AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2016-05-08, 01:21   Link #21
Tenzen12

She does have around three times more charisma than "Bloody" Minmay and Ranka only know what charisma is because person who has it curbstomped her on field of love.

Zentrandi dig everything that sings so I will just blame poor management (Kaname should just do it for herself from beginning).
Old 2016-05-08, 02:26   Link #22
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
She does have around three times more charisma than "Bloody" Minmay and Ranka only know what charisma is because person who has it curbstomped her on field of love.

Zentrandi dig everything that sings so I will just blame poor management (Kaname should just do it for herself from beginning).
Since when Minmay cared about the love field? That was always put as a distraction for her real love (her music career). A crutch when she got depressed (the show) and a fling she didn't care about in the end (DYRL). No opinion about Ranka's charisma because she's a little too kiddish, but when they were on stage, specially Minmay, they owned it (or share it in case of Ranka with more charismatic Sheryl). Kaname slips in the background and Mikumo or Freyja easily dominate the stage. Do you really think Lynn Minmay wouldn't be the main star. That's just ridiculous.

I can't see Kaname becoming some groundbreaking songtress and I like her character. She doesn't have that kind of aura, neither do Reina and Makina, by the way. Freyja and Mikumo definitely, I smell potential.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-08, 03:50   Link #23
Tenzen12

I don't really care about Minmays love life, why are you even react on throw away remark about completely unrelated person? I just said Kaname has three times more charisma than her.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2016-05-08 at 04:01.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-08, 04:21   Link #24
Thess

Quote:
I don't really care about Minmays love life, why are you even react on throw away remark about completely unrelated person? I just said Kaname has three times more charisma than her.
Obviously, the Macross universe disagreed. That's why Minmay became a legend other singers look up and Kaname failed as idol until she hopped into Walkure.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-08, 04:39   Link #25
Tenzen12

Fire Bomber were also quote unpopular before protodevilns showed up.

So yeah, Macross universe has pretty weird tastes.
Old 2016-05-08, 06:16   Link #26
Gravitas Free Zone

For that matter, it's not like Japan (and also the Macross universe) is a stranger to short-lived idol singing attempts, or even short-lived idol success. It could be seen as one of those jobs you try out before the age of 25.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-09, 08:32   Link #27
ReddyRedWolf

Okay the same source in 2ch says not only does Reina likes to eat jellyfish alive she is wondering what Seacats taste like.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-09, 08:35   Link #28
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Okay the same source in 2ch says not only does Reina likes to eat jellyfish alive she is wondering what Seacats taste like.
Heh. Sounds dangerous.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-09, 19:58   Link #29
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
I wonder why Kaname wasn't popular, she looks nice, is decent singer and has great personality. If I should pick between her, Minmay, Ranka or Sharon it wouldn't be difficult choice.

Of course, she can't compare to Sheryl, Basara or Emilia but...who can?
Thess raised some good points, but there's some points I want to add to it.

Walkure seem like genuinely very nice and friendly girls, so far. But if there is an exception, it's Mikumo. She's relatively edgy and very blunt. Combine that with Mikumo's stage presence and leader vibe, and she seriously stands out.

Freyja is the female lead of the entire show, so she's obviously going to stand out. I also think she's a really good character so far, just pointing out that she'd stand out regardless.

So the remaining 3 Walkure girls can fade into the background some. But if you do compare them, Makina and Reina have some edges on Kaname.

First of all, Makina and Reina seem like a very tight pair, making them standout to yuri fans (and I'm not just speaking of myself here - It was another viewer that told me that Makina/Reina gave her yuri vibes).

Makina looks like a conventional moe dream girl. She has the perfect character design for the lead girl in a magical girl show, especially when you factor in her stage outfit. She also benefits from the big breasts, might as well admit to that.

Reina has a pretty cool Black Rock Shooter thing going on. Her character design and personality have a good harmony to them in that her personality is more or less what you'd expect it to be given her character design.

There's nothing wrong with Kaname's character design, but it doesn't resonate quite as much as Makina and Reina's do, in my opinion. The one way it might resonate more is if Kaname was spunkier, fitting her short red hair. But Kaname actually seems pretty easy-going and very nice. I don't see any particular problems with her leadership of Walkure, but she does seem to cede a lot to Mikumo at times. I mean, Mikumo really seems to take charge during the big performances, and in giving tough love to the new recruit Freyja.

Really, Kaname is to Mikumo what Arad is to Messer. Kaname and Arad are the bosses you'd like to have if you just want to have a good time and do decently well at your job, but Mikumo and Messer are the bosses that are most likely to get you to reach your full potential. From a viewer's perspective, this gives Mikumo/Messer an edge over Kaname/Arad.
Old 2016-05-09, 20:19   Link #30
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Really, Kaname is to Mikumo what Arad is to Messer. Kaname and Arad are the bosses you'd like to have if you just want to have a good time and do decently well at your job, but Mikumo and Messer are the bosses that are most likely to get you to reach your full potential. From a viewer's perspective, this gives Mikumo/Messer an edge over Kaname/Arad.
And that sort of pairing is great for getting things done; the CO is the reasonable one who can unify the group, the XO is the one who is responsible for knocking heads together until the job is done, and also draws all the complaints away from the CO.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-09, 20:29   Link #31
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas Free Zone View Post
And that sort of pairing is great for getting things done; the CO is the reasonable one who can unify the group, the XO is the one who is responsible for knocking heads together until the job is done, and also draws all the complaints away from the CO.
Good point. There's definite strengths to this overall setup. It's kinda the boss equivalent of a good cop/bad cop routine.
Old 2016-05-18, 00:10   Link #32
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Mikumo been my favorite Walkure member so far, something about wise and mature sexy idol getting my attention. My only problem is probably that ridiculous hair style of hers.
Old 2016-05-18, 13:20   Link #33
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD View Post
My only problem is probably that ridiculous hair style of hers.
Her hair seems kind of alive sometimes, so I think its ridiculous shape is not exactly a matter of style.
Old 2016-05-20, 01:36   Link #34
Key Board
Carbon

Mikumo is something ... different.. but we don't know what she is yet.

1) Protodevilin
2) newest gen Android
3) Protoculture relic / legacy

Personally I'm leaning towards Hatsune Mikumo
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-20, 01:57   Link #35
Kazu-kun

All this talk about the true heir of the Protoculture coupled with the fact that Mikumo could "hear" the Protoculture ruins, make me think Mikumo herself might just be the true heir.
Old 2016-05-20, 02:30   Link #36
Key Board
Carbon

It's possible
If Macross Zero is any indication, sometimes Protoculture leave back up plans..
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters