AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-07, 03:33   Link #61
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Just on a spur of the moment, I made a music video using Simoun footage and FF6's Aria di Mezzo Carattere:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/memb...o.php?v=113162

Since it is a new show, Simoun hasn't made it into AMV.org's 'confirmed anime' list so I am unable to upload to the org for the moment. Here's a yousendit link:
http://s14.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...X1JVVW7GUH3STY

Use the rapidshare link in the amv.org entry if the yousendit doesn't work anymore.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 18:31   Link #62
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Just on a spur of the moment, I made a music video using Simoun footage and FF6's Aria di Mezzo Carattere
For something done on the spur of the moment, that's pretty neat

Since no-one else has mentioned it here, the nice people at Doremi Fansubs have announced they're working on this series. Yay!
Old 2006-04-08, 01:45   Link #63
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
Since no-one else has mentioned it here, the nice people at Doremi Fansubs have announced they're working on this series. Yay!
*gasp*

Yay! Go Doremi!

I wonder if they'll give it the 'chinese overdrive' treatment like they did for Mai Otome (3 days from air time to distribution), or we'll have to wait a week or more. Either way, I'm really greatful. Just, you know... waiting on shows involving lesbian tendencies can be hard.
Tremalkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 05:39   Link #64
BiZz
God ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremalkinger
*gasp*

Yay! Go Doremi!

I wonder if they'll give it the 'chinese overdrive' treatment like they did for Mai Otome (3 days from air time to distribution), or we'll have to wait a week or more. Either way, I'm really greatful. Just, you know... waiting on shows involving lesbian tendencies can be hard.
Agree with you xD
Waiting it's too hard for me

Keep it up Doremi !
BiZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 11:14   Link #65
thedarksenshi

Yep, thanks for doing this show, Doremi!
thedarksenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 19:33   Link #66
BiZz
God ?

So Simoun episode 2[RAW] is out.
Well we need sub for this one xD It's not easy to guess what they say like the first episode.

Spoiler:
BiZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 20:13   Link #67
wrex_japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiZz
So Simoun episode 2[RAW] is out.
Well we need sub for this one xD It's not easy to guess what they say like the first episode.

Spoiler:
I figure she's crying because
Spoiler:

I think it's good if Doremi subs Simoun... the new character Aeru is like an aggressive Arika from Mai Otome.

I should have my blog entry of this up soon.

Last edited by wrex_japan; 2006-04-10 at 20:49.
wrex_japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 21:03   Link #68
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrex_japan
I think it's good if Doremi subs Simoun... the new character Aeru is like an aggressive Arika from Mai Otome.
Somehow I thought the same thing and the first glance similarities between Aael and Arika are indeed striking. Only, I hope that Aael turns out nothing like Arika... Pretty please! Can I get this little wish?

Episode 2 turned out just as strong as the first one. In some respect, it was even better in the fact that it dealt with a slightly lighter topic (death vs. adulthood), but still managed to produce a memorable emotional impact.

Animation side: once again, everything was clean and beautiful. I still can't get enough of the amazing pastel watercolor backgrounds they are using for this show. It's nothing I've ever seen, adding even more of that "artistic" feel to the show.

Music is one again very interesting and wide-ranging. It's less dramatic (no "fight music"), but it nevertheless fit every single scene like a glove and stood quite firmly on it's own. If there is any other show I can compare this with, it would be .hack//SIGN (you know, before Kajiura got stale and repetetive), where the music sometimes drowned out the dialogue to produce a very memorable effect.

Simoun has something like that, but with better musical talent and range (the regular use of tango in anime must be a first).

My only gripe with the episode is that in the first half of it, it seemed like they didn't pay proper attention to detailing character's faces. Some of them looked rather bland and generic. It wasn't all that bad, but compared to the second half, where the heavy facial nuances returned once again, it was a bit noticable.

For some reason, they are paying a lot of attention to drawing Aael, because she looked good throughout, while Nevreel's face looks a bit simple and too.. well... it's as if they just used Photoshop on her with lots of "fill color". I don't have any better way to explain it, sorry...

The plot was interesting as well...
Spoiler:
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 21:04   Link #69
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Ep 1 out by Doremi!
Old 2006-04-10, 21:05   Link #70
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Episode 1 out from Doremi-fansubs. Mind you, I didn't have any hand in this project (I only created the torrent to release the file), so I have no idea wha this is about.

Seems pretty decent though. Yakumo's voice from School Rumble as a narrator is always a big plus.

Lots of yuri tendencies, as always.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 21:48   Link #71
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Episode 2:
Old 2006-04-11, 01:18   Link #72
friendshipz
lilian gakuen

btw, all the cast for simoun are female..so due to not changing cast once they changed sex, there wont be much changes for a girl to guy accent.

Spoiler:
friendshipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 04:22   Link #73
KamelRed
I put the z0r in w00t.

Not since since I've watched Platinum Hugen Ordian have I shook my head while wondering "WTF?!" aloud while watching anime. That all changed after I saw the first episode of Simoun.

