AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-26, 19:50   Link #2021
kuromitsu

>Vena
Frankly, I think it's issues with writing when viewers need to make up theories instead of actually knowing what's going on...

And it's not just Amata and Mikono - it's other characters as well, such as Cayenne and Mikono. Cayenne was introduced as borderline siscon, yet all the interaction between him and Mikono since ep 3 was basically that five-second scene in ep 6. So when Shrade brought Mikono up in this episode it was rather out of the blue - Mikono's feelings? Huh? Oh yes, Cayenne has those visions. Obviously Cayenne's not a main character and his initial relationship with Mikono had served its purpose and has already lost its importance, but seriously, no interaction whatsoever between the siblings?

And then there's Zessica who had one and a half episodes all to herself and we still don't know what exactly her element power is, let alone any background on her... (the latter one may be for plot reasons, though)

Yes, I know that there are time constraints and whatnot, I just feel that when it comes to characters and interactions the writing doesn't always find the right balance/pacing.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 20:10   Link #2022
Vena
Carpe Diem

The first thing I'll say is *fair enough* as I understand exactly where you're coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
>Vena
Frankly, I think it's issues with writing when viewers need to make up theories instead of actually knowing what's going on...
To be fair, that's mostly because many of the people in here are very attached to the reincarnation issue from the original story and are trying to apply it to everything and anything. I think we have a general clue of what's going on and the plot has been fairly well self-contained and logical, and the issue with rampant theories in every shape and flavor is a fan reaction to the name.

They were vague at the start about Altair's problems and their motives but I'd say that was for the sake of not making them immediately sympathetic to the viewer.

Quote:
And it's not just Amata and Mikono - it's other characters as well, such as Cayenne and Mikono. Cayenne was introduced as borderline siscon, yet all the interaction between him and Mikono since ep 3 was basically that five-second scene in ep 6. So when Shrade brought Mikono up in this episode it was rather out of the blue - Mikono's feelings? Huh? Oh yes, Cayenne has those visions. Obviously Cayenne's not a main character and his initial relationship with Mikono had served its purpose and has already lost its importance, but seriously, no interaction whatsoever between the siblings?
You're right about that, Cayenne did sort of fall of the radar and it was a bit strange that he hasn't even talked to his sister in a while (wasn't she going to be stolen by Aquarion?). He and Shrade just disappeared into their own tower, apparently. I think I know what the point was (to show that Cayenne has gotten over his need to be overly protective) but its presented weakly (by making him disappear entirely from his sister's side).

Quote:
And then there's Zessica who had one and a half episodes all to herself and we still don't know what exactly her element power is, let alone any background on her... (the latter one may be for plot reasons, though)
This is why I hate triangles. They make it such that details must remain vague for the sake of milking the triangle before it becomes the aforementioned *needless drama to a foregone conclusion*. Zessica (and Kagura) is *almost* (not yet, its still only nine episodes but if they keep going with this without building on relations one way or the other...) suffering from this because, if they show off her plot/background immediately, we'd pretty quickly be able to figure out which way the pendulum is going to swing in one triangle (similarly with Kagura) (and this would ruin a lot of the suspense on who is who that the fans are hooked on). At the same time, though, I feel like EVOL is handling its triangles well so far (by keeping them in a neat balance with moving along other characters in the story) but it can easily turn into miserable drama.

@Mayumi - I don't know what they are planning with Zessica, but I'd have trouble understanding the logic of: "I love him, but there's a girl he likes and she likes him back... so I'll defect!" But maybe that's exactly what will happen with Yunoha next episode but, at the same time, its nowhere near as central to the plot nor was she ever a serious contender in any way for Amata. We'll have to wait and see...
Old 2012-02-26, 20:41   Link #2023
Lord of Pandemonium
Banned

Location: I'm Dancing & Yelling GANBATTE KAGURA! YOU GO GET YOUR WOMAN BACK!!!!! SHIPPING THEM HARD
Edit: No time to answer before now--
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post

The fact is, you can't ship Aquarion couples due to the fact Apollonius and Celienne exist (at least not within the main characters).

