Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-29, 05:43   Link #221
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
These argument is weird, Bebop and Champloo should not became 2 cour show too then, geez...

HSI is just another episodic show with some little "arc" here and there, undestand it already.
Did you just mention Bebop and Champloo with HSI, Slice of life and/or the "cute girl" genre -_-'.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 05:43   Link #222
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I don't think there was ever any filler in HSI. It's just that the first episode lead us to believe that the point of the series was about Ohana's relationship with her mother and grandmother. Consequently, everything that didn't focus on that ended up looking like filler. If they tied all the other elements in with that first element, then it probably wouldn't have felt so fillerish. The main problem was structural, not content-wise.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 05:59   Link #223
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
Did you just mention Bebop and Champloo with HSI, Slice of life and/or the "cute girl" genre -_-'.
the episode structuring concept is same though.

And just switch those two to Maison ikkoku or Gintama (and those two have gazzilion more episode than HSI) if you need something to nitpick, thanks.
Old 2012-06-29, 06:04   Link #224
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
the episode structuring concept is same though.

And just switch those two to Maison ikkoku or Gintama (and those two have gazzilion more episode than HSI) if you need something to nitpick, thanks.
How? Bebop and Champloo were episodic from the beginning (and completely different in timelines and atmosphere) whilst HSI was linear progression but with fillers at points.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-06-29 at 06:15.
Old 2012-06-29, 06:06   Link #225
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
On the one cour vs. two cour debate... It depends on where Tari Tari lands on The Sliding Scale of Drama vs. "Eating Cake"

The closer it is to "Eating Cake", the less length matters (and arguably the better two cours is - I mean, if you like it, and length doesn't matter, you'd naturally want to have as much of it as you can have).

The closer it is to "Drama" (i.e. there's a plot that actually matters), the more length matters. My recent experience with anime shows with important plots is that they're usually better off being one cour.

Judging from the nice PVs alone, it's hard to say how important the plot is in this, though. All I know is some cute girls (and a couple guys) are displaying anime high school energy, and at least one is a very good equestrian.
Old 2012-06-29, 06:08   Link #226
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Judging from the nice PVs alone, it's hard to say how important the plot is in this, though. All I know is some cute girls (and a couple guys) are displaying anime high school energy, and at least one is a very good equestrian.
Nako v2.0... who can ride horses. Heck, she looks like a total clone of her from her big boobs to her personality briefly portrayed in the PVs.

And talking about drama vs eating cake. If it's drama related to eating cake, that's fine. Granted I'll just laugh at it, but lols > being bored. Just don't have cake by itself, it needs to be eaten... by drama.

I have no idea why I just wrote the above line.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-06-29 at 06:49.
Old 2012-06-29, 10:46   Link #227
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
The closer it is to "Drama" (i.e. there's a plot that actually matters), the more length matters. My recent experience with anime shows with important plots is that they're usually better off being one cour.
Depends entirely on the story. Madoka and Usagi Drop were perfect at one cour, but No.6, Chaos;Head and Sakamichi Apollon were overly compressed at that length, and Steins;Gate and Chihayafuru needed two cours to work.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 11:23   Link #228
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
SoL, HSI? what the heck are these?

Anyway, independent of the amount original content to be animated, the main factor defining if one or two cours are appropriate is the person responsible for the series composition, even more so than the director. In Tari Tari its the same person, and even worse has never worked in either positions for a TV anime.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 11:42   Link #229
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
SoL, HSI? what the heck are these?

Anyway, independent of the amount original content to be animated, the main factor defining if one or two cours are appropriate is the person responsible for the series composition, even more so than the director. In Tari Tari its the same person, and even worse has never worked in either positions for a TV anime.
The director/series composer is the same person who directed the Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva movie, which had a significant amount of "mainstream" appeal since the Nintendo DS game franchise is pretty huge. And when I mean mainstream appeal, I mean outside your typical "Otaku audience".

