AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-08-15, 08:54   Link #81
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
They have...more or less

It's called RA3....
RA3 is campy. But at least it is still recognisable as a RA game. EA kill games by just turning them into something else entirely.

Face it, you would rather Generals 2 to resemble Red Alert 3 than what it is becoming right now.
Old 2012-08-15, 08:58   Link #82
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

True...

Next thing we know, there will be a new announcement saying they are going to merge the MMORPG concept with RTS for this....
Old 2012-08-15, 09:00   Link #83
KBTKaiser

Too bad Petroglyph kinda beat them to the punch with that one. Granted, Petroglyph IS composed of WESTWOOD veterans as well as some of the EA LA vets.
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 09:02   Link #84
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
They have...more or less

It's called RA3....
RA3 was fine. sure is not as strategic as RA2. but it still fun game and have C&C campy experienced (and fun mod )

to be honest i expected to learn mess from C&C4 since it bombed badly. but never expected from them to go much worse!

not to mention they already have F2P C&C. i dint expect them to go this way

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 09:09   Link #85
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

It's bad for me because C&C was one of the games that I grew up with. I was pumped upon hearing about Generals 2, but this happens... I don't know what to say.
Old 2012-08-15, 10:20   Link #86
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Lookie here. I told people to keep their expectations low for this title and I do not know how many people heed my warnings but it seems I have a vindication of sort now.

About this move to make C&C and online only game, I can see EA's reasonings if we look the CoDs and SC. People buy the game for the online multiplayer, they do not care about the campaign, some don't even touch it. So why bother ? Just do away with the single player and save the budget for something else and widen the profit.

What really interest me is that they are making this free. EA had never done something for nothing before and they never will. So how are they going to get their returns ? I think it will be along the line for paying real money so one has the rights to access higher level of techs or a new faction.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 10:34   Link #87
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Lookie here. I told people to keep their expectations low for this title and I do not know how many people heed my warnings but it seems I have a vindication of sort now.

About this move to make C&C and online only game, I can see EA's reasonings if we look the CoDs and SC. People buy the game for the online multiplayer, they do not care about the campaign, some don't even touch it. So why bother ? Just do away with the single player and save the budget for something else and widen the profit.

What really interest me is that they are making this free. EA had never done something for nothing before and they never will. So how are they going to get their returns ? I think it will be along the line for paying real money so one has the rights to access higher level of techs or a new faction.
See, C&C and RA are famous for single player. On the other hand the multi-player never worked out properly, that's why it doesn't have a large pro gaming scene. C&C is NOT Starcraft.

So what EA is doing is to kill the most distinct part of the franchise that separates it from the competitors, and promote the weakest aspect of it...

I do not know anyone who bought RA3 or Generals just for multi-player.
Old 2012-08-15, 10:35   Link #88
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

EA ruining another franchise? Can't say I'm terribly surprised.
Old 2012-08-15, 10:42   Link #89
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
EA ruining another franchise? Can't say I'm terribly surprised.
It just looks like EA wants to make online only micro transaction social games. So they are grabbing random game properties they own and jam them into the slots to meet a quota.

This is worse than just ruining franchises; they are murdering them in ways that are pointless. Games that could have sustained entire companies by themselves are being ground down into minced meat, to be turned into dog food. It's just SAD.
Old 2012-08-15, 11:09   Link #90
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
So EA has killed Mass Effect, C&C, AND Generals.

Now we are just waiting for them to kill Red Alert as well.
RA3 was sucky enough; lets not beat a dead horse. Yeah maybe as an extremely generic cookiecutter RTS RA3 was okeyish, but looking at the reaction of my friends who were really big fans of RA2, I'd say it was a big failure.

IMO, RA3 and C&C4 (along with things like Dungeon Siege 3) are the "anti-fanservice" games; just riding the hype of previous titles and fucking everything up. You'd think companies would know better.
Old 2012-08-15, 11:33   Link #91
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
You know a lot of people say change is good....but when it comes to changing your identity it's just....I don't know but stupid.

I hope this game fails miserably or the hate is so great that EA backs out.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 12:50   Link #92
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Also one more thing that nobody seems to mention but really irked me in the trailer.

Where's the BIG ASS BASE? From what I saw, there's some neutral structures, a lot of units and 1 (ONE) base looking structure. Please don't tell me it's C&C4 all over again.

I understand having purely unit based RTS is like this multiplayer wet dream or something but I want my giant ass base!
Old 2012-08-15, 12:59   Link #93
Skane
Anime Snark

I'm pretty neutral about this, since the C&C series kinda ended for me when Westwood ended. It holds a lot of nostalgia for me as the original C&C was what formally introduced me to PC-Gaming. While the majority of my school were playing Warcraft-II, I was playing C&C.

That said, it just bugs me why they even bother to label it as C&C, if they are not going to utilise what made C&C, C&C. It looks like it might be a fun game, but they're are just generating ill-will by twisting the knife.

"Hey C&C fans! Remember that game? Check this out."
*applies salt*

Call it "Tank Spam: The Game" or whatever, but please stop with the corpse-humping. You are only making it easier for me to dismiss this product and motivating me to discourage sales by word-of-mouth.

If you're not going to make a C&C game, don't call it C&C.

Cheers.
Old 2012-08-15, 13:13   Link #94
LeoXiao
思想工作

RA1 was dated but fun. RA2 was a bit too silly for my taste but was still really fun. Generals and ZH were fun and have some good mods.

RA3 looks like it took all the overly cartoony parts of RA2 and tripled it...ugh. This new generals thing looks like some generic sci-fi BS. It'll probably be UN vs terrorists, like that isn't done to death already.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 13:44   Link #95
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
RA1 was dated but fun. RA2 was a bit too silly for my taste but was still really fun. Generals and ZH were fun and have some good mods.

RA3 looks like it took all the overly cartoony parts of RA2 and tripled it...ugh. This new generals thing looks like some generic sci-fi BS. It'll probably be UN vs terrorists, like that isn't done to death already.
You never played the original or tiberian sun + firestorm? Those were my favorite C&C games.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 13:59   Link #96
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Yes go play the Tiberium Sun series. It still looks decent even now, though the high resolution you have to play it to get sharp graphics kind of spoils the atmosphere.
Old 2012-08-15, 15:34   Link #97
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Free to play? How is that going to work? Are they going to make it so that to unlock certain units in certain factions you have to pay for them? Sounds pretty sketchy to me.

I was looking forward to this game after Company of Heroes 2, but it may be that I might just stick with CoH 2.
Old 2012-08-15, 23:12   Link #98
freshoutofthepan

What happened to the AI generals spouting nonsense as you annihilate their units in ZH challenge mode. Only in Single Player man, that was the main pull factor for me. I'm going back relic from now on.
freshoutofthepan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 23:23   Link #99
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshoutofthepan View Post
What happened to the AI generals spouting nonsense as you annihilate their units in ZH challenge mode. Only in Single Player man, that was the main pull factor for me. I'm going back relic from now on.
Looking forward to CoH2 too?

Natch.
Old 2012-08-16, 10:45   Link #100
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
You never played the original or tiberian sun + firestorm? Those were my favorite C&C games.
Hm, perhaps I ought to check them out.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote