AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-30, 00:16   Link #21
Qilin
Romanticist

I would really love it the show gave some backstory as to how Hotarou came to practice his "energy conservation" lifestyle. If not, a nice soliloquy would work just fine.

It would do wonders for his character's credibility, I believe.
Old 2012-05-30, 16:15   Link #22
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
I would really love it the show gave some backstory as to how Hotarou came to practice his "energy conservation" lifestyle. If not, a nice soliloquy would work just fine.

It would do wonders for his character's credibility, I believe.
I don't know about that. At least for me, I didn't really raise an eyebrow when he was introduced as an "energy conservation" person. In fact, I still don't see the issue, but really the only thing I can see a backstory doing is setting him up as a dishonest narrator. If people think his current actions go against the whole "energy conservation" thing, I really wonder what a backstory will do.

Considering how active his sister seems to be, you could maybe look at that as an explanation if you want to guess at why he tries to conserve energy .
Old 2012-05-30, 18:41   Link #23
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
I don't know about that. At least for me, I didn't really raise an eyebrow when he was introduced as an "energy conservation" person. In fact, I still don't see the issue, but really the only thing I can see a backstory doing is setting him up as a dishonest narrator. If people think his current actions go against the whole "energy conservation" thing, I really wonder what a backstory will do.

Considering how active his sister seems to be, you could maybe look at that as an explanation if you want to guess at why he tries to conserve energy .
Or y'know, some short monologue as to why he came to prefer his current lifestyle would do. It doesn't have to be a backstory, and it doesn't have to be dramatic. An internal realization would work just fine for me. I mean, he seems so attached to that way of thinking of his, so I thought it would be nice to have some justification for that.

He's not exactly a normal person after all.
Old 2012-06-04, 03:05   Link #24
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

I think someone purpose this theory before. From his comment about his sister in episode 7, I think his energy conservation lifestyle and his insistence on "I'm average" may come from the fact that he was constantly overshadowed by his sister when he was younger. Because there is nothing he can do better than his sister, he think he's average and give up trying.
Old 2012-06-04, 03:49   Link #25
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Have to say the latest episodes have certainly ramped things up in terms of showing Houtarou's interest in Chitanda. That impressive ability to visualize things burned him in the hot springs. Can debate on romantic interest, but at the very least have a necessary attraction there .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
I think someone purpose this theory before. From his comment about his sister in episode 7, I think his energy conservation lifestyle and his insistence on "I'm average" may come from the fact that he was constantly overshadowed by his sister when he was younger. Because there is nothing he can do better than his sister, he think he's average and give up trying.
Think that could be possible. He's clearly shown some impressive talents, but usually just discounts them. His life policy could definitely be related to his sister just being too amazing. Even without his sister around the experiences he had in the past would still influence how he is living now.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:44   Link #26
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Well well, Houtarou certainly is crushing on Chitanda, not that I blame him or anything...

Polaris

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Old 2012-06-04, 18:21   Link #27
Qilin
Romanticist

At the moment, Houtarou holding romantic feelings towards Eru is debatable, but it certainly seems to be headed in that direction. With a 24-episode long anime, I'd be disappointed if this issue isn't addressed sooner or later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
Oh, this is a good one. If it actually turns out this way, I wouldn't have any qualms about it. I really would love it if the relationship between Houtarou and his sister were to be elaborated on sometime in the future.
Old 2012-06-04, 18:44   Link #28
teja208
Critical fanboy

So basically Houtarou is Kuudere for Eru.
Old 2012-06-04, 22:11   Link #29
Shadow5YA

I think it's more attraction than romantic feelings.
Old 2012-06-04, 23:49   Link #30
novalysis

I personally take the position that Oreki belongs to a very rare character archetype.

He is a Male Kuudere, and Hyou-ka is one of those rare shows where we take a look into the thought processes and plausible motivations of a Kuudere.
Old 2012-06-05, 01:53   Link #31
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I personally take the position that Oreki belongs to a very rare character archetype.

He is a Male Kuudere, and Hyou-ka is one of those rare shows where we take a look into the thought processes and plausible motivations of a Kuudere.
Male Kuudere isn't all that rare; in shoujo that is. But yes, it's not very often that the we are able to view the story from their perspective.
Old 2012-06-05, 03:10   Link #32
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
Male Kuudere isn't all that rare; in shoujo that is. But yes, it's not very often that the we are able to view the story from their perspective.
I don't think we've seen a story from a Female Kuudere's perspective though, yet.

Seriously, if Hotarou was of the other gender, there'll be people calling him/her a Rei Clone.
Old 2012-06-05, 03:18   Link #33
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Seriously, if Hotarou was of the other gender, there'll be people calling him/her a Rei Clone.
Even though we have seen him with emotions and expressions?
Old 2012-06-05, 04:48   Link #34
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Even though we have seen him with emotions and expressions?
Because we are seeing the story from his perspective. Alot of those "emotions and expressions" come from his monologues and internal thought processes.
Old 2012-06-05, 04:56   Link #35
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Because we are seeing the story from his perspective. Alot of those "emotions and expressions" come from his monologues and internal thought processes.
And don't forget Chitanda hallucination as well. I think Houtarou is actually more imaginative than what most people given credit to.
Old 2012-06-05, 08:03   Link #36
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Doesn't matter, the point is it's shown and the Audience are aware of it- hence it's quite forced to call him/her a Rei-clone.
Old 2012-06-05, 10:00   Link #37
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Doesn't matter, the point is it's shown and the Audience are aware of it- hence it's quite forced to call him/her a Rei-clone.
Yes, if you watched 3 or so episode of Hyou-ka. Below that point, I'd imagine some haters will still level that charge.

I make the remark of Rei-Clone, because early on, quite a few leveled the charge of Generic Harem Protagonist at Oreki. Which he is not. Far from that in fact. Nor am I calling Oreki a generbent version of one. But he is a male Kuudere (outwardly of course, not in his internal monologues) - or rather, his internal thought processes are a plausible one for a Kuudere.
Old 2012-06-05, 10:38   Link #38
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Male Kuudere... fascinating idea. Outside of a handful of bishis, I haven't seen a lot of that. And it's very rare to see a narrative from a Kuudere character-perspective, be it a male Kuudere or a female one.

Yes, I have to agree, Oreki is like a male version of a Kuudere.
Old 2012-06-06, 21:24   Link #39
Ruby Princess

He's a kuudere for now, but Chitanda's deredere ways are going to rub off on him eventually... >.>
Old 2012-07-03, 22:03   Link #40
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
He's gaining popularity as one of the most liked male characters - enough to spark crossover pairings with him.

Those of you who trawl all over the Internet will get what I mean

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Closed Thread

Tags
characters