Not many people know this, but Professor Layton is actually PA's most successful anime, not Angel Beats, which this movie kicks the shit out of it in financial success. It made over $6.2 million USD in theatres worldwide (Japan and some parts of Asia at the time) in 5 weeks, which for an anime that is not Ghibli (or K-on) pretty damn impressive. In comparison the Dissappareance movie made $6 million USD and had a much longer airing period in theatres. Somewhat explains why visuals are always strong for the studio - $$$. Even Another, which most definitely is the worst looking series PA has done, is at the very least above average for TV standards.

Plus, *ahem clears throat*, no Okada to sabotage the series with her fetishes!

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-06-29 at 12:25.
Old 2012-06-29, 11:44   Link #230
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Depends entirely on the story. Madoka and Usagi Drop were perfect at one cour, but No.6, Chaos;Head and Sakamichi Apollon were overly compressed at that length
Being longer might have helped No. 6, but I don't think it would have saved it. No. 6 had inherent weaknesses that added length alone couldn't fix. The problems with No. 6's ending go beyond it simply being rushed (though that is a factor).

Besides, No. 6 was extra-compressed due to being an one cour noitaminA show. That cost it an episode or two compared to what most other one cour shows have.

I never bothered with Chaos;Head so I can't comment on that. I haven't finished Apollon so I can't comment on that yet (I will say that I'm fine with its pacing through the first half, though).

Quote:
and Steins;Gate and Chihayafuru needed two cours to work.
Steins;Gate I'll grant you, but I'm not sure about Chihayafuru. Chihayafuru even had to drag out the dreaded recap episode. And honestly, I lost interest in Chihayafuru and have yet to finish it. So for me, at least, Chihayafuru being two cours probably didn't help.

I know of more two cour shows that trainwrecked and/or felt overly fillerish than I know of one cour shows that trainwrecked and/or felt overly compressed.

A two-cour show with an important plot/drama can work, certainly, but one cour tends to be a safer bet with that.

AnoHana vs. HSI is a great example of this. AnoHana feels very tight (not rushed, just nice and tight) compared to HSI.

Of course, all of this is just my opinion. It's altogether possible that my preferred pacing is faster than what it is for some other viewers.
Old 2012-06-29, 11:59   Link #231
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
I know of more two cour shows that trainwrecked and/or felt overly fillerish than I know of one cour shows that trainwrecked and/or felt overly compressed.
I wouldn't necessarily say your statement is correct as they are PLENTY of series out there that get shafted by the 1-cour treatment (because that's all they can afford production wise) when the source material clearly needs at least two. I do however agree that when "lucky" series tend to get 2-cour treatment, a lot of these 2-cour series tend to "abuse" their privilege (in my eyes) by putting in too numerous amounts of filler episodes.

Quote:
A two-cour show with an important plot/drama can work, certainly, but one cour tends to be a safer bet with that.
I would say it depends on the important plot or drama work, but if it's set in a middle-school or high-school setting, then 1 cour would most definitely be sufficient for the majority of the time. There is so much conflict and drama you can do for this premise, unless you want to extend it to college/university life, which for whatever reason anime tends to avoid as of late.

However, for the "epic" type of series (fantasy, sci-fi, thriller, supernatural, or a combination), 2 cours may be desired since they tend to more complex and more "significant" in terms of plot mechanics than a mere slice of life.

Quote:
AnoHana vs. HSI is a great example of this. AnoHana feels very tight (not rushed, just nice and tight) compared to HSI.
Absolutely. Despite personally liking HSI better and thinking AnoHana was too melodramatic for its own good, it doesn't take away the fact Anohana's pacing was almost perfect compared to HSI, which had a bit too many "stupid" episodes to make it "top tier".

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-06-29 at 12:12.
Old 2012-06-29, 13:43   Link #232
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Being longer might have helped No. 6, but I don't think it would have saved it. No. 6 had inherent weaknesses that added length alone couldn't fix. The problems with No. 6's ending go beyond it simply being rushed (though that is a factor).

Besides, No. 6 was extra-compressed due to being an one cour noitaminA show. That cost it an episode or two compared to what most other one cour shows have.

I never bothered with Chaos;Head so I can't comment on that. I haven't finished Apollon so I can't comment on that yet (I will say that I'm fine with its pacing through the first half, though).
The problem with No.6 was the way the fantasy element came out of nowhere in the last couple episodes -- if they'd had time to set it up earlier, it could've worked. As for Sakamichi -- the show ended up doing two Christmas episodes within the space of four episodes.

Quote:
Steins;Gate I'll grant you, but I'm not sure about Chihayafuru. Chihayafuru even had to drag out the dreaded recap episode. And honestly, I lost interest in Chihayafuru and have yet to finish it. So for me, at least, Chihayafuru being two cours probably didn't help.
Chihayafuru worked for me, and what made it work was that it had time to breathe. Yeah, it did do a recap, but that was more because they only needed twenty four eps to reach a good stopping place in the manga. The material couldn't've been compressed into 12 or 13 eps without making it too fast.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 14:18   Link #233
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Chihayafuru is also renewed for a second season, probably also two cours. I certainly didn't feel it used any padding whatsoever - it was just trying to find a good place to stop, as Utsuro says.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 16:32   Link #234
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
The director/series composer is the same person who directed the Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva movie, which had a significant amount of "mainstream" appeal since the Nintendo DS game franchise is pretty huge. And when I mean mainstream appeal, I mean outside your typical "Otaku audience".
That's why I said TV anime Anyway, moving outside the "otaku audience" things degrade really quickly into writing for pre-school kids

Quote:
Not many people know this, but Professor Layton is actually PA's most successful anime, not Angel Beats, which this movie kicks the shit out of it in financial success. It made over $6.2 million USD in theatres worldwide (Japan and some parts of Asia at the time) in 5 weeks, which for an anime that is not Ghibli (or K-on) pretty damn impressive. In comparison the Dissappareance movie made $6 million USD and had a much longer airing period in theatres. Somewhat explains why visuals are always strong for the studio - $$$. Even Another, which most definitely is the worst looking series PA has done, is at the very least above average for TV standards.

Plus, *ahem clears throat*, no Okada to sabotage the series with her fetishes!
That was the first thing I checked, because by now I guess most people have realized that Okada Mari wants to turn everyone else's works into cheap and corny melodramas, while her original material is paced worse than the worst harem anime.

PA Works as a lot of good animators, but unfortunately their "choice" on story has been from bad to worse
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 18:14   Link #235
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Tari Tari will be streamed on Crunchyroll.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ord-art-online

Looking forward to the first episode in a few days.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 18:20   Link #236
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

wow, just checked the air date, wasn't aware that this gonna air tomorrow.
Old 2012-06-29, 18:28   Link #237
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
These argument are weird, Bebop and Champloo should not became 2 cour show too then, geez...

HSI is just another episodic show with some little "arc" here and there, undestand it already.
To get back to the original point I was trying to make. HSI's writing lacked a general focus, and this was clearly evident throughout its run. It's no mystery that when the show was more focused on the crux of the drama in the show, it was better, and when it was focused more on side character side plot shenanigans the writing got extremely loose and daft.

This isn't about it being slice of life, I didn't even use that term. I just felt that HSI did not benefit at all from being 2 cours, it actually took a lot away from it and it's why I thought its contemporary during that season, Ano Hana actually bested it despite also being quite flawed in other departments.

In the case of Tari Tari, time will tell. But if it's going to waste episodes like HSI did on the stupidest crap ever, no thank you.

I'm actually still unsure whether I am even going to pick this up. Although Another was good for half its run or a little more, I haven't thought PA works has made a genuinely good show since True Tears. Their track record is pitiful.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-30, 08:27   Link #238
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Spoiler for Megami:
Old 2012-06-30, 19:08   Link #239
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
I just hope this show is better than that somewhat disaster True Tears.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-30, 19:10   Link #240
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
wow, just checked the air date, wasn't aware that this gonna air tomorrow.

It's TODAY?!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
I just hope this show is better than that somewhat disaster True Tears.
True Tears went quite well. Actually I loved the ending. I've saved it as one of my favorites.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, music, original anime, pa works