AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 50 46.30%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 23.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 8.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 5.56%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 5.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.85%
4 out of 10 : Poor 6 5.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.93%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.93%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.85%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-19, 18:19   Link #41
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

They are perfectly able to kill a fellow classmate without remorse and anyone who stands in their way. They're much too dangerous.
Old 2012-03-19, 18:25   Link #42
sikvod00

The intent and what caused them to act in such a way is what determines whether they deserve to die, though. They weren't even in their right minds; that was pure emotional instability.
Old 2012-03-19, 18:28   Link #43
VDZ

Yeah, like many others, I have mixed feelings about it. It was definitely good, but it just wasn't Another.

Lots of action, some genuinely scary/shocking parts, good depiction of chaos (the chaos itself, not the behaviors of the characters), lots of things happening.

But on the other hand, the behavior of the characters was so unrealistic it just really bothered me. In any random horror show, that kind of stupidity and lack of realisticness is fine, but so far in Another all characters acted reasonably. Suddenly everybody is willing to kill, even from a single couple-of-lines 'I think I know who the Another is' message, students are acting like zombies, people become so retarded they kill themselves trying to kill the main characters...and yeah, killer old lady out of nowhere. I doubt we'll be getting a good explanation for any of this next episode.

Stand-alone, I'd say it's a good episode. But it just doesn't fit in Another. A shame to end an otherwise great series like this.
Old 2012-03-19, 18:31   Link #44
sikvod00

^Yep, Another has been subtely building up the fear and suspense, and the impact it has had on the characters. So to just to have it all blow up in your face in one episode with so many people turning into psychotic zombies was a bit of a let down. It was still funny though. Glasses girl never looked so sexy and seductive since the beach episode where she was non-nonchalantly picking the seeds out of the melons. Too bad she wasn't wearing that swimsuit...

Last edited by sikvod00; 2012-03-19 at 18:43.
Old 2012-03-19, 18:44   Link #45
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
The intent and what caused them to act in such a way is what determines whether they deserve to die, though. They weren't even in their right minds; that was pure emotional instability.
It was pure insanity. Emotional traumas change people, but takes a whole lot more than that to turn them into ruthless psycho killers.

Of course, maybe there's some variable or method in the calamity's algorythms that caused them to have some sudden mental defect which then caused the actions that lead to their deaths. If it was like that, then maybe I can feel some sympathy for them again.

Not to mention that Insane Glasses Girl made up a bunch of crap just to justify killing Mei.

And even if assuming, for a second, that Mei IS the extra. Running at her as if she's some kind of monster is just plain twisted.
Old 2012-03-19, 18:51   Link #46
sikvod00

Emotional trauma affects people very differently. Saying they deserve to die is too strong a word to use for emotional unstable individuals.
Old 2012-03-19, 18:53   Link #47
Ray
Garnet

Sigh. I was hoping Ogura wouldn't have to die; but alas, she deserved to die like that after going batshit insane. At this stage, I'm sure that most, if not all, of the students have been overcome by their animal instinct of survival. It's a little depressing to see young minds tainted like so, as they are what, 15? 16?

I wonder why the manager couldn't catch up to the two (whose names escape me at the moment) that were fleeing from her.

Ah, I'll admit that I laughed a little at Ogura's death. Poor lass.

As for the actual episode, I loved it.
Old 2012-03-19, 18:55   Link #48
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Wow. This episode was just intense and extremely thrilling. Definitely the best one so far. It kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time while I was watching it. Those guys are already mentally stressed out. It really shows what people are capable of doing when they are cornered like a mouse and given a single choice for survival.

The part where Takako suddenly showed up on the staircase and stabbed Kouichi on the shoulder was really good. I was like, "ZOMFG! She's here!"
Old 2012-03-19, 18:56   Link #49
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

To be fair, I was kind of caught up in the moment. Witch hunts are pretty much my berserk button, so to speak. Especially if the ones doing the witch hunting are insane lunatics who feel absolutely nothing when killing fellow human beings.

