AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

View Poll Results: Hayate no Gotoku - Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 2 4.17%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 29.17%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 22.92%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 12.50%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 16.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 10.42%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 4.17%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-02, 22:15   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Hayate no Gotoku - Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Episode 1 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Hayate no Gotoku, Episode 1.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2012-10-03, 10:49   Link #2
Dr. Casey

Just a little over an hour until the new season starts! I hope it's two cour.

And a reminder that this should be in Current Series now.
Old 2012-10-03, 13:29   Link #3
Midonin
Last Engage

I don't want to turn every episode's commentary into a lament of the loss of narrator, so I'll get this out of my system now.

O voice in the heavens, departed from this series, your snarky presence will be sorely missed. Though Wakamoto has other commitments, in the back of my mind, you're still watching the goings-on, offering commentary on the goings-on as you are wont to do. You had a good run, sir voice.

The Yuru Yuri-esque blatantly fourth-wall breaking opening and closing segments will do. And I'm partial to anything with a clock motif, and Ruka serving as sort of a Greek chorus intrigues me enough with symbolism that I'm willing to stick around. The tone wasn't as laugh-a-minute as the first (and my favorite) season, but it had enough of a gag density that I enjoyed it more than the second season. If they keep up this tone, it should make for a fun ride.

As someone who watches love comedies primarily for the comedy, all I'm asking is for a few good jokes, some moments that make me laugh. If they can manage that and an interesting storyline, all the better.
Old 2012-10-03, 13:46   Link #4
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Wait a minute... they're not living in the inn anymore? So this is like a 'future filler arc' of sorts? Bah, and here I was expecting more A-tan.

Overall, not bad. I like the new art better than the old one, but quite odd this is a bit more dark and less comedic than what I am used to Hayate. Meh, whatever, as it has been three years (really, three years?) since the series, and I like the cast well enough to continue this through.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2012-10-03, 14:02   Link #5
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Wait a minute... they're not living in the inn anymore? So this is like a 'future filler arc' of sorts? Bah, and here I was expecting more A-tan.
It's an anime-original story (concepts by the original manga author) not part of the manga continuity.
Old 2012-10-03, 14:48   Link #6
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Lack of narrator is fail.

Otherwise I guess it's not bad so far. Looking forward to see what it will bring.
Old 2012-10-03, 15:41   Link #7
Linkark07
Yokoso Gypsy

No Wakamoto? Gonna miss my favorite narrator.
Old 2012-10-03, 16:15   Link #8
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Not a bad start - a coherent plot was never Hayate's strong point, but looks like this series may actually have a solid plot to it alongside the comedy, which is a plus in my book. I can't say I'm crazy about the slightly different character designs compared to the first or second season, but they grew on me and by the end of the episode I almost didn't notice. Not as jaw-droppingly different from what came before it as Futakoi Alternative was to Futakoi, but although I had low expectations I enjoyed it so far. It seems more like an original story more or less bolted onto the existing Hayate universe rather than a complete from-the-very-beginning alternate retelling, and that's not a bad thing.

Somehow I can't look at Ruri without thinking of Konata from Lucky Star or Tsumiki from Acchi Kocchi though, seems like the long blue hair with an ahoge thing is a popular character design these days...
Old 2012-10-03, 16:18   Link #9
Dop
Mmmm....

Hmmm... Not keen on new character designs, but it's been a while, so long in fact that it was only reading this thread that reminded me of the epic narration.

The jury is still out on this one, I think I'll have to give it a few episodes to get the flavour.
Old 2012-10-03, 16:51   Link #10
Acadia

If someone asked me how this new Hayate ranks up with the other seasons, I'd hesitantly say it's seems pretty good but I enjoyed season 2 a bit more than this. It sorta looks like Hayate, Nagi seems to gotten more stupid & selfish, animation is all over the place with cool backdrops (wtf happened to Nagi's house?) and goofy character designs. No Hinalove, hampster, or god(narrator).

There seems to be a cool story going on, I don't know if they should have gone this route at all. From someone who never read the manga and just watched the anime, it sucks I don't get to see what all the hype A-tan is about. It sucks I don't get my hampster. It sucks I don't get my Hina focused anime series. Instead we get whining Nagi who seems way more annoying than usual. *sigh*

I gave it an 8, probably regret that now and should have voted a 6 instead. Oh well. We'll never get our Ani-suki admin to create another poll where all the choices are 11 in whatever expression of Hina you fancied. That was a great poll for that S1 ep, btw. I loved it.

Last edited by Acadia; 2012-10-03 at 17:40.
Old 2012-10-03, 17:10   Link #11
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Well... It honestly wasn't interesting.
Other problems:
1th, the character designs became too close to the manga's. With no doubt, when Hayate was a morning anime, the designs was a lot better.
2th, I know it has been a long time since the previous Hayate anime, but Kugimiya has clearly forgotten Nagi's voice. Now it is more like... I don't know, Kagura from Gintama? Sabato from Dokuro-chan?
3th, what is that ED? I don't even know who that character is (Luka or something from the PV thing at the beginning of the episode), but I don't have interest in staring at her the whole time. Please show some of the rest of the cast?

Anyways, the previous seasons were just a lot better, a lot more comedic, and the atmosphere was more enjoyable. It wasn't that incredible, but the Wakamoto narration missing is a minus too.

The manga itself was not that interesting and I eventually dropped it, but at least since this is animated and doesn't continue from some part of the manga I never read and there is nothing else to watch today, so I will continue watching it to see how it turns out.
This is the first episode after all, so maybe it will get better (<--flag).

PS: This long-blue hair girl.......... I swear I saw her somewhere else before... there (Acchi)? Or maybe here (Kocchi)?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2012-10-03, 18:05   Link #12
Mephos

Well, the character designs (that I hope I will warm up to), lack of Wakamoto, are pretty much the reason I didn't give it a perfect, but so far, nothing is in the realm of bad, so I have some hopes for this and hope it succeeds.
Old 2012-10-03, 18:11   Link #13
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

first I should say, Welcome Back, Hayate series!

art and story are more darker than previous season....
Hina still hasn't made her appearance yet...

Spoiler for current timeline:

so many Suirenji Ruka...
the story is still plain right now... but as manga reader it will excite me so much because I want to see each character's relationship after leaving the inn

that Nagi-imouto is so similar with Tsumiki from Acchi Kocchi...
Old 2012-10-03, 20:34   Link #14
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I've already resign to the fact that we'll most likely never get to see Athena in Anime form, EVER. I mean clearly there's a message here when even characters like the idol Ruka and 'that other girl from the movie' who appears later than her in the series are in Anime form before her. Also, what's with their characterization of Nagi? They seem to keep looping her character development over and over again, never moving from the brat to mature and back to brat phrase.

Once again the tone of this season is different from the second one, which in turn was different from the first one. It's neither good nor bad for me, just different. Going for the 'mysterious' and 'theatrical' feel it seems.

And finally one amusing fan fact; there's something strangely appropriate in casting Iguchi Yuka as Kugimiya Rie's (supposedly) imouto
Too bad it's the wrong studio who did it.
Old 2012-10-03, 20:46   Link #15
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
The Chibiness of Nagi is awesome!!!!!
Old 2012-10-03, 21:28   Link #16
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Hayate is back with beautiful visuals and more awesomeness it seems. I just got home and the first episode was really amazing, and the twist at the end with Nagi's supposed little sister Ruri was a unique and interesting twist on things. I'm truly interested to see what kind of directions they'll take with this development.

None the less really great episode, Hayate is back, really great start to kick off the fall season. The ED or OP is really catchy and pretty.
Old 2012-10-03, 21:51   Link #17
Rhapsody

Send a message via AIM to Rhapsody Send a message via MSN to Rhapsody Send a message via Yahoo to Rhapsody
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
2th, I know it has been a long time since the previous Hayate anime, but Kugimiya has clearly forgotten Nagi's voice. Now it is more like... I don't know, Kagura from Gintama? Sabato from Dokuro-chan?
I actually thought the same. It reminded me of Kagura more so than her old Nagi voice.
I haven't watched Hayate in awhile though, so it could just be in my head.
Old 2012-10-04, 02:34   Link #18
Wolfnagi
Ojou-sama Familiar!!!!!!!

After three painful years of waiting, the newest episode finally comes out this morning and lets just say, it is awesome~!

From Ojou-sama plentiful appearance (something that I REALLY miss ;_; ) to homage from 9 months ago (really, baka butler demonic form. Did he just gained Devil Trigger during the summer arc or what?), its really make this one a good watch.

Not only that, the Nevada Incident (I calling it that cause well, it is an accident) and the clock makes me thinks this show might just goes with BTTF-style (fck me right) and who knows, we might goes into a wild ride and receive the biggest whiplash to the series ever, Baka Butler is................ (Darth Vader reference here cause I won't say it)

[mod edit: remove mention to fansubs; this show has a legal stream]

PS: I never thought I'm gonna back in AS to discuss the anime >.>

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-04 at 15:43.
Old 2012-10-04, 03:04   Link #19
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Hmm, from what I see, they seem to be trying their hands at something new. I'm all for it though, don't get me wrong on the later manga arcs as I have nothing against them, but I like seeing new things. And I want to see where they're going from here.

On a personal point of view, if it was a direct sequel, I probably won't watch it. I don't know, something just tends to make me stay away when it is.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2012-10-04, 04:21   Link #20
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

The first episode was fairly decent as a anime-original. I've really liked Ruka's design. She's more dark and decently drawn than in the previous series. A-And I like that they kept the original seiyuu's.