Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-05-18, 19:45   Link #41
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
What hardware are you running and were you using AA and anisotropic filtering?

What resolution?
Old 2011-05-18, 20:29   Link #42
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
What hardware are you running and were you using AA and anisotropic filtering?

What resolution?
If it's any help, I have just about the same performance with the following setting with an I5-750, 4GB Ram and one single 1GB 5850 :-

There is a joke about Witcher needing a 3 GTX580 SLI setup to turn everything on the the max on the GOG forum.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 01:21   Link #43
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Lol i have to same config set as above.
My hardware : I5-2500K , 6870 1Go , 4Go RAM.

3 GTX580 SLI , yeah srly.. a joke..
For the max , i think a 6990 or GTX590 should be fine.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 01:35   Link #44
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
It ought to run fine on my machine then, what with the lower resolution and I don't see a need for AA or AS on a screen this small with this pixel density.
Old 2011-05-19, 01:58   Link #45
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

For all the people who haven't bought the game (I am still downloading it at 120kb =( ) Please DO! This is THE game right now, you have 16 different endings, more than 40 hours of playtime, the game comes with a ton of extras such as an art book, the making of video, a music CD, posters and even a little bust of the main character (if you buy the collectors edition).

The decisions that you make in this game will truly determine the content you get to see; based on your decisions you skip entire zones and quest lines. In other words, you won't be able to see all that the game has to offer in one single play through.

I found this excellent review from Games radar. I hope it convinces you to buy it :P

http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/the-wit...23131251436086
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 02:21   Link #46
kujoe
from head to heel

Oh, I would love to buy and play this game, but I have yet to play the first one.

Unfortunately, time is a precious commodity that I lack.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 02:30   Link #47
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
3 GTX580 SLI , yeah srly.. a joke..
For the max , i think a 6990 or GTX590 should be fine.
That. And with reports saying that the game seems to perform better on one single GPU.

But I still have my doubts on the current generation of Cards being able to handle everything the game have to offer.
Old 2011-05-19, 02:42   Link #48
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
With PC gaming, the "will it run" question is always a rough one and (not surprisingly) a reason for a significant amount of piracy. Blame Crysis for that.
And a main reason for the console shift too. Getting a PC game to run ranges from annoying to a total nightmare, where a console game is pop in the disc and play.

But yeah, I'm going to make sure I can actually run the game first before I buy it.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 03:03   Link #49
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
And a main reason for the console shift too. Getting a PC game to run ranges from annoying to a total nightmare, where a console game is pop in the disc and play.

But yeah, I'm going to make sure I can actually run the game first before I buy it.
This is not true at all. Unless you have very minimal knowledge of computers you can run almost any game out there with a low budget PC. The most important aspect is that you have a video card that is able to accelerate 3d graphics with at least 256 of ram (Which is almost any card at this point in time) as well as 2gig of ram and a single core processor clocked at 2.5ghz. With that simple spec you can run 70% of the games out there with good FPS if you adjust the settings accordingly. Could you run this game with such an outdated computer? Of course not but the minimum requirements to play it aren't that bad either:

Minimum specs

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or AMD equivalent
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800, 512 MB memory or ATI equivalent
Memory: 1 GB for Windows XP / 2 GB for Windows Vista and Windows 7
Hard Disk: 8 GB for the game installation and 8 GB for bonus materials

I am pretty sure most people in this forum have PCs that met such requirements, including you
Old 2011-05-19, 05:29   Link #50
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

"having the required minimun specs" and "being able to run a game well" are two entirely different things. A PC may have the required specs, but still be unable to run a game because of drivers, settings that need to be tweaked, bugs, incompatibility issues, the list goes on and and on.

Yes, 90% of these problems can be fixed, but doing so can take hours (Dragon Age Origins was one such example for me). Compare that to a console where you can pop in the disk without any of these worries and just start playing the game, and you can start to see why much of the market gravitated towards the consoles.

Also, you shouldn't overestimate that average gamers knowledge of computers. Or perhaps I should say... you shouldn't underestimate your own. For someone knowledgeable in PC's, a problem may look easy and rather obvious to fix, but for many others that same problem might seem impossible to fix.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 06:00   Link #51
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

So those Fossils at the Board at least have the sense to pass it through despite the game having a higher-than-usual-nudity-and-sex-count. And technically, our local copies are the censored Australian version, not "Asian" releases, please.

Still, I have to give them the credit of not banning any game thus far after these 3 years since the introduction of the rating system.
Old 2011-05-21, 09:41   Link #52
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
<snip>[/URL]

So those Fossils at the Board at least have the sense to pass it through despite the game having a higher-than-usual-nudity-and-sex-count. And technically, our local copies are the censored Australian version, not "Asian" releases, please.

Still, I have to give them the credit of not banning any game thus far after these 3 years since the introduction of the rating system.
I got the US version for a friend from a store in Singapore. You got the Aussie version?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 09:55   Link #53
Who

Quote:

So those Fossils at the Board at least have the sense to pass it through despite the game having ahigher-than-usual-nudity-and-sex-count. And technically, our local copies are the censored Australian version, not "Asian" releases, please.
Highlighted is what got my roommate and his friends to order this game when they were watching me play.

The only complaints I have about this game are the fact that the mouse sensitivity was too laggy (or too fast when I tried adjusting it), but that was fixed by editing the .ini files.
Second complaint is the battle system. As much as this game is superior in other aspects, (I swear, this is like Godwin's Law, the more you talk about the Witcher, the higher chance DA will pop up, or vice versa), DA's battle system is the superior one in my opinion (minus the waves).

