AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Extra Episode (Tomoyo Chapter) Rating
Perfect 10 161 54.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 83 27.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 9.06%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 4.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 1.68%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.01%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.34%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.34%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 1.34%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-18, 21:47   Link #81
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Spiritually, we'll just have to be content with how much of the other cast we'll get in After Story... hopefully. Realistically speaking, it should happen to a lesser degree, considering the bonds that were built up throughout 23 episodes of Clannad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
If a debut showing by P.A. Works can do so much better than that from a similar angle, then Sunrise really doesn't have any excuse.
There's no excuse, because that's just the way Sunrise is. Sunrise is an awkward studio with awkward priorities most of the time. When shows like PlanetES, Kekkaishi and Iroha employs better visual presentation than their mainstream shows, you just know there's something strange.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2008-07-18, 22:21   Link #82
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Spiritually, we'll just have to be content with how much of the other cast we'll get in After Story... hopefully. Realistically speaking, it should happen to a lesser degree, considering the bonds that were built up throughout 23 episodes of Clannad.

There's no excuse, because that's just the way Sunrise is. Sunrise is an awkward studio with awkward priorities most of the time. When shows like PlanetES, Kekkaishi and Iroha employs better visual presentation than their mainstream shows, you just know there's something strange.
I don't know, other then that one shot that wasn't meant to garner as much attention as it did being an up and away shot (except with people who choose to focus solely on the negative), that show was as consistent as this one I found. They also needed a lot of money and focus to be devote to the final few episodes where it was like non-stop battle after non-stop battle so they probably cut a few (very few in my book) corners here and there.

Clannad can have a fairly evenspread budget and focus since the setting doesn't change as much nor are is it's cast as large. Also no mecha battles to animate. Plus it also doesn't have to worry about variety in scene types as much and where the money needs to go. That's where they can get the focus and what people frequently call "attention to detail". Why other studios have so much trouble with Visual Novel adaptations like this I don't know.
Old 2008-07-18, 22:24   Link #83
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Quote:
All three storylines ([RK]you, Nagisa and Tomoyo) are mutually exclusive.

velocity7 said that a main reason
Unqiue, of course, but there is no real needing in this stories, this sounds strange a bit, of course. We all know that Kyoto planned to release only School Part without AS part at first.

And Tomoyo After is a direct sequel to Tomoyo's route, so there is a meaning of releasing it, not only as a gift for fans. It should be a base for TA. But who knows, maybe they will add K&R's story as a special again in AS.

Quote:
Also no mecha battles to animate. Plus it also doesn't have to worry about variety in scene types as much
Well, you know... I can answer simplier - serious studios will never do something like this, even in panoramic view.
Old 2008-07-18, 22:27   Link #84
nines
I much prefer the 2d

ahhhh im searching all over for this episode and can't find it anywhere, I really wanna see it keeps tauting me tomoyo dating tomoyo
Old 2008-07-18, 22:45   Link #85
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Its on anime suki. Its labeled epsiode 24, not Tomoyo chapter.
Old 2008-07-18, 22:47   Link #86
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Kyoani could have made a killing if they did more of Tomoyo's story in OVAs instead of a dvd bonus. This ep goes really well with fragrant rice wine. Bah. I wish some millionaire would just pay for her whole arc to be animated.
Old 2008-07-18, 22:54   Link #87
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Quote:
Heh, sometimes I don't get why certain people try to compare CLANNAD (TV) to a mecha series. I mean, if you have to compare, at least compare mecha with mecha like, I dunno, FMP! TSR perhaps?
Because someone thinks that animating mecha is harder. Wrong. In works like Clannad, Air, Kanon the key is their feelings and animation. Properly animate their feelnigs, face, behavour - this all takes a lot of money, and who wants to argue - please don't talk again about "panoramic view, this doesn't matter, blah-blah..." because real studios who always care about their quality will never do this kind of things. And
Quote:
human figures from a distance don't at least look more like human figures rather than pinheads
Fully describe a character takes a lot of time, money and tonns of work.

Moreover, I like Sunrise for Code Geass, but this is really awkward studio because of their visual stuff sometimes.

Last edited by Littm; 2008-07-19 at 02:21.
Old 2008-07-18, 23:23   Link #88
X207
Gamyūsa

its was a pretty good ep. it didnt move me too much BC i knew wat would happen but the more screentime for tomoyo is better than just leaving their situation at the end of ep23. lol of all tomoyo related eps this is the first time i didnt bother to take screencaps bc there's a whole ep with her.
Old 2008-07-18, 23:29   Link #89
anime ronin
death by animeoverdos X_X

just saw the ep...

it took me a minute to get use to seeing tomoyo and tomoya together like that because i was so use to seeing him with nagisa but after i adjusted it ended up being a really great ep! definately felt the emotion between the two and the artwork was great! the music was good too!

PIRATES DOCKING 6!!! GIANT ROBOT SOLDIER!!! BIG EMPEROR!!!
Old 2008-07-18, 23:39   Link #90
X207
Gamyūsa

out of curiosity, was there any reason why they decided to follow up on tomoyo ie tomoyo after rather than any of the other 3 girls (4 if you count kyou)? though i do like how it happened to turn out with the pairing i wanted to see.
Old 2008-07-18, 23:44   Link #91
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

That Gundam 00 scene is fixed in the DVD, so not that it matters. Jeez. Sunrise may not be Madhouse, even they're working at like 5 to 6 series at a time. More if you count movies and OVAs in production.

