AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-15, 15:20   Link #1
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

curveball question - Recommended WWII films

I personally don't need any anime suggestions since I don't need them, but I do need some suggestions for some notable live-action movies that focuses on the WWII era.

Several WWII movies that I have enjoyed:

"Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence"
"A Bridge on the River Kwai"
"The Great Escape"
"The Dirty Dozen"
"Saving Private Ryan"
"The Pianist"
"Casablanca"
"The Diary of Anne Frank"
"The Guns of Navarone"
"Tora! Tora! Tora!"
Old 2004-06-15, 15:53   Link #2
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Is there any part or aspect of the war you're particularly interested in? The European front? Russian front? African front? Any major battles? Or just the war in general?

Unfortunately there are thousands of movies about WWII and the events that took place in it. Without knowing of a specific aspect of the war you want to see I could easily list of several hundred movies. -.-;

I'd start by suggesting Catch-22 then pointing you at: http://classicfilm.about.com/library...y/aa041998.htm. The site lists a couple hundred rather good WWII movies but is still missing many good titles.
Old 2004-06-15, 16:22   Link #3
Arwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
I personally don't need any anime suggestions since I don't need them, but I do need some suggestions for some notable live-action movies that focuses on the WWII era.

Several WWII movies that I have enjoyed:

"Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence"
"A Bridge on the River Kwai"
"The Great Escape"
"The Dirty Dozen"
"Saving Private Ryan"
"The Pianist"
"Casablanca"
"The Diary of Anne Frank"
"The Guns of Navarone"
"Tora! Tora! Tora!"
You can try some of these;

Edit; I forgot, Band of Brothers, its a TV series shown on US cable, covers Easy company, 101st Airborne during WW II, its an excellent series that just came out last year.

Cross of Iron- WW II on the Eastern Front, from the German perspective.
Stalingrad- Similar to Cross of Iron, incredibly depressing movie
Das Boot- U-Boats in WW II, one of the best period movies out there.
The Big Red One- US 1st Infantry Division in WW II
Midway- after the battle of the same name
Empire of the Sun- story about a young american boy stuck in an internment camp in China.
The Longest Day- Epic movie covering the Normandy Invasion

Those are just some of the better ones I can think of.
Old 2004-06-15, 17:12   Link #4
Za Paper

Some movies I remember

"Battle of the Bulge"
"A Bridge Too Far" - about the disasterous Operation Market Garden. Star studded cast includes Robert Redford, Gene Hackman, Anthony Hopkins, Laurence Olivier, Dirk Bogarde, and Sean Connery
"Kellys Heroes" - Clint Eastwood stars in this film about a group of GIs who plot to rob a bank
"Patton" - great film
"The Eagle has Landed"
"Force 10 from Navarone" - see Harrison Ford in his early years.
Old 2004-06-15, 17:25   Link #5
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
What you hav'nt seen band of brothers ? I'd also like to suggest the movie Anzio
Old 2004-06-20, 04:06   Link #6
HoboGod
Necromancer

The Plot to Kill Hitler - It was made about 15 years ago, it was a pretty good movie.

Schindler's List - Steven Spielberg directed that one. Probably one of my favorite movies.

The Sound of Music - The first half or so of the movie is filled with singing, children, and sunshine, but then the nazis come rolling in and there finnally an interesting plot.
Old 2004-06-20, 06:02   Link #7
7thMethuselah

Schindlers List : descibes the fate of the jews in the nazi death camps, beautiful movie, makes you think about alot of stuff. Takes place in Poland.

Band of Brothers : A TV series, it's alot like saving private ryan, and gives a realistic view of the way the war really was at the european front.

Bridge over the river Kwai : about a regiment of British soldiers that are imprisoned in a japanese labor camp somewhere in south east asia. The are forced to build a bridge over a strategic river to complete a railway.

Das Boat : a movie over the german U-boats, if you are interested in these, then see it for sure, it shows how miserable life really was onboard the U-boats.

Stalingrad : The battle over stalingrad, the turning point in WWII, if the germans had won here, the so called war at the Eastern Front would've been over. it turned out differently however ...
Old 2004-06-20, 10:25   Link #8
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guts
What you hav'nt seen band of brothers ? I'd also like to suggest the movie Anzio
Band of Brothers was really good... though it wasn't a movie but rather a HBO series... but they do have dvds out... you should still check it.... very nice...
Old 2004-06-20, 20:32   Link #9
sothis

Life is Beautiful -- italian movie, very touching.. about a man who basically lies and convinces his child that the camp is a game, not anything bad...
Old 2004-06-21, 19:57   Link #10
Mugen
Tha slick

Send a message via MSN to Mugen
One of my favourite world war 2 movies was the Thin Red Line. Id check it out, very good on alot of levels.
Old 2004-12-22, 06:39   Link #11
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

The guns of navarone and the (lesser) sequel Force 10 from navarone are well worth your time. Gregory peck tee-hee-hee
Old 2004-12-24, 02:25   Link #12
kuroitatsu
Über Alles

Send a message via AIM to kuroitatsu
band of brothers is a definate must see.. Some of you might not agree with this but its a good drama series that has good action parts. Im going to suggest that you also read Band Of Brothers the book and Citizen soldiers (Both by Ambrose).
Old 2004-12-24, 12:48   Link #13
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Since most people are suggesting only movies about the European fronts, here's some about the African Front:

The Desert Rats - 1953
The Desert Fox - 1951

More than anything I'd suggest watching The Desert Fox as it is a tribute to Erwin Rommel, Germany's most celebrated military genius. The movie covers highlights of his major battles, his involvement in the plot to assassinate Hitler and his martyrdom.
Closed Thread