AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-02-10, 19:36   Link #341
Lebron
I hear voices

True, Sony really did kind of drop the ball with the PS3. Mainly due to Blu-Ray, which is the main reason why it cost as much as it does. However, saying that a price drop will save everything, isn't very clear either. Considering the fact that they issued a price drop in Japan for the PS3, which is around $400 something(not sure though), and it still is averaging about 18-25k sold a week over there, while the Wii is selling around 60-80k a week, and no there aren't shipping issues. Sure you could say its lack of games is a factor, but that didn't stop the PS2 from selling like buckets back when it was first released. It's very clear they do have a problem like GHD Pro said. Will be interesting to see what there NPD Numbers are for January are.

Still, I'm sure price does have an impact on potential buyers. I don't think price is as big as some are making it out to be, just seems the PS3 isn't as appealing as the PS2 was, with the software support and featuring the well known standard format, DVD(Blu-Ray or HD-DVD aren't taking over as the standard anytime soon). Price is a factor though, many in America for one were expecting it to be $300 like the PS2, but were surprised when they saw that $500-600 price tag. Quickly made them rethink their investment, and so far I have yet to see PS3 output anything that the 360 couldn't match graphically(no Fanboy intended). Then in Europe, you get the delay to March 23rd, months after the US and Japan got theirs, and on top of that it costs £425/599 Euros which is around $800, and no 20GB version. So right now I would say they have a hill to climb over, as it stands right now.

However, I wouldn't count them out. If anyone can bounce back, its Sony. They're good competition for MS and Nintendo, so I want to see them do well. Also, I love their 1st party developers, God Of War and Gran Turismo anyone? :P

Last edited by Lebron; 2007-02-10 at 19:54.
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-10, 21:21   Link #342
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

I saw my friends play God of War and hated it because it completely destroyed the way I had envisioned Greek Mythology. I envisioned it as sexy girls running around in skimpy dresses (or completely naked at points like in the Odyssey), ditto with goddesses wearing the skimpy stuff and looking like anime battle-gals (seriously, I always envisioned Athena as 5'6" 40-20-36 with long blonde hair down to her waist wearing that greek helmet with her bright white aegis with her gold icon in the middle and a sleeveless white tanktop thing with a short skirt...just think of Sophitia from Soul Calibur with Taki's measurements and gone all white =P) And God of War completely changed THAT, and it also made Ares look like this huge evil guy when I always considered him this badass wearing leather and such (remember Kevin Sorbo's hercules?). And God of War ruined that. And instead of our Greek Hero being this guy we want to root for like we did with Hercules, Achilles, Odysseus, and all other such Greek epic heroes, well, this guy was a RAWR RAWR KILL KILL captain of Sparta that mindlessly slaughtered everyone in his path...including his own wife and kid!

And lo and behold, in GoW 2, instead of stopping Sparta from raping face when Athena (not the sexy battle-gal goddess I envisioned but some weaksauce short-haired woman) asked him to, he went down there and started wrecking everything in sight Ares style! (Or so IGN says).

Come on...that's NOT how I like my Greek mythology!

Gran Turismo...ewwww...I'll always be an F-zero fanboy for racing.
Old 2007-02-10, 21:42   Link #343
Knightmare213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron View Post
Also, I love their 1st party developers, God Of War and Gran Turismo anyone? :P
Believe it or not, I share DemonGod's view on God of War 'defiling' the imagined view of Greek Mythology (maybe expect the part on where Athena is 5-foot-6 and has a pair of boobs that'll put some other fictional characters to shame...always imagined her as just naturally and godly beautiful with a perfect godly body). Although never having to play God of War, I've always heard that it was a good game. But that wasn't enough to attract my attention to the game.

However, Gran Turismo is a good game. Sure, it frustrates some people because of its realism (except the damage-showing part), but like some others, I got used to the game and enjoyed GT 2, 3 and 4. If you're patient enough to pass the License part in the game, you'll feel invincible with good cars.

In conclusion, I'm looking very forward on GT 5. Hell, just the idea of having more opponents on the track with you gets me very happy.
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-10, 21:45   Link #344
Lebron
I hear voices

Well they have the Colossus of Rhodes as a boss fight, so plus 1 from me. But seriously, I'm not playing it for its historical accuracy, which it is in some places, not in others. At least its not some magical all the gods happy sing a long that was Disney's Hercules. God that movie pissed me the hell off, got everything about Greek Mythology wrong.

Demongod, You seem to like hot female characters, are you a fan of DOA, perhaps? :P
Old 2007-02-10, 21:49   Link #345
Demongod86

No because that's just pure fanservice. I share the greek view on women:

Sound MIND inside a sound body.

But I like to take it to the next level.

Hopefully I won't be single all my life =/.
Old 2007-02-10, 21:53   Link #346
Lebron
I hear voices

lol, just checking. Well, at least you have standards, so its not all that bad :P

I'm all about T & A, yeah I'm a bad person
Old 2007-02-10, 22:03   Link #347
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron View Post

I'm all about T & A, yeah I'm a bad person

You and me brother. You and me...
Old 2007-02-10, 22:09   Link #348
Demongod86

Hey if the girl isn't hot, I don't even notice her! But she has to have a brain in addition to being gorgeous!
Old 2007-02-10, 22:11   Link #349
Lebron
I hear voices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Hey if the girl isn't hot, I don't even notice her! But she has to have a brain in addition to being gorgeous!
Well that is true, I don't want no chick acting like Jessica Simpson on me, but however, if she looked like Jessica Simpson, I wouldn't really care. I could tolerate her
Old 2007-02-10, 22:35   Link #350
Lebron
I hear voices

Yup, cold blooded. He's just as bad as us now, with our T & A standards

Anyway, VF5 Love time

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

also Kayos, nice new avatar, lol :P
Old 2007-02-11, 09:40   Link #351
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
on top of that it costs £425/599 Euros which is around $800
Stop. Comparing. Markets. With. Different. Economy!
Quote:
God Of War and Gran Turismo anyone? :P
Bah, Gran Turismo is just an over-hyped racing game.
Old 2007-02-11, 13:52   Link #352
Lebron
I hear voices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Stop. Comparing. Markets. With. Different. Economy!
Point taken :P

and Blasphemy on the GT comment! I don't think its the best, Forza(1st one), GTR, and Toca, are all better racing sims. Still, I love my GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos
Those are some amazing VF5 images. Should be out by next week.
Mine too. Going to order my High Grade and then it's dorm ass kicking time. I just hope for the 360 version they maybe can add some kind of Live feature(no Online battles of course) but something. Would love to use the VF.TV feature to upload my replays and such to friends and watch theirs as well. But, maybe that's asking too much from Sega. They've made some stupid business decisions regarding VF lately--still bringing it multi-platform was a rare and smart move for them.

Last edited by Lebron; 2007-02-11 at 14:20.
Old 2007-02-12, 09:49   Link #353
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
Yesterday, i just passed for some Sites and i found this recently

It's very real that the PS3 is sell with this Price? It's more cheap than the Wii O_O
IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 10:22   Link #354
SlugZilla
woofles

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiKyo View Post
It's very real that the PS3 is sell with this Price? It's more cheap than the Wii O_O
That is what price the store is willing to buy used systems, which would be ironic if they sell it cheaper than the Wii.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 11:12   Link #355
Kouji
StrykerX

Well, it'd be fine that if the PS3 sold for the same as PS2's price in the U.S. Which was about $299/$399 (for the 60GB). I would've accepted this price range.
Old 2007-02-12, 11:34   Link #356
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiKyo View Post

ouch. if i had bought a PS3 i would NEVER sell it off at that price.

That's just asking to be raped.

seriously, ignore it, if you got one, just keep it, you can still use it as a linux box.
Old 2007-02-12, 11:54   Link #357
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Wow...I didn't expect to see everybody knocking on God of War. While Greek mythology isn't my favorite backdrop, I thought it was very well executed. Honestly, I don't care what Athena looks like...so long as the music, architecture, and main character model are solid...who cares?

So far as the PS3 surplus- of COURSE it's because of the momentary crap game selection. The PS2 might have been able to get with this a bit (though I think the PS2 had a better launch selection- wasn't Twisted Metal Black a launch game?), but now that Sony has two very serious competitors that, together, cover most of the gaming audience, a lack of high quality games simply won't cut it. Thankfully, the AAA games are shortly forthcoming.
Old 2007-02-12, 13:32   Link #358
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
See here's what they have to do. They absolutely must not pull another Playstation PORTable if they want to stand a chance and they must absolutely must have a strong exclusive selection by the end of 2007. I don't think Sony want's to bleed like Microsoft did with the XBOX for a hell of a long time.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 21:59   Link #359
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
See here's what they have to do. They absolutely must not pull another Playstation PORTable if they want to stand a chance and they must absolutely must have a strong exclusive selection by the end of 2007. I don't think Sony want's to bleed like Microsoft did with the XBOX for a hell of a long time.
Well, with games like FFXIII, MGS4, White Knight story and what not; it's almost safe to say that PS3 will have some good exculsives by the end of 2007 going into 2008 (so long as they don't get pushed too far back =/ )

One thing i think they really need though, is some nice Strong Exclusive Online games. Seriously, what's the point of a free network service if there aren't any good games to play on it... So far, i think the only really good ones i hear about coming are multiplatform... with some good exclusive online multiplayer games, the PS3 might be able to actually stand a chance against Xbox Live (y'know, atleast when take into consideration Xbox live costs money and Sony online is free)
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 22:34   Link #360
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
True Sony online network is free but how's the quality. Xbox Live is a paid subscription but at least it's top notch. I guess you could say you get what you paid for... or not.
That's what that whole "if you take into consideration" part was for...
Though i don't have a PS3 and haven't heard much about the online service, but i'm definatly willing to bet that it's not gonna be as good as Xbox live...

It's hard to complain about something your not paying extra for...
I mean, unreal tournament for instance, when given the choice to play online on PS3 or 360(assuming i could get either or both systems), Sony's online service would have to be have pretty damn poor quality for me to choose 360 over PS3... honestly, the fees for online service on the 360 will add up, at $50 a year you'll end up paying like $250 after 5 years (about the minimum length of a console's life span), which puts the overall price of the 360 above that of the PS3... much higher if the 360 lives longer than 5 years... PS3 on the other hand won't cost a dime no matter how long it lives... So ya, Sony's network quality would have to be pretty bad with little hope of recovery for me to pick Xbox live's payed service over it...
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
console, ps3, sony