To be fair, it's not an excuse for them either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littm View Post
Because someone thiks that animating mecha is harder. Wrong. In works like Clannad, Air, Kanon the key is their feelings and animation. Properly animate their feelnigs, face, behavour - this all takes a lot of money, and who want to argue - please don't talk again about "panoramic view, this doesn't matter, blah-blah..." because real studios who always care about their quality will never do some kinde of things. And
Actually, it is. Animating 'static' mecha is indeed harder, more time-consuming and expensive, even if it doesn't look it. A staff on G-L once commented that G-L's semi-organic look was thought for it to not only be more expressive in animation, but to make it easier to animate if I'm not mistaken. Same with the choices to reduce the number of lining for the MS in 00 season 2.

Of course, you can say that animating mecha expressions is easier since it's just drawing the same face, but that's about the only thing.

Anyway, this isn't proper anyway. Comparisons with mecha series does not really work for CLANNAD, especially this Tomoya OVA more so than others even from merely an animation standpoint. The value and execution of the scenes are different. You can actually make 'some' comparison for the TV series, but er... not really the OVA. In terms of tone and presentation, it's better to put this in comparison with things like Iroha, TokiKake, etc which also worked on the visual mood and expression.

Anyway, back to CLANNAD.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-07-19 at 02:00. Reason: nevermind, false alarm
Old 2008-07-19, 00:31   Link #92
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
out of curiosity, was there any reason why they decided to follow up on tomoyo ie tomoyo after rather than any of the other 3 girls (4 if you count kyou)? though i do like how it happened to turn out with the pairing i wanted to see.
Now, this is all my guess, but i think Tomoyo may be the most popular, or second most popular character so they tried to take advantage of that. Tomoy is the only character to have an After game (if you don't count Nagisa who is the default ending). The Tomoyo After game which sold really well in Japan based on the story continuing from this. Also, Tomoyo and Kyou are the two shortest arcs in the anime, mainly because if they followed them it would be hard to end with Nagisa, and i guess they only had time for one and Tomoyo was the more popular of the two.
Old 2008-07-19, 02:06   Link #93
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Unqiue, of course, but there is no real needing in this stories, this sounds strange a bit, of course. We all know that Kyoto planned to release only School Part without AS part at first.

And Tomoyo After is a direct sequel to Tomoyo's route, so there is a meaning of releasing it, not only as a gift for fans. It should be a base for TA. But who knows, maybe they will add K&R's story as a special again in AS.

Well, you know... I can answer simplier - serious studios will never do something like this, even in panoramic view.
Just want to touch on what Nightengale mentioned a bit and say that before you judge that show based on that one picture and whether or not a serious effort that went into it, you really ought to watch it first. If I judged Clannad based off of one picture of it that casts it in a bad light, say the scene where the world Horoscope is mispelled Holoscope and said that no serious studio would ever do something like that, I don't think you would find that very fair would you?

Everyone makes mistakes and one can find a frame in pretty much any show where they can say "this could have been done better". Doesn't mean that the studio isn't taking the project seriously though.
Old 2008-07-19, 02:10   Link #94
sakuravs

Great episode, despite a little bit sad & tragic moments here. I wish they were doing the same thing like this for Kyou & Ryou as well!!!
I feel like this epi is kind of getting viewers ready for the depression of the Clannad-After Story.

Last edited by sakuravs; 2008-08-04 at 18:46.
Old 2008-07-19, 02:17   Link #95
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I just watched it, and it was a very sweet episode. I didn't understand where it came from, though. Was this something based off the movie (which I haven't seen)?

In any case, I loved it, and the ending sequence was very touching. 10/10
Old 2008-07-19, 04:28   Link #96
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Kaioshin Sama, check your pm. No more offtopic now.

Quote:
I didn't understand where it came from, though. Was this something based off the movie (which I haven't seen)?
Directly from the game.
Old 2008-07-19, 05:15   Link #97
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Ah, I watched it. I'm not in the mood to actually tear it to pieces right now, but I'll give it a score.

Final Rating: 9/10, "Outstanding"

Spoiler for My Rating Scale:
Old 2008-07-19, 05:27   Link #98
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
For one storyline crammed in ONE episode, it did a good job.

I personally felt it would have gained much more as a three episode alternate storyline.

ep1: build-up until the confession
ep2: from this everyday life with the school drama until the breakup
ep3: from the break-up, through Tomoya taking on himself to graduate until the reunion.

But I'll have to do with what is done, so I won't make it a big deal.

Technical-wise, I have nothing to complain, it's Kyoto Animation standards.

As for Tomoya, I'd expect him to fight back a little harder when the vice-prez told him to fck off, but he is not Badass of The Week material. I can give him a thumb up for working by himself without the help of Tomoyo to graduate and find a place in the society.

So I gave it a 8.
Old 2008-07-19, 05:27   Link #99
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Directly from the game.
I see. I have not played the game either. Well, thank you for the clarification.
Old 2008-07-19, 07:28   Link #100
haiz123321
Obey me world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
From what I've heard, the majority of the fans prefered the Tomoyo's ending

Long Live Lelouch! Waiting for Tales of the World:RM2 USA release
Closed Thread