This series is definitely not my bag.
KamelRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 08:53   Link #74
wrex_japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendshipz
btw, all the cast for simoun are female..so due to not changing cast once they changed sex, there wont be much changes for a girl to guy accent.

Spoiler:
Most of the Simoun cast should be female because once you go to the Springs to become an adult, you can't be a Simoun pilot any more, whether you are male or female. The change doesn't seem to be immediate either; it happens gradually. Now, what I'm not sure about are the ruling class aboard that main ship... I've no idea if they are actually all female or if they're really effeminate looking males.
wrex_japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 11:26   Link #75
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Somehow I thought the same thing and the first glance similarities between Aael and Arika are indeed striking. Only, I hope that Aael turns out nothing like Arika...
I was just about to say that. Please, please, please, don't go down that road I can't bear another Arika.

Anyway, the first episode was awesome I must have watched the raw half a dozen times and the opening at least twenty times. And not only because of the shoujo-ai factor, mind you. The music is brilliant, and I love the animation, especially that of all the flying machines.

Spoiler:

It's been a long time since a first episode has managed to move me emotionally that much. The second episode is also nice, just not as much as the first one.

Thank you, Doremi for subbing this one. I just think you need to change some of the names, though, maybe it's just my ears and maybe the official site says something different but I hear something like "Sibylla" and not "Simula". But that's nitpicking, as long as the series stays as good and someone is subbing it I could live with whatever names and terms there are in the sub.

EDIT: Sorry about the spoilers.

Last edited by Matrim; 2006-04-11 at 14:22.
Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 14:13   Link #76
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Matrim, you might want to put that huge spoiler in spoiler tags for episode 1, for the benefit of people who still haven't watched episode 1 yet.
Old 2006-04-11, 15:32   Link #77
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

OK,This totally suprised me.I expected something barely watchable like strawberry panic.And what do I get?Something great,there's seems a lot politics in the background.I really like the monologue with the female voice,it made the first ep less black and white.I hope the rest will be as good as the first ep.

My only problem is that they are overdoing with the yuri.I mean the big zoom on the kiss,isn't that a little too much?But the rest is great,I really like the animation especially the colors.

This is really a nice suprise.
Old 2006-04-11, 16:34   Link #78
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I've just watched most of 2 again, and I have to say I think this is a very good show. The loliesque characters and the yuri aspects may put some people off, but I don't think there's been any real fanservice so far (okay, maybe I have to count the kiss). The characters are becoming real and the story is interesting and well told.

This is a weird world, but in two episodes, I think they've gotten us into it very well. The other sibylla's angst over the pool decision communicated that central event in the sibyllas' lives, and helped us feel more about Nebiriru's situation.

Nebiriru is becoming a very interesting character. Her voice and appearance really get across her conflicted feelings (voice: Takahashi Rieko). And although at first I was a bit put off by Aaeru, her confidence is infectious, and something about her voice really, really works for me (voice: Niino Michi).

This is a serious show so far, and I like it that way. There is a mood under it that too much comedy might break. Despite the action, the show seems to be about the people, their feelings and relationships.

The odd and complex way they do characters' eyes is fascinating. Especially Nebiriru's eyes, which make her seem strange and deep.

The voice-acting cast is studded with big names: Noto Mamiko, Kuwashima Houko, Takahashi Mikako, Toyoguchi Megumi, Mizuki Nana, Koshimizu Ami.

The director, Nishimura Junji, did Samurai Deeper Kyo, Ranma 1/2, Soul Hunter and Windy Tales. The music I find just wonderful, playing with and against the story. It's by Sahashi Toshihiko, who also did the music for FMP, GSD, Rizelmine, Hit wo Nerae, etc., etc. The character design is by Nishida Asako, who was animation director on Fate/Stay Night, Keroro Gunso, GunxSword, Yama to Boshi to Hon, etc., etc. The art director is Kobayashi Shichiro, who also did YKK, Melody of Oblivion, Windy Tales, To Heart, Daa Daa Daa, etc., etc., etc. So we basically seem to have top staff people.

I find the OP quite thrilling -- music and images. The kind of thing that really gets you up for the show. And of course, the Simoun are just fantastic. Who is Jin-seob Song, the mecha designer? The sound effect really works, too.

"Motto takaku. Onegai."
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-04-11 at 16:50.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 16:44   Link #79
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
The odd and complex way they do characters' eyes is fascinating. Especially Nebiriru's eyes, which make her seem strange and deep.
Yes, I have to agree with that.

Quote:
My only problem is that they are overdoing with the yuri.I mean the big zoom on the kiss,isn't that a little too much?
No. BTW, there is less kissing in the second episode so maybe the first episode was a bit deceiving in that respect.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 17:13   Link #80
froinlaven
Wanchu!

The lesbian kisses make me say yes, but the crazy jargon makes me say no! Oh, what am I to do!?

I guess I'll keep watching for now.
froinlaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri