AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-19, 16:36   Link #1
Rurouni

series to introduce my girlfriend into anime?

Hey guys, since a couple of months I have a new girlfriend. she's seen me watching anime a couple of times and I want to show her an anime to get a good idea of what it's like. I was thinking about Full Metal Alchemist. what do you guys think? good choice or could I better show another series?
Old 2006-12-19, 16:49   Link #2
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

kaleido star - it's a good anime all-around
Old 2006-12-19, 16:50   Link #3
Akeval

Send a message via AIM to Akeval
Hmm you're looking for something not too otaku-ish correct?

does she like violence? FMA seems like a good choice, but you could always let her watch elfen lied, or even chobits. (i hear alot of girls like it)
Old 2006-12-19, 17:09   Link #4
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Depends on what she likes. You could always try one of the broadly accepted Miyazaki films.
Old 2006-12-19, 17:29   Link #5
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Yeah, it helps if you tell us what she likes watching (e.g. Movies, TV shows, etc)

I think Mizuiro 2003 is a pretty safe bet. It's a story of 3 childhood friends reunited after many years. Pretty boring for a typical guy but I think girls might like the storyline. Only 2 episodes, short and sweet.

p.s.

Just make sure you download the right one and not the other version also of the same name "Mizuiro" but is 18+. I think unpleasant things would happen if you show her that. :x
Old 2006-12-19, 17:49   Link #6
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker
unpleasant things would happen if you show her that. :x
Or he could get lucky and have the opposite happen Not all girls are disgusted by hentai hehe (yes, I speak from experience, ahem.)

Ontopic: If she doesn't mind sitting through 52 episodes (seems not, since you're considering FMA), then I'd heartily suggest Full Moon wo Sagashite. It's shoujo, cute, funny, fun, dramatic and romantic, with some really great Jpop songs thrown in for good measure. If she's in any way romantic, she'd probably love it
Old 2006-12-19, 17:49   Link #7
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Azumanga Daioh. Cute, funny and ridiculously nonsensical. It's the one I used to get my cousin into Anime, 1 week later, he came back for better stuff and now he's a licensed Otaku.

@Radiosity: Finally I get a chance to ask you.

WHERE THE HELL does that girl in your avatar comes from? I'm seriously thinking about proposing to her - I mean, downloading that series.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2006-12-19, 18:00   Link #8
K1ngHeatz

Negima?! and Sumomomo momomo is what my girl friend really like it made her smile
Old 2006-12-19, 18:06   Link #9
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity View Post
Or he could get lucky and have the opposite happen Not all girls are disgusted by hentai hehe (yes, I speak from experience, ahem.)
I don't think he should risk it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
@Radiosity: Finally I get a chance to ask you.

WHERE THE HELL does that girl in your avatar comes from? I'm seriously thinking about proposing to her - I mean, downloading that series.
Sayo, from Negima?!
Old 2006-12-19, 18:18   Link #10
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1ngHeatz View Post
Negima?! and Sumomomo momomo is what my girl friend really like it made her smile
erm he wants to introduce his GF to anime not put her off
negima!? is too confusing for a new person and sumomomo is way inappropriate especially if she is a sensitive person

hmm...if she likes comedy here are some good titles
pani poni dash, school rumble, ouran host club, Azumanga Daioh

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-12-19, 18:29   Link #11
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Paniponi Dash, while one of my all time faves, probably shouldn't be given to a beginner. I've seen more than 250 complete series and am watching more all the time, and even then I only get about 20% of the various parodies and references without having to refer to the notes. It's fun and funny as hell, but it works better if you know what they're on about

And as already noted, the gloriously gorgeous girl in my av is Aisaka Sayo from Nagima?! Cutest ghost EVAR
Old 2006-12-19, 18:30   Link #12
mit7059

I would suggest Honey & Clover, the mature story line and great plot would would make the intoduction easier

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-12-19, 18:34   Link #13
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

In the same vein, assuming she can put up with the glam* nature of the series, Paradise Kiss would probably go down well.

* Can't think of the word I want, annoyingly enough. Anyone that's seen it will likely know what I mean though.
Old 2006-12-19, 19:43   Link #14
Lavabyle
A Ninny Moose

For something touching, Air maybe?
I second kaleido star also.

btw, is negima a continuation of mahou sensei negima? Because i really don't like harems surrounding 10 year old boys o.O
Old 2006-12-19, 21:04   Link #15
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

It's an alternate retelling with much better animation and emphasis placed on action rather than romance. It's also incredibly funny (hardly surprising considering the paniponi team are the ones behind this version, and you can see lots of comedy references to PPD throughout Negima?!)
Old 2006-12-19, 22:48   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Not knowing her age or tastes makes this a difficult question.

If you think she'd like something with a more serious theme and strong female characters, I'd recommend Mononoke no Hime or Juuni Kokki. The former is much less of a commitment being a single movie. Juuni Kokki is 45 episodes. You may find the first half-dozen or so slow going, but trust me it picks up quickly thereafter.

Good choices in the high-school comedy genre are Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances), Azumanga Daioh, and School Rumble. If she likes mysticism, she might appreciate xxxHolic. Also the currently airing Asatte no Houkou might have some appeal. If she likes science fiction, you might want to try Crest of the Stars, a nice mixture of adventure and romance, or Scrapped Princess which combines both the fantasy and sci-fi genres in a unique way.

Lastly I'd recommend two very different animes that both appeal to a mature audience, Monster and Bartender. The former is a dark and complex psychological drama, the latter a delightful slice-of-life show about the linkage betwen particular alcoholic concotions and human experiences. There are only five episodes of Bartender out in subs at the moment, and each stands on its own. Monster is 70+ episodes long so you're in for the long haul. If you're like me, you'll have a hard time stopping.

I haven't dealt with the romance genre much here; there are a number of threads in this forum that cover that genre in detail.
Old 2006-12-20, 02:22   Link #17
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

I believe it depends on her tastes. It would also be better to start from some movie or OVA. And it should be something light-hearted.

Some titles:
Ah! My Goddess! - OVA and Movie
Read or Die - OVA
Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi - short TV series
Hataraki Man - TV, but only 3 episodes were translated yet, and they are stand-alone stories
Old 2006-12-20, 11:39   Link #18
Rurouni

yeah sorry, I should've told you guys more about her. She's 23 years old, it's a bit of a wild and impulsive girl, and if you check out her DVD collection, you'll find movies like SWAT, Pirates of the Caribean, Pearl Harbor, LOTR, Bad Boys. So you could say you'll find a lot of blockbuster movies but she also has movies like Message in the Bottle. She likes horror movies but is to scared to watch īm so that's out of the question
Old 2006-12-20, 11:49   Link #19
Duckinator

I second Ah! My Goddess! If she's really new to Anime, I recommend starting from something that's rather light hearted and more to the comedy side.
Old 2006-12-20, 12:06   Link #20
kingdom_elladrel
Ayu-ism

I would HIGHLY recommend Angelic Layer to those who are starting out on anime I would not recommend Fullmetal Alchemist since that might fly over beginners' heads. It's quite a bit more complex.
Closed Thread