Huh? Why is that so hard to believe.I like that reincarnation angle, lovers who meet every 12,000 years is as Bugs Bunny would say...pretty "romantical". If they hadn't started Evol with Amata watching the movie and hinting that Apollo and Silvia have been reincarnated--again. Then I might feel differently. However they didn't do that, so I don't. In my eyes it's the same two souls with different faces. I loved both ships Apollonius and Celiane, and Apollo and Silvia. that latter pair, I really liked together. Especially Apollo. Therefore as a shipper of those fated lovers...I am going to ship whomever they are. This time I won't like it as much if it turns out to be Amata and Mikono. If it's Amata and Zessica or Kagura and Mikono, I will be REALLY REALLY REALLY HAPPY. That is the only difference....but ultimately I'm going to throw my support behind whomever they turn out to be. But I am not going to like it as much, if the characters I truly like together get sunk. I can always pretend Aquaria (Vega) didn't exist, only Altair & Kagura exist and mean it

I missed the episode so I have to get a raw. Just stopping by to drop this off

Last edited by Lord of Pandemonium; 2012-02-26 at 21:45.
Lord of Pandemonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 21:40   Link #2024
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 9:
Old 2012-02-26, 21:51   Link #2025
mumucchi
hopeless romantic

must.. watch ep 9 now! T___T but the subs are not out yet T_____T i've been waiting since last night!! >O<
mumucchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 21:58   Link #2026
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

So much pun in the hole episode. I couldn't keep myself from grinning like an idiot through out the hole thing.

Spoiler for Ep 9:
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 22:04   Link #2027
mayumi

Spoiler:
mayumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 22:35   Link #2028
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

You know, without Zessica running interference, this episode does show a more natural interaction between Amata and Mikono without resorting to the Flying Boner Gag

(Oh no he didn't! Oh yes I've said it )

Spoiler for Episode 9 aka more hole puns than should be legal:

Hmmm, similar to the original series, I think Aquarion is best when it's showing it's fun side, I don't know if I would enjoy this as much when the donut hits the fan.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2012-02-27 at 00:32.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 22:50   Link #2029
Zaresh
Caperucita Roja

Any spoilers for the incomming episodes? Apart from episode 10 title and two lines synopsis, I mean.
Zaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 22:52   Link #2030
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Didn't like this episode that much, but that's mainly because I'm not interested in the hole(har har) Andy/Mix mechanics in the least =0<.

I thought it important that when the Altair-head guy(his name escapes me) noted about the possibility of the strongest Reaigler, they focused on Zessica and Mikono, and not Amata(obviously because he ain't a girl). This gives an impression that they will be important chars at the end of Altair's goals. When Zess was sulking at the end watching Amata and Mikono, the thought of Zessica defecting did cross my mind. However, it's possible that, considering Cay's vision, with the help of Kagura, Mikono might be the one "defecting". Defecting is in quotes because it may be the simple matter of her trying to understand why she feels something toward Kagura, and will intrinsically follow him. Personally, I'd much prefer to see it that way. By Mikono defecting, it nearly guarantees that Altair-head guy isn't much of a bad guy in the overall plot sense(and that Mykage is). This also possibly gives Amata and Zessica more screen time together, and deepening their friendship. They have more in common with the old Apollo/Sylvia relationship than Amata/Mikono does, which is why I'm more interested in them as a couple. Even if Amata/Mikono will be the end couple, I want my Amata/Zess, and I can't get it while Mikono is around!

Speaking of Mikono, I hope she can use that power of hers to connect the gap btw Amata and Zess at some point =03.

Also, Mix headed Evol, so the idea that Amata MUST be the head to form EVOL is tossed out of the window. Even considering the original, it may have been possible then. The only time Sol was unioned, Apollo was the head, but the battles never put the pilots in the situation where the "necessary" head was piloting the red Vector. There were less-than-a-handful of times where Apollo wasn't piloting anyway.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 23:12   Link #2031
Dahak86
Classics never age

those looking for MIX-Gifs: need look no further!
Old 2012-02-26, 23:13   Link #2032
Thess

I was really glad we got some MikonoxAmata scenes back a they used to be. The jelly insecurity got stale real fast. They were adorable in the first episodes and this one.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 23:13   Link #2033
trinitem
Dedicated Lurker

There was no lack of innuendos this episode.