And emotional traumas don't cause insanity in people who were sane before. EDIT ok that's not entirely true either. The change was too fast though, going from what appeared to be normal humans to something that doesn't feel anything (except lust for blood). I just don't feel the circumstances justify their actions at all. It could be that they were merely the victims of poor writing.

And while I don't mourn them, I wouldn't want to see them executed or anything. It's fortunate that their deaths were karmic accidents.

Last edited by Dengar; 2012-03-19 at 19:09.
Old 2012-03-19, 18:56   Link #50
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

As much as I like this episode, I have to admit that it was way too over-the-top for the majority of it. I mean, wow.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Old 2012-03-19, 19:06   Link #51
AC-Phoenix
Detective

This could only happen because, the detective here has the same essential flaw Umineko's Battler had: he's incompetent and easily diverted.

Even if someone inocent might have died - he could have just insited that Mei immediately tells him (not using your Deus ex machima at the right time should be considered a crime too btw.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
And even if assuming, for a second, that Mei IS the extra. Running at her as if she's some kind of monster is just plain twisted.
You know, while I won't say anything regarding whether Mei is the Another or not:
The girl's flow of logic is quite flawed, mentally unstable or not.

Some of her logic flaws
-) A gradeschooler wouldn't call Miskai Mei 'Misaki-san/chan' but would more likely call them by their first name, therefore 'Mei-chan'
-) Resulting from above: The name of the Misaki the Girl knew could not have been ' Misaki xyz'' but xyz Misaki

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2012-03-19 at 19:41.
Old 2012-03-19, 19:13   Link #52
sikvod00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
To be fair, I was kind of caught up in the moment. Witch hunts are pretty much my berserk button, so to speak. Especially if the ones doing the witch hunting are insane lunatics who feel absolutely nothing when killing fellow human beings.

And emotional traumas don't cause insanity in people who were sane before. EDIT ok that's not entirely true either. The change was too fast though, going from what appeared to be normal humans to something that doesn't feel anything. I just don't feel the circumstances justify their actions at all. It could be that they were merely the victims of poor writing.

And while I don't mourn them, I wouldn't want to see them executed or anything. It's fortunate that their deaths were karmic accidents.
Nothing justifies what they were trying to do. I'm in agreement with that. They were a danger to others around them and needed to be stopped, even by death if it's a last resort. I just don't think they deserve to die because they weren't in their right state of mind. Victims of emotional trauma can act violently and irrationally, but I hesitate to condemn them (i.e. glad they died) so quickly because of the extreme circumstances they're in. To be honest, as mere high school kids going through such a calamity, I don't know why it took them this long to go crazy.
Old 2012-03-19, 19:16   Link #53
Arya

Wow, I can't say that we weren't expecting this, right? If I had to say I'm not irked by people turning against Mei, or whoever were pointed out with a quasi believable motivation. I guess it's called mass hysteria, when people stop thinking rationally and individually, instead of a whole, a hysteric whole. And the students were really at their limit for a while
On the contrary, as usual, I find Kouichi acting too nonchalantly. And Mei is cold as ice
what irked me is more the main cast, Mei, kouichi, Mochizuki and Teshigawa. (uff, so hard to remember all that names ) but probably they were shocked, I mean, too many accidents, one after another. At one point you stop caring
But the calmness they had after having heard of Teshigawa pushing Kazami down the balcony was ridiculous The same reaction Kouichi got with the stabbed dude. Got stabbed? Checked. Manager killed in a room in flames? Checked.
On a side note, was Kouichi who closed the door of the room in flames? Nice move.
But even with all that inconsistencies, I enjoyed this episode a lot.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Old 2012-03-19, 19:23   Link #54
Xaturas

At first I was curious, and that stabbed guy grabing Sakakibara leg scared me.
Then shit happened and I was like, damn where's mah popcorn.
Granny going crazy, grandpa dead (i say the psycho girl stabbed him). Thought Grandpa looked like pine cushion where many people would need to stab him, or 1 person for about 30minutes stabbing him.
Kids opening doors to see granny with cleaver, I was like WTF hahahah scooby doo we see each other again.
That crazy girl slipping and falling on her head o_O hahah.
Teacher getting 1 hit hack KO'd by a mop ^^.
Last psycho getting strangled by some cables <- wtf how.
Then Mei standing on the stairs, and just when she decides to run, the stairway magically gets blocked. I'm like WTF plot if you did that 5 seconds earlier she would be dead.