Otherwise I'm having a blast with this. First ten minutes were spent dying to the dragon fire, cause I picked the wrong choice in the beginning before realizing it's best to start with the first choice.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 16:08   Link #54
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

I am probably one of the few that LOVES the combat system. Extremely tactical and challenging. Only problem is that when you start out, you don't have a lot of the skills you need to make certain playstyles viable, you have to level up first.

Riposte is a big one, as is the reduction in Vigor cost when Blocking, if you had those two at the start of the game, you'd probably have a lot less complaints.

The prologue also doesn't do a very good job explaining all your options in combat.
Old 2011-05-21, 18:00   Link #55
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:

This is the part where I say, "Blessed are we to have access to Steam."

Haven't played much yet, due to work constraints and stuff, but I totally adored the first Witcher game. I'm playing Witcher 2 with an imported save file from Witcher 1.

Cheers.
Old 2011-05-21, 18:14   Link #56
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I got the US version for a friend from a store in Singapore. You got the Aussie version?
The Oz physical copies are dime-a-dozen everywhere I looked and enquired. Pray tell where I could get some alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
This is the part where I say, "Blessed are we to have access to Steam."
Aye. But I adore the junks that they threw with the hardcopies where I can at least have a feel and touch.
Old 2011-05-22, 04:36   Link #57
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Aye. But I adore the junks that they threw with the hardcopies where I can at least have a feel and touch.
It is actually worth it buying the hardcopy. It is not only cheap compared to most games now that retail for $60 or more, and you only get the Disk and manual if you are lucky, with the witcher 2 you get a ton of cool stuff besides the game itself.
Old 2011-05-22, 05:58   Link #58
killer3000ad

Bit of bummer than I just only found out that the Aussie version will be slightly censored. Apparently one of the quests where you could accept sex as a reward has been altered for the Australian release. Oh well, I am not buying Witcher 2 for the booty, but given how poorly DA2 was for me, I really need a proper RPG to fill that hole.
Old 2011-05-22, 08:59   Link #59
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Bit of bummer than I just only found out that the Aussie version will be slightly censored. Apparently one of the quests where you could accept sex as a reward has been altered for the Australian release. Oh well, I am not buying Witcher 2 for the booty, but given how poorly DA2 was for me, I really need a proper RPG to fill that hole.
It's not as bad as it sounds. From what I gathered, instead of giving you a choice, everything goes straight to the hot action. You have the choice of import or download the digital Steam edition if the fact is still eating away at you.

For me, I had the Oz edition for a week now. But I'll still be picking up the Euro or American release if I see one lying about. I mean I already own 2 copies of the first game (The buggy 1st edition and the EE), so what the hell.
Old 2011-05-23, 05:58   Link #60
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Just finished The Witcher 2, so a short review of sorts.

Let me start with the bad:

Cons:
A) The Prologue did a terrible job as a tutorial, it didn't explain things nearly as thoroughly as it should have, and it had a very strong "sink or swim" vibe to it. While this may be fine with some people, a majority will complain about the sheer difficulty of combat simply because they don't know how to utilize half the skills they have, and it isn't really their fault.

For the record, I just started a new playthrough and everything feels much easier this time around. A lot of the fights that frustrated me in my first playthrough were almost a joke with me actually knowing the ins and outs of the combat system.

B) Instant Death quicktime events; the sheer frustration of having to re-do an entire boss fight/area due to a single fumbled click is where 50% of my frustration was in this game. I could understand large chunks of damage, or limiting it to areas where you recently got an auto save, but it was just obnoxious in most cases.

C) The Dragon "chase" scene in the prologue. It was inconsistent, buggy, and killed me more then all the other events in the game combined, and I was playing on hard!

D) Quests; most were fine, great even, but some quests either had terrible descriptions of what you needed to do, or simply didn't tell you where to go. The Nekker bounty quest was particularly annoying, as one of the burrows is so far away from other 3, that I killed basically everything in that forest (twice) looking for it.

E) Experience, far too slow early in the game and far too fast late game. During the Prologue and Act I, the experience came slow and you had to work hard for it. Then suddenly, Act II began and I gained 4 levels and experience was suddenly coming in at a breakneck pace. If the experience gain was faster at the start, it would have let players get access to many of the skills necessary to make combat flow better. It just didn't feel like experience had a good pacing to it.

Now for the Good:

Pros:

A) The Graphics, Storyline, Music were all absolutely amazing.The Storyline was very interesting, with lots of twists and moral dilemmas. The Graphics added immensely to the atmosphere, the environments were wonderful to behold and everything looked beautiful in motion. The Soundtrack was top notch, and it really added to the overall atmosphere of the game. Probably the best combination of the above I have ever seen in any game, ever.

B) Combat, while initially frustrating, was incredibly fun and in-depth once I got the hang of it. The Swordplay, Magic and Alchemy all blended wonderfully in the art of death. I had a ton of fun using traps and magic to supplement my swordplay.
Once you get it, the Group Deathblow is very fun and impressive to see.
1 playthrough isn't nearly enough to explore al the wonderful skills in the game.

----

While the Con list may seem large, the overall impact of the 2 Pros is not to be underestimated. I honestly haven't had this much fun with a single player game in forever. Even The Witcher (which I loved) doesn't really hold a candle when compared to its sequel.