AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-12-14, 04:26   Link #1741
Westlo
Lets be reality

Oh ffs potential may or may not be developed/fulfilled... are we seriously going to argue about the definition of potential now? lol

Anyway current bottom 5

Quote:
#03-04/2010 Bottom 5:
Kashikoi Ken Lilienthal
Medaka Box
Kuroko no Basket
Hokenshitsu no Shinigami
Ane-doki
Jaguar
Medaka's probably going to climb over the corpses off Lilenthal and Shinigami again like it did with nearly every other 09 manga released after it, kagijin, Akaboshi, wajimania and probably Ane-doki as well.

Last edited by Westlo; 2009-12-14 at 04:36.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 05:37   Link #1742
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstorm View Post
Finally, a legitimate criticism that isn't phrased in a way that makes it a wall banger. -____-

Agreed that we could know more about other characters and that they could do more but I believe that Nishio has gotten better with this post Unzen.

Since the start of the Flask Plan arc we have had Nabeshima saving Medaka and teaching her a good lesson, Maguro training her and also telling her not to neglect herself, Akune and Kikaijima came and said they are not going to be left out of this despite Medaka trying to do so.

Kikaijima's abilities helped Medaka figure out the way through the labyrinth and before that Akune had to wake Zenkichi up after he was panicking over the door of rejection.

Honestly, if things like this happen with higher frequency and we do get more of the cast stepping up it will be a good thing. Whether people love her or hate her, most agree that one character can not normally carry a story all by herself. While Medaka is indeed the focus there is still room for other characters to do more without taking anything away from her.
I mentioned this a few pages ago myself. Medaka can't carry the manga by herself, which she has for most of the manga's life cycle. She's fought the battles, she's solved all the problems, etc.

Nabeshima had her moment, though I wouldn't call it character growth and Kikaijima had hers in the labyrinth. As someone said, though, they really felt kind of tacked on. It was more of an attempt to say "Hey, they're useful" instead of actually giving us an development on their part.

Zenkichi, who I believe is the favorite of most people and his lack of development and screen time is probably the biggest issue many people have with the manga, finally got some development a couple of chapters ago against King, which everyone found great. That was promptly forgotten in the next few chapters, though. For a guy who's supposed to be a main character, we actually know less about him than we do anyone else in the manga (except maybe Shiranui, who's just crazy). The man doesn't seem to have a life outside of following Medaka around, which kind of makes him look pathetic (and is where the whole lap dog thing came from).

Now, I'm not saying that the author isn't developing people more. The problem is the rate of development is so slow that it's very hard to see it at all, especially when you wait a week for something new to come up... and all you get is more Medaka.

For me, who doesn't like Medaka's character (along with many others who don't like the God Mode Sue), it's a turn off seeing so much of her when there's a cast of much more interesting characters in the mix. I just don't see the point of watching godlike characters get more godlike. It's what turned me off to the manhaw Id. Most of the supporting cast is completely overshadowed by Id's strength that they feel like they're just part of the story to take up some space. The only thing that kept me reading was the love triangle between Id, Irlina and Lamia.
Old 2009-12-14, 06:16   Link #1743
vio5555

I think the point though is for us not to know much about Zenkichi right now.

I mean, honestly, why would the director say that Zenkichi is the most interesting after the whole birthday thing popping up in the code.

There's definitely more to him than meets the eye as they've been hinting. But I'd imagine there's a reason for not showing it even though people are complaining about his apparent lack of development.

It is a bit frustrating tho to see him being as useless as the other dude, so that Medaka has to take on all the big fights.
vio5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 06:58   Link #1744
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vio5555 View Post
I think the point though is for us not to know much about Zenkichi right now.

I mean, honestly, why would the director say that Zenkichi is the most interesting after the whole birthday thing popping up in the code.

There's definitely more to him than meets the eye as they've been hinting. But I'd imagine there's a reason for not showing it even though people are complaining about his apparent lack of development.

It is a bit frustrating tho to see him being as useless as the other dude, so that Medaka has to take on all the big fights.
Yeah, I know that there's probably a reason to hold him back. But if doing so is hurting your ratings, then it doesn't make sense to keep people almost completely in the dark about him. It's like he's trying to drive himself into the ground by keeping his growth at a snail's pace.

Of course, given the fact that he's probably already wealthy thanks to his other projects, he probably doesn't really care about MB anymore and is just going through the motions because of his contract.

I am interested in seeing what the story is in chapter 31 when Hard Wrapping explains some stuff about Medaka. I've seen the RAWs and it might be pretty good.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2009-12-14 at 07:13.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 07:24   Link #1745
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Yeah, I know that there's probably a reason to hold him back. But if doing so is hurting your ratings, then it doesn't make sense to keep people almost completely in the dark about him. It's like he's trying to drive himself into the ground by keeping his growth at a snail's pace.

Of course, given the fact that he's probably already wealthy thanks to his other projects, he probably doesn't really care about MB anymore and is just going through the motions because of his contract.

I am interested in seeing what the story is in chapter 31 when Hard Wrapping explains some stuff about Medaka. I've seen the RAWs and it might be pretty good.
Yeah, the biggest problem like you said is that Medaka is so one dimensional from a personality/character point of view that she can't carry the manga by herself for an indefinite period of time or people will get bored.

Hopefully though we're getting to a point where that doesn't have to be the case. They keep hinting at that but it probably won't come true till later on...
vio5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 08:47   Link #1746
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vio5555 View Post
Yeah, the biggest problem like you said is that Medaka is so one dimensional from a personality/character point of view that she can't carry the manga by herself for an indefinite period of time or people will get bored.

Hopefully though we're getting to a point where that doesn't have to be the case. They keep hinting at that but it probably won't come true till later on...
And that's where the issue lies. If it does get canceled due to low rating (though the series has been lucky so far that all the new series have really sucked), then all the time we were waiting for something to happen goes down the drain. It'll end up feeling like a waste.
Old 2009-12-14, 12:17   Link #1747
ZODDGUTS

New Rankings:

Quote:
#03-04/2010 Bottom 5:
Kashikoi Ken Lilienthal
Medaka Box
Kuroko no Basket
Hokenshitsu no Shinigami
Ane-doki

http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showp...&postcount=182
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 19:02   Link #1748
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
New Rankings:
Wasn't Jaguar below Ane-Doki
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 19:06   Link #1749
Iggy_Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeotoxSlayer View Post
Wasn't Jaguar below Ane-Doki
Jaguar is always on the bottom because the author asked to be put there, it's not included in the bottom 5
Iggy_Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 19:09   Link #1750
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_Pop View Post
Jaguar is always on the bottom because the author asked to be put there, it's not included in the bottom 5
Well that's ure strange, why would the author ask for that?
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 19:11   Link #1751
Iggy_Pop

Quote:
don't know, but that's the truth
Iggy_Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 19:59   Link #1752
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
The series isn't ranked, ever. Many believe because they want their magazine to end off with something light-hearted, or whatever. In any case, nobody counts Jaguar as ranked, ever, so let's not dwell on it.

Last edited by Kurosu; 2009-12-14 at 22:56.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 20:54   Link #1753
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
It's a gag manga and it's a series that won't be cancelled otherwise it would have been cancelled a long time ago just because it ranks in the bottom always.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 05:40   Link #1754
K3cT
Arcadia of My Youth

Send a message via MSN to K3cT
I kinda forgot to catch up with the series so here I am at the latest chapter. Let's just say that the series has been really weird lately, I'm not sure I like it or not.

They should just remake the series with that swim girl as the main character. It would be far more interesting than the strange mess we have right now.
K3cT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 17:24   Link #1755
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3cT View Post
I kinda forgot to catch up with the series so here I am at the latest chapter. Let's just say that the series has been really weird lately, I'm not sure I like it or not.

They should just remake the series with that swim girl as the main character. It would be far more interesting than the strange mess we have right now.
Tell me about it. I always thought the series was a little strange, but since the battle portion of things were introduced, it feels like the manga has gone off the deep end. So much so, that it has me wondering if Nishio really planned it to be strange and random or if he's just flustered and floundering for ideas in an attempt to get ratings up. Or maybe he's just high while writing it. Or maybe he doesn't care.

Right now, I'm waiting on the translation for chapter 31 because it looks like we'll get a little bit more explanation of what's going on. Whether this will clear things up or just add to the weirdness, we'll have to wait and see.
Old 2009-12-17, 02:25   Link #1756
Westlo
Lets be reality

Strong second week for Medaka Box Vol 2, I think it's here to stay. It outsold Pysren Vol 8 first two week totals and I doubt Hokenshitsu, Rilienthal, Neko Wappa and Kanata Seven get anywhere near it. It's also only 20,000 copies behind Sket Dance Vol 10... and Sket Dance is more than likely going to get an anime for 2010.. a vcomic and 2 drama cds pretty much indicates that...

18, *27,947 *,82,141 Medaka Box vol.2

I think how quickly Medaka Box vol 1 sold through it's first print (news of a second print was announced very quickly) saved the manga the first time, Vol 2 shows that was the right decision.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 07:30   Link #1757
KLGChaos
The Shermain

I scanned through chapter 32's RAW... and I'm now done with the manga.

Spoiler:

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2009-12-17 at 08:17.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 07:51   Link #1758
Lummie

Hmm...

Spoiler for Chap 32:
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 07:57   Link #1759
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummie View Post
Hmm...

Spoiler for Chap 32:
Spoiler:
Old 2009-12-17, 08:08   Link #1760
Lummie

It annoys me that Nishio doesn't mention a lot about Medaka Box when they interview him but instead he solely focusses on his succes with Bakemonogatari. It's like the guy already gave up on this manga. I think that's why he doesn't care about dissapointing us the readers with such chapters.
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council