AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-03-31, 13:53   Link #21
thomasvye
Delurking...

Website has updated today with a short pictorial summary of Episode 1, which broadcasts Tuesday (4th April)....doesn't give much away (thankfully), but is interesting for more screenshots.

http://www.garakan.com/story_episode.html
Old 2006-03-31, 14:20   Link #22
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Those territorial ships look interesting. I wonder how the creators rationalize the physics of their existance. I mean, one thing is a Island-3 type colony (from Gundam) that actually has scientific base under it, but a slab of land floating in space?!

Based on the screenshots, it looks like they have developed a very unique and thought-through world (the crypto-typewriter looks cool, very lastexileish), but the detail and complexity of animation might be weaker. For some reason, I feel a lot of Trinity Blood emanating from the ball shots. And that is not a good thing.

Of course, that's just looking at the shots. We'll see how it pans out pretty soon.

The text is the same as the story intro, by the way, so, nothing new here.
Old 2006-03-31, 14:26   Link #23
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Not to mention the glass space ship (there was me thinking 'Garasu No Kantai' was metaphoric); a neat idea but not very practical lol. Still the mix of space and Victorian era technology holds promise and yeah, the more I see the more Last Exile vibes I get from this too...
Old 2006-03-31, 14:26   Link #24
thomasvye
Delurking...

Yes, I like the look of the sparkling ship that looks like a chandelier! It looks very cool; that amplitheatre, with the huge proscenium arch, also looks pretty epic. The design seems to have some scale.
Old 2006-03-31, 17:41   Link #25
BluWacky
尻の竜

Just finished watching the first episode - rather annoyingly, Bigglobe are now hosting it for half the price! I don't know if they charge multiple times per viewing or anything, otherwise I'd give you all my Nifty account details so you could watch it (as expected, it's a DRM-encrypted WMV file).

Some non-spoilery thoughts first, since the first episode hasn't "aired" yet:

No OP, the ED is a standard J-rock song with very nasal vocals. The music in the episode is really good - sweeping, epic orchestral stuff, by far the best thing about the show.

The show looks fine, but I don't think it's got a very good animation budget - it doesn't come across as awful or anything, but there's very little beyond standard anime stuff. MrProphet's comments about it looking like Trinity Blood seem quite valid - pretty in stills, but not huge amounts of animation (and there's nothing in the first episode cel-wise that really compares to the best moments in Trinity Blood i..e Abel going Krusnik on everyone) The CG looks surprisingly good - it works in space because it doesn't have to "blend in" with anything else so much, although the last shot suffers from choppiness and blending problems - you can tell GONZO's involved...

Content-wise (without spoilers), while I'd have to go through it again to really tell for sure, the show hasn't grabbed me yet but neither has it immediately turned me off; I don't think the episode works as well as I think the writers intended it too as it's not quite exciting enough, but I suppose it establishes the world setting quite well. I'll watch the second episode, certainly, but at this point I wouldn't expect anything particularly fantastic, but hopefully a solid series.

Spoiler for Plot related stuff:
Old 2006-03-31, 17:58   Link #26
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Thanks for the rundown, BluWacky.

So, is it interesting? Is there promise of future stuff going down somewhere? In other words, any optimism from this show, or is it yet another GONZO flop in the making?
Old 2006-03-31, 18:35   Link #27
thomasvye
Delurking...

Well, I am going to defy convention and say that if it's like Trinity Blood I'll be perfectly happy. Unlike everyone else, I loved Trinity Blood, so I have no problem at all. ^__^ (I liked Speed Grapher too).

Ah, it's a shame not having access early. But it's on on Tuesday, I think, and I desperately need something to replace the enormous gap in my life left by the ending of Noein.

Sorry, I have to white text my spoiler comment as I couldn't find anything in help to tell me how to make a spoiler cut...
I am very surprised that Michel is a woman...well, I guess I'll get used to 'her' but traditionally, token Amazon warrior women annoy me (I guess that's why I immediately assumed Michel was a boy), so....well, I'll have to see.
Old 2006-04-01, 02:35   Link #28
wao
OK.

