Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-21, 21:57   Link #301
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Sony doesn't have to do much- would be cool if they suddenly reveal backwards compatibility
Isn't that what Gaikai is partly for? I've read somewhere that the plan is to have eventually the entire PS3, 2, and 1 library available for playing via streaming.
Old 2013-05-22, 03:10   Link #302
Westlo
Lets be reality

With the Wii U having the worst console launch since the Dreamcast (people need to stop insulting the Gamecube by comparing the two, the GC sold much better and actually had games year 1) and MS shooting itself in the foot, this gen is Sony's to lose... the return of the king!

I hope Sony get aggressive with the price point and go for $399, hilariously thanks to that that tablet controller which can't give Wii U the price cut it needs (its selling @ a loss right now) as well as Kinect 2.0... the ps4 is going to be a far superior console while being in the same ball park price wise.

Sony aren't going to block games, the rental market in Japan is absolutely massive, not to mention you don't need to connect to the internet to play it. The approach to used games is going to be exactly the same as it is right now, online passes.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 03:24   Link #303
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
... Um, isn't video game rental illegal in Japan? Pretty sure it was last I checked.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 03:27   Link #304
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
... Um, isn't video game rental illegal in Japan? Pretty sure it was last I checked.
Shit resale market I mean, I think we already did this convo a few months ago lol.
Old 2013-05-22, 04:54   Link #305
Sides

Still too early hard to judge, but if sony plays its cards right and side with consumers, they will dominate the global market again. Think sony did the right thing, in leaving DRM up to the publishers and staying out of it, this way they won't get the crap that MS is getting now atm. But as far as I understand the ps4 does have a drm feature build in, but like the ps3 region locking it is up to publishers if they want to use it or not.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 05:07   Link #306
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
But as far as I understand the ps4 does have a drm feature build in, but like the ps3 region locking it is up to publishers if they want to use it or not.
Just a rumor, they had patents on that stuff for the PS2 as well.

Again you don't have to connect online to play games, so its pretty much an online pass like we have now.
Old 2013-05-22, 05:15   Link #307
Sides

The core difference here is that they are not backing it like MS are doing now, which imo is a good thing. I mean just look at pS3 region locking, non of the sony games used it, which kind of persuaded other publisher no to utilise the feature. I mean if EA says we want to use it, it will be EA problem, not sony's.
Just caught up with the latest development, if you want a console that last longer, get a PS4. Specwise it appears to be a generation, probably oversaturating here like I always do, ahead of the others. On paper it is a better long term investment.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 14:08   Link #308
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
That's basically the reason why PS3 is no longer backward compatible, it was too expensive to keep the ps2 guts inside when most probably bought it to play PS3 games.
Nonsense. The last backwards-compatible PS3s used software emulation that worked pretty well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
With the Wii U having the worst console launch since the Dreamcast (people need to stop insulting the Gamecube by comparing the two, the GC sold much better and actually had games year 1)
The Dreamcast had a pretty good launch, actually, and it had games.
Old 2013-05-23, 15:22   Link #309
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Nonsense. The last backwards-compatible PS3s used software emulation that worked pretty well.
Only the CPU was emulated, the GPU was still a chip. While it is possible to get PS2 games running using software only (hence the PS2 classics on PSN) I'm guessing it needs to be done on a game-by-game basis and it's not something that's worth it, from a monetary perspective, to thrown in for free. Just sell the old model with an increasingly large profit margin.
Old 2013-05-25, 02:13   Link #310
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
The Dreamcast had a pretty good launch, actually, and it had games.
I don't know how much the Saturn sold in its first 6 months or I would've said that, and yeah like the Gamecube the Dreamcast had an awesome year 1 lineup.

Wii U is just disappointing on all fronts.
Old 2013-05-25, 04:24   Link #311
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

PlayStation 4 coming to U.K. in 2013, advert suggests

Quote:
Update: Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has posted the same image on Twitter.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 07:46   Link #312
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Sony execs respond to #PS4NoDRM online campaign

If Sony ends up backstabbing their fans, the shitstorm would be even bigger than with MS... And they have to be retarded to not capitalize on this and kick out MS for the next 7-8 years.
Old 2013-05-29, 08:36   Link #313
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
I don't think M$ would resort to such strategy unless they were really sure that the main competitor would follow suit... I mean, it would obviously ruin the game market!