Funny ep, comparable to B category horror movies, where you look at characters and think, jesus you are dumb you characters in this poo.

Waiting for next ep as there will be some fun with a baseball bat like thing and other crazy stuff. And btw next ep is last right ? Hope it will at least try to explain something, rather than "we killed the dead, the end all live happy go lucky".
Old 2012-03-19, 19:26   Link #55
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
I guess it's called mass hysteria
Just a Battle Royal~ Until the last one standing. Explains the crazy ol' lady too.

It's so fun watching this episode... Already watched it 4 times...
Akazawa-san...
Dead Body --> Death from Hanging
Mei --> Stabbing weapon
Mei --> Not the type
Dead Body --> Tried to kill group a moment back
= F*** you, how dare you! I'll kill you for killing her!
........................................?

More importantly, didn't Takako knee the protagonist in the balls in the middle of the episode?! DAMN, I'm amazed he was able to do anything afterwards.

Quote:
Teacher getting 1 hit hack KO'd by a mop ^^.
I think she died.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2012-03-19, 19:54   Link #56
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I thought I was watching a horror anime until it turned into comedy.
I'm surprised it took you this long to notice when we had things like lolboats driving into people at beaches and umbrellas of doom in this show.

--

Really this episode was fine comedy, 8/10 for that effort (Yep for the wrong reasons). Watching everyone go bat shit crazy was amusing. Like someone said, if you're going to jump the shark might as well go all out haha.
Old 2012-03-19, 19:58   Link #57
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I'm surprised it took you this long to notice when we had things like lolboats driving into people at beaches and umbrellas of doom in this show.
Well, I knew it had unbelievable moments before, but before, it still generally had the atmosphere of a horror anime/story. (´・ω・`)

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2012-03-19, 19:58   Link #58
Candyshark

To be honest after this episode I hardly care who is "Another". All I wanna see now is Mei/Kouichi confession scene. Deaths of mob characters hardly affects you.
Old 2012-03-19, 20:18   Link #59
Angelmonster

I had two major problems with the episode.

1). Everyone either remained way too calm or wet batshit crazy. I mean there is a fire and no one runs...someone even opens the door after he is told there is a fire. When granny came to kill the two boys they just stood there.

2) things became so ridiculous the deaths made me laugh, especially the NPC being killed by the fire.

I liked the series except this episode, took it from mystery to campy.
Old 2012-03-19, 20:23   Link #60
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
I'm really conflicted about this episode...I actually am
On the one hand I'm glad they decided to use the anime's tendency to show instead of tell and gave us a multi-perspective version of the events, on the other hand I'd have to agree that this episode was all over the place and jumped a shark the size of a highrise building.

Okay. So while the manga version downplayed the events in the lodge and pretty much made it all about 2 characters, the anime version tried a little too hard (for my taste) and made this into an actual large scale massacre.

Takako going insane would have been alright with me, I imagined old lady Numata almost exactly like this and the Giallo'esque fashion of the murders was really cool considering that Ayatsuji is a big fan of Dario Argento, Lucio Fulci and Mario Bava. But the way the minor characters behaved just came out of nowhere so much they actually did behave like mind-controlled drones, Mochizuki's and Teshigawara's behaviour was so Scooby Doo I almost thought they suddenly decided to adapt Clock Tower with old lady Numata slowly chasing them down the hall only to reappear in impossible places...
I still don't know what to think of this episode exactly. It just kind of rubs me the wrong way in some places.
Closed Thread