Thanks for the summary, BluWacky. Well, it doesn't seem to go below or above my expectations, so I guess I can just watch the first episode while enjoying it.

Though a number of other watchers have been wanting to treat it like Aquarion as first... as a "neta-anime" (kind of like a huge freaking joke). Yet the show isn't meant as one, they've all got serious faces and the direction doesn't seem like a joke... eh, whatever.

If it turns out sucky one can always stop watching it, after all.

I still maintain that Michelle reminds me of Silvia, somehow or another. I guess it's cos of those episodes where the character designer corrected the faces in Aquarion.
Old 2006-04-01, 06:04   Link #29
thomasvye
Delurking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Though a number of other watchers have been wanting to treat it like Aquarion as first... as a "neta-anime" (kind of like a huge freaking joke). Yet the show isn't meant as one, they've all got serious faces and the direction doesn't seem like a joke... eh, whatever.
Again, if it's like Aquarion, I'll be ecstatic! That was such a great show. I thought it had just the right mix of cheesy comedy and action and romance. I wish there was more Aquarion...I know the story ended, but...there should still be more! (And if Michel is like Sylvia, then my balance is restored and I'll be happy - I loved her and her crazy brother obsession... )

All of these comparisons to shows I like are making me very happy.

It may be that it's not meant to be a *joke* show, but that the tone that develops might be like...I don't know how to describe....dramatic and romantic and overblown, but not taking itself too seriously - like the old Errol Flynn swashbucklers.
Old 2006-04-01, 06:05   Link #30
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

I don't want it to be anything like Aquarion.

Come on, what the hell. Give me a good space opera! I can find the humor elsewhere...
Old 2006-04-01, 06:31   Link #31
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I'm going to avoid the spoilers for now as I want to watch this without too much prior knowledge, but some of the comments worry me a little; Erroyl Flynn in space? Good Lord I hope it isn't a camp space opera...
Old 2006-04-01, 06:44   Link #32
thomasvye
Delurking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
I'm going to avoid the spoilers for now as I want to watch this without too much prior knowledge, but some of the comments worry me a little; Erroyl Flynn in space? Good Lord I hope it isn't a camp space opera...
Ah no, don't take my comment as a description of the show at all - I was more trying to describe a particular type of style, as people had been making comparisons to Aquarion. I have not seen the show yet myself, only the little promo trailer!

But you know, even if it *is* a camp space opera, I would like that. I don't have a preconception of how the show's tone is going to be (except that I think it will be dramatic) and I love many different types of shows for different reasons; nothing will put me off watching it until I have seen it and made a judgement for myself.
Old 2006-04-01, 07:10   Link #33
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasvye
Ah no, don't take my comment as a description of the show at all - I was more trying to describe a particular type of style, as people had been making comparisons to Aquarion. I have not seen the show yet myself, only the little promo trailer!

But you know, even if it *is* a camp space opera, I would like that. I don't have a preconception of how the show's tone is going to be (except that I think it will be dramatic) and I love many different types of shows for different reasons; nothing will put me off watching it until I have seen it and made a judgement for myself.
I guess my post was a little ambiguous, but I was just commenting on your expectations of the show.

As for me I'm steadfastly expecting something like 'Last Exile' - dramatic, sweeping, epic and dare I say 'worthy' - so any comparison to Aquarion* concerns me.

*I know a lot of people liked Aquarion, but I thought it was a phenomenal waste of effort and energy from the very creative talents behind it. They can, and have proceeded to, do much better (Noein).
Old 2006-04-01, 07:18   Link #34
wao
OK.

I don't think the show INTENDS to be a gag anime like Aquarion. I think it is trying to be a proper serious space opera, but some (overly-critical? I haven't watched the ep, I wouldn't know) people are comparing it to Aquarion because it seems to cliche/pretentious/badly-done that they'd rather look at it as a joke.

Well, sometimes if a show is fun enough I'll ignore the bad production and silly or unoriginal story, as long as I can get into the characters and they draw the bishies.... like bishies!

Though that's really delving into true mindlessness, well, who cares, really?

Let's just wait for teh damn episode...
Old 2006-04-01, 08:07   Link #35
thomasvye
Delurking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
I guess my post was a little ambiguous, but I was just commenting on your expectations of the show.

As for me I'm steadfastly expecting something like 'Last Exile' - dramatic, sweeping, epic and dare I say 'worthy' - so any comparison to Aquarion* concerns me.

*I know a lot of people liked Aquarion, but I thought it was a phenomenal waste of effort and energy from the very creative talents behind it. They can, and have proceeded to, do much better (Noein).
Ah, you see, I liked Aquarion and Noein equally for totally different reasons (well, perhaps not equally; Noein is the best original anime I have ever seen). But that anyone thought so lowly of Aqaurion shocks me I won't bother to defend it, as it's OT, but I am genuinely surprised. It goes to show how broad tastes can be and further reinformces my intention to ignore everyone else's opinions and form my own. ^___^
Old 2006-04-05, 10:09   Link #36
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Well, I watched episode 1 and I must say that BluWacky was right on the money. This show is kinda so-so. Not bad and rather promising, but not first class either.

It felt like "Glass Fleet" was trying very hard to become Last Exile In Space, but the quality just wasn't there.

What's good?

- 3D effects and ships are good.
- Main character design (Vettii, Michelle, Cleo) is also good
- Music is interesting and fitting
- The story seems to be interesting (I wasn't bored)

What's not?

- Character design for minor people is lacking
- Cannonfodder looks like it was drawn in a hurry
- BG art is rather bland
- People breathing in space is rather non-sensical

All in all, I'll watch it because it might get better, but I don't consider this top notch, or anything. Maybe they'll manage to straighten this out.
Old 2006-04-05, 13:48   Link #37
thomasvye
Delurking...

Quote:
- People breathing in space is rather non-sensical
.......um...fantasy? Suspension of disbelief? Dramatic license?

Spoiler:

All in all...I am most rosily content. I am so content to actually have GarasuNoKantai *here* and up and running.
Old 2006-04-05, 14:05   Link #38
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I enjoyed it. Both the human aspects and the space battles. The numbers of ships were impressive. But it was kind of annoying to see the 1950s-ish effects sometimes, with the ships moving like models on strings, or as if they were in a fluid rather than outer space.

In any case, I found it promising and will be back for more next week.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-04-05, 22:45   Link #39
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

This I like. Character designs look pretty good and the story looks promising. I don't like the 3d effects but I can take it. The one complain that I have is the costume designs. I didn't get to see Cleo in full form but so far Vetti and Michele's costumes are just ... I don't know... not very appealing to this POV. Logh still rules in this department.
Old 2006-04-06, 07:56   Link #40
DaFool
Resident devil

So far the production values is a sore disappointment as we had been expecting from the website and concept art. I had expected a decent space opera, and while this takes itself too seriously, the only thing it will have going for it is plot and characters, and so far none have engaged me.

This is not to say I don't like shows with strong female leads...I enjoyed Lir's character in Ergo Proxy and Yoko's character in Juuni Kokki, but so far I don't seem to get what drives Michelle other than she being a standard off-the-shelf leader.

As far as setting its nothing that I haven't seen before. I really liked Last Exile and it did the victorian / steampunk better. Fleets of ships with crest insignias were featured before in Crest / Banner of the Stars and the battles there were far more thought-out than the cartoony ones here.

I'll need a decent sub to make a better judgement. However I admit I will be so ready to drop it.
edit: why is this in Fansubs thread? /goes check for subs again.

Last edited by DaFool; 2006-04-06 at 08:15.
Closed Thread