Spoiler for Ep. 9:
trinitem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 23:16   Link #2034
cyberdemon

I was afraid Mykage was going to have that power. It popped into my head when the possibility of Mikono betraying them came up. She holds some kind of regret concerning Kagura but it hasn't really shown to have that much of an effect as to make her betray all her family and friends. Unless there was more of an outside factor manipulating her.
Old 2012-02-26, 23:22   Link #2035
miketyson

Now that I've seen this in better quality, I noticed something. After Mykage sprays the Altairian grunts with his petals, their eyes turn a curious shade of pink. What color are Amata's eyes? The same curious pinkish hue. Could be something to it, or could've run out of colors to use; another crack theory until proven otherwise. Perhaps Amata was born to Alisia on Altair, and his flashbacks aren't "Alisia leaving him (to go to Altair)" but instead "Alisia dropping him off (on Vega)"...

Vena, kuromitsu: the writing is running into a problem that's pretty common in stuff like this: for a lot of characters there's no way to have them interact naturally without doing collateral damage to other parts of the narrative structure, so they're left offscreen.

Take Mikono and Cayenne: if they're just sitting around talking to each other, the natural thing for Cayenne to do is ask her about her abilities (and lack thereof), ask her about Amata, or ask her about Kagura. The first would be beating a dead horse. Her comments on the other two would either have to be vague enough they'd feel like time-wasting filler or they'd have her making things more explicit than the writers want them to be at this juncture.

So, without some special situation to force the interaction align a particular route they can't do much with Mikoto and Cayenne together (and you'll notice with Cayenne they go out of their way a bit to keep him far from her, e.g. sending him to pick up Schrade while she was involved in classroom shenanigans).

Most of other choices of pairs of main characters have similar issues by now. Great writing can usually avoid these snags, but for shows with lots of background-story mysteries and relationship-uncertainty it's often difficult not to get boxed in like they seem to be.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 23:26   Link #2036
Sixth
Hu Tao

If I am the writer of this series, I would make Jin "do" those girls non-stop, and got addicted to them to the point he will think "Altair? Fck it, It is all about Vega. All Hail to Vega girls!"

On serious note, why don't those Altair citizens just migrate to Vega? Almost of all them are bishi, and it will be super easy for them to get their "mate".
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 23:39   Link #2037
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Now that I've seen this in better quality, I noticed something. After Mykage sprays the Altairian grunts with his petals, their eyes turn a curious shade of pink. What color are Amata's eyes? The same curious pinkish hue. Could be something to it, or could've run out of colors to use; another crack theory until proven otherwise. Perhaps Amata was born to Alisia on Altair, and his flashbacks aren't "Alisia leaving him (to go to Altair)" but instead "Alisia dropping him off (on Vega)"...
I'd have to guess if Alisia is Amata's mother then Izumo is likely his father. My guess is that Alisia/ Izumo could've actually have been peaceful attempt by Altair to get women but the women that willingy went to Altair kept dying without children after Amata and Jin were born and Vega refused to sacrifice anyone which led to Altair deciding to take them by force since they were running out of options.
Old 2012-02-26, 23:42   Link #2038
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
On serious note, why don't those Altair citizens just migrate to Vega?
Good question! I don't know.

Let's hope that it will be explained in the upcoming episodes since that's obviously a much better option. Maybe the attempt for diplomatic relations didn't turn out well? Like in exchange for the migration, Vega demanded a large compensation or something... Or there weren't any countries willing to take in people from another world due to economic problems or whatnot? I can think of a lot of factors, but there's no solid basis to support them.
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 23:44   Link #2039
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I have a feeling not everyone can go to Vega, after all there has to be a reason why the initial force of Abductors were only unmanned drones.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 23:48   Link #2040
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvance View Post
Good question! I don't know.

Let's hope that it will be explained in the upcoming episodes since that's obviously a much better option. Maybe the attempt for diplomatic relations didn't turn out well? Like in exchange for the migration, Vega demanded a large compensation or something... Or there weren't any countries willing to take in people from another world due to economic problems or whatnot? I can think of a lot of factors, but there's no solid basis to support them.
Well, with their technologies, it is not hard to setup a base on the moon or other planets. ..unless there is no planet or satellite nearby Vega, which I completely doubt about it.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, science fiction