Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-03-11, 15:17   Link #4541
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I would say Americans like freedom of movement that is not quite provided by mass transit. Also the idea that time is money and the extra hour or so mass transit can put on your trip at times makes that clear...depending on if that is not countered by the cost of movement via car.
Having lived in a few cities where mass transit worked... I'd say this is an unfortunate fixation we have. The size of our country means we'll always need *some* sort of personal transport but large cities and commute corridors *need* to get out of this "addiction mode" with the status quo.

I have seen some very interesting 'people pod / smart road' solutions but that takes some political will and R&D that we as a country seem to be lacking anymore (looks back to the Interstate system project of the mid-20th C.).
Old 2011-03-11, 15:20   Link #4542
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Having lived in a few cities where mass transit worked... I'd say this is an unfortunate fixation we have. The size of our country means we'll always need *some* sort of personal transport but large cities and commute corridors *need* to get out of this "addiction mode" with the status quo.

I have seen some very interesting 'people pod / smart road' solutions but that takes some political will and R&D that we as a country seem to be lacking anymore (looks back to the Interstate system project of the mid-20th C.).
not me, i bought my house very close to where my office and is also in walking distance of the grocery stores. i probably end up filling my car maybe 14 - 15 times a year i could careless how much you guys pay for gas.
Old 2011-03-11, 15:23   Link #4543
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
not me, i bought my house very close to where my office and is also in walking distance of the grocery stores. i probably end up filling my car maybe 14 - 15 times a year i could careless how much you guys pay for gas.
Yeah, that's one of the solutions.

The only problem I can see with that is the instability of "modern employment under our corporate idiot-masters". You'd hate to have to move every time some troll accountant makes the numbers look good for the quarterly report by laying off staff.

There's just a lot of mental modes we need to reject to actually solve some problems (or go back to modes that actually worked). Those modes benefit the very few at the expense of everyone else.
Old 2011-03-11, 15:41   Link #4544
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Yeah, that's one of the solutions.

The only problem I can see with that is the instability of "modern employment under our corporate idiot-masters". You'd hate to have to move every time some troll accountant makes the numbers look good for the quarterly report by laying off staff.

There's just a lot of mental modes we need to reject to actually solve some problems (or go back to modes that actually worked). Those modes benefit the very few at the expense of everyone else.
independent contractor - paid on commission only and can office where ever i want, except home.

the company call us business partners

i call it employees without benefits.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2011-03-11 at 15:57.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 15:49   Link #4545
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
independent contractor - paid on comission only and call office where ever i want, except home.

the company call us business partners

i call it employees without benefits.
Yes, you would be correct.... or "temp slave". You could delude yourself with the term "mercenary" I suppose
Old 2011-03-11, 22:43   Link #4546
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Man dies after being run over by his own stolen car
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1939537/
Old 2011-03-16, 09:48   Link #4547
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Justin Bieber unveils his wax figure!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_16...-10391698.html
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 10:34   Link #4548
sa547
*Author

After the official Lambo service center couldn't fix his Gallardo, a disgruntled wealthy driver decided to have the whole supercar wrecked up for World Consumer Rights Day:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-12759961
http://www.wheels.ca/Consumer%20News/article/794507
Old 2011-03-16, 11:47   Link #4549
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Ivy League-minded mom sues preschool for $19,000
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1944001/
Old 2011-03-16, 11:58   Link #4550
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Ivy League-minded mom sues preschool for $19,000
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1944001/
It's double crazy: one, it's another example of using needless legal action for even the most trivial of things, and two, it shows that this mom is nuts about preordaining her child to enter Harvard.
Old 2011-03-16, 23:59   Link #4551
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Fiction met ‘gruesome’ reality for murder suspect, court hears
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1944136/
Old 2011-03-17, 02:50   Link #4552
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

The bizarre Nazi book craze
Old 2011-03-17, 03:28   Link #4553
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I Loled at this.
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 04:06   Link #4554
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
The person who wrote this article... I'm not sure rates the title of 'journalist'. They certainly didn't do their homework.

Of COURSE people are fascinated with evil - its incomprehensible and they want to understand its motivation. Why is Darth Vader much more a hit than the whiny Luke?

The Nazis, as horrible as they were, were also almost impossible to parody as they were so over-the-top anyway. They actually *were* looking for Atlantis, space weapons, and the Ark. They *were* trying to see if the occult would give them an edge. Some of them were certified space cadets of the scary kind.

The "craze" is not bizarre nor is it even new. The German war machine was spectacular in its prime and deserves to be studied by military historians no matter who was driving the bus, as was the Roman Empire, and the Persians, and the Mongols, and anyone else who was such a game-changing force.

My review is that the author of the article simply thought he'd get more eyeballs by using the words "nazi" with "craze" ..... pot kettle black

Speaking of the Roman Empire... Ninth Legion article of interest:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12752497
Old 2011-03-17, 15:14   Link #4555
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
The person who wrote this article... I'm not sure rates the title of 'journalist'. They certainly didn't do their homework.

Of COURSE people are fascinated with evil - its incomprehensible and they want to understand its motivation. Why is Darth Vader much more a hit than the whiny Luke?

The Nazis, as horrible as they were, were also almost impossible to parody as they were so over-the-top anyway. They actually *were* looking for Atlantis, space weapons, and the Ark. They *were* trying to see if the occult would give them an edge. Some of them were certified space cadets of the scary kind.

The "craze" is not bizarre nor is it even new. The German war machine was spectacular in its prime and deserves to be studied by military historians no matter who was driving the bus, as was the Roman Empire, and the Persians, and the Mongols, and anyone else who was such a game-changing force.

My review is that the author of the article simply thought he'd get more eyeballs by using the words "nazi" with "craze" ..... pot kettle black
While I don't think it's a very interesting topic either (might as well wonder about the Beatles "craze"), he does acknowledge that his so-called craze is decades old. Indeed, the question he poses is why it's so enduring. And he points out that "they were evil" isn't enough to explain it, as Stalin or Mao didn't elicit that kind of interest.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 15:42   Link #4556
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
While I don't think it's a very interesting topic either (might as well wonder about the Beatles "craze"), he does acknowledge that his so-called craze is decades old. Indeed, the question he poses is why it's so enduring. And he points out that "they were evil" isn't enough to explain it, as Stalin or Mao didn't elicit that kind of interest.
Stalin and Mao lacked the fashion styling the nazis had.... I'm not actually being totally goofy here. The Nazis were careful to pick style memes that exuded confidence, authority, power. They were pretty deft at choosing symbolic dress elements for that. They were masterful at appealing to the inner gods and demons. The Roman Empire is still a 'craze' for much the same reasons (and they were more successful at Pax Romana than the Nazis ever had a notion of).

Yeah, down in the content he admits something more truthful ... but as any newspaper editor will tell you - most readers read the headline and 1-5 paragraphs after that. So most articles of this type put all the inflammatory hyperbole up front and then the mea culpa in the middle and end.
Old 2011-03-17, 15:47   Link #4557
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Civil liberties group supports polygamy in landmark court case
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1946313/
Old 2011-03-18, 04:00   Link #4558
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Civil liberties group supports polygamy in landmark court case
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1946313/
Somewhere out there, SaintessHeart is dancing with joy.
Old 2011-03-18, 04:29   Link #4559
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Somewhere out there, SaintessHeart is dancing with joy.
Stop demonising me! It's....it's not like I......I support having multiple waifus!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 08:22   Link #4560
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Stop demonising me! It's....it's not like I......I support having multiple waifus!
Lets just say than KiNA is a better candidate.

Tags
humor