This is fishy and I have a bad feeling.
Old 2013-05-29, 09:01   Link #314
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
I don't think M$ would resort to such strategy unless they were really sure that the main competitor would follow suit... I mean, it would obviously ruin the game market!

This is fishy and I have a bad feeling.
Why do you think so? MS never wanted to sell gaming consoles. They just want an all-in-one box in the living room. This is not even a secret. And now, they got what they wanted. Gamers were stepping stones for them, there was never any intention to actually give the gamers what they want.
Old 2013-05-29, 09:07   Link #315
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
They just want an all-in-one box in the living room.

lolz, an all-in-one-box that isn't backward compatible and still requires the cable box and external hard-drives
Old 2013-05-29, 11:46   Link #316
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

http://kotaku.com/sony-president-tro...yone-510269752

I hope this is a sign that they are not implement something like Xbox One?
Old 2013-05-29, 11:56   Link #317
defki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
I hope this is a sign that they are not implement something like Xbox One?
It is a sign that he acknowledged the campaign.

It is also something that can backfire badly for him and Shahid if they introduce DRM BS.
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 13:00   Link #318
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Why do you think so? MS never wanted to sell gaming consoles. They just want an all-in-one box in the living room. This is not even a secret. And now, they got what they wanted. Gamers were stepping stones for them, there was never any intention to actually give the gamers what they want.
Shame, because 360 had excellent communication tools for online (Hell, you can even log on PC, to send message through your LIVE account, saving the problem of having to type by hand) and gamertag was/is an amazing feature imo.

And some titles also allow crossplay (360 vs PC).
PSN just feels lacking compared to LIVE.

My point is that they've got the social and online gaming aspects right, but then suddenly they take a 180º turn!
I don't think the best way to sell your next console is by using the predecessor's success and do whatever for the next one. At least, didn't work for me.
Old 2013-05-29, 14:03   Link #319
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Shame, because 360 had excellent communication tools for online (Hell, you can even log on PC, to send message through your LIVE account, saving the problem of having to type by hand) and gamertag was/is an amazing feature imo.
You need to pay for gold to even read messages on a PC (I noticed this when the site politely pointed that fact out to me when trying to read a system message).

Quote:
And some titles also allow crossplay (360 vs PC).
One title I think (shadowrun) and even that didn't work very well (as expected the console players left the online mode in droves after being utterly dominated by people playing with a mouse and keyboard).

Quote:
PSN just feels lacking compared to LIVE.

My point is that they've got the social and online gaming aspects right, but then suddenly they take a 180º turn!
I don't think the best way to sell your next console is by using the predecessor's success and do whatever for the next one. At least, didn't work for me.
The only thing I'll concede is the fact that buying stuff online was better on the XBox website for quite some time (it still is given you need PS+ to do automatic downloads) and the PS3 was missing multi-game party chat.

Live was fantastic back in 2006 but now it's only slightly better.
Old 2013-05-29, 14:20   Link #320
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
You need to pay for gold to even read messages on a PC (I noticed this when the site politely pointed that fact out to me when trying to read a system message).
Not initially, at some point they implemented this feature for some reason... Agree, that sucks. But you still had Games for Windows Live, which became free and is the one of the only gaming platforms for PC games. There's Steam also, but it's nowhere as great imo.

Quote:
One title I think (shadowrun) and even that didn't work very well (as expected the console players left the online mode in droves after being utterly dominated by people playing with a mouse and keyboard).
Blazblue Calamity Trigger also has, but few had a chance to enjoy because more updated titles came out before it hit PCs.

Quote:
The only thing I'll concede is the fact that buying stuff online was better on the XBox website for quite some time (it still is given you need PS+ to do automatic downloads) and the PS3 was missing multi-game party chat.

Live was fantastic back in 2006 but now it's only slightly better.
I loved the blades interface. Things just went meh after they decided to implement avatars, along overpriced virtual items for it...