AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

View Poll Results: What Grade will you give for Da Capo??
4-5 Star (Heart warming, Breath Taking) 63 51.22%
3-4 Star (Great!!) 29 23.58%
2-3 Star (Some flaws Detected) 22 17.89%
1-2 Star (Not interested...) 4 3.25%
This is one damn lousy series 5 4.07%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-18, 20:26   Link #621
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

.... I'm still awke....
It was ep 3 not 4 *jinx* maybe its time for bed.

Thx you all for those answers, you'll helped me to get a good sleep, I hope.

Domo Arigato, Bye Bye, good night and thanks ^^ (Can't wait to see more of Asia ... not that you perverts ... and maybe Sakura? and also Nemu?
By the way, like other I first thought she was dead or worse, but after reading some spoilers I know now that she is alive... I hope to see more of here now I'm the pervert. )
Old 2008-02-19, 02:36   Link #622
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Now this is rating is done through my hazy memory, but what I distinctly remember from oh so long ago was that I HATED the series after the first cour. So much pointless stuff that neither advanced the plot, nor gave character development. Talking about specifically about the 'filler' stuff that they put halfway after the episode near the beginning of the second cour, because they don't have anything else to animate. If they had time to put those, might as well condense everything to one cour.

That is, if they only cut some of the introductory episodes short (was there really a need to dedicate an entire episode for each of the heroines?), and somehow compact the end all in one cour, this will be an A rating. But it would've to settle with a B-, and even that is being generous as almost half of the episodes from memory is utter garbage. Only thing that saved it from being the likes of Green Green was the end, which was very well done.

Introductory episodes: B
Episodes with 'filler' scenes: D
Last few episodes: A

Overall rating: B- (felt it took too long, though the end should be seen as it was well done.)

What I felt though was that they learned from this, as DCII was leaps and bounds better in terms of pacing. Just goes to prove that longer is not necessarily better; sometimes, one cour is all you need to tell a proper story.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2008-02-19, 04:30   Link #623
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Epic thread revival(s) is(are) epic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangalowres View Post
Okay and don't worry spoilers help me.

But.. you should be here to answer my questions, not starting a discussion just joking.

Bye Bye and good night.
I'll just watch ep 4 now, I want to know who Asia is(after seen here first with the coat I thought that she is Sakura)....
Asia is the largest continent on Earth, with its Western border roughly the Ural mountains, and its Eastern the Pacific Ocean. It covers almost 9% of the Earth's surface, and holds over half the world's population.
Continuing:
Spoiler for Aisia-chan:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
What I felt though was that they learned from this, as DCII was leaps and bounds better in terms of pacing. Just goes to prove that longer is not necessarily better; sometimes, one cour is all you need to tell a proper story.
Though I agree that D.C. II was much better with the pacing and such, the actual story and plot were much weaker, focusing very on a weak relationship between Koko and Sakurai, and too much on a more annoying tsundere Miharu.
It also lacked Kotori, which was a bit of a turn off. And lack of Naru Nanao's character designs was also a bit disappointing, the characters weren't as likeable and/or cute, in my opinion.

I also agree in that the original Da Capo(s) would have done very well as one cour series, as pointless side-stories (though somewhat entertaining), took up a good third of the series, and the first half or so could have easily been covered in fewer episodes.
While I'm here, I named my Kain in Final Fantasy IV after Minoru, though I later changed it to Archer because of his GARness, and because I was lacking a name for Edge, and decided that Minoru Shiraishi was a deserving name for a ninja.
Old 2008-02-19, 06:30   Link #624
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Epic thread revival(s) is(are) epic.

Asia is the largest continent on Earth, with its Western border roughly the Ural mountains, and its Eastern the Pacific Ocean. It covers almost 9% of the Earth's surface, and holds over half the world's population.
Where is my ham.. ah there
Here you go *bam* *squish* *sap* *booom*

Its was 02:26 and I didn't get much sleep in the last few days
So I'm a little bit dizzy ...

Bye Bye

Edit:
I think that I now fully understand what you meant with "canon".

Edit Edit:
Gnaaa I'm now at episode 11 and they are still only holding hands and watching videos.... give me a break, how old are those two.

Last edited by mangalowres; 2008-02-19 at 10:39.
Old 2008-02-19, 16:02   Link #625
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Which is ironic, given that D.C. II is actually 2-cours, just split into two 1-cour chunks. But yeah, splitting it the way they did does have the side-effect making each half seem "tighter" (but it also means that they're saving the best for last! But that's another topic...)

Quote:
Gnaaa I'm now at episode 11 and they are still only holding hands and watching videos.... give me a break, how old are those two.
Don't be mislead! It's very much a PG-13 adapation, so they're focusing more on the "pure love" aspects, but... it's pretty safe to say, Junichi did, in fact, make Nemu "a woman" in the first season, so to speak...

And hey, I liked the side stories. They were definitely weird and a bit out there, but were fun in their own way. Very unique. But if you really don't like them, you can always just skip them. In the end, though, I guess I could agree that the original D.C. story had content for 18 episodes as opposed to 26, and they just found a way to make it work. At the time, though, the idea that bishoujo game adaptation would get that many episodes was pretty unheard of (that's why they were selling it so strongly on the voice actor talent, and had those music videos in the first 6 episodes). So as I said last time we had an "epic revival" of this thread, you always have to remember the era a show was made in before you pass final judgement.
Old 2008-02-19, 19:13   Link #626
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Finished the second season.
And wow a nearly perfect ending.

The second season is more of a flush through, no really stop points a continuely story line but after the first time Aisia wanted to resurect the tree I knew what the ending would be like.
At the end of the first season I wanted a happy end but I wasn't sure at all, that they would give that to us, compared to the second season it was mostly clear...
The second season has not as many sad points as the first one, so it was easier for me to look it, but I like the first season a bit more.
But they should have made at least one episode where Junichi and Nemu spend a day together in love or more
... The end was something I really needed *gush*

There aren't many questions left, only .... how did their story continue ... did they have a good life ... why didn't they show the bear more often ... did Aisia continued her magic life and could she be happy ... ok there are some questions but the story had a close end and I feel kind of happy.

If there was a game with the story of the second season, could someone tell me about it? The different endings? The canon ending? Did you see more of Nemu and
Junichi?

I will start to watch Da Capo II tomorrow and I hope that I get the same feeling as both seasons had given me.

Arigato to you people for answering my questions.
Arigato to the fansubers even if they don't read this ^^ they made a good job.
Arigato to the writes, designer, production firm and and and for this awesome show.

Did I forget something... I don't know but this thread/post wont disappear ... I hope

Bye Bye

PS:
And fear my question while/after seeing Da Capo II

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Don't be mislead! It's very much a PG-13 adapation, so they're focusing more on the "pure love" aspects, but... it's pretty safe to say, Junichi did, in fact, make Nemu "a woman" in the first season, so to speak...
Thats why every anime needs more ecchi
Old 2008-02-19, 23:22   Link #627
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
There aren't many questions left, only .... how did their story continue ... did they have a good life ... why didn't they show the bear more often ... did Aisia continued her magic life and could she be happy ... ok there are some questions but the story had a close end and I feel kind of happy.

If there was a game with the story of the second season, could someone tell me about it? The different endings? The canon ending? Did you see more of Nemu and
Junichi?
Well, the second season wasn't based on a game, though it had some elements in common with a manga series called Da Capo Second Graduation. Basically, though, the Second Season is all they wrote.... except for a few points that will come back in D.C. II...
Quote:
And fear my question while/after seeing Da Capo II
Just be sure to do it in the D.C. II thread instead of this one. (And, keep in mind, the second half of D.C. II hasn't aired yet -- so when you finish the first 13 episode with questions in your head, you'll have to wait 'till April to find out!)
Old 2008-02-20, 05:19   Link #628
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, the second season wasn't based on a game, though it had some elements in common with a manga series called Da Capo Second Graduation. Basically, though, the Second Season is all they wrote.... except for a few points that will come back in D.C. II...Just be sure to do it in the D.C. II thread instead of this one. (And, keep in mind, the second half of D.C. II hasn't aired yet -- so when you finish the first 13 episode with questions in your head, you'll have to wait 'till April to find out!)
Ufff dind't knew that DC II wasen't finished yet. If i had known that I would have started this question and old memeroy round in that thread, sry.

Don't think that anything will hold me back from asking questions but I will ask them there.

Bye Bye
Old 2008-04-04, 00:41   Link #629
FatalMemory

I didn't think it was possible to find a more annoying pest of a love interest then Kaede from Shuffle, but Nemu just takes the Cake.

At least Canvas 2 convinced me to like Elis enough to accept her as the winner, I wish Nemu would've got on a plane to somewhere, and never come back.

Besides that, this series had hardly enough comedy or fanservice to make up for being almost devoid of drama.
Old 2008-04-04, 01:21   Link #630
DanielSong39

Yeah, Kotori got the short end of the stick - when the only other girls that hang around him are the guy's sister and cousin, you have every right to believe that you're the frontrunner. Unfortunately Jyunichi is a confirmed siscon and no one was going to shake him from that path...

Sakura deserves some sympathy as she competed fairly with Nemu for Jyunichi's love and came out on top. Their eternal love was sealed by the sakura tree's magic, only to be thwarted as Nemu stole Jyunichi away from her. Ah, the fate of a jilted lover...

As for Nemu, she did her best to keep Jyunichi for herself, but found that Jyunichi and Sakura's promise was binding. She may have succeeded in winning Jyunichi over for now, but she had to pay the ultimate price - as the sakura tree caused her to be frail and eventually led to her premature demise...

But never fear, because their spirits live on in their descendants! Yoshiyuki will learn from his ancestor's error and live up to the promise he made under the sakura tree, as he and his eternal lover will "become one"...

Last edited by DanielSong39; 2008-04-04 at 16:01.
Old 2008-04-04, 19:53   Link #631
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
But never fear, because their spirits live on in their descendants! Yoshiyuki will learn from his ancestor's error and live up to the promise he made under the sakura tree, as he and his eternal lover will "become one"...
Whether you consider this "learning from his errors" depends entirely, I suppose, on what you think the error is. And why are you talking about D.C.S.S. and D.C. II in this thread about the original D.C.?
Old 2008-05-17, 18:37   Link #632
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

I just finished the first season of Da Capo and about to start the second one but there is something i dont understand.... where did Nemu go? I mean... werent they back to lover relationship in season 1?

EDIT: nevermind xD Just finished the second season

Im glad i decided to watch the second season. Everything was explained and the ending was really satisfying. At some point i wished someone slapped Aisa back to reality.... but since everything ended for good i'll forgive her

Spoiler for ending:

Last edited by incube; 2008-05-18 at 02:03.
Old 2008-05-17, 19:45   Link #633
DanielSong39

A lot can change in 2 years... heck, a lot did change in 6 years, which was the premise for season 1.

Somewhat surprised they didn't draw more parallels between Nemu's situation in DCSS and Sakura's situation in the original Da Capo. It would've been amusing to see more broken promises... indeed, what happened to Nemu to Junichi no Yakusoku?
Old 2010-01-21, 05:58   Link #634
Myname

So why was she coughing sakura petals again?

I'm trying to watch the second season but I forgot how Nemu died (or why she got sick in the first place).

Thanks.
Old 2010-01-22, 11:33   Link #635
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myname View Post
So why was she coughing sakura petals again?

I'm trying to watch the second season but I forgot how Nemu died (or why she got sick in the first place).

Thanks.
Because Sakura was jealous of Nemu and wanted Junichi all to herself, so the Sakura Tree was fulfilling her wishes in a most sinister and unintended way. That being said,
Spoiler for Da Capo anime ending:
Old 2011-02-01, 08:20   Link #636
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
REVIEW TIME

Da Capo (DC) belongs to the better side of harems, since is tries to be more than just fan service or simplistic characters in weird relationships. It is otherwise not really fully exploiting its own merits and ends up feeling bad half the time. And with Key works looming frightfully over its head, it is not even alone in the higher ranks of the genre; so I’m not going to go easy on it. DC is also based on a long series of hentai games but the adaptation is of course taking out the naughty parts and makes the whole thing feel like a joke. It is a usual treatment to the genre; those who want more must play the games and thus fill the industry’s pockets.

Let’s start with the story, which is the thing most of its kind hardly bothers with. The premise is indeed very catchy as it involves an island of evergreen sakura trees, where wishes are granted. Most characters in the story also have a supernatural element to themselves, like the protagonist being able to see other peoples’ dreams, a girl reading thoughts of others, a loli-looking high-schooler, an android, a cat maid, and so on. The story makes sure it use all that as part of an overall plot and doesn’t simply have them there as a useless dressing and sexual fetishes, thus it is nice to see such touches in an otherwise predictable genre. The worldview of the setting is like that of dreams, where people have desires and problems that need to be resolved in order to move ahead in life and the magic of the island helps them in their struggle. Most of such problems have to do with unusual traits that others must accept or with you having to find a way to use them properly. All these elements are what effectively make the show to stand out from all others of its kind.

Unfortunately, they are as I said not fully exploited and a show that could be heavy on character drama is rather left to be just a typical light love comedy with some weird stuff going on in it. Almost half of the episodes are practically fillers, with many more being recaps or simply introduction to a secondary character. Heck, one third of all episodes are spin-off scenes about singing and other similar nonsense. Even the characters themselves are not all looked into their issues as much as some others, effectively having a cast of numerous side characters and a few major ones, who also take part in the main romantic conflict. For a harem, only two girls and a guy feels a bit poor, considering there is a dozen of them present. And from all possible pairings, why are all the major ones only incest-related? Shouldn’t they be the hardest? And as usual, we are just left to assume all girls fall for the same blunt archetype, when he is nothing special as usual. Well thanks for ruining the otherwise catchy idea.

As much as I liked the setting and the character supernatural traits, I just can’t overlook how most were hardly given the attention they needed to become great in my mind. The ending is another issue to consider, as it feels way too weird for its own good, as if it tried to be special by having a NGE ending, when in reality it wasted more than half its duration in aimless comedy and then threw in something weird just to win the last impressions. That is why I consider both story and characters to be half-good and give them the base score (5).

Art and Sound are very good for this type of show. Many praise its details and soundtrack but I personally wasn’t amazed with all that. There are way too many scenes where the characters are poorly drawn and the animation is just a few frames of blobs going back and forth. And the music, as dreamy as it was, is not something memorable for me. Voice acting is quite good in terms of passion but squeaky voices were never my thing. You can say I even disliked all those silly accessories many girls wear that move as if they have a will of their own. Seriously, if one watches Clannad this will feel bad in overall. But I will be lenient on them and still give a good score for the dreamy setting of the sakura trees and the dialogues around several issues which are not always about breast sizes and incest romances (8).

Is it a great anime? Not for me. It could have been if it focused a lot more on those funky elements with the magic and the character dramas and had more girls going bold with the main male. I give Value and Enjoyment the base score again (5).

Overall Score: 6/10

////////////////////

And now some few extra info about the later seasons, as I won’t bother making more reviews about DC. THEY ARE WORSE ALL THE WAY.

In Da Capo 1 season 2, some well established characters from this season are removed and replaced with far less interesting ones and acting as if all the resolution of the first finale never happened. And the setting is no longer so dreamy or magical, while the plot is mostly fillers and the conclusion just typical and uneventful.

In Da Capo 2 seasons 1 and 2, the series returns to the same concept of the magical sakura trees, as the scriptwriters probably found out that this was what made the original good. The cast is entirely different, as the story happens many decades in the future and again involves the granting of wishes. Unfortunately, by now the formula felt too tired and the new cast was far less interesting and far more sexualized. Although the ending tried to be powerful and WTF once more, it turns out the same trick doesn’t work equally as well as the first time. This anime is basically a more sexual and dark rehash of the first series, with the first season being considered the worst of all installments and the second being the best.

In Da Capo If, it is just a small OVA show, in an alternative setting where the lead male of Da Capo 1 chooses a different girl. Well, it’s part of the new trend of resetting the story and having the lead choosing someone else, just to please the fans of a different girl. It is not much of a story other than fan pleasing.
Old 2013-01-23, 00:28   Link #637
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I know its a bit too late but I wish to vote and give my commentary regarding the first Da Capo...

I have no plans to watched Da Capo (because of the damned 76 episodes) at first but since I felt that I have to watch the original and second to be an opening for the third installment of the series.

Ok.

Spoiler for Da Capo Season 1 Commentary:

Now, for the second season!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
bishoujo, circus, drama, kemonomimi, romance, school life, seinen, zexcs