Honeysuckle

for anyone interested

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibyl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miko
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itako
Honeysuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-16, 13:29   Link #1442
sergho

The Oracle at Delphi used to tell Greek Kings who could and couldn't go to war, among other decisions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythia
sergho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-17, 12:17   Link #1443
Fahd
* >/dev/null

A programme titled: Beckii: Schoolgirl Superstar at 14 aired on BBC Three yesterday, which may be of some interest. Here's the synopsis:

Quote:
Documentary telling the story of 14-year-old Rebecca Flint, an ordinary schoolgirl from the Isle of Man who in Japan becomes Beckii Cruel, a teen icon and an internet sensation.

Beckii became famous in Japan after uploading films of herself dancing on YouTube. She did this secretly, without telling her parents. This intimate documentary has exclusive access to her as it explores the real world of Beckii and the other British teenage girls who hope to become famous in Japan.

Beckii's breakthrough posting attracted almost half a million hits and showed her miming an eccentric Japanese dance called danjo. Beckii was then approached by a Japanese music manager who quickly helped her to take Japan by storm. Since August 2009 she has recorded five singles, released her own DVD and appeared on Japan's biggest TV shows. Now she wants success in the UK and there are a lot of businessmen ready to help her crack the teen market.

Despite getting the fame every girl is supposed to dream of, life is not easy for this 14-year-old. Being a child doing a job in a very adult world isn't always fun and games. Balancing two different lives on opposite sides of the world is tricky, and wrestling with the consequences of a mainly male Japanese fan base can be embarrassing, especially if you've never even had a boyfriend.

The film explores the fascinating world of Japanese anime and manga - crazes that grip millions in Japan and tens of thousands here – and shows that other girls see Beckii's success and decide they too might like to be big in Japan. But although getting famous seems as simple as uploading a crazy dance, the implications of being famous at 14 are anything but straightforward.
It's available to watch for the next few days (7 I think?) on iPlayer, although only for people with UK IP addresses. Apologies if this is the wrong thread. I wasn't sure if it belonged here, or in the news thread.
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 10:13   Link #1444
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
All women are confusing and mysterious to men -- how they react varies from culture to culture. "Women's intuition" .... wow, I haven't heard that used in decades so I'd say that's a dead meme even in Western culture (except in some retrograde quarters perhaps). I've not come across any such specific idea in Japanese cultural studies... only that women and men have different focus in spiritual energies (somewhat like 'yin-yang' ideas).

On another topic, Japanese architecture -

The rest of the article is at http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201008150113.html
The "women's intuition" is still very present in French culture, commonly referred to as "intuition féminine".

And thanks for the architecture update.
Old 2010-09-01, 21:12   Link #1445
Kudryavka

Question: What would happen if I walked into a Japanese school with my outdoor shoes on? and I was a student (Let's not factor in any cultural sympathy from Japanese because I'm foreign)?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-01, 21:18   Link #1446
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Question: What would happen if I walked into a Japanese school with my outdoor shoes on? and I was a student (Let's not factor in any cultural sympathy from Japanese because I'm foreign)?
In many schools, they'd gasp, be shocked and appalled but probably too aghast to say anything. You'd confirm their worst fears about 'gaijin'

Its likely a teacher would probably take you to one side and set you straight, probably apologizing as much as lecturing.

Outside shoes are dirty - since the students have to participate in keeping the school clean, it probably wouldn't score points with them either.
Old 2010-09-01, 21:19   Link #1447
Kudryavka

Quote:
In many schools, they'd gasp, be shocked and appalled but probably too aghast to say anything. You'd confirm their worst fears about 'gaijin'

Then a teacher would probably take you to one side and set you straight, probably apologizing as much as lecturing.
Oh, I thought the girls would just giggle and destroy your social life. Didn't think it'd be so appalling, is interesting.
Old 2010-09-01, 21:28   Link #1448
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've met more than a few japanese who actually seem traumatized at the idea that Americans wear their outdoor shoes _in_the_house_.

There's a bit of Shinto lore mixed up in this though many Japanese may not even realize it anymore unless they study Shinto.

Ah well.. our house has a moderately enforced "no outside shoes inside" policy -- it really does help keep things cleaner.
Old 2010-09-01, 21:43   Link #1449
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Wonder what they'd think about me, all I ever wear are thin sandals or my bare feet. Unless I'm in a place where I can't pull that off. Americans think I'm weird enough for that as it is
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-01, 21:43   Link #1450
Kudryavka

Quote:
I've met more than a few japanese who actually seem traumatized at the idea that Americans wear their outdoor shoes _in_the_house_.

There's a bit of Shinto lore mixed up in this though many Japanese may not even realize it anymore unless they study Shinto.

Ah well.. our house has a moderately enforced "no outside shoes inside" policy -- it really does help keep things cleaner.
I know quite a few Americans who don't allow outdoor shoes in the house. But they don't follow up on that, they just go barefoot around the house, which not only gives you dirty feet, but feet have been proven to be better germ carriers than shoes. I'd love to have a Japanese-style shoe policy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Wonder what they'd think about me, all I ever wear are thin sandals or my bare feet. Unless I'm in a place where I can't pull that off. Americans think I'm weird enough for that as it is
Really? Do you live in a warm climate?
Old 2010-09-01, 23:21   Link #1451
FateAnomaly

Quote:

Its likely a teacher would probably take you to one side and set you straight, probably apologizing as much as lecturing.

Outside shoes are dirty - since the students have to participate in keeping the school clean, it probably wouldn't score points with them either.
But teachers and visitors to the schools don't have to change shoes right? Isn't it kind of a double standards.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-02, 00:30   Link #1452
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
But teachers and visitors to the schools don't have to change shoes right? Isn't it kind of a double standards.
Yeah, it is a double standard ... though I imagine some schools require the adults to change shoes as well. Speculating at this point, but I imagine the IR-rationale is that there's only a few teachers/staff versus all those students.
Old 2010-09-03, 02:39   Link #1453
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Quote:
Yeah, it is a double standard ... though I imagine some schools require the adults to change shoes as well. Speculating at this point, but I imagine the IR-rationale is that there's only a few teachers/staff versus all those students.
Actually they do since they have their own entrance and shoebox with guest slippers available.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-03, 18:56   Link #1454
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Quote:

It is practical! I've notice vacuuming is required much less frequently! I've been doing it since middle school... before I was even aware of such cultural practices.
Old 2010-09-04, 07:51   Link #1455
Langus
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Actually they do since they have their own entrance and shoebox with guest slippers available.
I can vouch for this. The guest slippers of death are well known in Japan. They are always green or maroon and never actually fit your feet properly. Inevitably they will make you climb stairs while you are at the school for some ungodly reason, just to watch you try not to trip in them.
Old 2010-09-05, 09:37   Link #1456
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langus View Post
I can vouch for this. The guest slippers of death are well known in Japan. They are always green or maroon and never actually fit your feet properly. Inevitably they will make you climb stairs while you are at the school for some ungodly reason, just to watch you try not to trip in them.
LOL I've never been to Japan, but in my mother in law's home, we had to take off our shoes, and they had a cabinet with slippers in it...

Well, truth be told, I have rather large feet for a woman (I wear a size 9.5-10 women's), so needless to say, none of said slippers fit We hit walmart for a set to keep just for me hahaha

else I'd've been mincing around in her size 5's which might fit my big toe :P

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 09:52   Link #1457
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
In my house, I don't mind so much wearing shoes... But I hate it when people wear shoes in my bedroom.
Old 2010-09-07, 07:51   Link #1458
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Japanese newspaper explaining anime's global appeal to its readers..... (amusing)

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0100907i1.html
Old 2010-09-07, 11:57   Link #1459
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Japanese newspaper explaining anime's global appeal to its readers..... (amusing)

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0100907i1.html
Interesting, so foreign sales really only make up less than 10% of the anime market, maybe that's foreign audience's are often made to wait for legal releases abroad.
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-07, 17:25   Link #1460
Qikz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
Interesting, so foreign sales really only make up less than 10% of the anime market, maybe that's foreign audience's are often made to wait for legal releases abroad.
Probably, because by the time legal releases are out in America (yeah, they hardly ever reach England), they aired months ago and watching them that late is annoying! I want to watch it live or, buy the merchandise and stuff live Japan! Thanks to the internet, I can do both though. <3

Also, it doesn't help with the fact the only stuff they ever officially translate is stuff that a lot of people are not interested in. Like at the local convention we have in London every May and October, the only translated Manga is either Manga from like the 80's I've never heard of, or Bleach/Naruto/One Peice which really doesn't interest me.
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture