extremely heavy reliance on Stardust Dragon itself + related things and the constant "lucky" draws of otherwise uber-situational cards that would probably be useless in 95% of the other Duels he's been in. Even against MINOR opponents (like Team Unicorn and Team Taiyou), he resorts to using Shooting Star Dragon, his ACE TRUMP CARD at the time, thus openly revealing it to his main opponent's for later. Same with Jack and Scar-Red Nova Dragon.

Then people, especially those who are (too) serious about the competitive tournament scene, that hate on the Exceeds right now solely because they're not, right from the get-go, nigh-broken cards like earlier Synchros were with 5D's (if one notices, a lot of the Synchros used in the Extra Deck are from the earlier days of Synchros with some exceptions, like Trishula).

They rarely ever realizing that, perhaps, Konami is actually being smart about their execution this time around UNLIKE how they did with Synchros (making the "better" ones having big stats, little to no downsides, and/or liberal Synchro Material Monsters while others do have more downsides and/or more restrictive Synchro Material Monsters, which actually kept them balanced out in comparison). By starting out slower than Synchros the way they are, it means that as the series progresses, the Exceeds can usually only get better and better in terms of stats/effects while, at the same time, enable Konami to monitor them to keep them from getting too out of hand in ways while Synchros quickly ended up running amok and people screaming for ones to get restricted/banned.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote