AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-05-04, 21:15   Link #1001
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Re-watched Kiki's Delivery Service the other day ... absolutely great. This is one of those ones I don't get tired of for some reason.
Old 2012-05-04, 21:56   Link #1002
Haladflire65
*Artist

Just back from The Avengers opening night.

That. Was. So. Much. Fun. I had a wild time. The final battle was exhilarating and everyone got a chance to shine, which I really loved! I liked all the characters and they interacted very well with each other. Loki was a good villain as he was in Thor and Tony was just gold! Awesome one-liners and jokes in there, too - it was fantastic! I didn't like the first half as much but the second totally made me forget about that
Old 2012-05-06, 02:25   Link #1003
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Cabin in the Woods was unexpected good ! With many references specially Evil Dead !
That was funny & entertaining. At first you'll believe that it's like all those crappy Hollywood movies these days but not , it's a kick for them. A must watch
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 16:42   Link #1004
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Way of the dragon for the billionth time
Old 2012-05-11, 19:36   Link #1005
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I have finally watched "All The President's Men" (1976), and I did not move an inch during the entire 136min. This film is a fine example of what good journalism is, before the rise of Murdoch. Stellar acting from both Redford and Hoffman,but it is Jason Robards whose performance I think is the most memorable. I especially like the way the events in the film unfold. I mean we all know what is going to happen but arranging the sequence is a tough one to nail. I read that the filmmakers went to great lengths in an attempt to emphasise the accuracy of Post's offices, even replicas of phone books. Their effort is certainly not in vain. I was very much engaged with the setting of the film because of the authenticity. Just one question to anyone who watched it before, how much of the facts in the film are fiction?

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help

Last edited by MUAHAHAHAHAHA; 2012-05-11 at 19:49.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 19:53   Link #1006
starlol

Korean movie ' My Girlfriend Can See Ghost'.
Turns out to be more freaky than i expected. (I thought it will be mostly romance comedy with very small amount of scary parts).
starlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 19:57   Link #1007
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
I have finally watched "All The President's Men" (1976), and I did not move an inch during the entire 136min.
I just knew you were going to like it!

Quote:
Just one question to anyone who watched it before, how much of the facts in the film are fiction?
As far as I know, none at all. The movie hews very closely to Woodward and Bernstein's book. At the time it was released the events of Watergate were still quite recent and well-known to Americans, and we had only recently watched both the Senate hearings and the House impeachment proceedings. For a long time there was a controversy over whether "Deep Throat" was in fact a real person, or a fictional composite the journalists concocted to protect their sources. We now know that he was a real person, Mark Felt, then the Associate Director of the FBI.

Their successor book, The Final Days, was more controversial, particularly the scenes recounting Nixon talking to the portraits in the White House and asking Kissinger to pray with him. In that book there were fewer witnesses to the events depicted, so we have to rely on the journalists' claim to be telling the truth. I believe Kissinger was a major source for that story. I'm not usually a fan of Oliver Stone's work, but his biopic of Nixon with Anthony Hopkins and Joan Allen was quite compelling. Allen's performance as Pat Nixon was especially poignant.

And, yes, I agree that Robards's portrayal of Ben Bradlee was one of his finest performances, along with his work in Melvin and Howard and, especially, A Thousand Clowns, one of my favorite movies of all time despite its being obviously manipulative.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-05-11 at 20:18.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 20:03   Link #1008
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I just knew you were going to like it!
What can I say? I have faith in movies that you suggest because you have good taste Moreover, it is inconceivable for anyone to dislike this movie. The performance, the almost accurate and authentic setting, chronology of events, excellent directing-it's all that I could ask for and no more.

I must say, I am surprised that this movie did not manage to win more awards, particularly in the acting department.

Anyways, off to hunt for more good classics~

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help

Last edited by MUAHAHAHAHAHA; 2012-05-11 at 20:41.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 22:48   Link #1009
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I just watched it again; it's free for those of us with Amazon Prime accounts. I've probably seen it three or four times now, and it's still remarkably compelling to this day. To someone like you for whom this is all ancient history, I'm not surprised you might think parts of it were fictional. It is hard to imagine that the Nixon Administration, or any Administration, could actually have engaged in the array of criminal activities depicted in the film. And yet they did. If it weren't for that "two-bit burglary" as Nixon once called it, a couple of diligent reporters, and a brave newspaper, we might never have learned about any of it.

By the way if you looked at the credits and wondered who the Frank Wills was who played Frank Wills, he was the actual guard who discovered the break-in at the very beginning of the story. Oh, and Katherine Graham, whose tit John Mitchell said was going to be put through the wringer, was the publisher of the Post; she was 55 years old at the time.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 19:48   Link #1010
MetalCookie

The Avengers

I must see it again. xD
Old 2012-05-12, 21:26   Link #1011
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

What about Bob? just still so funny after watching is so many time
Old 2012-05-13, 00:03   Link #1012
Haladflire65
*Artist

Just watched This Means War, it was just okay, Tom Hardy was really lovely in it though (pretty much the only reason I watched it). I didn't like the ending, the story's really creepy if you think about it, and I don't like rom-coms in general but it was enjoyable enough. I think the action helped a little. I didn't like Chris Pine's character at all >.>
Old 2012-05-16, 11:30   Link #1013
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Just watched Jackass 3.5 was amazing, so funny!
Old 2012-05-16, 15:48   Link #1014
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I watched Margin Call. Not sure what to make of it. It wasn't trying to be a documentary. I suppose it did show the traders as human beings, much like the people who spit in your hamburgers before serving them are human beings. (The difference being that traders make a lot more money and can ruin a lot more people in one sitting, of course.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-16, 23:24   Link #1015
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

Apart from Avenger, my last movie I watched was the first Starship Trooper movie. After so many years, It seems I only remember about 10% of the film. But it was still a good action film.

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 10:11   Link #1016
Haladflire65
*Artist

Finally got around to watching The Artist (2011). Jean Dujardin was great! It was just a really pleasant movie experience, and having seen Singin' in the Rain and learned some film history made it even better. And the dog was amazing.
Old 2012-05-19, 19:27   Link #1017
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Just watched Avatar, I don't have much to say about it. I think I really liked the special effects, but other then that I thought it was just a average film.
Old 2012-05-20, 09:37   Link #1018
Haladflire65
*Artist

I'm spending this long weekend watching movies... which is why I'm posting so frequently here... Yesterday I watched Iron Man 2. I liked it, only really because of Robert Downey Jr. though - I felt the villain was a weak link in film, and I just didn't like the plot as much as the first. I also finally got around to watching Blade Runner: The Final Cut. I haven't seen the Director's Cut in a couple years so this was pretty amazing. SUCH a good movie... I got really emotional at Roy's Tears in the Rain soliloquy :'(
Old 2012-05-28, 08:51   Link #1019
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Watched Transformers 1986, the only good Transformers film
Old 2012-05-28, 19:58   Link #1020
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I finally had a chance to see the classic Kagemusha by Akira Kurosawa. In 1573, a petty theif, who has an uncanny resemblance to the leader of the Takeda clan, is forced to assume the role of leader after the real leader dies.

In my opinion, a very well done film, with so much detail to look at. I think my only critique would be...

Spoiler for battles:

If you have a chance to see this, be prepared, for it is literally 3 hours long.

Endless "Fire, Forest, Wind, Mountain" Soul

Tags
live-action, movie, movies