AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-12-14, 17:18   Link #1
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Output to TV, Record from TV

Ok, a few questions regarding to TV-outputs (ie: watching anime fansubs on your TV screen) and Tv-inputs(?) (ie: meaning recording stuff from TV onto your computer).

To play anime fansubs on a TV set (without having to burn or whatever, I mean directly) what equipment would I need and what would it approx. cost (in canadian dollars please ). My house is set up like this.

I'd like to have it from my com to play on the screen in the LR, but this com is connected to my dad's via a network so i can transfer files over there easily and use his computer to watch them if it would be easier. I have a TV in my room but it's the same size as my monitor... so there really isn't a point.

----------
TV-input (ie - recording)(not sure of the "real name" of the process)
I'd like to use this computer (in my room) to record stuff off of my TV in my room. About 13-14ft between the terminal and TV. What would I need, what would it cost. Same questions again.

Thanks
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 17:44   Link #2
7thMethuselah

you do not need alot of equipment to do this : all it takes is 1 cable: a S-VHS cable (that is the name I believe)

Just connect it to your video card : normally your videocard should have 2 slots to connect to, one is used by your monitor, the other one is a different type of slot, use that one.

Now to connect it to the TV, the type of plug required at this end of the cable depends on the type of TV you have. It's really simple actually, just use the plugs on the TV you would normally use for your DVD player.

Now, I assume you are using windows XP : you need to change the following settings : rightclick on you desktop and click settings : in this (probably familiar) screen you have now (the screen to change wallpapers and such) slect the settings tab : You should now have the option to select a second monitor. Just use the "expand desktop to 2nd monitor" option. That should do it.

!!! One more thing : if after doing all this you get a distorted image on your TV that means you'll have to update your video cards drivers. !!!!

The cost? : all it'll cost you is the cable which should be only 10 dollar or so depending on the length.
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 17:56   Link #3
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Thank you ever so much ^_^
Any rules resolution-wise? I use 1280x1024 so... should I lower it down when playing back on TV?
Old 2004-12-14, 18:28   Link #4
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDusk
Any rules resolution-wise? I use 1280x1024 so... should I lower it down when playing back on TV?
You should test it out, I tried several resolutions but some of them do not show the entire image, parts get cut of. The one that works best for me is a resolution a bit lower than the one I have on my PC, it doesn't cut of the image. I have no clue why the other resolutions do not work. I'm talking about the resolutions for the TV screen here, you can change both resolutions independently
Old 2004-12-14, 18:30   Link #5
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Resolution: It depends on your video card. With my set up I need to drop the resolution to 800 x 600 otherwise I just the centre section of the monitor on the TV screen.

Cable: I'm not sure what sort of length of cable is practical when using S-video. Plus, depending on your set-up, you may need to connect the sound to the TV (which would mean more cables).

Since running the cable may be impractical, you might consider using something like a wireless transmitter/receiver set. I use this to connect my PC to a remote TV set where running cables isn't practical. Here's an example of what they are, this is the one I use here.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 18:35   Link #6
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
Cable: I'm not sure what sort of length of cable is practical when using S-video. Plus, depending on your set-up, you may need to connect the sound to the TV (which would mean more cables).
Well, they sell these cables with lengths up to 10 meters, and it's always possibly to use a connector piece to attach several cables. Length shouldn't matter, however having cables across the room could be a problem, I did set it up so they are invisible behind the closets.

Ah I forgot about the sound. It may be necessary to add one cable from your sound card to the tv. Personally i have all sounds redirected to my Stereo which works perfect for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
Since running the cable may be impractical, you might consider using something like a wireless transmitter/receiver set. I use this to connect my PC to a remote TV set where running cables isn't practical. Here's an example of what they are, this is the one I use here.
indeed a more elegant solution
Old 2004-12-14, 18:54   Link #7
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Hm, I'll look into getting one of those nice wireless t/rs
I really like the look of the one you have there, does it work alright? Any ups and downs?
Old 2004-12-19, 12:47   Link #8
saulat_99

Send a message via AIM to saulat_99 Send a message via MSN to saulat_99
Running your computer into the tv is a good idea just don't make the mistake that I made three years ago and plug everything in while the power was on. I lost a vcr and the ability to use a s-video cord. I was sort of curious about the wireless s-video, I have never heard of that but it sounds ideal. Are there any other ways aside from burning or s-video cord to output to a television?
saulat_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-19, 13:27   Link #9
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Hm, I'll look into getting one of those nice wireless t/rs
I really like the look of the one you have there, does it work alright? Any ups and downs?
The one I have is relatively cheap I believe (compared to others I've seen).

It's nowhere near perfect since there is interference now and again but 99% of the time it works fine. I'm sure the image quality also drops because it converts the signal (it mod/demods the signal to FM for transmission) so it does make the image 'softer' therefore some fansub subtitles are difficult to read. BTW, it does sound and vision, the units have the standard three jacks, video, L audio, R audio.

The actual distance between the transmitter and receiver is only about 10 feet (in my set-up) since the PC is upstairs and the TV is directly below downstairs. The units have a small dish antenna but since they units are so close they don't need to be directed in any way. They claim a range of 300 feet.

Thinking about it, I don't remember what the image quality was when I tried connecting the PC direct to the TV (having lugged the PC downstairs so it would be adjacent to the TV), so I'm not actually sure what kind of quality drop there is with the units. I've never done side by side comparisons.

Direct cable is much better but I find it acceptable but then I'm not that picky. If I want quality, I'll watch a DVD.

And to reiterate what saulat_99 mentioned, do make sure you power off before connecting any such units. You are normally safe if just (say) the PC is powered on but make sure whatever you connect to is powered off!
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 13:24   Link #10
philupthetank86

Send a message via AIM to philupthetank86 Send a message via MSN to philupthetank86 Send a message via Yahoo to philupthetank86
how many people here.,.

watch anime that they download off of the internet, on a TV screen by hooking up their computer/laptop to the TV?

if so, please tell me how i can, because it would just make my watching experience so much more enjoyable if i could transport it to other locations to be watched with other people.
philupthetank86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-24, 14:11   Link #11
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

i think this works best in the general forum.

I used a S-video cable, with a video card that has SVideo out.
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-26, 11:12   Link #12
syntex
Error 641

Wow this seem like a really good idea, but I have a 60" inch HD TV will hooking up to that damage the TV? As the manufacture told me hooking up video consoles to the TV might damage it.THX
syntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-26, 11:54   Link #13
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntex
Wow this seem like a really good idea, but I have a 60" inch HD TV will hooking up to that damage the TV? As the manufacture told me hooking up video consoles to the TV might damage it.THX
I've had my video stream from my pc directed to my tv for years, never had any problems. I have a regular tv, not the newer flatscreens.